PDA

View Full Version : Please let us not lose this week

dawson
8th May 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't like losing any match but if there is one team I dread losing to its Richmond.

Their supporters are a bunch of come out of the woodwork, bandwagon, spitting, tear up your membership losers who annoy me no end.

We simply can not lose to these guys.

Bad enough to lose by one point to them last year.

Then there was the game in 2002 when Luffy was tragically on hands and knees trying to get the ball while it rolled away from him for a goal.

Luffy was there again in 1999 when we narrowly lost to them. The ball was kicked off the ground with his hand on the ball and they still gave it as a goal. Luffy protested but to no avail.

573v30
8th May 2006, 09:02 PM
The Richmond supporters are a feral lot aren't they? I don't think we should fear the once but not currently mighty Tigers as their form over the past few weeks has been lacklustre. I view their style of play uglier than what Demetriou said about our boys at the beginning of last season.

I hope that Richmond will have another bad match with many missed shots at goal and BBBBH scoring at least 5 goals. :D

cruiser
8th May 2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by dawson
I dread losing to Richmond. Their supporters are a bunch of come out of the woodwork, bandwagon, spitting, tear up your membership losers who annoy me no end. The other half of their miserable football lives is spent as bandwagon St Kilda supporters.

dimelb
8th May 2006, 09:24 PM
Put the Hyphen on Richo and let Leo run.

garethb83
8th May 2006, 09:47 PM
If Leo is put on Richo (as i fear he will be) i can see another thousand free kicks being given against him and Richo kicking a bagful as a result!

Lets hope someone else gets that gig!

timbo
8th May 2006, 10:44 PM
Then there was the game in 2002 when Luffy was tragically on hands and knees trying to get the ball while it rolled away from him for a goal.

that was the 2000 game which we won by a point.

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th May 2006, 11:30 PM
Fear not fellow Swans comrades-we have a weapon for this week's match-ANNISWAN!

Never in a game of AFL footy have I seen one mere comment from a supporter so put a footballer off his game. It was in the last round in 2004 & Matthew Richardson had just taken a spekkie but missed from 15 metres out. Anniswan said comments which basically intimated as to Richo's penchance for a bit of a dummy spit; to which he replied by completely doing just that, screaming obsenities over the fence at her, much to our initial shock then amusement.

JF ;)

NMWBloods
8th May 2006, 11:50 PM
Not sure if it helps that much - Richo normally plays well against us and we don't have a fantastic record against Richmond.

Thunder Shaker
9th May 2006, 12:07 AM
I hope we beat Richmond. I've been to Richmond games 4 times and 3 times we've lost by a kick (6, 6 and 1). The other game we won by a lazy ten goals to hand the Tigers the wooden spoon.

If we get up, it might be fun to speculate loudly in front of Richmond fans on when the Richmond season begins its usual tailspin. In each of the past three seasons Richmond has:
* won fewer games after round 7 than before round 8
* they were higher than us after round 8
* they did not make the finals in any of the three years and we made the finals in all three years
* we won a premiership and they won a spoon

liz
9th May 2006, 12:18 AM
The Tigers' form suddenly looks good, having won three in a row, but the teams they've beaten have won 3 games in total between them - Essendon, Brisbane and Carlton.

They're trying to play a running, free-wheeling style of football but their disposal skills have been absolutely appalling, at least for the past two weeks - I didn't see much of their Brisbane game.

They have got away with it because Carlton and Essendon have matched their skill level. I can't recall seeing two scrappier, less skilled matches than their last two.

They deserve respect certainly - they have the tall timber to trouble Sydney's defence, plus a couple of youngsters playing with the fearless abandon that often comes with players in their first few games. The Swans just need to keep their heads and make sure they don't fall to the Tigers' level of turning the ball over with monotonous regularity.

The Tigers won't like an accountable, man-on-man style, and are likely to rush their disposal if nothing clear is on offer.

As reigning premiers, this is a game that the Swans should win so long as they don't turn up just expecting to win.

That said, our recent record against the Tiges has been patchy at best so I ain't that confident...:o

ben.carbonaro
9th May 2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by 573v30
The Richmond supporters are a feral lot aren't they? I don't think we should fear the once but not currently mighty Tigers as their form over the past few weeks has been lacklustre. I view their style of play uglier than what Demetriou said about our boys at the beginning of last season.

I hope that Richmond will have another bad match with many missed shots at goal and BBBBH scoring at least 5 goals. :D

Very feral, that's all one can use to describe Richmond supporters in my opinion.

Can't make it to the game due to VFL game.

anniswan
9th May 2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Fear not fellow Swans comrades-we have a weapon for this week's match-ANNISWAN!

Never in a game of AFL footy have I seen one mere comment from a supporter so put a footballer off his game. It was in the last round in 2004 & Matthew Richardson had just taken a spekkie but missed from 15 metres out. Anniswan said comments which basically intimated as to Richo's penchance for a bit of a dummy spit; to which he replied by completely doing just that, screaming obsenities over the fence at her, much to our initial shock then amusement.

JF ;)

IIRC the comment was "your a sook Richo", I did yell it louder than normal and when he reacted I just reeled him in.

I suppose this means I must go to to the game on Saturday, it was a game I was contemplating missing due to a committment in the evening. However you have just given me added motivation to get there on Saturday.

Out of this came the Greg B song called "Lets all do a Richo, Lets all do a Richo, wa wa wa wa."

ScottH
9th May 2006, 07:22 AM
Mature stuff.

TheHood
9th May 2006, 08:56 AM
I think Craig or LRT will get first go on Richo this weekend. I don't like Leo as loose man because he seems directionless and ineffective, even Port exploited this in Rd 2.

I think we need to be much more composed around the clearances, particularly Jolls who seems to be losing his way at times. Free kicks and panicy disposals from he and Chambers need to be eliminated so we can get better use.

goswannie14
9th May 2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by timbo
that was the 2000 game which we won by a point. I was at that game, it happened right in front of us, talk about frustrating.

I think the boys will win on Saturday because they don't want to ruin my birthday!

My only concern is that at times in the past when we have played against a low skilled side we have come down to their level of skill. If we can avoid doing that on Saturday we should win easily.

Jeffers1984
9th May 2006, 09:45 AM
A few milestones coming up this week though which should lift us up more.
Willos 300th
ROK's 150th??
Goodes 150 in a row

katie-scarlett
9th May 2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984

ROK's 150th??

100th :)

Hopefully he gets into the goal kicking practice and bags a couple to top it off this weekend.

Thunder Shaker
9th May 2006, 11:17 AM
Anniswan and Destructive are two who are potent with their ability to put the opposition players off their game. Which would be better - seating Anniswan with Destructive to magnify the effect, or space them apart to get better coverage?

floppinab
9th May 2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by dimelb
Put the Hyphen on Richo and let Leo run.

I seem to remember C.Bolt doing well on him for a game or two.

msb
9th May 2006, 12:07 PM
Richmond should be a tough game but who knows....it was only 5 weeks ago they got flogged by 115 points and that tells me they are very vunerable and definately not a top team. On the other hand they have won their last 3 so they will be very confident but it depends on which richmond turns up to play. Either way we can and should get over them quite comfortably

hammo
9th May 2006, 12:30 PM
Richmond's skills are appalling.

Had they been playing half decent teams in the past two weeks they wouldn't have got close.

I am fairly confident when Sydney go to Melbourne these days as we play well at Telstra Dome and the MCG.

This should be a win.

9th May 2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Richmond's skills are appalling.

Had they been playing half decent teams in the past two weeks they wouldn't have got close.

I am fairly confident when Sydney go to Melbourne these days as we play well at Telstra Dome and the MCG.

This should be a win.

What decent teams have the Swans played his year??

Round 6 - Brisbane - Win
Round 5 - Geelong - Win
Round 4 - Melbourne - Loss
Round 3 - Carlton - Win
Round 2 - Port Adelaide - Loss
Round 1 - Essendon - Win

It's hardly a list of who's who in the football world, Is it?

floppinab
9th May 2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 1963

Round 6 - Brisbane - Win
Round 5 - Geelong - Win
Round 3 - Carlton - Win
Round 1 - Essendon - Win

It's hardly a list of who's who in the football world, Is it?

No it ain't but we know full well how the Swans play, down the lower teams and up for the better ones.

Lucky Knickers
9th May 2006, 01:15 PM
Based on what's been posted; I'd put Annieswan on Richo and Destructive on Ray Hall.

Shame Schultz isn't playing - the rest of the cheer squad could continue to offer him a beer whenever he runs past.

ScottH
9th May 2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 1963

Round 6 - Brisbane - Win
Round 5 - Geelong - Win
Round 3 - Carlton - Win
Round 1 - Essendon - Win

It's hardly a list of who's who in the football world, Is it? Round 1 was a loss by the way.

As hammo said, their skills have been appalling but they have not given up, and maintained the pressure that has seen them keep on winning.

Even Wallace gave them a Z for skills and a A for effort.

cruiser
9th May 2006, 01:45 PM
This season is looking and feeling so very much like last season. Apart from Collingwood and Hawthorn, even the ladder is similar. I'm waiting for Hawthorn to do what Richmond did last year and take a nose dive down the ladder - someone's gotta make way for us. ;)

RogueSwan
9th May 2006, 02:34 PM
Whenever we play the Tigers I can't help but be reminded of the Kath & Kim episode where Kath is decked out in her Richmond gear and in walks Kel with the Swannies jumper. She was speechless. :)

Jeffers1984
9th May 2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Whenever we play the Tigers I can't help but be reminded of the Kath & Kim episode where Kath is decked out in her Richmond gear and in walks Kel with the Swannies jumper. She was speechless. :)
Whenever we play the Tigers i'm reminded by that feral cheer squad streaker who peraded herself in her underwear on the ground in our match in 2003. Worst. Sight. Ever!

Zlatorog
9th May 2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, that was terrible indeed and she totally put off Richo as well.:D

Gary
9th May 2006, 04:18 PM
IMO we will lose this week unless we play much better than we did against Brisbane who are very poor. I am constantly amazed by how overconfident people on this site are at times.
A good side, even a bubbly Richmond, would have made mincemeat of us by making less mistakes than we did, whereas Brisbane threw away a lot of our clangers.
We must hope they persevere in picking that bloke Stafford...who reminds me just a little of a fine athlete that gave us some good years.

Go Swannies
9th May 2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Gary

We must hope they persevere in picking that bloke Stafford...who reminds me just a little of a fine athlete that gave us some good years.

I just hope Richo has Stafford as his kicking coach.

RogueSwan
9th May 2006, 04:43 PM
Don't forget that the we love to play to the level of our opposition. When need to play a top team to get our skills, confidence and momentum up.

GoSouth33
9th May 2006, 11:21 PM
I hate having to rely on Richo having a bad game for us to be a chance of winning. We've just got to shut their attack right down and just frustrate the hell out of them with our constant pressure. The cream will rise to the top.....and that means us.

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 03:35 PM

Their supporters are a bunch of come out of the woodwork, bandwagon, spitting, tear up your membership losers who annoy me no end.

Coming from a Swans supporter, that's priceless.

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 03:37 PM
Worst first post ever.

BarneyG
10th May 2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 573v30

Richmond Supports are definately feral:D

I remember back in Rnd21 yr2000 when the swans won by 1 point. After the siren I swear about 20 blokes were punching on, they were that angry about the score line, it took about 10 police to calm the situation, and I was only 3 rows from the fight, and lets just say I took my swannies scarf off straight away and hid under my jacket:cool:

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Worst first post ever.

You disagree?

Richmond have been the worst performed team in the competition for the last 24 years (both on and off field) yet still consistently get excellent crowd and membership figures.

Have a look at the crowd at an SCG game next time Sydney is sitting in the bottom four half way through the season.

While Richmond may have a few over-passionate fans who take things too far at times, I'd prefer this to the fan who just stops turning up.

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 03:59 PM
Richmond, 1982: Top of the ladder finish, average home crowd 44,149

Richmond, 1987: Bottom of the ladder finish, average home crowd 17,619

Back to BigFooty for you.

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BarneyG
Richmond Supports are definately feral:D

I remember back in Rnd21 yr2000 when the swans won by 1 point. After the siren I swear about 20 blokes were punching on, they were that angry about the score line, it took about 10 police to calm the situation, and I was only 3 rows from the fight, and lets just say I took my swannies scarf off straight away and hid under my jacket:cool: At the same game I had a Richmond supporter start to mouth off at me because I had a go at the umpires.:confused: Thought he was going to come back and start swinging at me.:eek:

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 04:01 PM
Richmond, 1982: Top of the ladder finish, average home crowd 44,149

Richmond, 1987: Bottom of the ladder finish, average home crowd 17,619

Back to BigFooty for you.

Stats from the 80's were the best you could come up with?

BarneyG
10th May 2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
At the same game I had a Richmond supporter start to mouth off at me because I had a go at the umpires.:confused: Thought he was going to come back and start swinging at me.:eek:

Ha ha ha...Richmond supporters are a firey bunch. One ladder rung below collingwood supporters in my book.:D

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by BarneyG
Ha ha ha...Richmond supporters are a firey bunch. One ladder rung below collingwood supporters in my book.:D ...and just above St Kilda and Port Power supporters.:eek:

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Izzy Mandelbaum
Stats from the 80's were the best you could come up with?

It's a long time since you finished in a decent ladder position for comparison.

garethb83
10th May 2006, 04:05 PM
Are you on drugs izzy?

You would be foolish to think that big crowds would continue to turn up for any team when they are not playing well.

Perhaps the Tigers pull a fair crowd to a home game, maybe you should look at who they are playing?

Sydney is a one team city, away supporters (apart from the few and far between, and the cheer squad) just do not travel to these games, unlike if the Tigers were to play another Victorian based team, where do you think the crowd would most likely come from?

Nobody likes to go and pay good money to see their team consistently lose, and as a result, plenty don't! Its just a fact of life, and not only applicable to certain teams.

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 04:07 PM

Richmond have been the worst performed team in the competition for the last 24 years (both on and off field)

Hard to argue.

yet still consistently get excellent crowd and membership figures.

Nonsense.

While Richmond may have a few over-passionate fans who take things too far at times, I'd prefer this to the fan who just stops turning up.

Over half of Richmond's supporters are fair weather only.

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 04:11 PM
Stats from the 80's were the best you could come up with? It is hard to find any stats from when the Tigers finished in the top half of the ladder in the years since the 80's, after all it has only happened twice since 1982.

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 04:21 PM
It's a long time since you finished in a decent ladder position for comparison.

Which only makes my point stronger. In 2004 Richmond 'won' the wooden spoon yet in 2005 had their highest number of members ever (up to then), a number they have already beaten this year despite losing 10 of their last 13 matches last year and their first 3 matches this year. In round 5 this year, despite being 1-3 and losing 4 of their last 16 matches they drew a crowd of around 50000 for their match against fellow cellar dwellar Carlton.

I won't point out some of Sydney's figures, it's a little embarassing.

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 04:32 PM
In round 5 this year ... they drew a crowd of around 50000 for their match against fellow cellar dwellar Carlton.

Proof that Tigers supporters come out of the woodwork when there's a rough chance of a win.

garethb83
10th May 2006, 04:32 PM
In round 5 this year, despite being 1-3 and losing 4 of their last 16 matches they drew a crowd of around 50000 for their match against fellow cellar dwellar Carlton.

And all 50,000 of those were Richmond fans? Come on!

How about you split the crowd, as i'm sure a great number of them would be Blues fans, considering the closeness of the two areas.

I can guarantee you there is rarely a Sydney crowd under 20-25,000, so what are you talking about?

Gary
10th May 2006, 04:38 PM
Enough of the Izzy bashing (though not entirely unjustified)...welcome Izzy...but what was this thread supposed to be about???

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks Gary.

Over half of Richmond's supporters are fair weather only.

Tell me professor, do you think Sydney has proportionately more or less fair weather fans than Richmond?

You see, you're selling the real Richmond supporters short. They put up with the crap performances, horrible coaching, embarrasing management yet still enough of them buy memberships and attend games that Richmond are able to compete (in the most competitive club market in Australia) with teams that have won premierships and consistently made finals during the current era.

I just find it a little short-sighted when a Sydney fan criticizes these supporters when he or she should know very well that Sydney only draws crowds when things are going well also (and that their successes are due at least in some part to the list concessions afforded to it). But perhaps the person making the criticism doesn't actually go to the games when the Swans are doing poorly, so they don't actually notice this phenomenom.

NMWBloods
10th May 2006, 05:03 PM
I think categorising supporters of any team into stereotypes is fun, but it's silly to take it seriously.

I've met decent and stupid people and all varieties inbetween barracking for every club (yes, including Collingwood too).

garethb83
10th May 2006, 05:04 PM
But you would find it short-sighted... because we are having a crack at your team's supporters... ie. You!

Likewise we wouldn't be too happy about people ripping it up Swans fans... but then again, if you come onto a bulletin board which is called Red and White Online.... funny we are Swans fans on here!

If you don't like it, i'm sure you can go and discuss it with fellow Tiger fans...

Guzzitza
10th May 2006, 05:05 PM
Izzy. Why join a forum, merely to criticize the forums main focus (Swans supporters)??

If your club is so awesome, and your supporters so amazing, why arent you spending your time laughing it up with them? Cos right now, all your doing is creating flame bait.
Please, get a job, a friend, something.. but dont join a forum for the mere purpose of trying to attract an argument with its members.

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 05:06 PM
But perhaps the person making the criticism doesn't actually go to the games when the Swans are doing poorly, so they don't actually notice this phenomenom.

Sadly, the only year I lived in Sydney was 1994. Since then I have mainly been in WA so I pretty much support a losing team every time. :p

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 05:22 PM
Guzz, you're right, I shouldn't have bothered you all, but I just thought this statement: "Their supporters are a bunch of come out of the woodwork, bandwagon, spitting, tear up your membership losers who annoy me no end." was very much like the pot calling the kettle black and couldn't help but say something about it.

I didn't mean to be a troll so I won't mention it again.

BarneyG
10th May 2006, 05:33 PM
Guzz, you're right, I shouldn't have bothered you all, but I just thought this statement: "Their supporters are a bunch of come out of the woodwork, bandwagon, spitting, tear up your membership losers who annoy me no end." was very much like the pot calling the kettle black and couldn't help but say something about it.

Its good to see Richmond supporters stand-up for what they believe in (even though I hope you lose on Saturday:D )... Welcome to the board, hanging crap on each other about football teams is about Aussie as meat pies.:cool:

BonBon
10th May 2006, 05:35 PM
Good.

dawson
10th May 2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks Gary.

Tell me professor, do you think Sydney has proportionately more or less fair weather fans than Richmond?

You see, you're selling the real Richmond supporters short. They put up with the crap performances, horrible coaching, embarrasing management yet still enough of them buy memberships and attend games that Richmond are able to compete (in the most competitive club market in Australia) with teams that have won premierships and consistently made finals during the current era.

I just find it a little short-sighted when a Sydney fan criticizes these supporters when he or she should know very well that Sydney only draws crowds when things are going well also (and that their successes are due at least in some part to the list concessions afforded to it). But perhaps the person making the criticism doesn't actually go to the games when the Swans are doing poorly, so they don't actually notice this phenomenom.

Listen hotshot, I made my statement based on fans who spat at Spud and who harrassed his family. I made my statement based on a fan who delivered a truckload of manure to the club. I made my statement based on an acute knowledge of VFL/AFL history.

Your club had glory years in the 60s and 70s due to shrewd recruiting and the coaching of Tommy Hafey. But your fans still live in that era just like St George fans in the NRL still live in the same time.

Fact of the matter is that you have done SFA since winning the flag in 1980. Your record is infact apallling.

Your fans may turn up to the games in the droves you talk about but let me ask you this chief, how many actually stay till the end of the game? Your supposed loyal, died in the wool fans are notorious for leaving in the middle of the game when the going gets tough.

Casey36
10th May 2006, 06:50 PM
God, I Know I Hate Richmond!:mad:
It Kills Me That The Swans Keep Losing Against Them, Especially When We Are Capable Of Smashing Them!
If only Matthew Richardson could go away or get injured or something..Lol!

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 06:53 PM
You see, you're selling the real Richmond supporters short. They put up with the crap performances, horrible coaching, embarrasing management yet still enough of them buy memberships and attend games that Richmond are able to compete (in the most competitive club market in Australia) with teams that have won premierships and consistently made finals during the current era. You seem to have a selective memory. I have a friend who is a Richmond supporter, who, I think it was the late 80's, attended a rally which had the sole aim of keeping Richmond in the league because their supporters, in the main, had deserted the team and they were almost broke.

Luffs Fumbles
10th May 2006, 07:13 PM
Richmonds home games attendance since 94

Year Agg Average

1994 333,918 37,102
1995 546,500 49,682
1996 482,638 48,264
1997 381,301 38,130
1998 487,377 44,307
1999 541,009 41,616
2000 480,193 53,355
2001 521,390 52,139
2002 389,878 38,988
2003 307,952 38,494
2004 244,698 34,957
2005 281,021 40,146
2006 113,254 56,627

as we can see from the above Richmonds attendance has been extremely good & consistent considering there have only been TWO finals appearances in that time.............Hmmmmmm thats debunked some theories now hasnt it.

as for the consistent finals aspirants the Swannies -

Year Agg Average

1994 107,947 9,813
1995 175,442 15,949
1996 274,956 24,996
1997 402,735 36,612
1998 347,034 31,549
1999 336,447 30,586
2000 303,697 25,308
2001 330,674 27,556
2002 328,504 25,270
2003 386,931 32,244
2004 371,571 30,964
2005 378,186 31,516
2006 99,750 33,250

The attendances are somewhat lesseven with their increased success.....It looks like Luffy's fumbles another one. :D

Gary
10th May 2006, 07:31 PM
The Richmond average is impressive notwithstanding the "G" aspect. Respect where it is due given their results over that period. Did Izzy actually confess to being a Richmond supporter?

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 07:34 PM
The comparison is a nonsense given that 1. many Swans members live away from their "home ground" and 2. in any given first half of the year, Richmond's annual crowd figures are boosted by their early appearance of success, only to dwindle later when reality sets in.

Luffs Fumbles
10th May 2006, 07:38 PM
all Luffys showing is that Tiger fans arent "fair weather" supporters as a whole, & still come out in large numbers for their team despite being predominantly "@@@@e" for 25 years.

I dont think their is another club that could boast those figures if they had our recent on field record.

Thats all from Luffy fumbles

cruiser
10th May 2006, 08:21 PM
...and just above St Kilda and Port Power supporters.:eek: No, they are the equal worse in my view.

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 08:22 PM
I made my statement based on an acute knowledge of VFL/AFL history.

In my experience someone who tells you how knowledgable they are rarely turn out to be very knowledgeable at all.

Fact of the matter is that you have done SFA since winning the flag in 1980. Your record is infact apallling.

No @@@@. Haven't I said as much in this thread at least once?

Your fans may turn up to the games in the droves you talk about but let me ask you this chief, how many actually stay till the end of the game? Your supposed loyal, died in the wool fans are notorious for leaving in the middle of the game when the going gets tough.

Although I totally disagree that Richmond fans leave games earlier when they are losing than others team's fans (I'd say Richmond fans are better than average and a long, long way from notorious in this regard.), the fact that by turning up and paying either their membership fee or their admission they are helping the club really makes a non-issue out of people leaving games early to me.

You seem to have a selective memory. I have a friend who is a Richmond supporter, who, I think it was the late 80's, attended a rally which had the sole aim of keeping Richmond in the league because their supporters, in the main, had deserted the team and they were almost broke.

Not at all. I remember that clearly but as it was more than 16 years ago thought it was pretty irrelevant to a discussion about today's supporters,. much as Insanecow's use of stats from 1987 were redundant to the argument IMO also.

But seeing as you bring it up, yes Richmond did have a massive campaign to save the Club in the late 80's, and it's fans achieved the desired result. Tell me, do you think Sydney would have survived through it's dark years purely on the back of their supporters and without AFL/VFL financial assistance?

Sanecow
10th May 2006, 08:26 PM
Not at all. I remember that clearly but as it was more than 16 years ago thought it was pretty irrelevant to a discussion about today's supporters,. much as Insanecow's use of stats from 1987 were redundant to the argument IMO also.

So you have had 100% turnover from 1987?!?!?

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 08:32 PM
Obviously not, but cherry-picking stats from nearly two decades ago was clearly not as useful as giving a broad view of more recent stats considering Richmond have been consistently mediocre (and often downright crap) since 1982.

Surely when Dawson was bagging Richmond supporters in his first post in this thread he was bagging the modern version and not those from 1987?

Leeroy
10th May 2006, 08:36 PM
This is one of the more insane debates I've seen in a forum. I've been a Sydney fan for long enough to remember having an entire bay to yourself while we watched them get thrashed week after week. If you want to compare Richmond to Sydney, just look at the cheer squads. Number, noise, flags, songs, the Tiggers have it all over the Swans. I've a few friends who are Richmond fans and I haven't known more passionate and committed fans.

Tho Robert Walls said after his sacking "Passion! I was sick of the sound of that word!"

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Luffs Fumbles

Year Agg Average

1994 333,918 37,102
1995 546,500 49,682
1996 482,638 48,264
1997 381,301 38,130
1998 487,377 44,307
1999 541,009 41,616
2000 480,193 53,355
2001 521,390 52,139
2002 389,878 38,988
2003 307,952 38,494
2004 244,698 34,957
2005 281,021 40,146
2006 113,254 56,627

as we can see from the above Richmonds attendance has been extremely good & consistent considering there have only been TWO finals appearances in that time.............Hmmmmmm thats debunked some theories now hasnt it.

Year Agg Average

1994 107,947 9,813
1995 175,442 15,949
1996 274,956 24,996
1997 402,735 36,612
1998 347,034 31,549
1999 336,447 30,586
2000 303,697 25,308
2001 330,674 27,556
2002 328,504 25,270
2003 386,931 32,244
2004 371,571 30,964
2005 378,186 31,516
2006 99,750 33,250

The attendances are somewhat lesseven with their increased success.....It looks like Luffy's fumbles another one. :D One flaw in your argument is that the attendance figures don't take into account who the supporters were there to support. Usually in Melb the figures would be roughly 50/50 so those figures need to be halved. In Sydney however the visiting teams support would usually be less than 10% of the crowd, so those figures need to be reduced by 10%.

You can make stats say anything. But this may give a more realistic account of the quoted stats.

BTW I live in Melbourne and have been a Swans supporter for 37 years. I have been around league games and ground for a few (about 30) years, so I have a fair idea of the validity of the comments that I have made above.

dawson
10th May 2006, 09:55 PM
Just had a look at Punt Road End.

Izzy's name there is Disco08.

Piobaireachd
10th May 2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Guzzitza
Izzy. Why join a forum, merely to criticize the forums main focus (Swans supporters)??

If your club is so awesome, and your supporters so amazing, why arent you spending your time laughing it up with them? Cos right now, all your doing is creating flame bait.
Please, get a job, a friend, something.. but dont join a forum for the mere purpose of trying to attract an argument with its members.
Eat some pies?

Piobaireachd
10th May 2006, 09:57 PM
Sadly, the only year I lived in Sydney was 1994. Since then I have mainly been in WA so I pretty much support a losing team every time. :p Exactly! No one knows like we know :p

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 09:58 PM
One flaw in your argument is that the attendance figures don't take into account who the supporters were there to support. Usually in Melb the figures would be roughly 50/50 so those figures need to be halved. In Sydney however the visiting teams support would usually be less than 10% of the crowd, so those figures need to be reduced by 10%.

Not really. Most Melbourne teams will play around 5 games a year at home against interstate sides. Also, the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Geelong (when they play in Melbourne) draw significantly less than Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. I'd say with all that taken into account the yearly average for the more popular teams would be at least 70/30.

Piobaireachd
10th May 2006, 09:58 PM

I didn't mean to be a troll so I won't mention it again. No it wasn't pot/kettle/black. We don't spit! Or at least we aren't feral or stupid enough to be caught doing it on camera :)

Piobaireachd
10th May 2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Casey36
God, I Know I Hate Richmond!:mad:
It Kills Me That The Swans Keep Losing Against Them, Especially When We Are Capable Of Smashing Them!
If only Matthew Richardson could go away or get injured or something..Lol! Doesn't your little pinky get sore?

Piobaireachd
10th May 2006, 10:04 PM

Year Agg Average

1994 333,918 37,102
1995 546,500 49,682
1996 482,638 48,264
1997 381,301 38,130
1998 487,377 44,307
1999 541,009 41,616
2000 480,193 53,355
2001 521,390 52,139
2002 389,878 38,988
2003 307,952 38,494
2004 244,698 34,957
2005 281,021 40,146
2006 113,254 56,627

Year Agg Average

1994 107,947 9,813
1995 175,442 15,949
1996 274,956 24,996
1997 402,735 36,612
1998 347,034 31,549
1999 336,447 30,586
2000 303,697 25,308
2001 330,674 27,556
2002 328,504 25,270
2003 386,931 32,244
2004 371,571 30,964
2005 378,186 31,516
2006 99,750 33,250

The attendances are somewhat lesseven with their increased success.....It looks like Luffy's fumbles another one. :D Hey dufus.... How many Victorian club supporters do you think regularly take a day off to fly to Sydney to watch the Swan's play? I know I very rarely go to the SCG to watch the swans play their home games because, hey, I live in WA. You sir, are a prat that likes warp statistics to suit your pathetic arguments.

Thunder Shaker
10th May 2006, 10:10 PM
(comparison of attendances deleted for the sake of brevity)
The attendances are somewhat lesseven with their increased success.....It looks like Luffy's fumbles another one. :D
Capacity of MCG - 95,000
Capacity of SCG - 44,000

Hmm, seems the Swans' home ground holds somewhat less than the Tigers' home ground. Could that have something to do with the lower average attendances at Swans' games?

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 10:17 PM
Not really. Most Melbourne teams will play around 5 games a year at home against interstate sides. Also, the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Geelong (when they play in Melbourne) draw significantly less than Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. I'd say with all that taken into account the yearly average for the more popular teams would be at least 70/30. I don't agree with your 70/30, but even if you apply that formula to the above see what the figures say,

BTW the 10% visitors at the SCG was probably being a bit generous, 5% is probably closer to the mark.

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
Capacity of MCG - 95,000
Capacity of SCG - 44,000

Hmm, seems the Swans' home ground holds somewhat less than the Tigers' home ground. Could that have something to do with the lower average attendances at Swans' games?

What difference would that make if the grounds aren't full? How many people miss out on seeing the Swans because of sell outs each year?

Roscoe
10th May 2006, 10:29 PM
The games I most remember Swans V Tigers from yesteryear

1995 SCG - Richo does his knee - boundaries brought in closer
after that bad accident

1996 Waverly- Swans win by 1 point after a tigers goal is disallowed after a brilliant "stage" for in the back by Dunks in the dying seconds. -who was that free against - Richo ??

2005 MCG _ Tigers win by 1 after we beat the Collingwood
filth by 1 point the previous week

goswannie14
10th May 2006, 10:35 PM
What difference would that make if the grounds aren't full? How many people miss out on seeing the Swans because of sell outs each year? Dumb argument as no-one misses out on seeing the tigers due to a sell out.

Izzy Mandelbaum
10th May 2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe

1996 Waverly- Swans win by 1 point after a tigers goal is disallowed after a brilliant "stage" for in the back by Dunks in the dying seconds. -who was that free against - Richo ??

Yep.

Richo's BOG at the SCG in 2004 (?) was one of the best games he's played IMO.

Go Swannies
11th May 2006, 12:15 AM
Yep.

Richo's BOG at the SCG in 2004 (?) was one of the best games he's played IMO.

Yes - miserable wet day. The last time I saw the Swans players let their heads drop during a game until the start of this season. Richo actually looked like he deserved his place in the team that day.

NMWBloods
11th May 2006, 12:19 AM
Richo was awesome that day - beat us by himself - kicked 7 goals.

anniswan
11th May 2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Roscoe
The games I most remember Swans V Tigers from yesteryear

1985 or 86, we got beaten by Richmond by 1 point at the SCG on a Friday night, it was horrible.

NMWBloods
11th May 2006, 12:33 AM
Was that the game Capper kicked ten goals?

anniswan
11th May 2006, 12:44 AM
NMW, that's stretching the memory somewhat, I just remember walking out of the Paddo end of the ground, saying "1 point, only 1 point" I had only been following the Swans for a year and I think it was the first defeat I saw.

NMWBloods
11th May 2006, 10:21 AM
There was a game back then when Capper kicked 10 (or 12) goals and we lost to Richmond by 1 point or so.

Izzy Mandelbaum
11th May 2006, 11:18 AM
Dumb argument as no-one misses out on seeing the tigers due to a sell out.

The point is that unless either team is having regular sellouts then ground capacity makes little or no difference to crowd figures. Pretty obvious really.

573v30
11th May 2006, 02:06 PM
Well duh, a sellout crowd at the MCG is almost never 90 000 except when it's a grand final.

giant
11th May 2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Richo was awesome that day - beat us by himself - kicked 7 goals.

Actually, he looked like the only bloke out there who had ever played the game before. Remember him kicking a few from past the 50m arc on the boundary - not exactly normal "Richo-like" behavior.

JF_Bay22_SCG
11th May 2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
NMW, that's stretching the memory somewhat, I just remember walking out of the Paddo end of the ground, saying "1 point, only 1 point" I had only been following the Swans for a year and I think it was the first defeat I saw.

Yep, my Dad took me to that one. I recall he kicked 10 goals but missed one close to the blowing of the final siren. I recall from memory that Jeff Hogg kicked one last on to more or less seal it for the Tigers that day.

I was in the members near Kenny & recall experiencing barracking 'a la Richmond' for the 1st time. When you are 12 the site of a feral in opposition colours can be a tad confronting I'm afraid.

JF

j s
11th May 2006, 04:04 PM
I haven't actually read this thread yet but the subject is definitely one that applies to every round of footy I have ever taken an interest in.

A universal subject if ever I read one!!

Gary
11th May 2006, 04:27 PM
Can someone put this useless thread to sleep...apart from anything else Izzy is getting too many cheap threads at the start of his career!

msb
11th May 2006, 04:43 PM
Didnt the swans kick 30-plus goals aganist the tigers in the late 80's? I know they did against the bombers but who were the other teams? It was 3-4 weeks in a row they kicked 30 plus

NMWBloods
11th May 2006, 04:52 PM
Yes.

In both 1986 and 1987 in the space of 5 weeks near the end of the season we kicked big scores against Richmond and Essendon (and Melb in 86, WC in 87) and were demolished by Carlton and Hawthorn.

1987 was the year of the huge scores of three games > 30 goals.

dawson
11th May 2006, 05:39 PM
Is it true that we are playing for the Nick Daffy Cup?

cruiser
11th May 2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Can someone put this useless thread to sleep...apart from anything else Izzy is getting too many cheap threads at the start of his career! Says who?

goswannie14
11th May 2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Says who? I would never ascribe to a comment like that.:o

cruiser
11th May 2006, 09:08 PM
I would never ascribe to a comment like that.:o LOL ;)

goswannie14
14th May 2006, 09:46 PM
Not really. Most Melbourne teams will play around 5 games a year at home against interstate sides. Also, the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Geelong (when they play in Melbourne) draw significantly less than Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond. I'd say with all that taken into account the yearly average for the more popular teams would be at least 70/30. At the start of the game I reckon it was 60/40 Richmonds way, or maybe 65/35.

By 3/4 time it was about 50/50 by the final siren it was about 5/95. So it depends on what time of the game you calculate the percentages.

BTW even by your 70/30 calcualtion that means that there were only about 25000 were Richmond supporters. The Swans get that easily at every home game.