0 clangers

0 kicks
0 handballs
0 marks
no mistakes his best game yet

punter257
16th April 2006, 03:20 AM
LOL nice one

i feel sorry for the poor bastard but i just can't see him adding anything to the side - they must see something in him but what is it??????

jermaink
16th April 2006, 04:09 AM
What's the latest news on Doyle?

We're definitely feeling the loss of Ball.

SMFC
16th April 2006, 06:12 AM
Doyle bites as usual, has been around too long... ummm. A stiff breeze was upon him on Thursday and he did his ankle again - season. Probably. Will Sangster was more value than "Eyebrow" Doyle.

3 years for Chambers. It doesn't spell long-term thinking to anyone - does it?

He actually rucked the centre for all of Carlton's 3rd quarter bursts and did well. They came at us off half-back.

Thunder Shaker
16th April 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by punter257
they must see something in him but what is it??????
22 hitouts.

NMWBloods
16th April 2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
22 hitouts. Not a single one to advantage...?

timthefish
16th April 2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Not a single one to advantage...?

it least he's getting his body into position and getting his hand to the ball. the finesse and vision can be built upon that.

can't see him being much use around the ground however.

Roscoe
16th April 2006, 11:23 AM
Erickson , Shaw or Doyle MUST be a better option than this DUD

Get rid of him - he is @@@@ing useless

Ruckman who can't contribute anything except for the odd clearance are a Phucking liability

Gelong must be laughing at us - it has been rumored that they were ready to de-list this joke when we offered them a 2nd round
draft pick (plus a block of flats, a set of encyclopedias and Tasmania)

satchmopugdog
16th April 2006, 11:26 AM
Hang on there..no need to get personal!!!!! None of us down here are related to Chambers so that wouldn't count.

Schneiderman
16th April 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
Gelong must be laughing at us - it has been rumored that they were ready to de-list this joke when we offered them a 2nd round

Like Geelong's opinion matters? They have Kant Kicksley as their Full Forward. That alone has cost them many a game, yet they persist with him.

I say we should lay off him a little. True he has not shown great form so far, but he is very young, is still settling in, and its not like we have a lot of others to choose from.

It takes time to become a great ruckman. Cox started his career as an absolute hack behind Gardiner. They guy was on the chopping block at WC, almost got traded to two other clubs, and only got his opportunity because Gardiner went down with a knee injury.

Even Spida Burton was totally pathetic at Freo, reasonably useless at North, but somehow finished his career with arguably his best year as his last.

I'm willing to let him develop this year, and see how he goes next year before looking to cut him.

katie-scarlett
16th April 2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe it was simply a desperate 'ruckman' pick up?

Red
16th April 2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
I'm willing to let him develop this year, and see how he goes next year before looking to cut him. It'd be nice if we had that luxury that S-Man. But we need a decent backup ruckman now, not in two years. Unfortunately, Chambers aint it, and so far doesn't even look like developing into one.

I was interested in last night's game to compare him with Dylan McLaren, who was also recruited as backup ruck.

K H P M HO T FF FA G B
Paul Chambers 0 0 0 0 11 3 0 1 0 0
Dylan McLaren 4 4 8 1 11 3 2 1 1 0And here's a link to their comparative stats for the season so far:
McLaren vs. Chambers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=4&pid1=196&tid2=17&pid2=231)
It makes you a bit sick to consider that Chambers cost us a 2nd-rounder, and McLaren cost Carlton nothing via the Pre-season Draft. Benefit of hindsight and all that, but McLaren always looked a better option, and it would've cost us less to get him.

Perhaps he didn't pass the 'no d**kheads' rule. So far though, the only d**kheads are the ones who passed up on McLaren in favour of Chambers.

matthew smith
16th April 2006, 06:24 PM
he hasn't done much for us so far, it's a shame we didn't play hardball to get Everitt up here, he would have been a big plus

caj23
16th April 2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah we paid way over the odds for Chambers. I'm hoping that the talk of a 3 year contract is wrong otherwise we have stuffed up big time

(Teddy has been servicable so far but i suspect we paid way over the odds for him as well)

In respect of Mclaren I believe that we did pursue him but he was keen to get back to Melbourne

Hopefully Doyley is set for nex week

RogueSwan
16th April 2006, 08:35 PM
I actually thought Torture played better last night. I thought he actually tapped it well but the midfielders fumbled the ball on occassion.

Destructive
16th April 2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
Erickson , Shaw or Doyle MUST be a better option than this DUD

Get rid of him - he is @@@@ing useless

Ruckman who can't contribute anything except for the odd clearance are a Phucking liability

Don't forget the steak knives.

Nico
16th April 2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
I actually thought Torture played better last night. I thought he actually tapped it well but the midfielders fumbled the ball on occassion.

Fumbled is an understatement.

Worst part of our game at the moment.

DST
17th April 2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Red
It'd be nice if we had that luxury that S-Man. But we need a decent backup ruckman now, not in two years. Unfortunately, Chambers aint it, and so far doesn't even look like developing into one.

I was interested in last night's game to compare him with Dylan McLaren, who was also recruited as backup ruck.

K H P M HO T FF FA G B
Paul Chambers 0 0 0 0 11 3 0 1 0 0
Dylan McLaren 4 4 8 1 11 3 2 1 1 0And here's a link to their comparative stats for the season so far:
McLaren vs. Chambers (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=4&pid1=196&tid2=17&pid2=231)
It makes you a bit sick to consider that Chambers cost us a 2nd-rounder, and McLaren cost Carlton nothing via the Pre-season Draft. Benefit of hindsight and all that, but McLaren always looked a better option, and it would've cost us less to get him.

Perhaps he didn't pass the 'no d**kheads' rule. So far though, the only d**kheads are the ones who passed up on McLaren in favour of Chambers.

It would not have cost us less to get Mclaren.

Brisbane wanted nothing less than a late first round pick for him, but walked out on the club knowing full well that his ambition to return to Victoria to play would be fufiled at Carlton.

So even if we were able to persuade McLaren to come to Sydney it would have cost us more than Chambers.

DST
:D

Foreign Legion
17th April 2006, 02:12 AM
Well, I think the Chambers experiment must end - might do him good to get some stats and confidence in the 2's - seriously.

*If* Doyle is fit he has to come in - if not, then I'd give Shaw a go. We cant carry a player who doesnt contribute anything but hitouts - not quite Nicholls/Newman ones either.

Maybe Vogels as a mobile ruckman - sounds crazy but we are desperate and White is not any taller than Luke.

LRT?

punter257
17th April 2006, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Foreign Legion
LRT?

i dont know if i could handle his mop of hair bouncing everywhere in the midfield

satchmopugdog
17th April 2006, 07:27 AM
That visual made me laugh.

goswannie14
17th April 2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by swans05
didnt make a mistake against carlton
0 clangers

0 kicks
0 handballs
0 marks
no mistakes his best game yet I saw him get a tap out!:eek:

Gary
17th April 2006, 01:38 PM
If Doyle is properly fit he has to come in...otherwise it has to be Vogels...he couldn't possibly contribute less. Is anyone from the club prepared to speak openly about how Chambers happened?

ROK Lobster
17th April 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Is anyone from the club prepared to speak openly about how Chambers happened? Not likely on here, but if you PM Stellation she is usually fairly open about stuff like that.

SMFC
17th April 2006, 05:07 PM
Schneiderman talks perfect sense back there. Thankfully someone has a footy brain.

giant
17th April 2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Foreign Legion
Well, I think the Chambers experiment must end - might do him good to get some stats and confidence in the 2's - seriously.

Presumably you mean "a" stat. Nice to see him keep the clean slate with another triple bagel.

Actually, it did look like he was having some sort of impact this week - at least it wasn't a free hit for the opposing ruckmen as it has been in past weeks.

Schneiderman
17th April 2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Red
It'd be nice if we had that luxury that S-Man. But we need a decent backup ruckman now, not in two years. Unfortunately, Chambers aint it, and so far doesn't even look like developing into one.

Well 'luxury' or not, we have no choice, so I say make the best of it. We have been in a similar position with LRT and the CHB position (although I personally still want to see Vogels get an extended run there). All of this abuse leveled towards someone who is so inexperienced, so early in the season, and with no other viable choices is pointless and unfair.

Give the guy a break, see what pans out. As many on this board have often bemoaned, we have had a tendency at the Swans to give young players too few games in the top team.

NMWBloods
17th April 2006, 07:45 PM
I don't think he's the reason we're doing so poorly in the centre. He has managed to get his hands on a few good taps, but struggles to find our players. But I think that is a rarity anyway - all he needs to do is provide a decent contest and he does that.

His bigger problem is around the ground. He does nothing and seems to lack general awareness.

Sanecow
18th April 2006, 12:41 AM
Surprised a few teammates this week by actually delivering the ball to them. Used his face deftly on one throw-in. Fun to watch.

ScottH
18th April 2006, 07:13 AM
Lights on, but ......

TheHood
18th April 2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by matthew smith
he hasn't done much for us so far, it's a shame we didn't play hardball to get Everitt up here, he would have been a big plus

Spida's average early 2006 form aside, would we have been better off taking a more merciless approach and making the Jolly swap, leaving Spida to lead Doyle and Chambers around?

I suspect not, Peter is a fairly self-centred type, brilliant footy mind on the field, but has a lot of flaws.

My biggest gripe with Chambers is that he needs a shave, a haircut you can set your watch by and better body language.

As yet, me or the press don't think he's colourful, so

"Until you won 20 in the Show, you're a slob!"

elroy67
18th April 2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't think he's the reason we're doing so poorly in the centre. He has managed to get his hands on a few good taps, but struggles to find our players. But I think that is a rarity anyway - all he needs to do is provide a decent contest and he does that.

His bigger problem is around the ground. He does nothing and seems to lack general awareness.

This goes to the heart of the issue. What is his role in the team?

If you take the argument that we were premiers by being number 1 in Hit outs and in tackles, then I think he fills the role nicely, he gets hit outs and makes tackles.

After 2 games and 2 losses we were 13th for hitouts and tackles.

This week a win, and we are 2nd in hitouts and 1st in tackles.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

RogueSwan
18th April 2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Lights on, but ......
... can't remember the rest of the cliche?

Ruck'n'Roll
18th April 2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by katie-scarlett
Maybe it was simply a desperate 'ruckman' pick up?
Stop talking about the woman I love like that!

satchmopugdog
18th April 2006, 09:31 PM
I laughed and laughed...