PDA

View Full Version : Don't you know it's MAGIC

Lucky Knickers
30th April 2006, 02:31 AM
Oooohhhhh baby it's MAGIC.

I liked MOL roaming in the gloaming tonight......

floppinab
30th April 2006, 09:47 AM
But his kicking is not sticking, 2 goals six behinds, sheesh.

My kids were trying to come up with reasons why he couldn't kick straight on the way home :

1. Well he is a MOLe, and given they don't have eyes it's no surprise he doesn't know where the goals are.

2. Someone slipped soap on his boot before the game

3. It was the new Olympic Stad. turf, he kept catching his foot on it.

4. He felt sorry for Baz and wanted him in the limelight tonight.

Any others.

Zlatorog
30th April 2006, 11:46 AM
According to teh stats it was 1.4 not 2.6. Althoguh I thought it was 1.5. But I agree with all those above. It was shocking and funny at the same time.:D

ROK Lobster
30th April 2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
But his kicking is not sticking, 2 goals six behinds, sheesh.

My kids were trying to come up with reasons why he couldn't kick straight on the way home :

1. Well he is a MOLe, and given they don't have eyes it's no surprise he doesn't know where the goals are.

2. Someone slipped soap on his boot before the game

3. It was the new Olympic Stad. turf, he kept catching his foot on it.

4. He felt sorry for Baz and wanted him in the limelight tonight.

Any others. He's no longer a good kick for goal.

ItsAllGoodes
30th April 2006, 11:54 AM
he actually had a couple of shots from about 50m, which at the end of last season he wouldnt have got anywhere near

when he struggles with distance his kicks fade from left to right...and he always allows for that...last night when he was kicking through the ball the kicks were going straight...but he was still allowing for that fade...which didnt come cos the kicks had more penetration...so now he just has to adjust and kick straighter

but gee he played a great game

Lucky Knickers
30th April 2006, 12:13 PM
I thought when he played further up the ground he was good last night. Did some excellent work.

sydneyswans1989
30th April 2006, 12:18 PM
I thought our kicking in general for goal was shocking, scoring 17 behinds for a game isnt a good thing.

NMWBloods
30th April 2006, 12:32 PM
We didn't concede them, we scored them.

Glenn
30th April 2006, 01:53 PM
Hmm who could it be that said Mick O has had it?? ;)

Grant
30th April 2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
he actually had a couple of shots from about 50m, which at the end of last season he wouldnt have got anywhere near

when he struggles with distance his kicks fade from left to right...and he always allows for that...last night when he was kicking through the ball the kicks were going straight...but he was still allowing for that fade...which didnt come cos the kicks had more penetration...so now he just has to adjust and kick straighter

but gee he played a great game

Thats spot on mate. I was thinking the same thing,at least he had the confidence last night to have shots from around 50m it wasnt that long ago he was struggling from 40 out.Amazing what confidence he gets from a) getting a fair bit of the ball and being in the play and b) being injury free and not worrying about his hammy.

The straightness will come if he keeps up that work

GoSouth33
30th April 2006, 10:08 PM
Micky O appears to never come out for the first pre-match warm-up (have a look next time) when they do their goal kicking.....I also heard him interviewed last night after the game and he mentioned that he doesn't do all the training sessions. It seems they're trying to extend his career by keeping him wrapped in cotton wool. He must only be doing limited kicking practice these days which doesn't seem to help with his set shots....

The Big Cat
30th April 2006, 10:17 PM
MOL, one of the few players in the AFL who make a half volley look like a simple chest mark.

Ruck'n'Roll
1st May 2006, 10:17 AM
It's strange isn't it, he was absolutely brilliant last night in everything except his goal-kicking, yet prior to the Geelong game he's been in mediocre form but kicking for goal quite accurately.
It's like he cen either play brilliantly of kick straight (looka t the grandfinal) but not both at the same time.

BarneyG
1st May 2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
He's no longer a good kick for goal.

When you have two shot knees, can't do any match practice, and still plays like he does is an outstanding effort......True Champion:cool:

ROK Lobster
1st May 2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by BarneyG
When you have two shot knees, can't do any match practice, and still plays like he does is an outstanding effort......True Champion:cool: <rolleyes>

NMWBloods
1st May 2006, 11:12 AM
When you have two shot knees, can't do any match practice, and still plays like he does is an outstanding effort......True Champion:cool: Maybe true champions deserve graceful retirements? We'll see how his entire season is.

Zlatorog
1st May 2006, 11:56 AM
In the end it will be Magic's decision when he wants to retire. Let's hope he is going on a high.

Go Swannies
1st May 2006, 12:00 PM
Magic's goal kicking (and Baz' and Nicky's) is a worry. But they started last season poorly, too (how far to take that analogy for everything??). I watched Magic a lot last night (when the camera wasn't on him) and he was running and tagging and leading hard all night. The most athletic performance I've seen from him all year (and last, and the year before).

Magic is the foil for Baz - when they click their ability to work together really is magical. So it's worth keeping him in there for assists even when his kicking is poor. And MOL's ability to create space is remarkable - in a wheelchair he'd probably be more value to us that anyone we have right now to put in his place.

Ted left the Bombers because he wanted to play forward, didn't he? I presume Ted came up to have a go at filling the gap that Magic's departure would leave. That has to be a long term project . . .

BarneyG
1st May 2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Magic's goal kicking (and Baz' and Nicky's) is a worry. But they started last season poorly, too (how far to take that analogy for everything??). I watched Magic a lot last night (when the camera wasn't on him) and he was running and tagging and leading hard all night. The most athletic performance I've seen from him all year (and last, and the year before).

Magic is the foil for Baz - when they click their ability to work together really is magical. So it's worth keeping him in there for assists even when his kicking is poor. And MOL's ability to create space is remarkable - in a wheelchair he'd probably be more value to us that anyone we have right now to put in his place.

Ted left the Bombers because he wanted to play forward, didn't he? I presume Ted came up to have a go at filling the gap that Magic's departure would leave. That has to be a long term project . . .

Well said/written....:cool:

BarneyG
1st May 2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Maybe true champions deserve graceful retirements? We'll see how his entire season is.

Would the same thing be said, if he kicked 4.1???????

SimonH
1st May 2006, 01:54 PM
I kept tally on the night, and 1.5 for mine. (There was one that might have been interpreted as touched/rushed on the line, but it was going through for a point anyway, so I credited it to him.) While it's true that he would have tried to pass off one or two of them if he was taking them in the last quarter of the GF, all were gettable and a pretty high proportion were out-and-out easy.

I agree with everything that's been said about his athletic performance, hard working (including crucial tackle that IIRC led to a 3rd-quarter goal), great marking of the low ball etc. But at the end of the day, he's in the team to score goals (or, if he feels like palming them off, to make sure the team scores goals). We cannot carry a key forward who misses more than he kicks in a tight game against a form opponent. Sat night has got to be a one-off for the rest of the year.

Raw numbers of goals and behinds for the team can be misleading. 15.17 wouldn't have been too bad if we took a lot of speculative shots from the 50 metre arc or outside. However, in a game where we created a huge number of quality chances, it was shocking. To dominate the 2nd and (most of) the 3rd in the way that we did, and not have a 5 goal quarter the whole match, was pretty disappointing. It was a continuation of the motif established in the Carlton and Melbourne games, where we don't make the opposition pay enough on the scoreboard during our periods of dominance; which makes for either an artificially close game, or a loss of a game we should have won.

ROK Lobster
1st May 2006, 02:28 PM
Would the same thing be said, if he kicked 4.1??????? Isn't the point that he kicked 1.4? Meaning that he's not as valuable a player as he might otherwise be. I daresay that if he kicked 4.1 people would be saying how valuable MOL was because he was still kicking so straight. <can we plaes have roll eyes back>

Carolyn
1st May 2006, 03:29 PM
He had 5 shots at goal. If he had got 5.0, I don't think this thread would even exist at all.

goswannie14
1st May 2006, 03:39 PM
Before Saturday night he had kicked 10.1, he's entitled to a bad night occassionally.

Bleed Red Blood
1st May 2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
We cannot carry a key forward who misses more than he kicks in a tight game against a form opponent.

I don't see how we are carrying him. He's still kicked the second most goals in the team this year (Plus many assists)

Go Swannies
1st May 2006, 04:31 PM
How does his goal/behind ratio compare to Baz'? I know it's a lot better than Davis'.

GoBloods
1st May 2006, 04:41 PM
mol has a degenerative knee injury..meaning the knee will never get better/recover froom the initial injury.this has limited his kicking. where a few seasons ago 50m from goals wasnt beyond him, now it is . his range would now be 40m maximum. i am sure if he plays in a true full forward position for us he will prove his value over the current season and beyond

ROK Lobster
1st May 2006, 05:02 PM
How does his goal/behind ratio compare to Baz'? I know it's a lot better than Davis'. It should be, he plays out of the goal square.

NMWBloods
1st May 2006, 05:04 PM
How does his goal/behind ratio compare to Baz'? I know it's a lot better than Davis'. It helps when you kick from 30m rather than 50m.

Go Swannies
1st May 2006, 05:15 PM
MOL 10 G: 5 B
Baz 17:8
Nick 5:6

By the way, kicking from 20 metres out didn't help Baz on Saturday night. And Magic seems to spend a lot of time leading up the wings to free the middle up for Baz.