PDA

View Full Version : Stoppages

sharp9
5th April 2006, 10:19 AM
One team went for the ball, the other team watched. It's as simple as that. Much, much worse, though was the fact that we won innumerable hit-outs that went to the EXACT position least likely to see a Swan possession! Imagine a square with a pair in the middle of each side. Two Bombers would be lined up nearest the corner, if you get me. Where do you think the Swan ruckmans hits the ball? To that corner, over and over. Unbelievable!

Loose ball gets after ruck contests must have been about 12- 2 to the Bombers. As for clean possession. @@@@ me what a joke! Out of the centre they would have blokes running at the ball in the direction of their goal. They would take possession facing the way they wanted to go. Who would have thought?! If they were side on or being tackled they would give it to a team mate who was, how can I put this....FACING THE WAY THEY WANT TO GO!

We had at least four quick kicks out the centre by players facing away or sideways and in no space who kicked towards CHF but had their kicks marked uncontested by the Bombers defence.

They had at least four kicks out of the centre which were marked uncontested by a Bomber on the lead and in space.

I mean seroiously, how can we be so bad as to not even be able to kick it 30 metres to somewhere where a forward can even get to the contest? Huh? There were usually 3 Swans on or near half forward but none could get near these pathetic efforts (Especially from and Ablett) I am bloody sick of it. It ain't rocket science.

Maybe Pebbles just hasn't learned that that is where our "kick and hopes" always land. But if that is the case he is a lot dumber than his opponent who was always where the ball landed.

And crumbs!!!!!!! Puhleeeeaase! Can someone teach the Swans vaguely where the ball might fall, or even better could marking players who get first hands maybe bring it to ground to advantage? Which brings us back to the point of an earlier thread....we were always trailling our opponents to the contest no matter what part of the ground it was in.

Feeling very pessimistic indeed.

Jeffers1984
5th April 2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sharp9

And crumbs!!!!!!! Puhleeeeaase! Can someone teach the Swans vaguely where the ball might fall, or even better could marking players who get first hands maybe bring it to ground to advantage? Which brings us back to the point of an earlier thread....we were always trailling our opponents to the contest no matter what part of the ground it was in.

Geez man, it's only round one to be so pessimistic but i will agree with you on this point. I still think our forward line is missing a genuine with a superb goal sense ala Eddie Betts. The more i see of Schneider, the more i think he is more adept to the midfield and not forward.

smartplay
5th April 2006, 11:57 PM
the loss-win ratio in center bounces are often high(losses) in many past games. the win-loss ratio SHOULD even out with set plays over time but something is wrong in this department.

dont the swan practise the center bounces SET plays.
Dont they ever learn how better teams do it? They should look at videos closely at how better teams do it, practise set plays very hard, again & again, with STRONGER "silent" effective communication between players at center bounces. Practise! Simulate set plays (play sequences) during the training!

If the center bounce coaching person/team is not up to it (assuming it is the same coach from past matches) and in the next 3-4 games , they should let others coach. Otherwise, it's frustrating as a fan to see oppostion continuing to have first use of the ball/goal attempt often, putting so much pressure on the defenders.

liz
6th April 2006, 12:58 AM
I think there may be a tad of an over-reaction to one very poor, one pretty good and two just OK quarters in just one (ie the opening) game of the season.

I know this is going to be a predictable comeback this season, but this team is currently the reigning premiers, and they did it the hard way, by winning the contested ball. A team doesn't forget how to do this overnight.

Our two main ball winners in the midfield had decidedly ordinary games, and yet the team still "won" after quarter time against a team on their home turf, a traditional bogey team for us, especially in Melbourne, who have been up and running and in reasonably good form over the pre-season.

Yes there is room for improvement - and having a Mitchell or a Harris in the centre would be nice - but maybe we should wait a round or two before we condemn the midfield coach as a dud.

SMFC
6th April 2006, 02:54 AM
Just remember back to early 2002 and Rodney Eade... And if you knew the Swans back in the Buckenara days, remember those as well....

Feeling better now?