PDA

View Full Version : I know Its Early But..............

BarneyG
21st April 2006, 09:50 AM
I know its early but if Stephen Doyle ain't playing in the seniors by round 7, he should be delisted, there I've said it.:p

woo
21st April 2006, 10:15 AM
here here

Matt79
21st April 2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by woo
here here

Cheer Cheer ;)

giant
21st April 2006, 10:46 AM
Why? So Paul Roos can look like Grant Thomas?

hammo
21st April 2006, 10:47 AM
I'm prepared to give him until the end of the season

woo
21st April 2006, 11:01 AM
on what basis....seriously hes given us no reason to give him continual chances

Jeffers1984
21st April 2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by giant
St Kilda could definately use Capuano now even at his age.

Plugger46
21st April 2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by hammo
I'm prepared to give him until the end of the season

Yeah me too. Even half-fit, he's a better bet than that clown Chambers.

JF_Bay22_SCG
21st April 2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by giant

No, Roosey would NEVER play an obese mulletted full forward at full back against his opponents' star player in a do-or-die final like 'Corn Flakes' would.

JF

BarneyG
21st April 2006, 11:43 AM
I think once Ericksen and Rowe prove themselves.... it will be goodbye for Doyle unless he makes a monumental impact without getting injured, which will be unlikely.

Go Swannies
21st April 2006, 11:56 AM
The other night I watched the tape of the 2004 Swans Dees game. Doyle dominated that game - mainly at full forward. Playing well, he could turn into another Cox (and who would have thought we'd be using Cox as a paragon even two years ago?). I think the team is right to give Doyle every possible chance - especially when, right now, we have no other options except for a couple of kids and work-in-progress Chambers.

msb
21st April 2006, 12:18 PM
What about putting doyle in the forward pocket if and when he is fit? That would allow jolly and chambers to rotate off the interchange regulary and doyle could do the forward line ruckwork as well as maybe (hopefully) kick a few goals in the process. Proberbly sounds too top heavy but just a thought

ScottH
21st April 2006, 01:17 PM
Now we know the next player TM will write about.

GB85
21st April 2006, 03:09 PM
Might be off track here but did we not get rid of Heath James for no reason other than injuries. In one of his return games in his final season with us against Brisbane he proved to be quite a reasonable player who had a bad run with injuries. If Doyle comes back before being lost to injury we have nochoice other than to get rid of him. I would prefer us to develop a youngster ie. Erikson than pay someone who plays six or seven ok games a year.

Go Swannies
21st April 2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by GB85
Might be off track here but did we not get rid of Heath James for no reason other than injuries. In one of his return games in his final season with us against Brisbane he proved to be quite a reasonable player who had a bad run with injuries. If Doyle comes back before being lost to injury we have nochoice other than to get rid of him. I would prefer us to develop a youngster ie. Erikson than pay someone who plays six or seven ok games a year.

And in the 18 months or so until we have one of the kids ready to try stepping up as an AFL ruckman - and then the few years he'll take playing AFL before he gets the hang of it - we rely on Jolly alone? If, as you suggest, it's a matter of the money, that sounds like false economy to me.

Ruda Wakening
21st April 2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by msb
What about putting doyle in the forward pocket if and when he is fit?

And have him get injured by tripping over an empty Minties wrapper that had blown over the fence?

Bleed Red Blood
21st April 2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
And have him get injured by tripping over an empty Minties wrapper that had blown over the fence?

That isn't funny and you know it.

dendol
21st April 2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
That isn't funny and you know it.

to even suggest i would throw my minty wrappers over the fence is beyond ludicrous.

Does anyone know whats happening with Doyle? Is he running around in the twos ok?

goswannie14
21st April 2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
That isn't funny and you know it. But it's probably true.:frown

The Big Cat
21st April 2006, 10:17 PM
Doyle has some big upsides. He can mark and he can kick goals. He also has some mongrel in him. Don't forget also that he's about 7 foot tall. If they get him fit (maybe not possible!) he will be our number one ruckman. Jolly's is still holding onto the Ball's coat tails.
He who laughs last, laughs after everybody else has finished laughing

goswannie14
22nd April 2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by The Big Cat
Jolly's is still holding onto the Ball's coat tails. It was noted on here during the week that last year Jolly did the majority of the ruck work during the year. How is that riding on someone elses coat tails?:confused:

The Big Cat
22nd April 2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
It was noted on here during the week that last year Jolly did the majority of the ruck work during the year. How is that riding on someone elses coat tails?:confused:

There is ruck work and there is ruck work! Can anybody remember one passage of play relating to Jolly's ruckwork in 2005 that stood out from merely hitting the ball and hoping? Ball was a masrter at setting up a midfielder, not just being credited with a "hitout" which means stuff all. Hitouts are the most meaningless stat in footy.

liz
22nd April 2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by The Big Cat
There is ruck work and there is ruck work! Can anybody remember one passage of play relating to Jolly's ruckwork in 2005 that stood out from merely hitting the ball and hoping? Ball was a masrter at setting up a midfielder, not just being credited with a "hitout" which means stuff all. Hitouts are the most meaningless stat in footy.

Jolly's best hitouts are where he gets great purchase and thumps the ball forward. This was a trick used to great effect by the Brisbane rucks, especially Keating, during their years of success, and can be very effective. I guess it must be quite hard to do consistently, or we would see it more often. But Jolly normally manages one or two a game - he did one last week and set the Swans into attack with it.

stellation
22nd April 2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by liz
Jolly's best hitouts are where he gets great purchase and thumps the ball forward. This was a trick used to great effect by the Brisbane rucks, especially Keating, during their years of success, and can be very effective. I guess it must be quite hard to do consistently, or we would see it more often. But Jolly normally manages one or two a game - he did one last week and set the Swans into attack with it.
He sure did, and didn't the commentators love it!

NMWBloods
22nd April 2006, 02:29 PM
And didn't it go straight to a Carlton player? It worked for Brisbane as it was part of their plan. I'm not sure what plan (if any) our guys have.

Go Swannies
22nd April 2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
And didn't it go straight to a Carlton player? It worked for Brisbane as it was part of their plan. I'm not sure what plan (if any) our guys have.

It certainly worked for us against Brisbane early last year. And just about anytime we switch to out and out attack like that.

dread and might
22nd April 2006, 07:36 PM
there was a passage in the hawks game last night that went, everitt tap, mitchell?? 4 or five steps bang into 50, Croad ?? mark. Goal.

Made me realise how rarely that happens with us.