PDA

View Full Version : My Top Five Sydney - Port Matches

dawson
4th April 2006, 06:21 AM
1) QF, 2003 - One of the most famous victories for this club and no doubt the 2005 Premiership would never had happened had it not been for this match. Make no mistake the foundation for the flag was laid this sunny September afternoon in Adelaide.

2) R8, 2005 - Ugly match but keeping the reigning premier to 45 points is a terrfic effort.

3) R1, 1998 - Opening round of the season and we show the Power who is boss. Paul Roos ran riot the whole day.

4) R11, 1997 - First time we meet the Power and we smash them over there.

5) R11, 2001 - Win by 47 points, our highest ever margin of victory against the Power.

Plugger46
4th April 2006, 01:56 PM
I think Rd 16 1998 deserves a mention. In trouble at half-time, Lockett kicks 9 in the second half, and 12 for the game.

Thunder Shaker
4th April 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by dawson
1) QF, 2003 - One of the most famous victories for this club and no doubt the 2005 Premiership would never had happened had it not been for this match.
Port Adelaide fans would probably say that the 2004 Premiership would never had happened had it not been for this match. We showed the Power what it took to win finals, and the next year they did not let the chance slip again.

Ryan Bomford
4th April 2006, 05:03 PM
I would like to forget R15, 2002 when we lost to a kick after the siren after staging a great Q4 comeback.

Jeffers1984
4th April 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
I would like to forget R15, 2002 when we lost to a kick after the siren after staging a great Q4 comeback.
For some reason i laughed deleriously after Poulton kicked the winner from 50. Kept thinking to myself that this season of close losses couldn't of gotten worse, @@@@ it just did.

dawson
4th April 2006, 05:34 PM
Also the game where Kel did his knee sucked majorly.

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th April 2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
For some reason i laughed deleriously after Poulton kicked the winner from 50. Kept thinking to myself that this season of close losses couldn't of gotten worse, @@@@ i just did.

I was a mess after that match. Broke down completely. It was really embarrassing to be honest. Even ParalowiePower kept his distance.

I can handle losing after the siren once in a while. But when we are leading in 75% of our games at or after 3/4 time and still lose, it certainly starts to really affect one's psyche. 2002 was the most frustrating season I have EVER been involved with. Even more so than the dark old days of 1992-93.

JF

Jeffers1984
4th April 2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
I was a mess after that match. Broke down completely. It was really embarrassing to be honest. Even ParalowiePower kept his distance.

I can handle losing after the siren once in a while. But when we are leading in 75% of our games at or after 3/4 time and still lose, it certainly starts to really affect one's psyche. 2002 was the most frustrating season I have EVER been involved with. Even more so than the dark old days of 1992-93.

JF
When bazza kicked that ripper grubber goal with 20 seconds to go, i screamed out MAN THE F UP! Guess it didnt work :(

The Boot
4th April 2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Yes I remember it well too. It might seem a bit "hindsight-ish" now to say we should have played a bit of '05-style "tempo" footy that day, I suppose?

Matt79
4th April 2006, 10:43 PM
1) 2003 Qualifying Final Port V Sydney at Aami Stadium
2) 2003 Qualifying Final Port V Sydney at Aami Stadium
3) 2003 Qualifying Final Port V Sydney at Aami Stadium
4) 2003 Qualifying Final Port V Sydney at Aami Stadium
5) 2003 Qualifying Final Port V Sydney at Aami Stadium

It will be hard to ever beat this game as THE defining moment that signalled to supporters, media and most importantly the club that a flag was in reach.

An amazing game of courage, skill and pure determination to defeat Port in what was their 'unloseable' game. I will never forget being there that day and the stunned faces on all the Port fans after the game. Aside from the grand final victory this was the greatest moment in supporting the swannies.

Seeing Kirk get barrelled by Pickett and bounce straight up and Cressa showing his jumper to the crowd following the game.

WHAT A WIN!!

liz
4th April 2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by dawson
Also the game where Kel did his knee sucked majorly.

The best and the worst. That would probably be my second favourite Power game ever if it hadn't been for Kelly's knee.