PDA

View Full Version : Eddie on A Current Affair

Norris Lurker
24th May 2003, 12:00 AM
Did anyone tape A Current Affair tonight? If so, could you check out Eddie's comments in the story about interstate teams doing so well.
IIRC he said something along the lines of "The AFL gives money to Brisbane and Sydney to top up the salary cap so they can field more competitive teams."
Not so. There may be salary cap concessions, but it's the clubs spending their own money, not the AFL's money. A rather misleading comment by Eddie there.

robbieando
24th May 2003, 02:13 AM
Gee Ch 9 do a fair and reasonable show on the Swans

I's like to see that

Reggi
24th May 2003, 02:48 PM
Shame our club has never cornered someone - or even sued for slander - for those kind of statements.

Mike Sheahan has said something similar on Melb radio

chammond
24th May 2003, 03:03 PM
Mike Sheahan has said something similar on Melb radio

Yeah, it's a really perplexing issue, Reggi.

McGuire has said it so often that it has almost become true by default.

I've even heard otherwise (apparently) sensible commentators like Anthony Hudson and Tim Lane trot out the same garbage without even questioning it.

No doubting that Eddie is miles ahead when it comes to media manipulation. Mind you, his image will suffer if he becomes associated with a 'losing' Collingwood - I dread to think what he will come up with if he really gets desperate.

footyhead
24th May 2003, 09:31 PM
Mind you, his image will suffer if he becomes associated with a 'losing' Collingwood - I dread to think what he will come up with if he really gets desperate. [/B][/QUOTE]

Me thinks therein lies the rub, cos what Eddie is actually doing is covering his own fat arse in the event of failer.
"Well it's not my fault we didn't win a premeirship...... Don't blame me, blame the AFL. Blame sydney , blame Brisbane..... blame anyone , ecept the the wobbles administration.
This is typical of fear mongering leaders who value the power of their own ability to manipulate the masses, over good leadership and honesty. It is Macheiavelian. And it is smart, because as any student of polatics will tell you, Macheiaveli was right. The best way to manipulate the masses (in this case - collingwood fans ), is to terrorise them with fear and mislead them with lies.