The Red Barron
14th May 2006, 08:13 PM
You know it makes sense.

Jeffers1984
14th May 2006, 08:16 PM
Prolly, but i doubt it would happen.

robbieando
14th May 2006, 08:18 PM
Wonder if the Bulldogs would have any need for the handball KING after today's effort???

The Red Barron
14th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
Wonder if the Bulldogs would have any need for the handball KING after today's effort???

He would look good in a doggies outfit and he could could be reunited with his first love.

barry
14th May 2006, 08:23 PM
Benny was always going to be in trouble once the AFL decided to speed the game up.
He may like a handball or two, but his key strength was to be able to take the tackle. Souths should look at him.

Hard to beleive this guy captained us in a premiership year.

The Red Barron
14th May 2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by barry
He may like a handball or two, but his key strength was to be able to take the tackle. Souths should look at him.

Thats harsh

to souths ;)

smartplay
14th May 2006, 09:07 PM
the coach must have the best team on the field ALWAYS

if mathew is marginally worst off player than the present players (or other current players) that took his place past two weeks, then he should be in due to his seniority.
but if he is way off from the present players or his past on-field duty is better served by the present players, then he should remain out. It appears to be this situation at present.
Otherwise, the coach urging (the team to get out to win) rings hollow if he does not put up the best team. I am sure 4 points are not to be sacrificed for the sake of one player.
Mathew should take the initiative to stand aside not to obstruct the formation of the BEST team for HIS CLUB ( & be on standby) That is a smart decision. isn't it?
Are players (like Mathew) not paid if he is not choosen to play? If it is so, then perhaps there is some $compensation for him (due to senority?)

Nico
14th May 2006, 09:21 PM
What was very noticeable yeaterday was the abscence of silly short kicks or handballing for the sake of handballing. These are 2 things that Mathews is adept at.

My thought on him is that he is a negative player and maybe as one poster said above, the game in 2006, he is 27, not pacy and may well have lost a bit of pace.

His absence yesterday was noted by a number of people. Did we miss him - a resounding NO.

Nico
14th May 2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by smartplay
the coach must have the best team on the field ALWAYS

if mathew is marginally worst off player than the present players (or other current players) that took his place past two weeks, then he should be in due to his seniority.
but if he is way off from the present players or his past on-field duty is better served by the present players, then he should remain out. It appears to be this situation at present.
Otherwise, the coach urging (the team to get out to win) rings hollow if he does not put up the best team. I am sure 4 points are not to be sacrificed for the sake of one player.
Mathew should take the initiative to stand aside not to obstruct the formation of the BEST team for HIS CLUB ( & be on standby) That is a smart decision. isn't it?
Are players (like Mathew) not paid if he is not choosen to play? If it is so, then perhaps there is some $compensation for him (due to senority?)

He is on a contract so gets paid regardless unless a performance base is built in.

I doubt any coach picks a team on seniority. Unless there is an injury how can anyone of yesterday's team be dropped.

MCVeigh got votes in some papers.

The Red Barron
14th May 2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Nico
What was very noticeable yeaterday was the abscence of silly short kicks or handballing for the sake of handballing. These are 2 things that Mathews is adept at.

My thought on him is that he is a negative player and maybe as one poster said above, the game in 2006, he is 27, not pacy and may well have lost a bit of pace.

His absence yesterday was noted by a number of people. Did we miss him - a resounding NO.

That is spot on. I have a feeling if Benny was playing maybe the scoreline would be less. There wasn't that indecisve "what to do" and it was very attacking.

Glenn
14th May 2006, 11:26 PM
Possible trade bait, but on current form would struggle to get a first round pick for him.

elroy67
14th May 2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Nico
He is on a contract so gets paid regardless unless a performance base is built in.

He would get match payments, so missing a game would affect his income.

This was the issue with Matthew Croft and the Bulldogs a few years back. He was clearly in very good form but not selected due to the coach wanting to blood young players. He treatened to go to court about it. I'm not sure how it was resolved.

That said, Benny does not warrant a place on the senior side on form.

damo the king
15th May 2006, 02:16 AM
My first post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if he is as bad as you all think he is, wouldn't it be safe to assume that at the ripe old age of "27" that no one would want him??? Why not offer support instead, you have to remember that we have a team that everyone in Australia thinks is old and slow....

Ben has a place in this side and to those who say that they can't believed he captained us in a premiership year, are you really saying that you have a better idea of talent and leadership than Roosy, the coaches and the leadership group within the players...

He wasn;t selected as captain by winning a raffle!!

Wardy
15th May 2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by damo the king
My first post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if he is as bad as you all think he is, wouldn't it be safe to assume that at the ripe old age of "27" that no one would want him??? Why not offer support instead, you have to remember that we have a team that everyone in Australia thinks is old and slow....

Ben has a place in this side and to those who say that they can't believed he captained us in a premiership year, are you really saying that you have a better idea of talent and leadership than Roosy, the coaches and the leadership group within the players...

He wasn;t selected as captain by winning a raffle!!

You've not watched alot of footy have you? Matthews is a liability - no one should be dropped to make way for him after the game on Saturday - its best free flowing game they have played in a while - LRT is still a bit indecisive as to whether to kick or handball - but Matthews just gets in the way and his disposals aren't that good. Sure he may kick the odd goal now and then - but thats about it. It may be harsh - but I think its fair.

ScottH
15th May 2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Wardy
You've not watched alot of footy have you? Matthews is a liability - no one should be dropped to make way for him after the game on Saturday - its best free flowing game they have played in a while - LRT is still a bit indecisive as to whether to kick or handball - but Matthews just gets in the way and his disposals aren't that good. Sure he may kick the odd goal now and then - but thats about it. It may be harsh - but I think its fair. But we won a flag with him, so the liability is not that big.

Wardy
15th May 2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
But we won a flag with him, so the liability is not that big.

True, but there are players who deserve a chance to be in seniors and who weren't getting a go, yet no matter how ordinary Matthew perfomance was - he was still in the first 22. whether its got something to do with his position in the leadership group - who knows? . His injury has given the other boys a chance to prove themselves and they have done so - so in theory, and if all things were fair and equal, I dont think anyone should be dropped from Saturdays lineup just to make way for him. But we all know that someone will be dropped and he will be back in the team.

ScottH
15th May 2006, 08:56 AM
True, but there are players who deserve a chance to be in seniors and who weren't getting a go, yet no matter how ordinary Matthew perfomance was - he was still in the first 22. whether its got something to do with his position in the leadership group - who knows? . His injury has given the other boys a chance to prove themselves and they have done so - so in theory, and if all things were fair and equal, I dont think anyone should be dropped from Saturdays lineup just to make way for him. But we all know that someone will be dropped and he will be back in the team. Yep, just like Dumpster

anne
15th May 2006, 09:33 AM
They would be crazy to bring in a slow player against the quickest team.

The Red Barron
15th May 2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by anne
They would be crazy to bring in a slow player against the quickest team.

But they will. Roos considers Benny to be important. I guess he is the boss and would know better.

It sucks that the development of a future star is being haulted because of handball benny being in the side.

Please trade him at the end of the year.

Ryan Bomford
15th May 2006, 09:58 AM
Assuming he's fit I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben picked for this week's clash against the Bulldogs.

If Roos is true to form in picking the right horse for the right course, Bennie's negating style may be just what we need to frustrate the Bulldogs midfield.

goswannie14
15th May 2006, 10:05 AM
True, but there are players who deserve a chance to be in seniors and who weren't getting a go, yet no matter how ordinary Matthew perfomance was - he was still in the first 22. whether its got something to do with his position in the leadership group - who knows? . His injury has given the other boys a chance to prove themselves and they have done so - so in theory, and if all things were fair and equal, I dont think anyone should be dropped from Saturdays lineup just to make way for him. But we all know that someone will be dropped and he will be back in the team. Maybe we could get Tonia Harding out here with an iron bar.:p

ScottH
15th May 2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Assuming he's fit I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben picked for this week's clash against the Bulldogs.

If Roos is true to form in picking the right horse for the right course, Bennie's negating style may be just what we need to frustrate the Bulldogs midfield. Put him on Scott West.

NMWBloods
15th May 2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
But we won a flag with him, so the liability is not that big. Soooo last year!

NMWBloods
15th May 2006, 10:23 AM
So if he is as bad as you all think he is, wouldn't it be safe to assume that at the ripe old age of "27" that no one would want him??? Why not offer support instead, you have to remember that we have a team that everyone in Australia thinks is old and slow.... A walking frame...?

ScottH
15th May 2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Soooo last year! You are only as good as your last flag!!

Captain
15th May 2006, 10:34 AM
A walking frame...?

This is the first ever time I have defended Mathews, and no I haven't been smoking any drugs.

But I think there is a place in the side for him when he is over his injury. Yes it will be unfair to the person he replaces, but he is a hardened senior player that is able to tag well. Having him on someone like West or Cross this week would be very valuable.

The big question would be, who does he come in at the expense of? Candidates would be McVeigh or Ablett. I would say McVeigh. He kicked a couple of goals and played ok but Mathews is a better, more experienced player.

Very harsh on McVeigh and won't help his development, but given a couple of injuries he will get his chance.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th May 2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Captain
The big question would be, who does he come in at the expense of? Candidates would be McVeigh or Ablett.
I wonder whether Roos will consider LRT or another tall defender for the sake of team balance?

damo the king
15th May 2006, 12:49 PM
i'd say with the number of posessions o'loughlin got on the half back against Richmond, he could easily make way for Matthews, but i would hate to see that..

It's more than likely that he simply won't get a game this week.

I also wouldn't worry about the Bulldogs pace, i mean Geelong didn't bother us, the Eagles can't seem to break away from us and Delidio did stuff all with all the pace he has.

Guzzitza
15th May 2006, 12:56 PM

It's more than likely that he simply won't get a game this week.

Look, Roos has proved time and again that he plays favourites. Benny will sadly come in for a younger more exciting player such as McVeigh, and Dempster will again be left out.. Its similar to premiership credits deal.. Benny was there and considered by Roos to be important, so the moment hes fit he'll be in the side.

But, as I've said...
Matthews can negate, but he cant create.
Lets hope he doesnt slow down the whole team with his "where am i going?" spin moves and crappy handballs. heres hoping..

NMWBloods
15th May 2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruckman
I wonder whether Roos will consider LRT or another tall defender for the sake of team balance? I can't see a matchup for LRT at all.

Captain
15th May 2006, 01:03 PM
I can't see a matchup for LRT at all.

Loose man in defence or play him up forward.

NMWBloods
15th May 2006, 01:38 PM
Loose man in defence or play him up forward. I don't know if he has the nous to play loose man and we don't need him in the forward line.

Captain
15th May 2006, 02:00 PM
I don't know if he has the nous to play loose man and we don't need him in the forward line.

He has played this role (loose man in defence) in stints during games before quiet effectively. He virtually played loose in the first half of the grand final!! I agree his football nous isn't anywhere near the Chad Cornes/Joel Bowden zone, however it would be a good learning experience for him and would be useful to get in the way of Johnson, Robbins and co.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th May 2006, 03:33 PM
Loose man in defence or play him up forward.
I've been a fan of the lads for some time but even I'm laughing at the mere thought of him sweeping across the half-back line. :D

Dpw
15th May 2006, 04:18 PM

What about dropping Chambers and using him as a 2nd ruckman? just for this game.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th May 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
What about dropping Chambers and using him as a 2nd ruckman? just for this game.

A possibility given the Dogs much claimed lack of height (with Grant and Harris it doesn't extend down back).

big bear
15th May 2006, 10:23 PM
We could use him as bait, but what would we catch. I wonder if West Coast would swap him for Cox. I just woke up and realize I was dreaming. Stuck with him I'm afraid.

goswannie14
15th May 2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by big bear
We could use him as bait, but what would we catch. I wonder if West Coast would swap him for Cox. I just woke up and realize I was dreaming. Stuck with him I'm afraid. He can go to Hawthorn for Spida.;)

Schneiderman
17th May 2006, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Guzzitza
Look, Roos has proved time and again that he plays favourites. Benny will sadly come in for a younger more exciting player such as McVeigh, and Dempster will again be left out.. Its similar to premiership credits deal.. Benny was there and considered by Roos to be important, so the moment hes fit he'll be in the side.

Well the favouritism bit is simply crap. Roos is more competitive than probably any single poster on these forums, so I doubt he would do anything that would truly jeopardise a win.

I am firmly in favour of the new kids, and dont appreciate Benny much either. But then I wasn't the one who coached this team from 12th on the ladder and disintegrating, right up to a flag in just 3.5years. So if Roosy thinks we need him in the side, then I trust his judgement. He may get it wrong, but its hardly fair to blame our recent good form on Benny's absence (even if it is extremely amusing to do so).

BigBadBarryNo1
17th May 2006, 04:49 AM
There is no questioning that he probably is a tagger and gets less on the stats sheet that the "prettier" players like Hally et al ... or that we would like him to step up a notch.

That said, the cold hard facts would be at this point in time is that on form, trading him for Spida + maybe.. Chambers *snickers* would be worth the pain.

I say lets give him a chance to step up.. remember how Fossie was playing before he got injured? Suddenly I noticed Fossies cleaner hands, kicks and runs straight after he came back on.

Also, do you really think that Benny would have enjoyed being on the sidelines when we had that MASSIVE win on the weekend?

Let's back him guys.. we're SWANS fans here, and we're supposed to back who we have, not back who we possibly can have.. get your noses out of the dirt.. sheesh!

RogueSwan
17th May 2006, 09:45 AM
Who is going to take Chris Grant? Too big for Leapin', he would just give away too many frees.

NMWBloods
17th May 2006, 10:09 AM
Grant spends most of his time at CHB now. If he does go forward, then C Bolton can pick him up.

Ruck'n'Roll
17th May 2006, 10:32 AM
Grant spends most of his time at CHB now. If he does go forward, then C Bolton can pick him up.
Grants an interesting problem, he at least begins just about every game as you say in the backline but gets shifted up forward for a bit during during most games (against Port for example he started at CHB but kicked 2).
When he does go forward he causes a match up problem because the Dogs forward line consists of no-one above6ft2.
So while I reckon LRT would be a great matchup for Grant (he played very well on him in the Wizard cup last year) I'm not sure he has the pace for Hahn or Murphy or Johnson which is who he would be left minding when the 'dogs forward line is Grantless. What do you think?

hammo
17th May 2006, 12:52 PM
We probably do need a bit more pace this week.

Dempster and/or Spriggs could be inclusions with either LRT or Chambers missing out.

Goodes can handle ruck when Jolly needs a rest.

liz
17th May 2006, 01:07 PM

When he does go forward he causes a match up problem because the Dogs forward line consists of no-one above6ft2.
So while I reckon LRT would be a great matchup for Grant (he played very well on him in the Wizard cup last year) I'm not sure he has the pace for Hahn or Murphy or Johnson which is who he would be left minding when the 'dogs forward line is Grantless. What do you think?

We could just stick LRT at FF!

RogueSwan
17th May 2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by liz
As long as we stick Monty/Schneider/McVeigh at his feet for the dish off handpass.

wheels27
17th May 2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by liz

I love that as a concept, would make CG be more accountable, instead of just roaming their backline at will. LRT to sit in the goalsquare to drag him back there, then go back to defence if Grant goes forward.

Did I just suggest LRT as a tagger?

Now I'm even surprising myself.......
very weird.....

Gary
17th May 2006, 06:44 PM
Till coming on here after the GF...I did not have a negative opinion of Benny...perceived him as average solid player who had been rarely out of the team for several years.
You guys made me look closer & he does make some mistakes...& has no real strong point...but IMO not nearly as bad as the hack he is made out to be. What are his average stats?
Having got that off my chest...no one deserves to be dropped, & if we remain strong I now see him as a good reserve for the inevitable injuries that will come.

Go Swannies
17th May 2006, 07:17 PM
I've avoided wading in here as it's a pointless thread. Ben is one of the six in the Swans' leadership group. Barring woeful form he will go into the team when he is available so someone will go out.

RogueSwan
17th May 2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
I've avoided wading in here as it's a pointless thread. Ben is one of the six in the Swans' leadership group. Barring woeful form he will go into the team when he is available so someone will go out.
Completely true,
but it doesn't stop us voicing our wishes that others, mainly Eski, McVeigh and Dempster, who have proved more than capable, aren't dropped for Mathews.

dendol
18th May 2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/interchange-limit-would-increase-injuries-roos/2006/05/17/1147545391492.html

Meanwhile, Swans midfielder Ben Mathews will be given another week to recover from a hamstring injury, meaning the Swans are likely to go into Saturday night's match against the Western Bulldogs unchanged.

RogueSwan
18th May 2006, 10:07 AM
I know someone has mentioned it before, but is Mathews the Schauble of 2006? The only exception being no one is RWO, in general, don't want him back.

ugg
18th May 2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
I know someone has mentioned it before, but is Mathews the Schauble of 2006? The only exception being no one is RWO, in general, don't want him back.

Sorry, I don't understand the comparison. Mathews is injured at the moment and that's why he's not in the team.

RogueSwan
18th May 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ugg
Sorry, I don't understand the comparison. Mathews is injured at the moment and that's why he's not in the team.
and that's what we were told about Schaubs as well, I know he did play in the seconds but IIRC he was also listed as injured for a lot of last season and eventually slipped away.

wheels27
18th May 2006, 11:38 AM

One massive difference, former B&F vs long standing but unspectacular bit player.

ugg
18th May 2006, 12:02 PM
and that's what we were told about Schaubs as well, I know he did play in the seconds but IIRC he was also listed as injured for a lot of last season and eventually slipped away.

Not exactly true, Schauble played many weeks in the reserves.

bigswan
18th May 2006, 12:51 PM
Pretty offensive to label Benny a bit player. Takes a good player every week, leadership group, great experience. There is no way he will be traded. The players you want to be put into the side have to earn their place over seasons as Ben, Fossie, and all the others you want to put out of the side had to do.

C-Train
18th May 2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Richard Davis
Pretty offensive to label Benny a bit player. Takes a good player every week, leadership group, great experience. There is no way he will be traded. The players you want to be put into the side have to earn their place over seasons as Ben, Fossie, and all the others you want to put out of the side had to do.

Here here!

I second every word!

hammo
18th May 2006, 01:57 PM
List regeneration is a necessary evil. You only have to look at Brisbane, Port, Essendon etc to see the pitfalls of loyalty to senior players.

However, I think he will play out his career with Sydney.

It's unlikely a trade can be arranged given most clubs have decided to go the youth policy and midfielders like Benny are everywhere.

If a Brownlow medallist such as Woewoedin can't get picked up then I doubt Benny will.

C-Train
18th May 2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by hammo
List regeneration is a necessary evil. You only have to look at Brisbane, Port, Essendon etc to see the pitfalls of loyalty to senior players.

However, I think he will play out his career with Sydney.

It's unlikely a trade can be arranged given most clubs have decided to go the youth policy and midfielders like Benny are everywhere.

If a Brownlow medallist such as Woewoedin can't get picked up then I doubt Benny will.

I second that too...

I'll have some of my own opinions soon...:D

elroy67
18th May 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm a little disturbed by this thread.

Ben Matthews has been and continues to be an excellent servant of the club. It was not that many years ago that he would have been consistently among our highest possession winner. This talk of trading him is nothing short of ridiculous

The idea of loyalty between player and club is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons that families follow footy clubs for generations. It sets footy apart from all other codes in that respect, most notably rugby league and the world game. It even encourages clubs to retain thier champions through specific salary cap rules.

Ben Matthews at worst would be an excellent mentor for the kids in the reserves, even though I feel his experience certainly has a place in the seniors should his form warrant it.

Legs Akimbo
18th May 2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by elroy67
I'm a little disturbed by this thread.

Ben Matthews has been and continues to be an excellent servant of the club. It was not that many years ago that he would have been consistently among our highest possession winner. This talk of trading him is nothing short of ridiculous

The idea of loyalty between player and club is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons that families follow footy clubs for generations. It sets footy apart from all other codes in that respect, most notably rugby league and the world game. It even encourages clubs to retain thier champions through specific salary cap rules.

Ben Matthews at worst would be an excellent mentor for the kids in the reserves, even though I feel his experience certainly has a place in the seniors should his form warrant it.

Leroy76, your last five words are the most telling.

goswannie14
18th May 2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Leroy76, your last five words are the most telling. I thought axactly the same thing LA.:)

elroy67
18th May 2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Leroy76, your last five words are the most telling.

AL,

I am the first to agree that we should only pick players on form, but that is a different matter entirely to the general tone of this thread.

wheels27
19th May 2006, 09:35 AM
I love to bag Mathews (and I do), but in reality, as mentioned here, loyalty to the core playing group has been the key to our success.

Obviously Ben is not as skilled as most others in the team, but he obviously must make up for that in usefulness to the attitude of the team, maybe even because of that. He would be one player who has to be at his absolute best every week, or he gets found out, this would set a pretty good example for younger guys I would have thought....

Probably similar to what Kel did during his captaincy, started out as one of the least skilled at the club but hard work got him a brownlow, just as hard work has got Mathews a premiership.

He will never be a champion, but is a swan through and through, so I guess that puts me in the 'against trading him' category......

plus I need someone to yell at every week ;)

RogueSwan
19th May 2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wheels27
Obviously Ben is not as skilled as most others in the team, but he obviously must make up for that in usefulness to the attitude of the team, maybe even because of that. He would be one player who has to be at his absolute best every week, or he gets found out, this would set a pretty good example for younger guys I would have thought....

That is a very good point. If that is the way it is, let him play (once his hammy is okay).

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd May 2006, 12:46 PM
We could definitely have used Ben Matthews against Robbins or Johnson this week!

NMWBloods
22nd May 2006, 12:52 PM
Both would have beaten Mathews as they would outmark him.

Sanecow
22nd May 2006, 12:56 PM
Both would have beaten Mathews

Of course they would, Bloods. Mathews plays for the Swans.

NMWBloods
22nd May 2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Of course they would, Bloods. Mathews plays for the Swans. Mathews is hardly renowned for his prowess in the air.

liz
22nd May 2006, 01:00 PM
We could definitely have used Ben Matthews against Robbins or Johnson this week!

Nah - he doesn't have the pace to go with either of them.

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd May 2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by liz
Nah - he doesn't have the pace to go with either of them.

Mathews is hardly renowned for his prowess in the air.

Both fair criticisms (although he's certainly better than Crouch above his head) his limitations are noted, regardless of them he has been an excellent "Plan B" for the Swans ~ he has shown the ability to move onto and shut down an opponent that was firing.

NMWBloods
22nd May 2006, 02:54 PM
he has been an excellent "Plan B" for the Swans ~ he has shown the ability to move onto and shut down an opponent that was firing. Yes, I think he's generally done a fine job at negating ground players. However, I think we need more.

Go Swannies
23rd May 2006, 02:07 PM
Over at the Swans website you'll find this:

"Meanwhile, Ben Mathews is due to return from a hamstring injury for Saturday night's game with Hawthorn at the MCG and the dilemma will be who to drop.

Roos joked that Mathews was hovering around the recovery session at North Bondi on Sunday morning so 'I think he is pretty keen'.

"Benny is a quality player and he has been in our top five or six in the best and fairest for the last 7-8 years so he is clearly one of our better players and we will have to find a spot for him if he is fit," he added.

"We have to see how Craig Bolton (hamstring) and Luke Ablett (bruised knee) pull up. I think they are both going to be ok but it is a long week and you have to get through the week.

"But certainly Benny is an important player for us and we will have to find a spot for him and if everyone is fit then it is going to be somebody unlucky to miss out.

Ryan Bomford
23rd May 2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
he has shown the ability to move onto and shut down an opponent that was firing.

I like that: Benny - The Cooler'

RogueSwan
30th May 2006, 04:29 PM
Well, we won with Mathews, so now we can't drop him because he is part of the winning formula. :frown

Guzzitza
30th May 2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah but his play was best described by the commentator when Benny received the ball on the run just outside defensive 50, with swans players running forward for him and he stopped, stuttered, walked back 5 metres and pondered what to do until called to play on.. ..

"Matthews... in two minds what to do with it"

Couldnt have put it better myself. Oh well, at least he didnt kick backwards.

RogueSwan
30th May 2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah but his play was best described by the commentator when Benny received the ball on the run just outside defensive 50, with swans players running forward for him and he stopped, stuttered, walked back 5 metres and pondered what to do until called to play on.. ..

Couldnt have put it better myself. Oh well, at least he didnt kick backwards.
Yes, I remember that call. So plain to see even the commentators couldn't miss it!

NMWBloods
30th May 2006, 05:04 PM
Like Barry - "decision making skills of a junky!"

Agent 86
30th May 2006, 10:46 PM
Benny's useful when we need to "win ugly". Those low-scoring, dour games in the middle of a Melbourne winter are made for him.

goswannie14
30th May 2006, 11:00 PM

Couldnt have put it better myself. Oh well, at least he didnt kick backwards. I would have thought he looked more like a deer in the headlights, you can almost see the cogs whirring as he thinks..."What should I do?"