PDA

View Full Version : Do players deserve a significant pay rise?

goswannie14
29th April 2006, 09:03 AM
Was just looking at this debate on the AFL website.

Do players deserve a significant pay rise? (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=blog&spg=display&articleid=261592)

What do you think? Do they deserve a significant pay rise?

According to Mike Sheahans figures they are paid pretty well. Interesting to note that Brendon Gale doesn't quote any figures, I guess the facts don't help his argument.

Mike_B
29th April 2006, 09:59 AM
From what I understand of it...the need for pay rises is at the rookie listed and newly drafted levels, not at the established senior player levels. The rookies have to devote their time to trying to make a career out of football, often as a trade-off against developing other potential skills, with no guarantees of actually making it, and their monetary rewards are pretty poor for all of that.

NMWBloods
29th April 2006, 11:52 AM
No. The clubs cannot afford to pay the players any more. Gale's arguments about popularity are meaningless if the clubs aren't profitable and most of them are only just (part of which is poor management though).

As for the younger players, isn't the minimum salary about $50K? Not bad from someone in late teens, early 20s.

j s
29th April 2006, 12:03 PM
Nah!! The extra money should be used to reduce the cost of memberships.

Damn, I wish those pigs would stop flying over my house!

ScottH
29th April 2006, 12:13 PM
I think we need one for the pain and suffering we are caused each week.

JF_Bay22_SCG
29th April 2006, 12:37 PM
I work up to 45 hours a week. I get paid a a measly $33000 a year. In Sydney I find that genuinely struggle to make ends meet, especially given my rather 'extensive' travel schedule.

Why should a person who works for not even a quarter of that time get paid 10-20 times as much as me? I reckon that sucks.

AFL players are paid too much as it is I reckon.

JF

NMWBloods
29th April 2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
I work up to 45 hours a week. I get paid a a measly $33000 a year. In Sydney I find that genuinely struggle to make ends meet, especially given my rather 'extensive' travel schedule. @@@@@@@ - I can imagine you would that even without the travel!! :eek:

Why should a person who works for not even a quarter of that time get paid 10-20 times as much as me? I reckon that sucks.

AFL players are paid too much as it is I reckon.
I agree, although they do work more than ten hours per week.

Destructive
29th April 2006, 01:02 PM
I think they're paid enough already.

Big Al
30th April 2006, 02:50 PM
They should be paid exactly what the game can afford. At the moment with a lot of clubs struggling a pay rise doesn't seem justified.

Thunder Shaker
30th April 2006, 05:27 PM
A pay rise is warranted, but not necessarily for the players. Where I think the pay rise should be paid is the annual dividends to the clubs. The new television rights deal gives the AFL an additional $40 million a year. If half of that was distributed to the 16 clubs, each club would get an additional $1.25 million a year. With that sort of money, clubs like the Dogs, Demons and Roos would be much less likely to require financial assistance.