PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish and sloppy...and this was the Reserves

liz
23rd April 2006, 06:55 PM
Watched most of the reserves game this morning - didn't catch the first 10 minutes nor the first 10 minutes of the second half.

They won, and never looked like not winning, but there wasn't a huge amount there to cheer up anyone looking to sack our senior Premiership heroes.

The midfield did enough but their skills didn't look that sharp, and the consistent discipline that was evident a fortnight ago was missing. Eastlake are one of the better teams they will meet, but even so, it was disappointing to see our young boys outmarked and outrun for patches of the game.

The defence didn't show a whole lot of steel. Even when they're 5 goals up I reckon they need to look more pissed off when they concede a goal.

Grundy kicked 6 and does what he does very well. He leads confidently at the ball carrier and marks well. The problem is that what he does is not going to translate to AFL level, where he won't be the number one target and will have players blocking his space.

Vogels looked disinterested in the first half, playing in defence, but seemed to enjoy his forward role more in the second half. He kicked 4 goals and was pretty decent. He looks to have more of a chance of playing that "spare tall forward" role than Grundy at the moment.

Schmidt, Willoughby and Spriggs were all pretty ordinary out there today, I thought. None of them looks like breaking into the senior team any time soon.

Odd glimpses of Laidlaw and Thornton were promising but a way off senior football yet.

Dempster did some OK stuff but didn't dominate in the way you think he should at this level. He looked far more worried about his opponent than he should at this level - I guess it is hard to change your mindset completely when you move down a level.

I think Shaw just came on after Doyle did his hammy, and he looked a bit out of it. His normally assured centre-bounce tapwork didn't seem to be there.

Did Moore get injured early or did he not play at all? I had assumed one of our senior players was out when I didn't see him running around early.

Of the rookies, Phillips wasn't as prominent as last time but there are odd glimpses of something pretty special, like the way he swooped at speed and picked the ball up cleanly without breaking stride.

Prior presented and led well.

Jack attacked the ball well and his skills look neat.

Wall snapped one very nice goal for such a beanpole.

Garruba was quietish, Simpkin barely sighted.

Barlow was in defence for the whole game and looked a bit slow or not switched on. Shame, because I'd liked what I'd seen prior to today. Hopefully it was just a bad day.

Pretty sure Currie missed again, and didn't see Rowe out there either.

stellation
23rd April 2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by liz

Did Moore get injured early or did he not play at all? I had assumed one of our senior players was out when I didn't see him running around early.

He didn't play at all, he was sitting over near the race in the team polo and trousers.

ROK Lobster
23rd April 2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by stellation
He didn't play at all, he was sitting over near the race in the team polo and trousers. Looking for a coaching gig?

stellation
23rd April 2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Looking for a coaching gig?
Davo might be. He watched the game (he had his kit on early, we decided it was one of those times when you stay out drinking all night and decide to still go in to work, but when you get there realize you are way too early) and gave some pointers to the coaches. He's also actually been spotted by my spies (Mrs Stella and little tion) taking some of the new recruits aside for skills training. God help us all.

ugg
23rd April 2006, 07:05 PM
Moore was definitely there at the start of the game, you can tell by the yells of Bulldog! Bulldog!. Now that I think about it he probably didn't appear in the 2nd half.

Rowe also played but only used sparingly forward and not in the ruck.

I also thought Brabazon did some nice things today.

Foreign Legion
23rd April 2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks liz - I like to hear the news about the reserves.

Old Royboy
24th April 2006, 12:05 AM
Pretty fair summary Liz. I?ve commented before that Reggie has the ability to be a player but questioned his commitment once the ball hits the ground. He showed again today that he can read the flight of the ball better many of our first team players.
I have young Jack at short odds to be elevated off the rookie list at some stage. I like what I see with this kid, finds the ball well, makes good decisions, has a lovely low trajectory left foot kick and a bit of fire in the belly as well. Prior appears to have a good pair of hands and is worth watching.
Schmidt and Willoughby are unfortunately looking like good ordinary players. Spriggs is the Judd of the ACT comp ? gets a mile of ball and does SFA with it. Dempster was disappointing, looks to have the 2nd year blues.

liz
24th April 2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Old Royboy

I have young Jack at short odds to be elevated off the rookie list at some stage. I like what I see with this kid, finds the ball well, makes good decisions, has a lovely low trajectory left foot kick and a bit of fire in the belly as well.

I agree with your observations about Jack, but I suspect he doesn't have enough tricks in his bag to cut it at AFL level. Still early days, I know, but not convinced.

Phillips is the one who does look to have something special. Truly quick, nice hands, good reliable and penetrating enough kick and not a bad mark for his size.

Just wish there was a bit more of him, but Milne has made it and he's a similar size.

Ruck'n'Roll
24th April 2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ugg
Moore was definitely there at the start of the game, you can tell by the yells of Bulldog! Bulldog!. Now that I think about it he probably didn't appear in the 2nd half. I saw no injury to him, but we definitely lost Doyle and Willoughby so it seems likely something happenend to him.

Schmidt and Willoughby are unfortunately looking like good ordinary players. I agree about Schmidt, but prior to his injury I thought Josh really looked the goods.

Dempster was disappointing, looks to have the 2nd year blues. He's never been a high posession winner at reserves level and always looked slightly disinterested, on the other hand his intercept in the 3rd quarter was exquisite.

Originally posted by liz
Grundy kicked 6 and does what he does very well. He leads confidently at the ball carrier and marks well. The problem is that what he does is not going to translate to AFL level, where he won't be the number one target and will have players blocking his space. I'm afraid I agree with Liz, he's kicked big tallies but I don't think I've seen him take a contested mark so he will be in trouble if he gets promoted, Vogels and perhaps Prior look better forward options.

Originally posted by liz
I think Shaw just came on after Doyle did his hammy, and he looked a bit out of it. His normally assured centre-bounce tapwork didn't seem to be there. He did look a tad scratchy but took a couple of good contested marks and I thought the Demons rucks did well against us.

Originally posted by liz
Garruba was quietish
I'd like to see Stefan given more opportunities if neccasary at Spriggs' expense, certainly we've seen waht he's got by now?