PDA

View Full Version : Our Team Spirit is back

bloodboy
15th May 2006, 08:38 PM
I meant to say this the other night after the game but I think that there is a really positive sign that our champion team spirit is back. I can remember a few incidents where I was thinking to myself that these boys are once again playing for each other and the good of the team. The one that stuck out most was when O'Keefe got his first goal after the siren and everybody ran up to him and they huddled and were pumping each other up. I once again thought that this was a bunch of blokes who really like playing together and are still hungry for success. I hope they can keep it up...awesome to see that they are all working together again.

Nico
15th May 2006, 08:54 PM
I think the best indication was the 81 tackles.

"81 bloody tackles", that is an incredible number. I remarked at the game that we were not giving them a sniff in close quarters.

Even in the last few minutes we were all over them like a cheap suit.

bloodboy
15th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah - I agree - our tackling was back in a big way as well. I was watching the wrap up that channel 10 do after the night games and remember a highlight package that they showed of our tough tackling. Very good signs...

goswannie14
15th May 2006, 09:59 PM
For me I saw something I have rarely seen in the Swans in 37 years of supporting them, they were relentless. They didn't just stop when they gopt far enough ahead, they made sure they really buried Richmond.

Too often they have got to 50-60 points ahead and seemed happy with that, but Saturday was different, they really went in for the kill. Great stuff boys keep it up.:D

Sanecow
16th May 2006, 12:21 PM
There were lots of pats on the head and golf claps of appreciation towards teammates. A positive sign. Nick Davis didn't seem to share the love much though; he expects delivery on the chest every time he leads.

NMWBloods
16th May 2006, 12:29 PM
Amazing how much they ignore Davis though. At one stage O'Keefe ignore his lead to the middle so he could kick to Hall deep in the pocket on the boundary instead.

On the flipside though, Davis needs to improve his marking to make him a more viable target.

NMWBloods
16th May 2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
For me I saw something I have rarely seen in the Swans in 37 years of supporting them, they were relentless. They didn't just stop when they gopt far enough ahead, they made sure they really buried Richmond.

Too often they have got to 50-60 points ahead and seemed happy with that, but Saturday was different, they really went in for the kill. Great stuff boys keep it up.:D Same. I've seen them do that perhaps no more than about half a dozen times in 30 years. I was expecting the usual slowdown, and 8-10 goal win. Great to see them keep going.

Jeffers1984
16th May 2006, 12:37 PM
Their relentlessness and defensive pressure reminded me how much i love supporting this team.

ScottH
16th May 2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Amazing how much they ignore Davis though. At one stage O'Keefe ignore his lead to the middle so he could kick to Hall deep in the pocket on the boundary instead.

On the flipside though, Davis needs to improve his marking to make him a more viable target. But didn't Davis jump and skip and dance when he got his 1 goal.

stellation
16th May 2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
But didn't Davis jump and skip and dance when he got his 1 goal.
Should he have looked upset?

Ruck'n'Roll
16th May 2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Like you I've seen plenty of games where we were on the recieving end, but precious few where we did the grinding rather than Carlton of whoever.

ScottH
16th May 2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Should he have looked upset? As it was his last for the day, maybe!!

He just seemed to enjoy it more than usual.

stellation
16th May 2006, 02:08 PM
As it was his last for the day, maybe!!

He just seemed to enjoy it more than usual.
I got the impression he was pretty happy in general to have got through the game okay and contributed. His number of disposals wasn't huge, but it was all quality (best disposal of the night for me was the patented Davo fend off a Tiger across the HBF then a perfect pass of his wrong foot to ROK on the wing who made a mess of the mark) and he hussled and presented well.

ScottH
16th May 2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I got the impression he was pretty happy in general to have got through the game okay and contributed. His number of disposals wasn't huge, but it was all quality (best disposal of the night for me was the patented Davo fend off a Tiger across the HBF then a perfect pass of his wrong foot to ROK on the wing who made a mess of the mark) and he hussled and presented well. I reckon he has been watching a Plugger/Meninga fend off highlights video. He seems to do this a lot annnnd loves it.

ScottH
16th May 2006, 02:15 PM
There was another passage of play where I think the Tigers ran the ball from defence to the F50 and (I think scored), but the swans tackling was intense, every player that touched the ball had to scramble to get rid of it, before being pinged. It was sheer persistence that got the ball up the other end, but it must have worn them out, it was a major effort.

Lucky Knickers
16th May 2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with everyone about going on with it. I can't remember seeing them really finish a game off like that. I was expecting them to take the foot off at 3/4 time.

The best example of how relentless the Swans were was Deledio's fumble/stumble in the 4th quarter that lead to a turn over and a goal by us. Deledio was Deadio on his feet and slapped the turf. The swans were merciless.

I could not get over how crisp and clean our skills were. Delivery by hand and foot was exceptional. It seemed that there were two swans to every tiger. The number of options the player in possession had was phenomenal - when running from D50 a player had at least two handball options and one option by foot forward of the ball and one of each behind plus an option to switch play. I know tigers didn't provide much pressure, however, the movement of the ball out of defensive was awesome.

I hope we can string another game together this week as the boys will need to be switched on against the doggies.

undy
16th May 2006, 04:46 PM
I'm laying full credit for the ability to go on with squashing a team and win by over 100 points to the practice in the ACTAFL. Enough of this "ACTAFL is too easy" whining- its where we learnt to win big.

Claret
16th May 2006, 05:27 PM

You need to look at it in context. The bloke had just come back from injury, prior to his injury the team had losing form, and it was only our second goal of the match. It wasn't as if we were already up by 100+ and kicking goals was almost a formality. When you, as a team, kick two goals in the first two minutes against a team you haven't beaten in a few years why wouldn't you get a little excited?

Thunder Shaker
16th May 2006, 05:51 PM
I have no problem with players that celebrate every goal. For all we know, they've just kicked their last goal in the AFL.

I hope Jamie Lawson celebrated his goal against Adelaide in round 18, 1994. It was his last in the AFL; the following week he broke his leg against Richmond and never played in the AFL again.

ScottH
16th May 2006, 08:15 PM
I never said I had a problem with it either.

My first thought was, he was like a kid in a candy store.

goswannie14
16th May 2006, 08:36 PM
My first thought was, he was like a kid in a candy store. That's what they all looked like by the end of the game. For that matter so did I.:D

The Undertaker
16th May 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes,i have noticed they are playing more as a unit.

The start of the season brought on a several individuals.

There is a lot more cohesion and its reflecting on the scoreboard.

Its great to see!:)

BigBadBarryNo1
17th May 2006, 04:58 AM
Still a long season to go for the boys..

And I'm sure there's room for improvement for a few players there.

LRT certainly had a cracker of a game, but even then he does erh.. lets say.. require some passing (remember that pass straight into Barry who was manned up?) and kicking (oh dun let me look away with pain) skills..

BigBadBarryNo1
17th May 2006, 06:10 AM
Our Team Spirit is back, that's for sure, and we're finally playing some positive footy.