PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Swans Vs Essendon Bombers Game Thread

Jeffers1984
1st April 2006, 06:17 PM
OK Guys this is it.. Are you ready to rumble?

swannieserin
1st April 2006, 06:27 PM
Definately! I'm wearing my gear, I've made my red and white cupcakes, I've watched the grand final and I've cooled the Swannies premiership beer.

I've got the fever!

legaff
1st April 2006, 06:28 PM
Thought i'd start the threat 40 mins early. Any pregame thoughts?

I must say im really looking forward to seeing how the swans come back after the pre-season. We never do well in the pre-season, and we never usually do well at the start of the season. But for some reason im feeling quietly confident.

I'm tipping sydney by a good 20 points tonight.

What do you guys think?

legaff
1st April 2006, 06:29 PM
Oopps. I started another match talk thread...didn't see this one.

Xie Shan
1st April 2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
Definately! I'm wearing my gear, I've made my red and white cupcakes, I've watched the grand final and I've cooled the Swannies premiership beer.

I've got the fever!

Haha. I'm not even wearing red & white. This is the first time I've been overseas while the Swans are playing (a real match). I'll keep an eye on this thread when I'm at the computer, if I don't get too homesick. :p

Red and white cupcakes? Competition for the (more famous) bikkies? ;)

Edit: Those mods are on the ball - they merged the two match threads straight away! :eek: Good work...

Mike_B
1st April 2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sydfan83
Edit: Those mods are on the ball - they merged the two match threads straight away! :eek: Good work...

I'll put that positive comment about the mods down to it being April Fools Day :p

ugg
1st April 2006, 06:39 PM
Any news on Hird and J.Johnson?

Jeffers1984
1st April 2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Any news on Hird and J.Johnson?
Wayne Carey on Saturday central just said that Hird will not play. No word on Jason Johnson though.

tantrum
1st April 2006, 06:42 PM
I'm going to be on a plane the whole match, so I hope to come out the other end to read about a Swans win.

After some of the other results this weekend, I highly doubt we'll be at the top of the ladder though after round 1.

A win by 1 point would be fine by me. Enjoy the thread. :)

punter257
1st April 2006, 06:45 PM
cant wait for this game - shame about the bloody delayed telecast over here but i'm going to try and not listen to a score

i reckon we'll win by 13 points and hall to kick 5 - BOG to Jude Bolton

Bart
1st April 2006, 07:07 PM
No Hird, but J Johnson to play. Winderlich in.

Xie Shan
1st April 2006, 07:16 PM
1.0 (6) apiece, 5 minutes in

O'Loughlin and Lloyd the goalkickers

Dermie has replaced Luffy on Triple M... :( Listening to it over afl.com.au

TheMase
1st April 2006, 07:20 PM
Umpires looking after Lloyd I see....

TheMase
1st April 2006, 07:23 PM
Um .. New opponent required for Lloyd :confused:

Glenn
1st April 2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Umpires looking after Lloyd I see....

Just the usual

A 55point quarter to the Bombers, lets hope this is a exception to the season rather than the norm :(

ugg
1st April 2006, 08:14 PM
My god that has to be the worst quarter of football under Paul Roos. :eek:

And there was no way that Heffernan kicked before the siren.

Carolyn
1st April 2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ugg
And there was no way that Heffernan kicked before the siren. Blame the umpires...

Alison
1st April 2006, 08:43 PM
Poor Leo! I really feel for him. The umpires really don't like him or is it that you just cannot touch Lloyd the Loser! One was a free against Leo but the others were not (I don't think anyway). Lloyd was holding onto Leo's jumper a couple of times but the umpires don't see that or don't want to.

Anyway I am glad Leo is back on and getting a few kicks. I actually really like Leo playing on the half back line - is able to run more and creates and sets up a lot of play. Our midfielders have picked up and putting more pressure on so the ball is not coming down as quick into Essendon's forward line.

GoSouth33
1st April 2006, 08:56 PM
Keep your hats on folks. We got an absolute caning from the umpires, but at half time we are well and truly in this game. We've got momentum without any help from the umps. Imagine how the Bombers will feel if this one gets away from them.

swans_premiers
1st April 2006, 09:02 PM
Why are we losing? I hear leo is having a bad game and the umpires but are there any other reasons?

ugg
1st April 2006, 09:04 PM
Bombers were winning the clearances in the first quarter and they just kept running the ball and playing on as fast as they could. Might cost them later if their fitness is found wanting.

Leo was unlucky with a few frees against him and there wasn't much else he could do when the Bombers had the ball and delivered to Lloyd.

We're definitely back in it though because Bradley looks really lost against Hall (touch wood).

Lucky Knickers
1st April 2006, 09:08 PM
Richards has done a good job on Lloyd. Goodes/Hall standouts. Thought Ablett had very good start.

Free kicks 21 to 11? Why am I surprised. Again it's the inconsistency that's so frustrating.

ugg
1st April 2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Richards has done a good job on Lloyd. Goodes/Hall standouts. Thought Ablett had very good start.

Free kicks 21 to 11? Why am I surprised. Again it's the inconsistency that's so frustrating.

Richards had done ok but Lloyd hasn't had the same acting opportunities he had when Leo was on him.

Holding-the-ball count: 4 to 0 against.

Lucky Knickers
1st April 2006, 09:40 PM
Baz kicks 6.
Skills letting us down.

Goodes is playing very well. Baz is the standout. Buchanan getting into things.

ugg
1st April 2006, 09:42 PM
Had chances that quarter, didn't take them especially early on. IF we get a sniff we must convert. Too many clever little kicks in the forward line at the moment. Sometimes I wish they would just have a ping at the goals.

Alison
1st April 2006, 09:45 PM
Very true. We needed to take advantage of the opportunities that quarter. What really pisses me off is that our defenders get pinned for holding jumper yet Essendon forwards can hold the jumper of our defenders and also can hold Hall's jumper and he does not get a free.

FredFlintstone
1st April 2006, 10:05 PM
"Where The Bloody Hell Were They Tonight?":(

Apologies if i have offended anyone out there but i am really shattered with our performance tonight...some standouts but really needs to be a team effort all round.

TheMase
1st April 2006, 10:11 PM
I will post on what I have seen thus far, even though I know the result (against the delayed coverage).

My ratings of the players today ...

Luke Ablett - Had patches of very good football. I think as the season goes on we will see exactly what Ablett is capable of.

Leo Barry - Got absolutely towelled up by Lloyd early on before being moved. Was great to see some of his traditional running on half back and down the wings after that. Pretty average performance overall.

Craig Bolton - I though he played quite well, moved up the ground and didn't seem to have too much of a lack of fitness. Mr consistant is in good knick. Not sure who he was on though.

Jude Bolton - Just did not do enough at the centre clearances. We seemed to be winning the taps when Jolly was in the centre, but just not reading it well at all. His disposal wasn't anything to write home about either. Very average.

Amon Buchanan - Did well around the ground and presented. Probably slightly underdone but I think we will see more of the same from Buchanan this year.

Paul Chambers - Hopeless. Average ruckman, no good skills regardless of whether he is marking, handballing, kicking or even trying to collect the ball off the deck. Jolly did a lot more whilst on ground (although was quiter than I would have hoped). Surely Doyle is a better option.

Crouch - was quiet overall but his running was first class. That tackle near the boundary line was magic. Has been injured and thus would have been slightly underdone.

Davis - Did not appear to present enough, or at least didn't have the ball kicked to him. Needs to work harder if he wants to become the star he believes he has the potential to be.

Dempster - Quiet but didn't seem to spend much time on the ground. Has been injured and thus underdone. Didn't do anything wrong per se.

Fosdike - Had patches of good work, and when he had the ball did quite well, but just did not present well enough.

Goodes - Brilliant. Other than Hall probably our best. Was all over the place and his direct oponent had little effect on the match. Looks fit and strong.

Hall - What can you say? Should have kicked the first one? Can't complain too much from a guy that kicked 7 goals. Class

Jolly - Chambers seemed to get a better run than Jolly. Was great around the ground early on and effective in the ruckwork, but players don't seem to be reading the taps.

Kirk - Did not get anywhere near as much as usual but didn't see anything to be concerned after he gets fitness under his belt.

Matthews - Did okay. Don't know who his direct oponent was though. VERY soft though. He had the opportunity to get an intercept in the 3rd term, but was caught flat footed as one of the Essendon players cut between him and another Swans player. Not good enough. He should have been on his feet and attacking the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him.

McVeigh - Didn't seem to get a whole lot of game time, but did okay when he had the ball. I have never been this blokes greatest fan, but just don't think he is built well enough for this level.

O'Keefe - Had a reasonable amount of the ball. Needs to have goal kicking practice though.

O'Loughlin - Kicked a couple of goals, but after quarter time just did not present often enough. Not much leading. However, we should be greatful he is playing in round one@

Richards - Did very well after going onto Lloyd. However, I am not sure whether this is due to his good work, OR the increased pressure in the midfield. I feel it was more the latter. Very strong mark.

LRT - Didn't get a lot of the ball. Needs to work on his kicking. Kept Lucas fairly quiet for the first few quarters so did his job without starring.

Adam Schneider - Did well when had the ball, but needs to get around it more often (not sure how much time he spent on the ground). Roos seems to have installed in him the kicking out duties as did it a few times, and did it very well might I add.

Williams - Looked alright, but like a few of the midfielders just didn't get in there and present often enough.

All in all not a bad performance as we are generally slow starters. We did miss Kennelly tonight.

We need to become more effective in the contests. When kicking inside 50, at times (particuarly in the first half) we seemed to bomb it to a contest. Whether this was because our players weren't leading effectively or not I am not sure, possibly a combination of that a congestion from the Essendon defence.

Chambers is useless.

At the end of the day we are playing a lot better at this stage of the year THIS YEAR than we were last. Hopefully that means we can lift even further come the end of the season.

We are very much underdone.

ugg
1st April 2006, 10:14 PM
First quarter pretty much killed us. We were always trying to play catch-up after that. Slow 'start' to the season indeed.

The new rules seem to have blunted our game plan of slowing the game down. We can't slow our opponents at the marking contests any more, and the umpires are calling play on pretty quickly after a mark now. Tonight was one of the more open games we have played in the past season or two.

ugg
1st April 2006, 10:18 PM
I agree with most of your assessments, Mase but I'm not sure about Ablett. He seems to be rushed when he gets possession of the ball and bombs away with that huge kick that he has.

stellation
1st April 2006, 10:20 PM

Davis - Did not appear to present enough, or at least didn't have the ball kicked to him. Needs to work harder if he wants to become the star he believes he has the potential to be.

He didn't seem to actually spend much time as a forward to be able to present. He looked to be working hard tonight to me; he ended up with 19 disposals and 8 marks (and even a tackle!).

Jeffers1984
1st April 2006, 10:22 PM
We just weren't there at all. Essendon just wanted it more and you could tell by their pressure.

ugg
1st April 2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
We just weren't there at all. Essendon just wanted it more and you could tell by their pressure.

I think we better get used to it. We're the hunted now.

TheMase
1st April 2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by stellation
He didn't seem to actually spend much time as a forward to be able to present. He looked to be working hard tonight to me; he ended up with 19 disposals and 8 marks (and even a tackle!).

I didn't realise his stats were that good.

I honestly think we need a more structured forward line. I know we won the premiership last year with this stategy, but this year and even last year our forwards seem disorientated when we move the ball fast across the pitch, having run half the ground back and then failing to lead.

Hall is the hardest worker in the AFL bar none IMO.

Jeffers1984
1st April 2006, 10:27 PM
Yep. Maybe the early loss that we had to have?

Dissapointed we didn't make the most of the kick in rule but i guess it doesn't suit our current style. Essendon used it to great effect.

PS. I'm glad we have Barry Hall instead of Lloyd, at least he earns his goals unlike that squib Lloyd who would be better suited to diving at Kings Cross than on a footy pitch.

desredandwhite
1st April 2006, 10:28 PM
Definitely agree that we are well underdone at the moment. Essendon were much slicker, and their execution was much better than ours, and it showed.

We showed glimpses of quality, but there's still a few things, like blokes dropping sitters, fumbling the balls, handballing to their teammates' ankles etc etc. I am reasonably pleased with the fightback after 1/4 time (so easy to let the head drop and get smashed).

We basically got murdered out of the middle - most of the first quarter was Essendon possessions. I thought Ablett, Hall, Goodes, Monty had good games, but most blokes need to lift their intensity 10%ish next week, then 10 more the week after.

I don't think we'll have hit our straps until round 4-5, judging on the amount of game time practice some of the players have had.

Captain
1st April 2006, 10:33 PM
I will post on what I have seen thus far, even though I know the result (against the delayed coverage).

Luke Ablett - Had patches of very good football. I think as the season goes on we will see exactly what Ablett is capable of.

Leo Barry - Got absolutely towelled up by Lloyd early on before being moved. Was great to see some of his traditional running on half back and down the wings after that. Pretty average performance overall.

Craig Bolton - I though he played quite well, moved up the ground and didn't seem to have too much of a lack of fitness. Mr consistant is in good knick. Not sure who he was on though.

Jude Bolton - Just did not do enough at the centre clearances. We seemed to be winning the taps when Jolly was in the centre, but just not reading it well at all. His disposal wasn't anything to write home about either. Very average.

Amon Buchanan - Did well around the ground and presented. Probably slightly underdone but I think we will see more of the same from Buchanan this year.

Paul Chambers - Hopeless. Average ruckman, no good skills regardless of whether he is marking, handballing, kicking or even trying to collect the ball off the deck. Jolly did a lot more whilst on ground (although was quiter than I would have hoped). Surely Doyle is a better option.

Crouch - was quiet overall but his running was first class. That tackle near the boundary line was magic. Has been injured and thus would have been slightly underdone.

Dempster - Quiet but didn't seem to spend much time on the ground. Has been injured and thus underdone. Didn't do anything wrong per se.

Fosdike - Had patches of good work, and when he had the ball did quite well, but just did not present well enough.

Goodes - Brilliant. Other than Hall probably our best. Was all over the place and his direct oponent had little effect on the match. Looks fit and strong.

Hall - What can you say? Should have kicked the first one? Can't complain too much from a guy that kicked 7 goals. Class

Jolly - Chambers seemed to get a better run than Jolly. Was great around the ground early on and effective in the ruckwork, but players don't seem to be reading the taps.

Kirk - Did not get anywhere near as much as usual but didn't see anything to be concerned after he gets fitness under his belt.

Matthews - Did okay. Don't know who his direct oponent was though. VERY soft though. He had the opportunity to get an intercept in the 3rd term, but was caught flat footed as one of the Essendon players cut between him and another Swans player. Not good enough. He should have been on his feet and attacking the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him.

McVeigh - Didn't seem to get a whole lot of game time, but did okay when he had the ball. I have never been this blokes greatest fan, but just don't think he is built well enough for this level.

O'Keefe - Had a reasonable amount of the ball. Needs to have goal kicking practice though.

O'Loughlin - Kicked a couple of goals, but after quarter time just did not present often enough. Not much leading. However, we should be greatful he is playing in round one@

Richards - Did very well after going onto Lloyd. However, I am not sure whether this is due to his good work, OR the increased pressure in the midfield. I feel it was more the latter. Very strong mark.

LRT - Didn't get a lot of the ball. Needs to work on his kicking. Kept Lucas fairly quiet for the first few quarters so did his job without starring.

Adam Schneider - Did well when had the ball, but needs to get around it more often (not sure how much time he spent on the ground). Roos seems to have installed in him the kicking out duties as did it a few times, and did it very well might I add.

Williams - Looked alright, but like a few of the midfielders just didn't get in there and present often enough.

All in all not a bad performance as we are generally slow starters. We did miss Kennelly tonight.

We need to become more effective in the contests. When kicking inside 50, at times (particuarly in the first half) we seemed to bomb it to a contest. Whether this was because our players weren't leading effectively or not I am not sure, possibly a combination of that a congestion from the Essendon defence.

Chambers is useless.

At the end of the day we are playing a lot better at this stage of the year THIS YEAR than we were last. Hopefully that means we can lift even further come the end of the season.

Agree with all this. Top post and no arguments from here.

Chambers is a total dud.

ugg
1st April 2006, 10:37 PM
Writing a player off after 1 game. Nice to see RWO hasn't changed.

Jeffers1984
1st April 2006, 10:38 PM
Some Players:

Goodes - Up for another stellar year you would think. Worked his guts out and beat his man at nearly every contest.

Hall - He is a machine and just doesn't give up at all. BOG for us today.

Buchanan - Was good apart from the goal he conceded when he squibed out of a marking contest. Really unlike bucky.

Chambers - Meh.

Jolly - Needs better support out there but was OK without being great.

C Bolts - The man is the ultimate mark of consistency.

J Bolts - Didn't get enough of it which cost us badly in the first quarter.

Ablett - Had a good 2nd quarter with his clearences but still looked a bit slow.

Superted - Did alright on Lloyd but this was mainly due to our midfield pressure. Has a good engine on him.

Kirk - IMO towelled up by Watson. He'll bounce back.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Writing a player off after 1 game. Nice to see RWO hasn't changed.

ugg, you can add me to the list along with The Mase if Chambers turns out to be even half decent let alone good.

Doyle should have played (is he injured?) otherwise Chambers should be playing against Tuggeranong.

Not writing him off - just saying he is not our second choice ruckman.

Richards did ok tonight I thought, but Goodesy and BBBBH were our best. Willo was strangely poor.

Chambers out - at least Doyle give us a marking forward option. It's OK Roosy - you dont have to prove the recylced player theory every year. Teddy might do it for you.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2006, 10:47 PM
Actually I feel a strange calm after a loss, .....must be the premiership that does it.

It is almost like a disturbance in the force.

Hopefully I'll feel it next year.

We'll beat Port next week - I know - first game in Syd. I will have been to since Plugger kicked his 1300th!

ugg
1st April 2006, 10:48 PM
Yes I agree with you that Doyle is a better player than Chambers, but with his history of injuries I think it is the right move for Doyle to play the first couple of games in the reserves.

Speaking of which, anyone know the result of the ACTAFL pre-season GF?

Bleed Red Blood
1st April 2006, 10:53 PM
Disgusting.

Bleed Red Blood
1st April 2006, 10:57 PM

I thought LRT was very good. Very.

Mathews direct opponent was Camporeale (At least in the last quarter)

swannieserin
1st April 2006, 11:03 PM
I thought richards was okay but chambers was very disappointing. also thought kirk could have been more effective, and barry had a bad game. hall did some amazing stuff but couldn't be expected to hold the team together.

the umpiring in the first half in particular wasn't that good, but I am sure the boys will be back in form for a home game next weekend.

anniswan
1st April 2006, 11:09 PM
Just home from the debarcle.

IMHO, without Goodes, LRT and CBolt we would have lost by a lot more.

The first quarter efforts by the umpires screwed us.

God I hate Essendon Scum

liz
1st April 2006, 11:11 PM
Most have said it already.

Hall and Goodes are stars.

Some of the rest are really decent players but didn't choose to show it tonight. Most made some contribution but none enough.

Maybe B2 and Monty muster a pass mark.

Having said that, I'm a lot less depressed than I was at 8pm (watching it on delay). At least the second and third quarters showed that they haven't completely forgotten how to play football. Was a tad disappointed that they fell away in that final term. The final margin flattered the Bombers just a tad but they were the better team out there tonight and deserved their win.

Final word kept for Nick Davis. He's a good player - probably more than a good player - and he wasn't the worst out there tonight. But if you're going to talk yourself up during the pre-season you better deliver. Learning to keep your feet in the contest would be a good start. And not paying out on your team mates. Hopefully he'll study the tape of that game and realise his ambition is just slightly ahead of himself at the moment.

Mike_B
1st April 2006, 11:25 PM
Lost it in the 1st quarter. After that played some decent football in patches, but also some pretty poor stuff. Will need to start much better next week and then maintain that intensity.

I'm not too upset by it all, considering we could have fallen in a heap and been belted by 100 but they stuck it and really were in the game until 10 to go, when they fell away a little.

Thought Goodes, Hall, Buchanan and Ablett were our best, while I was pretty disappointed in McVeigh and Chambers.

I would like to see McVeigh get a couple more games to prove his worth, but if his involvement and effect doesn't improve, it really will be time to give guys like Willoughby and Schmidt a run ahead of him as the season progresses.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by liz
Most have said it already.

Hall and Goodes are stars.

Some of the rest are really decent players but didn't choose to show it tonight. Most made some contribution but none enough.

Maybe B2 and Monty muster a pass mark.

Having said that, I'm a lot less depressed than I was at 8pm (watching it on delay). At least the second and third quarters showed that they haven't completely forgotten how to play football. Was a tad disappointed that they fell away in that final term. The final margin flattered the Bombers just a tad but they were the better team out there tonight and deserved their win.

Final word kept for Nick Davis. He's a good player - probably more than a good player - and he wasn't the worst out there tonight. But if you're going to talk yourself up during the pre-season you better deliver. Learning to keep your feet in the contest would be a good start. And not paying out on your team mates. Hopefully he'll study the tape of that game and realise his ambition is just slightly ahead of himself at the moment.

Yep Liz, and we hope he never says the word Brownlow again! Talk about put yourself under pressure...

Willo, Jude, Kirky, Jolly, Leo and Crouchy (wasn't that bad) need to lift next week. Monty, apart from the hea duck, looks to be almost a key link player - he really has stepped up I feel.

anniswan
1st April 2006, 11:28 PM
One good thing would be BBB's goal in the last qtr from the boundary line, so far it would have to be goal of the year.

I have yet to see the replay, but a currently watching it on Fox Footy, but I am sure that the ball went thru the Goal Umires legs.

dimelb
1st April 2006, 11:32 PM
For most of the game they played better than we did - more space and time, faster to the ball, quicker and more direct out of the middle.
And as for the song at the beginning - who changed it? And where the bloody hell was the banjo?

NMWBloods
1st April 2006, 11:50 PM
Luke Ablett - Had patches of very good football. I think as the season goes on we will see exactly what Ablett is capable of. I still believe Ablett is not going to make it as a quality midfielder. Always rushes, never seems to have enough time, and his kicking is wayward.

Leo Barry - Got absolutely towelled up by Lloyd early on before being moved. Was great to see some of his traditional running on half back and down the wings after that. Pretty average performance overall. Yep. Always suspect technique with his scragging and pushing, but has managed to get away with it for a long time. New rules will make it more difficult. Shame they don't apply those rules to Hall's opponents though.

Craig Bolton - I though he played quite well, moved up the ground and didn't seem to have too much of a lack of fitness. Mr consistant is in good knick. Not sure who he was on though. I thought he was one of our best.

Jude Bolton - Just did not do enough at the centre clearances. We seemed to be winning the taps when Jolly was in the centre, but just not reading it well at all. His disposal wasn't anything to write home about either. Very average. Yep. He may need to change his game style as the diving on the ball technique will no longer work so well.

Amon Buchanan - Did well around the ground and presented. Probably slightly underdone but I think we will see more of the same from Buchanan this year. Okay in patches although some ordinary disposal.

Paul Chambers - Hopeless. Average ruckman, no good skills regardless of whether he is marking, handballing, kicking or even trying to collect the ball off the deck. Jolly did a lot more whilst on ground (although was quiter than I would have hoped). Surely Doyle is a better option. Yep.

Crouch - was quiet overall but his running was first class. That tackle near the boundary line was magic. Has been injured and thus would have been slightly underdone. Yep.

Davis - Did not appear to present enough, or at least didn't have the ball kicked to him. Needs to work harder if he wants to become the star he believes he has the potential to be. Was very good in patches, dod some nice things, but faded later and was also not brought into the game.

Dempster - Quiet but didn't seem to spend much time on the ground. Has been injured and thus underdone. Didn't do anything wrong per se. But also did nothing.

Fosdike - Had patches of good work, and when he had the ball did quite well, but just did not present well enough. Pkay in patches.

Goodes - Brilliant. Other than Hall probably our best. Was all over the place and his direct oponent had little effect on the match. Looks fit and strong. I thought he was very good, but a few times he just ran around and actually created nothing. But was definitely one of our best (not that hard though).

Hall - What can you say? Should have kicked the first one? Can't complain too much from a guy that kicked 7 goals. Class Yep.

Jolly - Chambers seemed to get a better run than Jolly. Was great around the ground early on and effective in the ruckwork, but players don't seem to be reading the taps. Started slow but improved during the game.

Kirk - Did not get anywhere near as much as usual but didn't see anything to be concerned after he gets fitness under his belt. Same comment as J BOlton.

Matthews - Did okay. Don't know who his direct oponent was though. VERY soft though. He had the opportunity to get an intercept in the 3rd term, but was caught flat footed as one of the Essendon players cut between him and another Swans player. Not good enough. He should have been on his feet and attacking the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. I thought Mathews was just ordinary.

McVeigh - Didn't seem to get a whole lot of game time, but did okay when he had the ball. I have never been this blokes greatest fan, but just don't think he is built well enough for this level. The more I watch him play the less convinced I am that he will have a long AFL career.

O'Keefe - Had a reasonable amount of the ball. Needs to have goal kicking practice though. Thought he was beaten by McPhee.

O'Loughlin - Kicked a couple of goals, but after quarter time just did not present often enough. Not much leading. However, we should be greatful he is playing in round one@ Yep.

Richards - Did very well after going onto Lloyd. However, I am not sure whether this is due to his good work, OR the increased pressure in the midfield. I feel it was more the latter. Very strong mark. Yep.

LRT - Didn't get a lot of the ball. Needs to work on his kicking. Kept Lucas fairly quiet for the first few quarters so did his job without starring. Thought he played well.

Adam Schneider - Did well when had the ball, but needs to get around it more often (not sure how much time he spent on the ground). Roos seems to have installed in him the kicking out duties as did it a few times, and did it very well might I add. Good in patches but let down by some slow play or poor disposal.

Williams - Looked alright, but like a few of the midfielders just didn't get in there and present often enough. Very quiet.

THe first quarter was ordinary, but there are some slight mitigants of the "hangover" and very poor umpiring. The second quarter comeback was pleasing.

I was most disappointed by the second half. I thought we controlled much of the game despite playing poorly, but failed to put the score on the board. We wasted an awful lot of very gettble opportunities.

I was particularly annoyed with the last quarter. I was still confident we were going to win about 5-10 minutes in. Essendon looked gone - they were tired and slowing and we had all the run. However we messed about and failed to score a goal, and when they kicked a couple they regained the momentum.

Ordinary game. However, at least we will improve. Not sure how much the Bombers will. They will be excited by their win but I didn't really see it as particularly fantastic.

Refried Noodle
1st April 2006, 11:53 PM
I'm still drunk, but **** me,! that result was all down to the first quter which was half due to the porr umptiring.

I mean I thought the umpriing was supposed to get better?!

One of those Llyod free kicks was waranted, bu some of the others to Ess were pretty weak....

Plenty of positives to come outta this game, but @@@@@@house umpirinf in the first 1/4 is the main issue.[/ignore drunken rabble]

anniswan
1st April 2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Refried Noodle
I'm still drunk, but **** me,! that result was all down to the first quter which was half due to the porr umptiring.

I mean I thought the umpriing was supposed to get better?!

One of those Llyod free kicks was waranted, bu some of the others to Ess were pretty weak....

Plenty of positives to come outta this game, but @@@@@@house umpirinf in the first 1/4 is the main issue.[/ignore drunken rabble]

Tell us tomorrow what you really thought RN :D :D

Refried Noodle
2nd April 2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by anniswan
Tell us tomorrow what you really thought RN :D :D

Haha, no seriously, I'm not really that bitter bout the loss. Alot of improvement, which doesn;t ahve me too waorried, but some of those free kicks do.

Ok i'm done for the noght. teheeheee...:D

swans_premiers
2nd April 2006, 12:10 AM
Haha, no seriously, I'm not really that bitter bout the loss. Alot of improvement, which doesn;t ahve me too waorried, but some of those free kicks do.

Ok i'm done for the noght. teheeheee...:D

I don't think anyone really cares too greatly about tonights loss.

liz
2nd April 2006, 12:16 AM

Almost all the frees were there, albeit a couple were very soft. The Ablett HTB was harsh, I thought, while one of Lloyd's was barely there.

But you can't blame the umpires for the Swans getting absolutely smashed out of the middle for the first quarter.

I felt a bit for Leo at quarter time, because it probably wouldn't have mattered who was on Lloyd with the way the ball was coming down to him. Was glad that Leo was a decent contributor in another role for the rest of the game.

JF_Bay22_SCG
2nd April 2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ugg
I think we better get used to it. We're the hunted now.

Exactly, I think in the 1st term we struggled with the run out of the midfield of the Bombers. They caught us very off-guard. We played like a team flat after the Grand Final.

Still I saw enough fiooty there to think that once we hit our straps we will be more than fine this year.

But as Ugg said we ARE the hunted & people will be wanting to knock us off. Even if sad cases like me still see us as the little old Swans that never win anything, ie hardly a team to want to go out & destroy. :confused:

JF

numbnuts
2nd April 2006, 12:18 AM
Anyone would have thought Darren Goldspink was umpiring out there tonight. We got murdered by them as usual. Too many wasted opportunities though and that cost us in the end. Hall's poster from point blank range summed up our night!

Not too disappointed though. Back to back here we come!! :)

NMWBloods
2nd April 2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by liz
Almost all the frees were there, albeit a couple were very soft. The Ablett HTB was harsh, I thought, while one of Lloyd's was barely there. That was the one when he and Barry collided and Lloyd sprawled in the ground. Very few players would get that free kick.

The worst decision of the game was the no call of trip for O'Keefe followed up by a shocking HTB decision.

The Ablett HTB was a bit harsh, but the Kirk one in the centre was even worse.

ugg
2nd April 2006, 12:32 AM
For those who were there:

1. Did anyone see what happened with Hall at the end of the first quarter? He went down but the cameras didn't capture anything?
2. Was it only me or was the Essendon 'goal' not even close? The siren clearly sounded before he got boot to ball.

</clutching at straws>

robamiee
2nd April 2006, 12:35 AM
That Umpiring was a joke.
Fair enough if the frees to the bmbers were warranted, but it definitely didn't go both ways. Normally Umpires are reluctant to give frees in front of goal
How many goals were kicked from frees, i counted around 8 including 2 50's well one was about 65 i reckon.
Barry Hall gets absolutely mauled and cant get a kick, stick a finger on Lloyd and the whistle blows.

Playing around with footy again cost us, i dont understand why we do it, when they play direct they are unstoppable.

Barry Hall, if he keeps performing like that and the rest rally behind him, i think the year is in good shape, but we need to be more decisive and accurate.

Sanecow
2nd April 2006, 12:35 AM
Best: Hall, Goodes, Bolton C.
Missed: Ball

robamiee
2nd April 2006, 12:36 AM
I ahve to say our new ruckman needs to improve, he looked lost, not writing the guy off, but he definitely looked lost and not up to AFL level.

anniswan
2nd April 2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ugg
For those who were there:

1. Did anyone see what happened with Hall at the end of the first quarter? He went down but the cameras didn't capture anything?
2. Was it only me or was the Essendon 'goal' not even close? The siren clearly sounded before he got boot to ball.

</clutching at straws>

Sorry, I had walked out by then to cool down on the TD concourse.

Mike_B
2nd April 2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ugg

Remember that it doesn't matter when the siren goes, its when the umpire acknowledges the siren. So while it may have been a split second after the sound was heard, it may still have been before any umpire actually signalled the end of the quarter with both arms up.

anniswan
2nd April 2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by anniswan
One good thing would be BBB's goal in the last qtr from the boundary line, so far it would have to be goal of the year.

I have yet to see the replay, but a currently watching it on Fox Footy, but I am sure that the ball went thru the Goal Umires legs.

Just watched it on the replay and it did go thru the umpires legs.

Mike_B
2nd April 2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
The worst decision of the game was the no call of trip for O'Keefe followed up by a shocking HTB decision.

Watching that on the replay, I can understand the decision. It wasn't conclusive whether he was ankle tapped, or if he stumbled as a result of his heel just clipping the Essendon player's chin as he fell. Once there was no call for a free to O'Keefe, he was always going to be in trouble for HTB if he didn't dispose of it as he'd had it for a few seconds before he stumbled.

robamiee
2nd April 2006, 12:44 AM
Thinking back on the game though, except for the first quarter, we did out play them for most of the remainder of the game. though when we seem to get going and control a couple of decisions went against us, so aside from that the signs are promising.
Last quarter we let it slip a bit though, but considering we were down by 41 at the quarter break, good effort, but we will improve, we have a good newxt 3-4 games which will see us firing i reckon, by the time we play the CATS at the SCG.

BonBon
2nd April 2006, 01:15 AM
Lovely to see LRT as one of Sydney's best.

penga
2nd April 2006, 01:43 AM

Yep. Always suspect technique with his scragging and pushing, but has managed to get away with it for a long time. New rules will make it more difficult. Shame they don't apply those rules to Hall's opponents though.

To quote Paul Keating, IMO, this was the recession we had to have. I do feel for Leo and realise that the onus for Lloyd's goals should be placed on the lack of midfield pressure, however, I hope the first quarter will force Roos' hand to blood an appropriately sized fullback, whether that be Richards, Vogels or Grundy. I'd love to see Leo back to his free-wielding days, taking a few bounces, maybe a few side steps and then banging long inside 50 and I'd also love to see a fullback in the Swans side over 190cm. The dour quarter that had to happen.

SMFC
2nd April 2006, 02:17 AM
Our boys were very underdone tonight, and will be better for the run. Essendon got lucky with the bewildering umpiring decisions in the first quarter giving them a belter start.

Barring the first quarter there was some usually gritty steel out there. Should win the next two.

On Paul Chambers, one game in and he's being towelled something chronic? He was never a no. 1 ruck replacement. Doyle on the other hand has had years but seems to think Canberra or the worst ankle injuries ever (that somehow last a season) keep him down.

A ruckman takes a long time to develop. Even Jason Ball was only part-time when he wasn't the Eagles full-forward. And Hille at Essendon hasn't done much to date...

Xie Shan
2nd April 2006, 02:40 AM
RWO's first premiership hangover. A historic occasion.

At least we won the premiership to give us the hangover!

dendol
2nd April 2006, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by sydfan83
RWO's first premiership hangover. A historic occasion.

At least we won the premiership to give us the hangover!

keep thinking like that and it will be another 72 year hangover all over again.

TheMase
2nd April 2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Remember that it doesn't matter when the siren goes, its when the umpire acknowledges the siren. So while it may have been a split second after the sound was heard, it may still have been before any umpire actually signalled the end of the quarter with both arms up.

Actually ... the first arm up with no whilst means the umpire has acknowledged the siren has sounded.

Then the while is blown and the second arm goes in the air to call the end to the game.

Now whether the umpire signalled this prior to the player kicking the ball, is anyone guess. If he did it after the ball was kicked, than it was a goal.

I guess the umpire in question would be the only one that knows that, and he called it a goal, thus it was the correct decision.

Roscoe
2nd April 2006, 08:02 AM
When McVeigh was running inti goal in the last qtr I said

"he'll miss it" - I was right of course - I'm never wrong

He just misses too many easy shots on goal

Chambers - only a depth player at best. I hope he is just keeping Doyle's seat warm for him while he gets games under his belt
in Canberra. We need Doyle to play up forward as well to take a
big grab in the square. Jolly does not take enough grabs for my liking

Lucky Knickers
2nd April 2006, 08:17 AM
Didn't think Davis was that bad, thought he worked hard. There were at least 3 occasions, I observed, when he had got himself free in the Fwd50 and didn't receive a kick.

stellation
2nd April 2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by liz

I think a little too much was made by Ch10 of his paying out on team mates, he was all alone and the kick went long to a contest- he was ignored a few times in the F50, which happens, and that was probably the worst bit of downfield vision of the lot (which I imagine was his issue more than not receiving the ball himself). I was a little amused that the Ch10 lads then thought it would be fair enough for O'Loughlin to give Hall a spray about not giving up the ball to him in the goal square and hitting the post after playing on (within about 5 minutes of their whine about Davis).

I don't think he should be too dissapointed with his own performance when he watches the game, he didn't set the world on fire but one thing I did like was that he gave a solid contribution instead of just going missing all game when he wasn't getting fed the ball.

Captain
2nd April 2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Roscoe

I said the same actually, then added Malceski would have kicked it.

stellation
2nd April 2006, 09:06 AM
Typical game against Essendon, the split of goals was

Dons Free: 7 Play: 4 Mark: 6
Swans Free: 1 Play: 2 Mark: 9

goswannie14
2nd April 2006, 09:09 AM

Swans Free: 1 Play: 2 Mark: 9 Man I hate those yellow maggots. Lloyd would have won gold at the CG with his dives!!!:mad:

Mike_B
2nd April 2006, 09:33 AM

Swans Free: 1 Play: 2 Mark: 9

But as is the cliche trotted out (and rightly so), how many of those came from correct decisions and how many that should have been awarded were missed? Not like we helped ourselves either by missing reasonably gettable set shots at goal...

ROK Lobster
2nd April 2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
But as is the cliche trotted out (and rightly so), how many of those came from correct decisions and how many that should have been awarded were missed? Not like we helped ourselves either by missing reasonably gettable set shots at goal... Sure Mike, and that is a consequence of a short-arsed back line, but... I don't think that Lloyd gets manhandled any more than Hall or O'Loughlin. Mick has his jumper held about 80% of the time he is on the field...

Nico
2nd April 2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Roscoe

He just misses too many easy shots on goal

Chambers - only a depth player at best. I hope he is just keeping Doyle's seat warm for him while he gets games under his belt
in Canberra. We need Doyle to play up forward as well to take a
big grab in the square. Jolly does not take enough grabs for my liking

To me that sums up McVeigh. he has done this most of his career and you must now ask how long do you put up with his poor finishing not only at goals and his lamentable lack of pace.

I dont think he is quite up to it.

floppinab
2nd April 2006, 09:47 AM
I haven't seen the game in full, just catching bits and pieces on the replay last night.

The thing I took most out of what I saw was that I am @@@@ scared about our rucks this year.

That Hille/Lloyd goal in the last q. was a Jason Ball special. That should've been us. Jolly goes OK, but if Doyle doesn't stand up this is a problem that is going to need a creative solution.

swannieserin
2nd April 2006, 09:54 AM
On a slightly different matter ...

McPhee is one seriously UGLY dude.

Thunder Shaker
2nd April 2006, 10:07 AM
I was at the game, and the umpiring left a bit to be desired as usual. The worst decision was a HTB decision against Monty in the third(?) quarter when the umpired paid the free after the ball had spilt free and was sitting on the ground a metre away from the players. The umpire was on the blind side so he didn't see what was going on, so he paid the free on suspicion.

Thunder Shaker
2nd April 2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Man I hate those yellow maggots. Lloyd would have won gold at the CG with his dives!!!:mad:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - we should be "scoring" his dives. Every time Lloyd gets a free kick, a group of us sitting together should hold up numbers as if we're judging at the Olympics.

numbnuts
2nd April 2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by swannieserin
On a slightly different matter ...

McPhee is one seriously UGLY dude.

Hehehe everytime I see that guy I say, Man that guy is one UGLY SOB!!

elroy67
2nd April 2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Didn't think Davis was that bad, thought he worked hard. There were at least 3 occasions, I observed, when he had got himself free in the Fwd50 and didn't receive a kick.

I agree. Although I think he got free 5 times in the 2nd half. 3 times he was the only open opportuinty, and yet the ball was held up looking for another target.

Admittedly you get a much better view of the field of battle from the top of the 3rd level. I cannot believe that those were the best seats available when all the seats in the 2nd level of the docklands side wing were vacant.

stellation
2nd April 2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by elroy67
I agree. Although I think he got free 5 times in the 2nd half. 3 times he was the only open opportuinty, and yet the ball was held up looking for another target.

I think his frustration was that he was getting free and didn't seem to be being ignored so much as it seemed like the vision of the midfielders was poor and they just flat out didn't spot him or assess the situation correctly (or they had little faith in their skills to actually get the ball to him with decent delivery).

NMWBloods
2nd April 2006, 10:48 AM
The team does seem to miss or ignore Davis when he is open. However, he could also do himself some favours by taking more marks in the F50. Granted tonight they were all very tough and delivery wasn't good, but he needs to hang onto a couple more just to get himself more noticed as a marking option.

ROK Lobster
2nd April 2006, 10:52 AM
The team does seem to miss or ignore Davis when he is open. However, he could also do himself some favours by taking more marks in the F50. Granted tonight they were all very tough and delivery wasn't good, but he needs to hang onto a couple more just to get himself more noticed as a marking option. Maybe he could do an article for the Tele, and organise subscriptions for the midfield?

stellation
2nd April 2006, 10:52 AM
F50 target or not, you kick it to the open man instead of the contest if there is not much ground gained between them... even if it is LRT.

swannieserin
2nd April 2006, 11:27 AM
Watching Davis, he seems to always want to do the speccy and not the practical ... he wants to wait for someone to drop it so he can pick up the pieces.

That said, he was missed a few times when he was open, but he didn't seem to be playing up the field much. He wasn't running to the ball, he was waiting for it to come to him.

Still, he has a season to show us his brownlow winning form so I am happy to wait a few games to judge him properly.

stellation
2nd April 2006, 11:33 AM
Watching Davis, he seems to always want to do the speccy and not the practical ... he wants to wait for someone to drop it so he can pick up the pieces.

Outside midfielder/crumbing forward. Nothing wrong with it, 1 up/1 down.

at said, he was missed a few times when he was open, but he didn't seem to be playing up the field much. He wasn't running to the ball, he was waiting for it to come to him.

I thought he was spending more time around the ground than normal, particuarly for this early in the season. He seemed to be spending longer stretches in the midfield than he did reguarly last year, which is a good thing.

Still, he has a season to show us his brownlow winning form so I am happy to wait a few games to judge him properly.
19 touches ain't that bad a start to the year.

Matt79
2nd April 2006, 11:43 AM
Its only round one. We are notoriously slow starters and was not displeased with the 29 point loss. We'll be back! The swans are near certainties to win next Sunday...unfurling of the flag, big crowd..watch out Port!

msb
2nd April 2006, 11:49 AM

Chambers is useless.

Spot on! We are a month behind essendon in preparation. Umpiring was disgraceful in that first qtr though! I went to the game expecting to lose anyway and you dont take notice of round 1 really (look at last year). We should win our next 3 games.

AussieAnge
2nd April 2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
PS. I'm glad we have Barry Hall instead of Lloyd, at least he earns his goals unlike that squib Lloyd who would be better suited to diving at Kings Cross than on a footy pitch.

I agree with this. Lloyd is a great player but I really can't stand the diving. You'd have thought that he would be able to stand his ground better this season given all his bulking up.

You should see the drivel being served up by the Bombers fans on the wonderful BigFooty, they all reckon we are jealous and wish we had Lloydy on our side. No sireee, they can keep him.

cruiser
2nd April 2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by liz
Almost all the frees were there, albeit a couple were very soft. The Ablett HTB was harsh, I thought, while one of Lloyd's was barely there.

But you can't blame the umpires for the Swans getting absolutely smashed out of the middle for the first quarter.

I felt a bit for Leo at quarter time, because it probably wouldn't have mattered who was on Lloyd with the way the ball was coming down to him. Was glad that Leo was a decent contributor in another role for the rest of the game. The push in the back paid to Lucas, which resulted in him kicking a goal from 55 out, wasnt a push in the back. The two 50 metres they were paid in thye 1st quarter that brought them right up to goal were very soft. And two of Lloyd's frees in the first quarter were rubbish and the rest were soft.

The level of protection given to Lloyd by umpires is a disgrace - no other player in the AFL receives frees for the same things he gets them for.

ScottH
2nd April 2006, 12:12 PM
Regardless of the frees, they beat us hands down through the middle of the ground and centre clearances. The first term had 9-2 centre clearances, and goals were 9-2. ---> Get it out quick.

NMWBloods
2nd April 2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
The swans are near certainties to win next Sunday Please don't say things like that!!

Matt79
2nd April 2006, 12:18 PM
Please don't say things like that!!

LOL! Mate, we are the reigning premiers! I am usually a pessamist but I am determined to be optomistic this season!! :cool:

cruiser
2nd April 2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Regardless of the frees, they beat us hands down through the middle of the ground and centre clearances. The first term had 9-2 centre clearances, and goals were 9-2. ---> Get it out quick. I agree that it wasnt just the frees that costs us. Getting killed out of centre in the first quarter and not kicking enough goals despite all our possession in the second half were major contributing factors to our loss.

Nico
2nd April 2006, 12:25 PM
My observations after going last night.

First quarter our centre bounce work was awful. Looked asleep.
Regardless of the free count we let the ball into their forward zone too easily and qiuckly.

On the frees for HTB. It is not only the inconsistency but in almost all cases Essendon players either jumped straight into the back flattening the Swans player or came in front on head high. Funny how any little tap to a players shoulder in a marking contest gets a free yet a full blooded knees and all to the head on the ground is legitimate.

Hall, Goodes, C Bolton = very good
Buchanan and Schneider I thought worked hard around the ground, but made some dumb disposal mistakes.
O'Keefe was good but fumbled at vital stages. Got a bit tired but had OK stats and worked hard.
Davis and Ablett = OK. Both worked hard.
Kirk slowly worked into the game. Needs tough hard match fitness.
J Bolton - Played one of off the boil games he is often criticised for. Kicking into the man, falling over, getting pinged, not chasing, poor centre bounce work. Lamentable display but should improve with ground time.
Leo Barry = shocking. poor on LLoyd and for whatever reason was clear on his left with players clear ahead but ran back 10 metres into trouble when moved up the ground. Handballed constantly to players under pressure. Has the hero tag gone to his head or is he just a last line defender. Also was very unaccountable for his man.
LRT = OK but must learn not to turn his back on the game. Cost a goal at a vital point.
Willo = Am I the first to say he has gone one year too long. Very slow and fumbled uncharacteristically.
Crouch - the only reason he played was to keep his consecutive number of games intact. One good tackle doesnt make a game. Poor disposal and found wanting for pace.
Mathews - I dont want to be done for liable. Was at times was 50+ metres from his man whoever that was because I dont think he knew either. Got to have a good hard look at his value to the team.
Fosdike - thought he had a hand in getting us going in 2nd Q. Dropped off the pace though.
McVeigh - not up to it, too slow, poor disposal. Sack him nad give Moore a go at least he has clean disposal.
MOL - Puzzled is all I can come up with. Barry did play deep into the forward line but Fletcher towelled him up at most contests.
Jolly = OK.
Richards - not as convinced as others that he did well. The ball stopped coming in quickly to LLoyd when he moved on to him. Wait and see.
Dempster - clearly short of a gallop.
Chambers - no, but.... How many times did he make position and players see him but chose not to kick to him?

My summary: some players short of a run, some didn't work hard enough, others did. Overall our disposal and decision making was ordinary. At vital points we chose to hold play when we had players loose.
Suggestions: When a player has a mark or free at about 60 metres kick to the top of the square instead of to MOL over 15m on the boundary. BBH take note because you are the biggest culprit. At least if short to some one in a decent position.

Move it on when taking a mark if clear. Someone mentioned Davis making space and not having it kicked to him. How true. Essendon did this all game and caught us flat footed numerous times. We better get used to it because thats how all teams will play us to break down our game style.

Dont fall for the Brisbane scenario. Identify players to move on and replace to add variety and identify future regulars, NOW.
For starters McVeigh and Mathews.

Will Willo call it quits about mid year - next few weeks will tell. Not writing him off but maybe on last night the speed of the game has gone one notch too many for him at his age.

Nico
2nd April 2006, 12:26 PM
One last word - our forward line pressure was non existent. Stood there and let them run it out with ease.

NMWBloods
2nd April 2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Suggestions: When a player has a mark or free at about 60 metres kick to the top of the square instead of to MOL over 15m on the boundary. BBH take note because you are the biggest culprit. At least if short to some one in a decent position. I can't believe how many times we pass to someone on the boundary line.

Move it on when taking a mark if clear. Someone mentioned Davis making space and not having it kicked to him. How true. Essendon did this all game and caught us flat footed numerous times. We better get used to it because thats how all teams will play us to break down our game style. Yes. We are a bit slow to move it on. Look at how quickly the 'Dogs do it and how Essendon did it last night.

Will Willo call it quits about mid year - next few weeks will tell. Not writing him off but maybe on last night the speed of the game has gone one notch too many for him at his age. He did look very slow and out of it, but we'll see after a few weeks. As I recall was much the same early last year but improved as the season went on.

One last word - our forward line pressure was non existent. Stood there and let them run it out with ease. Definitely. Our forward line defensive work was hopeless.

legaff
2nd April 2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by numbnuts
Hehehe everytime I see that guy I say, Man that guy is one UGLY SOB!!

Actually i have a friend who works in a cafe which Mcphee attends regularly, and she always says "oh my God...McPhee is soooo hot!"...

So i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Sanecow
2nd April 2006, 01:57 PM
Problems:

1. Too many frees at the centre bounce.
2. Too many frees given away in our defense.
3. Not enough talk (Craig Bolton run down).
4. Not enough leading by our forwards (too many kicks into our F50 to a pack / too slow moving forward?).

Fixable.

stellation
2nd April 2006, 02:24 PM
Doyle in would have been nice, he would have spent at least some time in the F50.

DST
2nd April 2006, 03:13 PM
Went to the game last night, the result was about what I expected give a take a goal or two which came down to a poor start and some questionable umpiring decisions in the first quarter.

There were a couple of individual players that looked ready to play at senior football pace (Goodes, C Bolton, LRT) but as a whole the team looked short of a gallop. Both Magic & Hall had plenty of opportunities in the last but were pretty much out on their feet as with much of the team.

I reckon Roos and the coaching staff would be pretty happy with where they are at present.

DST
:D

cruiser
2nd April 2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DST
I reckon Roos and the coaching staff would be pretty happy with where they are at present. There shouldnt be an end of season break. They should just keep training. Look what happens when they dont.

numbnuts
2nd April 2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by legaff
Actually i have a friend who works in a cafe which Mcphee attends regularly, and she always says "oh my God...McPhee is soooo hot!"...

So i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I can send your friend a number for an Optometrist. McPhee was born UGLY and will die UGLY.

DST
2nd April 2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
There shouldnt be an end of season break. They should just keep training. Look what happens when they dont.

Slight issue with the player contracts stipulating that they must have at least 8 weeks off between seasons.

And besides we do want to see our best players last until they are at least 32. If they trained and played all year round you wouldn't see too many of them getting past 28.

DST
:D

Deano Supremo
2nd April 2006, 05:02 PM
I missed the game, but please someone tell me that Campo got belted someone - please?

stellation
2nd April 2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Deano Supremo
I missed the game, but please someone tell me that Campo got belted someone - please?
Sorry, he didn't get belted and was pretty good for Essendon. 20 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles and a goal on debut for his new club.

cruiser
2nd April 2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by DST
Slight issue with the player contracts stipulating that they must have at least 8 weeks off between seasons.

And besides we do want to see our best players last until they are at least 32. If they trained and played all year round you wouldn't see too many of them getting past 28.

DST
:D Sorry, I had a tongue in my cheek there. We need a tongue in cheek smiley.

goswannie14
2nd April 2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Sorry, I had a tongue in my cheek there. We need a tongue in cheek smiley. I've been after one for ages...well a few months any way.;)

Old Royboy
2nd April 2006, 10:07 PM
Late post I know, but just arrived back in Sydney. My record is nearly broken in two (smashed on the railing when that goal after the siren was paid). Putting the tattered jigsaw back, I see my score for Essendon was 8 goals directly from frees, another from a clear free to us not paid and of course the one after the siren. From where I sat at least half the goals from free kicks were ?iffy? at best.

My call on the game was that our midfield clearly lacked intensity in the first quarter and were pretty badly beaten. I reckoned that we were about 3-4 goals would have been a reflective margin at quarter time, not the maggot assisted 7 it actually was.

The second quarter was terrific. The third was even until the maggots assisted Essendon to another two, there-after we dominated the quarter but wrecked the good work with some shocking decision making going into forward 50.

Early on in the final I thought we were on top, a lot of the Don?s looked tired, but Crouch?s shocking clanger to gift Lucas a goal, immediately followed by another (from a centre clearance by Essendon and LRT?s slow reaction to it) totally changed the momentum and it was a big ask from there. Even then, we were still a change but further poor decision making going forward (with LRT in the van) cost us, then our guys just seemed to run out of legs the last ten minutes and they got another couple.

I?m anything but despondent. We had several blokes clearly underdone/in poor form and our game style does not cope well with passengers. Leo had one of those shockers he is prone to early season. My main worry is that we have a relatively easy early draw, so if it takes a few weeks for the team to get going we will have dropped too many games normally pencilled in as wins, then have to fight to catch up while playing the better teams (didn?t that happen last year?)

I could not understand why B2 didn?t get a crack on Lloyd ? when Leo is off he is IMO clearly our best defender one on one against leads. I thought SuperTed was really going to cause some trouble for the Essendon backs and was sorry he went back on Lloyd. I liked NOG?s game, a lot have said Goodes was impressive ? he was, but I saw a bit too much of the old lair again as well. Was that BBB?s best game under lights? I struggle to remember a better one.

Also, we have long said that to win in Melbourne against a local side we have to be AT LEAST a four goal better team. Same old.

OldE
2nd April 2006, 10:42 PM
I missed Tadhg. So did Leo, it would seem.

katie-scarlett
2nd April 2006, 11:04 PM
very weird not seeing a red&white #17.

good to see Goodesy SO fired up though, much fun to watch angry football.

NMWBloods
2nd April 2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
I liked NOG?s game,
I thought he was very ordinary.

a lot have said Goodes was impressive ? he was, but I saw a bit too much of the old lair again as well. I thought so a bit too.

Was that BBB?s best game under lights? I struggle to remember a better one.
How confident did he look taking one-grab marks overhead!

liz
3rd April 2006, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure they'll ever completely erase the lair from Goodes. And I'm not sure I want them to either. Just a matter of not too much...

goswannie14
3rd April 2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by liz
I'm not sure they'll ever completely erase the lair from Goodes. And I'm not sure I want them to either. Just a matter of not too much... I agree Liz, I thought he was great on Saturay night. It appeared that he was the one wh led by example to get the side going in Q2. Still my prefered option for captain.

stevej
3rd April 2006, 09:52 AM
All up i walked away from the game pretty pleased with our performance. We were very obviously under done and were jumped in that first quarter. Sheedy masterminded that 1st quarter brilliantly. Isolating LLoyd in the forward 50 by himself was a masterstroke. Umpires were always going to be tough on defenders in the 1st game. They just bombed it in to a one on one contest every time while we were going inside 50 to packs. It's a lot harder to scrag your opponent in a one on one. I really thought that after the first couple of goals Roosey should have dropped someone back to fill in the hole.
Our performance in the second quarter was fantastic and got us back in the game . We had our chances in the second half. Looking forward to next week!!!

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd April 2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by stevej
Sheedy masterminded that 1st quarter brilliantly. Isolating LLoyd in the forward 50 by himself was a masterstroke. Umpires were always going to be tough on defenders in the 1st game.
I think your correct there, it was very clever thinking. While on the subject of Leo Barry, I think he was left at fullback for too long. In fact there are many relaistic RWOers that have never considered him other than a stop-gap solution at fullback.

Originally posted by AussieAnge
You should see the drivel being served up by the Bombers fans on the wonderful BigFooty, they all reckon we are jealous and wish we had Lloydy on our side. No sireee, they can keep him.
Indeed, while I have my doubts about a full-forward capataining any side, and I'm very glad the Swans captain isn't dependant on diving. Such behaviour would definitely clash with the "bloods" ethos at the Swans.

NMWBloods
3rd April 2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by liz
I'm not sure they'll ever completely erase the lair from Goodes. And I'm not sure I want them to either. Just a matter of not too much... Yes - it's a bit of a fine line.

NMWBloods
3rd April 2006, 10:39 AM
Interesting comment from Mike Sheahan in the Herald Sun:

The Swans will be better for the run, but they were better than some of us expected. It was a brilliant fightback after Essendon's first-quarter blitz, and the rough end of the pineapple in the umpiring decisions.

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd April 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Nico
To me that sums up McVeigh. he has done this most of his career and you must now ask how long do you put up with his poor finishing not only at goals and his lamentable lack of pace.
I dont think he is quite up to it.

Nico, sometimes your opinions make a deal of sense, but then sometimes your ideas are so extreme . . . . .

I don't think McVeigh has a "lamentable lack of pace" he's no Aaron Davey but he's definitely one of our best and quickest runners.
And yes he missed a goal, but he also did some good stuff, so frankly I don't think he is/was as bad as you make out.

swansrule100
3rd April 2006, 10:47 AM
Given the start we had it could of been worse. Our fightback in the 2nd and 3rd team was excellent. I felt we dropped off again in the last when we could of snatched it. But we didnt deserve to win.

I agree with sheehan for once, we will be better for that and the signs were as good as they could be for a loss. Take nothing away from the dons they were impressive, but we are a better team than them still and they will struggle to make the finals.

Only hall and goodes played well in my opinion, kirk and barry in particular were off. I think jolly was quite ordinary as well. Crouchie disapointed me was he injured? didnt seem him self.

I think we should win most of our next 6-7 games anyway and be back on course, just need some more courage and guts in our efforts.

RogueSwan
3rd April 2006, 10:58 AM
I have come in late on this thread, but has anyone commented on missing Irish?
Tonight I realised just how much we missed him. His pace running off HB would have helped a lot in getting the ball out of our D50. B2 and Crouchy can do it but seemed to have their hands full.

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd April 2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Tonight I realised just how much we missed him. His pace running off HB would have helped a lot in getting the ball out of our D50. B2 and Crouchy can do it but seemed to have their hands full.
B2 played a good game but you correct we really missed Tiger's pace, it was especially obvious given the speed Essendon exhibited especially after a point. I liked Leo on a flank, he worked hard to make up for the first quarter.

stevej
3rd April 2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan

Missed him badly RS. Would have been able to fill the hole that was so glaring in the first quarter

stellation
3rd April 2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ruckman
I think your correct there, it was very clever thinking. While on the subject of Leo Barry, I think he was left at fullback for too long..

I was speaking to a workmate this morning who is a huge Carlton fan, he was watching the game and stunned that Roos took so long to make the move. He loves to see the Swans get a whipping, but he said that even he was sitting there crying for Leo to be moved off him.

stevej
3rd April 2006, 11:38 AM
I was speaking to a workmate this morning who is a huge Carlton fan, he was watching the game and stunned that Roos took so long to make the move. He loves to see the Swans get a whipping, but he said that even he was sitting there crying for Leo to be moved off him.

I don't think moving anyone else onto lloyd would have made any difference. THe structure of our defence changed after 1/4 time which helped out superted no end. THe problem was that lloyd had far to much room in the forward line for the first 25 minutes. damage was done

Sanecow
3rd April 2006, 11:42 AM
I have a feeling that Jolly was meant to take the centre bounce and then move back to fill the space in front of Lloyd - he took a few uncontested marks in the back half when the Swans managed to move the ball out of defense. The problem was that the ball moved so fast from the bounce that he needed to move faster than light to get there. That was not possible since the Swans are four weeks behind everyone (including the Eagles). Maybe later in the year.

NMWBloods
3rd April 2006, 11:52 AM
If we're four weeks behind, how do we ever catch up...

stellation
3rd April 2006, 11:55 AM
We catch up by slowing down. Tempo football.

wheels27
3rd April 2006, 12:59 PM
We catch up by slowing down.

Now everyone take out a circle of paper.

Sanecow
3rd April 2006, 01:44 PM
If we're four weeks behind, how do we ever catch up...

Some players will play twice a week.

LittleSchneider
3rd April 2006, 06:23 PM
Chambers = RWO new whipping boy.
Chambers also = a new Spriggs!

We didnt move towards the ball - so much ball went to ground or was intercepted because we were too slow to react - too reactive and not being proactive enough!

Midfield wasn't slowing Lloyds delivery.

Speaking of frees - what about O'Keefe's trip! Got legged and then was given a penalty against him for Holding the Ball! WTF?

No run off halfback - COME BACK KENNELLY.

Couldnt keep the ball in our F50 for sustained periods of time = No forward pressure.

Poor tempo football - we were very average at all stoppages.

Final Word - Lloyd is a @@@@head - "They had their success, now this is our turn" Get a life - 1 round doesnt make a season you idiot.

stellation
3rd April 2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by wheels27
Now everyone take out a circle of paper.
hehehe :p

Deano Supremo
3rd April 2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry, he didn't get belted and was pretty good for Essendon. 20 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles and a goal on debut for his new club.

He's still a knob. :)

ROK Lobster
3rd April 2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Some players will play twice a week. They are the guys taking it 3 or 4 days at a time.

Ruck'n'Roll
4th April 2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by LittleSchneider
Poor tempo football - we were very average at all stoppages.
Contrary to the popular opinion we were only the 6th best team in the league for clearances last year, so being mediocre at stoppages is pretty mach business as usual.

katie-scarlett
4th April 2006, 10:16 AM
best tempo footy of rd1: Adelaide.

BeeEmmAre
4th April 2006, 10:37 AM
I got pulled over for speeding yesterday.
The officer was just about to write me a ticket when he changed his mind, let me off with a warning, and gave Matthew Lloyd a free kick instead.

Then, as he was walking back to his patrol car, he farted and gave Lloyd another kick.

stevej
4th April 2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre
I got pulled over for speeding yesterday.
The officer was just about to write me a ticket when he changed his mind, let me off with a warning, and gave Matthew Lloyd a free kick instead.

Then, as he was walking back to his patrol car, he farted and gave Lloyd another kick.

Apparently Leapin Leo farted at the recovery session last night as well and lloyd got a 50mt penalty:mad:

goswannie14
4th April 2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by stevej
Apparently Leapin Leo farted at the recovery session last night as well and lloyd got a 50mt penalty:mad: My neice has a poster of matthew Lloyd on her wal, it fell down the other day and he got a free kick.