PDA

View Full Version : Mike says Baz is the best

liz
29th March 2006, 01:40 AM
Yes, it's that time of the year again, time for Sheahan to publish his top 50 players list and time for supporters of all clubs to complain how their favourites have been hard done by.

Now I know we all love to ridicule the journos, especially Sheahan, but that doesn't stop us patting ourselves on our collective backs when one of our boys hits the top of the list.

Maybe it partly makes up for him rating Kirk so low :mad: :D

Very interesting to see who has snuck in at no 50...maybe he's starting to get noticed!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18639264%255E19742,00.html

punter257
29th March 2006, 03:14 AM
it is great to see craig bolton in there. he definitely deserves it for his consistent footy in the past few years

how the hell is chad cornes top 10???

RogueSwan
29th March 2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by punter257
how the hell is chad cornes top 10???
someone has to be? Maybe Mike doesn't actually work out the list past the first five. The rest comes out of a hat without needing an explaination?

Ruck'n'Roll
29th March 2006, 09:34 AM
At least Sheehan understands that for all the Brownlows given to grassburners, for all their possession accumulation and for all the rule changers initiated by Bartlett and Co.
The most important players in the game have always been (and hopefully always will be) the KPP's.

Which may explain the Swans abysmal premiership tally, we've almost never had a A1 spine (even our TotC had Dennis Carrol at CHB).

Let's hope that Barry stays injury free and that LRT keeps developing.

NMWBloods
29th March 2006, 09:37 AM
"Bazza kicked the goal that just had to be kicked during the last quarter, and Sydney came back from the dead to pinch the flag. Hall marked on 50m, outside range for most, measured the task and delivered from 52. With conviction. With metres to spare."

I watched the GF again the other day. It really was an impressive kick. It was one at the time where you just knew he was going to kick it. Superb goal!

I don't think there is any way Hall could not have been given #1.

Now that Hall can see, I don't think Brown will be better than him.

"Brown's best is better, Hall's consistency makes him more valuable." That's possibly true if you consider some of the spectacular games Brown has played. However, I think they are so rare at the ultimate best level as to not matter and I think Hall's best can be better now.

Goodes right up there at #14.

Cousins is a bit too high IMO, same with Luke Power.

I think Kirk could have been a bit higher, but then again he's in the top 10-15 midfielders in the comp, which is a fantastic effort.

I rate Shannon Grant higher than Brent Harvey.

I don't think Gehrig belongs in the top 50 any more. I think he will struggle this year.

Why can't anyone spell Wirrpunda!?!

Great to see C Bolton finally being recognised.

J Bolton could think himself a bit unlucky.

About time Simon Goodwin was recognised.

giant
29th March 2006, 09:40 AM
#50 gives Sheahan an enormous credibility lift in my eyes - Bolton would probably be the only member of the 50 that can walk down the streets of his home town confident of being uncrecognised.

I won't read the rest of the 50 thereby enabling Mike to stay in my good books till next week's On the Couch.

sharp9
29th March 2006, 09:44 AM
Wirrapanda is spelt Wirrapanda and pronounced Wirrapunda.
When he first came on the scene he consented to altered spelling to make things easier. He has (recently) changed his mind and requested correct spelling from now on. It has caused headaches such as re-naming the not for profit Wirrapunda Foundation etc.

giant
Originally posted by NMWBloods

Yes, why can't anyone spell Wirrpanda?

http://theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/eagles-name-change-spells-trouble/2006/02/27/1141020023251.html

liz

Sheahan has actually got this one right.

The man himself (ie Wirrpanda) announced a few weeks ago in the media that everyone had been spelling it wrong for years and he hadn't really noticed before, but he now wants to put on the record the correct spelling of his name.

He is now officially "Wirrpanda".

Ruck'n'Roll
29th March 2006, 09:46 AM
Now that Hall can see, I don't think Brown will be better than him.
I hope so too, but he had cement hands in Newcastle.

Thunder Shaker
29th March 2006, 09:46 AM
With 16 clubs and a lot of stars in the competition, it is difficult to get all of our favourites listed in the top 50. But we still have five on the list, all of whom have improved their rankings from last year:

1. B. HALL Sydney Swans (No.4 in 2005)
14. A. GOODES Sydney (21)
30. B. KIRK Sydney Swans (34)
32. L. BARRY Sydney Swans (48)
50. C. BOLTON Sydney Swans (-)

I'm especially pleased that C.Bolt has made the list. He is one of those players that quietly goes about his business every week, not attracting the attention of a forward or the glamour of a midfielder, but doing his dour duty as a defender. Yet he has an impressive collection of scalps, such as holding Riewoldt to six kicks in a final. His consistency is valuable.

NMWBloods
29th March 2006, 09:49 AM
Wow - thanks for all the Wirrpanda/punda comments - on the WC site on AFL.com it's Wirrpunda. So my comment stands - no one can spell it!! :p

Lucky Knickers
29th March 2006, 09:56 AM
Great result for the Swans.
Obviously raised eyebrows over a few positions eg, Cornes, Hird etc.

Good assessment of Judd's GF performance.

Thought Everitt would be a bit higher also.

giant
29th March 2006, 09:56 AM
Wow - thanks for all the Wirrpanda/punda comments - on the WC site on AFL.com it's Wirrpunda. So my comment stands - no one can spell it!! :p

All it says is that Sharp 9, Liz & myself are so desperate for the season to start we'll read an AFL-related article about almost anything.

Did anyone catch that fascinating read about Rhett Bigland's fight with eczema in the Heidelberg Chronicle last week?

goswannie14
29th March 2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by giant
Did anyone catch that fascinating read about Rhett Bigland's fight with eczema in the Heidelberg Chronicle last week? Fascinating reading. :p

hammo
29th March 2006, 10:18 AM
No doubt about it, when Baz fires the Swans usually do.

On the flip side he is so crucial to our side and our gameplan that if he misses a game (which thankfully he didn't last year) we will struggle.

stevej
29th March 2006, 10:51 AM

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/02/27/1141020023251.html

I think he got it right!!

sharp9
29th March 2006, 10:58 AM
All it says is that Sharp 9, Liz & myself are so desperate for the season to start we'll read an AFL-related article about almost anything.

This is so disgustingly true :p

NMWBloods
29th March 2006, 11:03 AM
All it says is that Sharp 9, Liz & myself are so desperate for the season to start we'll read an AFL-related article about almost anything. Yeah - I can't believe the number of people who have read an article about how a footballer spells his name!! :eek: :)

katie-scarlett
29th March 2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah - I can't believe the number of people who have read an article about how a footballer spells his name!! :eek: :)
Let's see how many reads an article on how to spell Tadgh.
(note deliberate mispell, don't shoot me!)

floppinab
29th March 2006, 11:17 AM
We've had a Tadhg start at our junior club this year and he spells it Taidhg, so there you go.

Schneiderman
29th March 2006, 12:46 PM
I actually thought this was Mike's best effort yet. I thought Bazza should have been top 2 for the last two years (and last year he proved it too), but I'm glad to see he has finally got the recognition. Clearly the best forward in the comp by a long distance (especially with Port's midfield playing badly, Brown getting suspended every seccond week, and Lloyd getting so many injuries).

The other four players were ranked appropriately IMO, although just out of spite I think Brett should be ahead of Lenny (because he towels him up every time they play each other). Leo is higher than I would have expected, but then rightfully so. C Bolts deserves his rank - just how upset would Lethal be now?

The best thing about the list is that Goodes is only at 14. He is capable of number one, because he can play all around the game, and can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard too (unlike Judd). If he played every game like last years Adelaide game (which Mike described as 'the best game by any player in 2005', even better than Akermanis Geelong game), then he would easily top that list. Here's hoping.

j s
29th March 2006, 01:39 PM
no one can spell it!! :p
I T ;)

GB85
29th March 2006, 02:15 PM
Great to see Craig Bolton make it, but just to prove that very few notice him or rate him on BF every second person is criticising his selection in the spot. For all the talk the team won't slip under the radar it seems the individuals still will.

Thunder Shaker
29th March 2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
C Bolts deserves his rank - just how upset would Lethal be now?
I think this was the commentary when C.Bolt got his premiership medallion:

- Another one of your ex-players, Leigh?
- Yes, he couldn't get a regular enough game, so he thought it was in his best interests to go elsewhere, and we'd love to have him now because he's become a very accomplished player

TheHood
29th March 2006, 03:20 PM
Craig is the 2nd best stopper on the comp along with Ben Rutten. Others do an ok stopping job and a better counter attack, but Bolts is magic on danger men.

Only one that was a little unlucky because his start to 2005 was inconsistent and that was Ryan O'Keefe. If Pebs had starred a bit earlier, he would have been there.

hammo
29th March 2006, 03:51 PM
Agree. Craig Bolton never plays a bad game.

ROK needs to kick straight and he'll be devastating.

Piobaireachd
29th March 2006, 08:05 PM

Actually, it is not even spelt how you have spelt it. From memory it something like Wirrpanda, but it is pronounced poonda not panda and is why Wirrpunda sent his name to the AFL spelt like this.

edit: lol, I am sorry for the reiteration on the subject :)

Reggi
29th March 2006, 08:37 PM
Weird - we have no talent & St KIlda are the most talented team in the history of the world

Yet we are 5 & 5 in the top 50.

And compared to us the bottom of their playing group is junk

J Bolton is unlucky - a better player than Hayes

Hird - has been a player - but isn't he way past his best

Old Royboy
29th March 2006, 08:39 PM
B2 thoroughly deserves to be ranked in the top 50, my surprise was that Sheehan thought so too. Think back to the preliminary final - Riewoldt #5 v Bolton #50. Who won the battle that night?
Perhaps somebody is overrated?

liz
29th March 2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
Weird - we have no talent & St KIlda are the most talented team in the history of St Kilda

Only in the history of St Kilda...?

tantrum
30th March 2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by liz
Only in the history of St Kilda...?

North St Kilda is a rabble and East St Kilda are not much better, although they do have a hard-hitting full back who pops down from his usual spot at the Espy to thump a few of those guys from South St Kilda in the local derby.

goswannie14
30th March 2006, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by tantrum
North St Kilda is a rabble and East St Kilda are not much better, although they do have a hard-hitting full back who pops down from his usual spot at the Espy to thump a few of those guys from South St Kilda in the local derby. What about when Sacred heart StKilda take to the field?:eek:

Pommie Swannie
30th March 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
B2 thoroughly deserves to be ranked in the top 50, my surprise was that Sheehan thought so too. Think back to the preliminary final - Riewoldt #5 v Bolton #50. Who won the battle that night?
Perhaps somebody is overrated?

Spot on - an extremely one-sided 'contest' that night!

Talking of St.Kilda, I would tip Dal Santo to be probably the most improved player come next year's list.

Snowy
30th March 2006, 06:48 PM
Hayes is overrated and Sheahan has him way too high. C.Bolton is a good pick for the top 50.