PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Wilson...

Tuesday
16th May 2006, 07:39 PM
Although it is Rebecca Wilson, (http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy/story_page/0,8747,18965626%255E21547,00.html) she does have a point.

goswannie14
16th May 2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Tuesday
Although it is Rebecca Wilson, (http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy/story_page/0,8747,18965626%255E21547,00.html) she does have a point. Yes Tuesday well put, she does have a point. Just reminds me how much I hate having to go to Adelaide, but as my teenage daughters live there I am off for a birthday party tomorrow....in Adelaide.:eek:

cruiser
16th May 2006, 08:34 PM
Before I emmigrated from Adelaide in 1986, Rucci was a journo with the now defunt Daily Mirror and back then he was incredibly bias towards Port. I cant comment on his journalism now although there is no excuse for the degree of hate levelled towards him. As much as I HATE Port, I did have Port supporting friends and I know where to draw the line on footy related 'hatred'.

Sanecow
16th May 2006, 08:34 PM
My ex- is there too. What a hole.

NMWBloods
16th May 2006, 08:35 PM
Shows how moronic people can be!

cruiser
16th May 2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
..as my teenage daughters live there I am off for a birthday party tomorrow....in Adelaide.:eek: You have my sympathy.

NMWBloods
16th May 2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
he was incredibly bias towards Port. "Biased".

Sanecow
16th May 2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Shows how moronic people can be!

Living in Adelaide?

cruiser
16th May 2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
"Biased". Thank you. What would I do without you NMW.

Ruda Wakening
16th May 2006, 08:49 PM
In a rush of blood to his head he didn't realise that the reason I appear in this newspaper is precisely why he doesn't like me ? that I am female and don't live anywhere near AAMI Stadium.

I think she needs to stop playing the old 'they don't like me because i'm a woman' card. The people she's attacking don't like Rucci for whatever reason and he's a man.

Tuesday
16th May 2006, 08:55 PM
It's the only thing that comprises her identity.

goswannie14
16th May 2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
In a rush of blood to his head he didn't realise that the reason I appear in this newspaper is precisely why he doesn't like me ? that I am female and don't live anywhere near AAMI Stadium.

I think she needs to stop playing the old 'they don't like me because i'm a woman' card. The people she's attacking don't like Rucci for whatever reason and he's a man. Icouldn't care less whether she is a woman or not, to put it plainly, I don't like her because she is a pain.

GoSouth33
16th May 2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Icouldn't care less whether she is a woman or not, to put it plainly, I don't like her because she is a pain.

Oh, leave her alone. Her heart's in the right place. She loves the Swans.

humphrey bear
17th May 2006, 04:13 PM
I think she needs to stop playing the old 'they don't like me because i'm a woman' card. The people she's attacking don't like Rucci for whatever reason and he's a man. [/B]

She has to play the female card because its the only card she has. A bloke would have been sacked a decade ago if he carried on like her.

Tuesday
18th May 2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by GoSouth33

It would explain why she sings "cheers cheers the red and the white" then. :o

ScottH
18th May 2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Tuesday
It would explain why she sings "cheers cheers the red and the white" then. :o She was cheering the wines, you idiot, after dowing several bottles.

floppinab
18th May 2006, 12:34 PM
Before I emmigrated from Adelaide in 1986, Rucci was a journo with the now defunt Daily Mirror and back then he was incredibly bias towards Port. I cant comment on his journalism now although there is no excuse for the degree of hate levelled towards him. As much as I HATE Port, I did have Port supporting friends and I know where to draw the line on footy related 'hatred'.

It was the "The News" cruiser, Mr Murdochs first paper, an afternoon daily whichs name bears the family business still today (the paper went the way of most of tabloids that Murdoch swallowed up). I should know, I sold about 100 of the bloody things on East Avenue 3 nights a week for 5 or so years in the late seventies and early eighties.

I still love the place to bits and it has improved, but Adelaide has generally been a very insular, inward looking city. "We've got what we've got, and it's better what anyone else has got so why the hell should we give a @@@@ about anywhere else. And BTW we hate Victorians". These sorts of reactions are a hangover of that sort of attitude methinks.

Bit weird to see Wilson writing in an Adelaide paper though. Seriously stuggling for gig.

JF_Bay22_SCG
18th May 2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by GoSouth33

Um, she hopped on the bandwagon after being a Carlton supporter for years actually mate.

She seriously has no crediblity in terms of everything she writes. She sadly epitamises the stereotypical Sydneysider-surface-level, extremely fickle, more worried about her appearance than what comes out of her mouth, responding to bitchy gossip & heresay & printing it as fact (and I do know alot more about this if people want details, as it eminated from a thread started on Leagueunlimited trying to portray Swans AFL players in a bad light), worried about 'big stars' rather than the little people who made sport what it is.

Melbourne has Carolyn Wilson. Sydney has Rebecca Wilson. If both cities were to be categorised, using those two media media provides a very telling example of the bad points of both places.

JF

cruiser
18th May 2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
It was the "The News" cruiser, Yes, of course it was. I'm confusing it with the now defunct Sydney paper (another Murdoch rag).

cruiser
18th May 2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Um, she hopped on the bandwagon after being a Carlton supporter for years actually mate. Probably because, like many other now Sydney based Swans supporters, she changed her allegiance when she moved to Sydney to live . As she was from Brisbane her Carlton allegiance was probably not that strong (like mine for Richmond before I moved here to live).

JF_Bay22_SCG
18th May 2006, 02:33 PM
Probably because, like many other now Sydney based Swans supporters, she changed her allegiance when she moved to Sydney to live . As she was from Brisbane her Carlton allegiance was probably not that strong (like mine for Richmond before I moved here to live).

Funny though how she said she followed both teams right up until the early 2000s when Carlton started to drop away.

Hmmmm.......nothing like an each way bet to see which team will bomb out first.

JF

hammo
18th May 2006, 03:01 PM

Why is she writing for the Advertiser then?

We all know Adelaide supporters of either team are moronic, and I am not excusing any moronic behaviour, but its a bit rich for Wilson to be preaching her holier than though attitude to a city she doesn't live in.

Her AFL credentials are dubious at best and its embarassing she's a swans supporter writing this stuff.

I'd like to know what her "fued" with Cornes is about.

OldE
18th May 2006, 03:17 PM

Melbourne has Carolyn Wilson. Sydney has Rebecca Wilson. If both cities were to be categorised, using those two media media provides a very telling example of the bad points of both places.

What made you select those two journalists in particular, JF, as opposed to say, Walls? :mad:

Ruda Wakening
18th May 2006, 04:48 PM
responding to bitchy gossip & heresay & printing it as fact (and I do know alot more about this if people want details

I want to know who the two Swans players were who were caught without train tickets, and the which Swans player it was who threw the brown eye at a nightclub security camera.

I also want to know if she ripped into MOL, Heuskes and Burgoyne like she did the Bulldogs, Shane Warne and Wayne Carey.

goswannie14
18th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
What made you select those two journalists in particular, JF, as opposed to say, Walls? :mad: Could be because they are both as ignorant about footy as each other. But that is just IMO.

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th May 2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
What made you select those two journalists in particular, JF, as opposed to say, Walls? :mad:

Gender & surname I guess.

JF

SimonH
22nd May 2006, 01:12 AM
Rebecca Wilson finishing an article with, "Life is just too short for such idiocy", is gold. She's just written her own epitaph. Trying to develop notoriety by being in perpetual feud with any half-famous antagonist you can find, is behaviour of someone operating at the level of Paris Hilton or Mike Tyson.

The 'Adelaide is more insular than a larger city' line is a half-hearted attempt to cover the fact that M. Rucci is an embarrassing hack. So far as the city is inward-looking, Rucci contributes to the insularity rather than encouraging the locals out of it. As for the allegedly excessive response to his scribbling, is she seriously saying that Exhibit A is a campaign to collect $5 a pop for an early retirement fund? That's positively genteel (in the grand tradition of Clones fans); it isn't exactly concrete shoes, is it?

OldE
22nd May 2006, 03:56 AM
I also want to know if she ripped into MOL, Heuskes and Burgoyne like she did the Bulldogs, Shane Warne and Wayne Carey.

Of course not, Ruda. That would require journalistic integrity. It would also require her to actually defend women, rather than just playing the "I'm such an oppressed female" card.

But more than anything, it would mean doing something that would possibly cross Swans team lines. And she wouldn't want to jeopardise getting all that free champagne, would she?

Damien
22nd May 2006, 08:41 PM

I think she needs to stop playing the old 'they don't like me because i'm a woman' card. The people she's attacking don't like Rucci for whatever reason and he's a man.

I am not her biggest fan, but when I worked at News Ltd when I first moved to Sydney a decade ago, we would often receive letters from men telling the Telegraph and Australian editors to stop allowing women to report and comment on "Male" sport.

I imagine that most hate mail she gets would mention she was a "stupid" woman, so she probably is well within her rights to make that statement, because based on what I have seen, people that dislike her and other female journalists usually aren't able to put together an argument that doesn't involve something like "f off ya stupid woman"!

Ruda Wakening
22nd May 2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Damien

I imagine that most hate mail she gets would mention she was a "stupid" woman, so she probably is well within her rights to make that statement, because based on what I have seen, people that dislike her and other female journalists usually aren't able to put together an argument that doesn't involve something like "f off ya stupid woman"!

Why is that other female sports journalists not only don't make serial spectacles of themselves, but earn professional respect by just getting on with it without turning their career into a soap opera?

If she wants to say things like Reg Reagan was to blame for Danny Williams king hitting Mark O'Neill, judge Trent Barrett for not attending the birth of his child despite his own wife supporting his decision, or publicly state that she will never attend another Canterbury Bulldogs game ever again because of rape allegations, even though she still attends Swans games and has managed very well not to vent her outrage over the MOL incident, then she is exactly what she's been accused of - a stupid woman, and one who accepts no responsibility and instead blames everybody else for her own demise.

Perhaps she could have had what she supposedly craves - credibility and the right to be treated as an equal in the 'macho' world of football. I doubt she really wants that though because then she really would be the same as many others.

ROK Lobster
23rd May 2006, 07:27 AM
Why is that other female sports journalists not only don't make serial spectacles of themselves, but earn professional respect by just getting on with it without turning their career into a soap opera? Soap opera sells soap, and other newspaper advertising. She is not a journalist, she is a product, and drama is part of the product. She does not want respect, she wants fame.

Tuesday
23rd May 2006, 01:40 PM
Lamenting the demise of AFL Love Match.
Meh :o

Agent 86
29th May 2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
Bit weird to see Wilson writing in an Adelaide paper though. Seriously stuggling for gig.
Spot on there. She just has a knack for p---ing people off.

And Swans supporters know all about biased sports-reporting, so I can empathise somewhat with the Crows on this one.