PDA

View Full Version : Bloods

CureTheSane
16th April 2006, 01:22 PM
Wearing off yet?

I wonder how many people knew nothing of this 'nickname' for the Swans before the GF

Personally I was sick to death of this cr@p which was hyped up so much because there was no Vic based team in the GF and the media decided to make the Swans 'Victorian' by harking back to an outdated name from a bygone era.

I made it though though, only now, the anme seems to be popping up everywhere and all the time.
Guess what?

It's the Sydney Swans.

Has been for many years.

Before that, it was the South Malbourne Swans, and was for years.

Worse than all of this is people who think that calling the swans the Bloods makes them a more 'real' supporter.

No wonder the Swans are having a hard time on the field - they are all very confused as to ther role in the AFL

Glenn
16th April 2006, 01:25 PM
All part of the South Melbourne history, and as a result the history of SFC.

ROK Lobster
16th April 2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Wearing off yet?

I wonder how many people knew nothing of this 'nickname' for the Swans before the GF

Personally I was sick to death of this cr@p which was hyped up so much because there was no Vic based team in the GF and the media decided to make the Swans 'Victorian' by harking back to an outdated name from a bygone era.

I made it though though, only now, the anme seems to be popping up everywhere and all the time.
Guess what?

It's the Sydney Swans.

Has been for many years.

Worse than all of this is people who think that calling the swans the Bloods makes them a more 'real' supporter.

No wonder the Swans are having a hard time on the field - they are all very confused as to ther role in the AFL
I think 2005 was all about market-testing the 'Bloods' label. Players were most-likely instructed from the marketing people to drop it into interviews etc. Did other members notice that we were asked to make a number of comments in relation to "The Bloods" in the end of season survey? I was expecting a "Bloods" range of merchandise this season but there must have been enough like CST and myself that are annoyed by the re-creation of the "Bloods". I have no problem with the occasional reference to them as the "Bloods", or the "'carn the Bloods" occasional cry at the footy (especially from old blokes), but this whole "Bloods: the next generation" crap is just that, crap. Try hard, I've-been-a-supporter-longer-than-you, self-consciously created, inorganic crap. They are the Swans. They are a Sydney club with a Melbourne past.

MrRed
16th April 2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I think 2005 was all about market-testing the 'Bloods' label. Players were most-likely instructed from the marketing people to drop it into interviews etc. Did other members notice that we were asked to make a number of comments in relation to "The Bloods" in the end of season survey? I was expecting a "Bloods" range of merchandise this season but there must have been enough like CST and myself that are annoyed by the re-creation of the "Bloods". I have no problem with the occasional reference to them as the "Bloods", or the "'carn the Bloods" occasional cry at the footy (especially from old blokes), but this whole "Bloods: the next generation" crap is just that, crap. Try hard, I've-been-a-supporter-longer-than-you, self-consciously created, inorganic crap. They are the Swans. They are a Sydney club with a Melbourne past.

Do you wanna know what they were selling at the G before last years Grand Final?

Trucker Hats with South Melbourne Swans on them (will taker a pic and post it up as i bought one for novelty value) old South Melbourne V tops and a plethora of other "Sotuh Melbourne" goodies.

I am really fed up with these long term footy supportors who seem to think they are superior supportors b/c they are from Melbourne.

ScottH
16th April 2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MrRed
Do you wanna know what they were selling at the G before last years Grand Final?

Trucker Hats with South Melbourne Swans on them (will taker a pic and post it up as i bought one for novelty value) old South Melbourne V tops and a plethora of other "Sotuh Melbourne" goodies.

I am really fed up with these long term footy supportors who seem to think they are superior supportors b/c they are from Melbourne. I thought it was a marketing ploy, called exploiting a market.

robbieando
16th April 2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
I thought it was a marketing ploy, called exploiting a market.

It is and we aren't the only club involved in such marketing. The Trucker Cap and South Melbourne labeled "goodies" are part of the "AFL's First 18 program" which basically is a label of retro clothing using all the club original club names (South Melbourne for us because of the Melbourne market we have, Shinboners for North and Mayblooms for Hawthorn to name just some). The South Melbourne Red Vee Jumpers are the ones left over from sale after the Hertiage Round's the past three seasons.

These have all been AFL decisions, that are in place for most of the clubs in the league. Still these decisions would of been backed by the club knowing full well the market in Melbourne for these items would be strong and would bring in a larger amount of money for the club than not having these items would. Therefore I can't see the issue of selling "retro clothing" which seems to have a large spot in the retail market place at the minute and to be retro enough this club has to go back to its South Melbourne roots.

Also you don't need a name of a city on a piece of clothing to make you a better supporter of the Swans, but MrRed for your information I'm from Melbourne and only wear stuff that read "Sydney Swans". Doesn't matter who you are, where you come from or how you support this club - Once a Swan, always a Swan. I don't care, I welcome with open arms and allow people to support the club ANY way they want. City, State or Country doesn't come into this debate.

SMFC
17th April 2006, 05:16 PM
Talk about overanalysing this... To many original South people, there resides a lot of bitterness about the club being uprooted against the board's wishes. 2005 did a lot to soothe the hardened old chaps I know.

I still call them South and the Bloods and even Swans before Sydney. SMFC is on the freakin' jumper as we all know. It was a relocation and the Swans remained.

I'm happy for Sydney to embrace them as best they can but I'm also gonna fight hell for leather that our oldtimers and Vic fans can have their fun with the Bloods and South should they wish.

I've also been a pro for the Red Vee return too.

desredandwhite
17th April 2006, 05:33 PM
It's just a nickname. Just as valid as "Swans", and I'll occasionally let slip with a "Go the Bloods!" if I'm feeling in the mood.

Symbolises the hard-working, no-frills nature of the club's origins, and particularly appropriate for last year's team.. Less so this year of course, but we'll work on that ;)

I kind of like the old style gear on sale in Melbourne - I don't have any myself (apart from two heritage red V guernseys), but I don't mind others wearing them. I reckon it is a nice reminder of the club's history.

Chubby Muffler
17th April 2006, 05:59 PM
As I understood it, it was the playing group who picked up the name again and used it amongst themselves last year. I am sure Kirky was a bit of a fan of it and he is the "heart and soul" of the club and players according to the PR at Channel 10.

FWIW I think it's fine for supporters to scream and yell Bloods/Swans/Sydney - whatever. They ARE the Sydney Swans and one would hope they always will be. The name I believe did serve a purpose last year for the players, but I do not know of anyone in Sydney who refers to them as the Bloods or Blood Staned Angels. It is good to maintain and keep South Melbourne supporters and have new generations supporting us, but we are a Sydney team.

The red V makes a great away jumper if needed and looks great in thye heritage round. It isn't our jumper anymore though and I would not like to see a permenant return to it.

cruiser
17th April 2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Chubby Muffler
As I understood it, it was the playing group who picked up the name again and used it amongst themselves last year. I am sure Kirky was a bit of a fan of it and he is the "heart and soul" of the club and players according to the PR at Channel 10.

FWIW I think it's fine for supporters to scream and yell Bloods/Swans/Sydney - whatever. They ARE the Sydney Swans and one would hope they always will be. The name I believe did serve a purpose last year for the players, but I do not know of anyone in Sydney who refers to them as the Bloods or Blood Staned Angels. It is good to maintain and keep South Melbourne supporters and have new generations supporting us, but we are a Sydney team.

The red V makes a great away jumper if needed and looks great in thye heritage round. It isn't our jumper anymore though and I would not like to see a permenant return to it. What he said.

rastus
17th April 2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SMFC
Talk about overanalysing this... To many original South people, there resides a lot of bitterness about the club being uprooted against the board's wishes.

In the interests of correctness the move to Sydney was NOT against the board's wishes. The 'Keep South at South' group was elected over the group that proposed the move but once in office found that the finances were truly hopeless and they were NOT being backed by the VFL who were pushing the move. A new board was formed headed up by Bill Collins (of race calling fame) and a member vote on the move was proposed, voted on and carried by the a majority of the members (of which I was one).

I am telling you the above because an untruth repeated often enough becomes the 'accepted truth' even though it is just an urban myth.

I know those that didn't want the move like to believe it was against the wishes of the board and the majority of the members but that just isn't true.

To me the club is the Sydney Swans also known as 'the bloods' as I have always screamed out 'Carn the Bloods' and never 'Carn the Swans'. Contrary to suggestions above this is NOT to make me feel superior or more of a true supporter than anyone one else. The habit of many decades is difficult to change even if I wanted to.

Bear
17th April 2006, 07:30 PM
Wearing off yet?

Guess what?

It's the Sydney Swans.

Has been for many years.

You had a few drinks when you made this post didn't you?

floppinab
17th April 2006, 07:45 PM
Wearing off yet?

No it isn't wearing off and I strongly doubt the players are confused.

I have taken plenty of virgins to games over the years and more than a few of them have noted they thought the Swans moniker just a little soft!!! It was for that reason that the players decided to look for something different to hang their hats on that a little more symbolised the effort and ethos required to win the ultimate prize. They found it on their own doorstep (or more appropriately in the history banks).

All power and premierships to them.

stellation
17th April 2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
I have taken plenty of virgins to games over the years and more than a few of them have noted they thought the Swans moniker just a little soft!!!
Take the next one that suggests that next door to the duck pond in the park and stuff some bread in their pockets, then they'll see how soft and passive Swans are ;)

ROK Lobster
17th April 2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by floppinab

I have taken plenty of virgins to games over the years So does 3 hours at the SCG 'break the ice' so to speak ;)

MrRed
17th April 2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by SMFC
Talk about overanalysing this... To many original South people, there resides a lot of bitterness about the club being uprooted against the board's wishes. 2005 did a lot to soothe the hardened old chaps I know.

I still call them South and the Bloods and even Swans before Sydney. SMFC is on the freakin' jumper as we all know. It was a relocation and the Swans remained.

I'm happy for Sydney to embrace them as best they can but I'm also gonna fight hell for leather that our oldtimers and Vic fans can have their fun with the Bloods and South should they wish.

I've also been a pro for the Red Vee return too.

Last time i checked the AFL TM has them as Sydney Swans. Maybe if you let go of the past and embrace the sydney swans then there wouldnt be so much Syd Vs Melb on RWO. I wish i could edit out Bob Davies speech as much as it was a nice gesture to the old south fans, the more i watch the more it irks me now.

We are the Sydney Swans.

CureTheSane
17th April 2006, 10:14 PM
Yelling out "carn the bloods" at a game is a bit different to the constant referral to the team as the Bloods by the media.

I have no problem with anyone using a different nickname at a game or in conversation or whatever, but I am simply a bit sick of the "Bloods bandwagon" down here.

I still can't believe there are people out there who are cryng about the move to Sydney.
I'd suggest they belong to the Albert Park Grand Prix protest group.....

As for the "red V jumper" that's fine on the odd occasion to re-iterate our heritage, but that's it.
Personally I find the current jumper much more asthetically pleasing anyway.

Also, the less I see those @@@@ing hoop socks, the happier I'll be.

Now, I'm off to have a few vodkas ;)

Nico
17th April 2006, 11:06 PM
Last time i checked the AFL TM has them as Sydney Swans. Maybe if you let go of the past and embrace the sydney swans then there wouldnt be so much Syd Vs Melb on RWO. I wish i could edit out Bob Davies speech as much as it was a nice gesture to the old south fans, the more i watch the more it irks me now.

We are the Sydney Swans.

Never heard of Bob Davies.

Was he perhaps moonlighting as Bob Davis the Geelong great who grew up a Swans supporter who we rejected, only to see him go on to be one of the great players, coaches, icons and thinkers of our game.

goswannie14
17th April 2006, 11:13 PM

Trucker Hats with South Melbourne Swans on them (will taker a pic and post it up as i bought one for novelty value) old South Melbourne V tops and a plethora of other "Sotuh Melbourne" goodies. I think you will find that these are part of the "First 18" range of merchandise that the AFL has brought out to make money on the history of the 12 VFL clubs, it's not unique to the Swans. They even have Fitzroy stuff available, not Brisbane Lions, but I haven't heard them getting upset about it.

bloodboy
17th April 2006, 11:55 PM
Matey, I have been calling them the Bloods ever since I could talk. My Dad was calling them the bloods at the same age. My grandfather was calling them the bloods long before you were a twinkling in your parents eyes. So, if I am sitting around you calling out 'GO BLOODS' and this bothers you, move mate, cos I ain't gonna stop for anybody.

This name was around long before the 2005 GF and if you had been to any games pre 2005 down here in Melbourne I am sure you would have heard it. The name is part of our history. Sure it isn't our official name, now, but it is a name I am not going to stop calling my team.

MrRed
17th April 2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Never heard of Bob Davies.

Was he perhaps moonlighting as Bob Davis the Geelong great who grew up a Swans supporter who we rejected, only to see him go on to be one of the great players, coaches, icons and thinkers of our game.

You mean the same Bobby Davis who coached geelong to their last flag, the same man who used to host League Teams with Jack Dyer and Loui the lip for 10 years, the same guy who speaks like a cuddly old man, the same guy who was a flying wingman for the cats in the 50s', the same guy who is seen laughing and having a good time in the 1963 grand final etc etc. See i know about footy too!

So i misplet his name and you have to point it out to make you feel like a superior Melbourne supporter. Does this help you sleep at night?

robbieando
18th April 2006, 12:05 AM
Does this help you sleep at night?

Seems to help you

MrRed
18th April 2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by bloodboy
This name was around long before the 2006 GF

Do you know something we don't?!? :p

goswannie14
18th April 2006, 08:20 AM
So i misplet his name and you have to point it out to make you feel like a superior Melbourne supporter. Does this help you sleep at night? Get the chip off your shoulder and enjoy supporting OUR team...both yours and mine.;)

ROK Lobster
18th April 2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by robbieando
Seems to help you Play the ball not the man please Ando

floppinab
18th April 2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Take the next one that suggests that next door to the duck pond in the park and stuff some bread in their pockets, then they'll see how soft and passive Swans are ;)

Yeah I've mentioned that but it still doesn't change the perception.

floppinab
18th April 2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
So does 3 hours at the SCG 'break the ice' so to speak ;)

It does............. Bloods :eek: :eek:

RogueSwan
18th April 2006, 01:01 PM
I like the fact that the Sydney Swans have such a long history. I started following the Swans around '95 (That's 1995 :) ) and last year was the first time I noticed the Bloods tag. I think it is great that people still use it. Personally I do not feel comfortable using it and will continue with "Carn the Swans". As long as you want to see the best for the Sydney Swans use whatever label you want, be it "Swannies", "Bloods" or "You useless pack of mongrels", it will always be followed with "just kick the bloody ball".

For those in Melbourne using their own history for arguments, you are not special. I would be more surprised if there were Melbourne Aussie rules supporters who haven't followed their team since Jesus was a boy. I am more impressed by fans that were not brought up on Aussie Rules, but have found their own way to the Swans (or whatever AFL team) and now love the game and their team.

CureTheSane
18th April 2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bloodboy
Matey, I have been calling them the Bloods ever since I could talk. My Dad was calling them the bloods at the same age. My grandfather was calling them the bloods long before you were a twinkling in your parents eyes. So, if I am sitting around you calling out 'GO BLOODS' and this bothers you, move mate, cos I ain't gonna stop for anybody.

This name was around long before the 2005 GF and if you had been to any games pre 2005 down here in Melbourne I am sure you would have heard it. The name is part of our history. Sure it isn't our official name, now, but it is a name I am not going to stop calling my team.

Yelling out "carn the bloods" at a game is a bit different to the constant referral to the team as the Bloods by the media.

Do you actually read the whole thread before you reply, Matey?

Lucky Knickers
18th April 2006, 01:56 PM
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!

stellation
18th April 2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!
Did you try new knickers Rd 1 & 2? We want to know!

BAM_BAM
18th April 2006, 02:48 PM
Bloods doesn't bother as much as "South" does. They were moved from South Melbourne to Sydney and IMO are Sydney, Swans or even Bloods, but they are no longer South.

Lucky Knickers
18th April 2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Did you try new knickers Rd 1 & 2? We want to know!

GS14 won the "Find Singapore Swan" a new name competition. I had autographed the Lucky Grand Final Knickers and had them beautifully mounted ready to present in special ceremony (not unlike the Troy Luff medal presentation and flag unfurling only funner).

After the Round 1 loss, I used the commemorative hammer and smashed the commemorative glass (it was an emergency). Wore them to Round 2.

Think knickers have lost their grand final mojo (would also explain crash in Fan Footy). Am going to try alternate "away game" strip (red on white rather than white on red) and see how they go agst Melb as they were successful on the weekend.

(Excuse me I have sand in my eye ;))

Two cities. Together. Living the Dream!