PDA

View Full Version : Willo fading

Sanecow
22nd May 2006, 11:59 AM
He's on his longest sub-20 possession streak since 1994 and giving away more frees than he's getting. Clearly fading. If you want to bag Shagger, you need to bag Willo as well.

sydneyswans1989
22nd May 2006, 12:04 PM
his 32, he can still run like the wind & gets kicks & takes marks. Yes this will be his last season of footy sadly but his still performing well even though he had a shocker against the dogs.

Akermanis is the perfect replacement for willo when he retires. ;)

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd May 2006, 12:32 PM
Thank goodness for ;)

NMWBloods
22nd May 2006, 12:59 PM
The days of 20+ possessions are pretty much past Willo.

Instead, as an impact player off the bench we should value from him for the rest of this season with possession in the teens.

TheHood
22nd May 2006, 01:12 PM
That centering kick that fell in the arms of a Bully was a bit poor. He made the off statement (before the 300th) that he reckons he hasn't lost his pace or his kicking power. I reckon that was way off the mark.

He's there for his presence and leadership and experience/team ethic when he doesn't have the ball.

We are lucky to have others younger and fitter that can absorb the stuff Willo used to do well.

In a poor Swans team, he'd be playing 2s.

However he's a gun and a favourite son and if he's given enough space, he can still be creative (so dumb team will not tag him and he'll punish them) and the balance is right with him in there.

Ruck'n'Roll
22nd May 2006, 01:26 PM
I wonder whether Roos would consider resting him as the Maggots have rested Buckley?

caj23
22nd May 2006, 02:41 PM
I reckon it would be a great move to rest him for a couple of times during the remainder of the season and giving games to schmidt and willoughby in those instances.

Both deserve a chance to debut and would ensure that willo is still fresh come september

gossipcom
22nd May 2006, 04:42 PM
Granted he's not the player he was when he came to the club, but heck he's older now so that has to be taken into account.

That being said his disposals on Saturday were his highest for the season so far (19 - since he had been averaging 14 till then). But still his effort in the 4th quarter when he had been on the field for only a few secs and rang down the right wing to kick it into BBBH was a gem. Of course BBBH missed, but we'll just forget that part ;)

BigBadBarryNo1
22nd May 2006, 08:04 PM
Willo would be one of the big reasons that the Swans would be craving to win the premiership for this year, as the rookie players on the outer edges are playing really too well to be ignored, and as a result it's likely to be his last year. He would make a great midfield coach though with his cool and calculated approach to the game..

I'd say that a player like Malceski would be a more than adequate enough replacement for him. Just need maybe a Bevan / Dempster to step up a notch for them to come good though.

To be honest, regardless of how many possessions he gets, playing a game is more than that - it's also about the knowledge of the plays, and how many circles you can run around on your opposite number. On this count, he still makes his plays very well, and his all-round knowledge around the ground, and his professionalism about it is something that many of the rookies don't have yet.

Gary
23rd May 2006, 04:28 PM
I don't think we should be greatly concerned about Willo (for this year)...he still seems to have the brain & enough speed to contribute...just not at the same level.
Frankly Malceski has a long way to go to be considered in the same sentence...I'm a fan at the moment but 3 / 5 years will tell us if he is anywhere near Williams, the consumate pro.

canetoad
24th May 2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Gary
I don't think we should be greatly concerned about Willo (for this year)...he still seems to have the brain & enough speed to contribute...just not at the same level.
Frankly Malceski has a long way to go to be considered in the same sentence...I'm a fan at the moment but 3 / 5 years will tell us if he is anywhere near Williams, the consumate pro.

The most informed comment on this thread. Of course Willo is slowing down but he has street savvy and a heap of football left in him. What is up with the posters on this board, they seem to want to pull everyone down. The boys have hit their straps and I cant see them losing too many this year. I cant see Adelaide, West Coast or Collingwood beating them in a Grand Final and they are the ones that count. Willo will be a major part of it.

Legs Akimbo
24th May 2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by canetoad
The most informed comment on this thread. Of course Willo is slowing down but he has street savvy and a heap of football left in him. What is up with the posters on this board, they seem to want to pull everyone down. The boys have hit their straps and I cant see them losing too many this year. I cant see Adelaide, West Coast or Collingwood beating them in a Grand Final and they are the ones that count. Willo will be a major part of it.

Cane Toad, do you have problems being run over, being frozen or used as a golf ball...

On topic, agreed, but I like the fact that Sydney Swans fans tend towards the pessimistic in their outlook. Hubris is an ugly thing.

goswannie14
24th May 2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
On topic, agreed, but I like the fact that Sydney Swans fans tend towards the pessimistic in their outlook. Hubris is an ugly thing. 72 years between premierships will do that to you.;)

canetoad
24th May 2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Cane Toad, do you have problems being run over, being frozen or used as a golf ball...

On topic, agreed, but I like the fact that Sydney Swans fans tend towards the pessimistic in their outlook. Hubris is an ugly thing.

I am unsure if pessimism is akin to stupidity or just plain thick as house bricks. So far I have read that Mick, Willo and a couple of others are on their last legs

Confucius say "Ths is load of Crap ":mad:

cruiser
24th May 2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
72 years between premierships will do that to you.;) Never again!!!

canetoad
24th May 2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Never again!!!

Agreed we are well on our way to back to back premierships.

cruiser
24th May 2006, 09:34 PM
Agreed we are well on our way to back to back premierships. Dont let NMW read you write that.

NMWBloods
24th May 2006, 09:48 PM
I wrote something similar, but I was more cautious! :)

I always think back to 2004 in the week leading up to the SF against St Kilda when half the people on RWO had already booked and were planning the trip to Adelaide the following week!! :eek:

Legs Akimbo
24th May 2006, 09:51 PM
I am unsure if pessimism is akin to stupidity or just plain thick as house bricks. So far I have read that Mick, Willo and a couple of others are on their last legs

Confucius say "Ths is load of Crap ":mad:

Toad, I agree that pensioning off our premiership heroes is in poor taste. However, saying we are going to win the premiership is complete @@@@ @ @@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@@@ @ @@@@@@@.

goswannie14
24th May 2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I always think back to 2004 in the week leading up to the SF against St Kilda when half the people on RWO had already booked and were planning the trip to Adelaide the following week!! :eek: Sounds a little like the St Kilda fans planning their GF week at 3/4 time at the 2005 PF.:D

Sanecow
25th May 2006, 11:26 AM
Of course Willo is slowing down but he has street savvy and a heap of football left in him.

Maxfield, Schauble 2005.

Ruck'n'Roll
25th May 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Maxfield, Schauble 2005.
It must be very difficult to know when it's over, Jason Ball did and he had a fantastic final year in 2005.

Go Swannies
25th May 2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
It must be very difficult to know when it's over, Jason Ball did and he had a fantastic final year in 2005.

Last year at the B&F Roos said that it was hard to tell if the past few weeks had been Premiership celebrations or the Jason Ball Farewell Tour.

Ruck'n'Roll
25th May 2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Last year at the B&F Roos said that it was hard to tell if the past few weeks had been Premiership celebrations or the Jason Ball Farewell Tour.

I wish I could find that picture of Jason when he put the premiership cup on his head.

S.U.D
25th May 2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Never again!!!

You're right, none of us on here would be around to count that far.

goswannie14
25th May 2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by S.U.D
You're right, none of us on here would be around to count that far. I will be if I can live to 115.:p

Gary
25th May 2006, 05:59 PM
Any comparison between Willo this year & Maxfield / Schauble last year is way off the mark.
Maxfield was struggling against debilitating injury & even his tremendous will could not overcome. Thanks for trying Stewie.
Schauble was an honest / slow / likeable player & a better man at both Collingwood & Sydney. Somehow managed a B&F with which he would be very happy as he probably is with the career he had. Before 05 he was a reliable spare part, & never going to be part of our best team in 05. Well done.
On the other hand Willo can still contribute to another premiership if he is managed well.

Sanecow
27th May 2006, 09:20 PM
Fantastic run up the boundary in the first quarter before a brain fart and awesome grubber kick to nobody in the second quarter. If he was Mathews or LRT you idiots would be all over him like a bad shirt.

Matt79
27th May 2006, 11:41 PM
Willo had a super game tonight, plenty of run and drive...great work old man!!

Ajn
28th May 2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Matt79
Willo had a super game tonight, plenty of run and drive...great work old man!!

Time to get off his back...please delete this thread and talk him up. He is in his final year and deserves his spot!

gossipcom
28th May 2006, 01:40 AM
23 possessions (3rd highest out of the swans) - love this stat 4 Free Kicks Given 1 against (usually it's the opposite) :) Now I have to catch this damn match on the replay.

madswan
28th May 2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by gossipcom
23 possessions (3rd highest out of the swans) - love this stat 4 Free Kicks Given 1 against (usually it's the opposite) :) Now I have to catch this damn match on the replay.
I am a huge fan of Willos and have followed his career,just for the record are you related to him as you seem to always come to his defence? By the way, way to go,the way he defended LRT was fantastic!

gossipcom
28th May 2006, 03:27 AM
Nope not related to him, just a fan like the others. I call him out when he makes mistakes like the others (haven't seen tonight's match so will be looking forward to watching it in the morning).

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Ajn
Time to get off his back...please delete this thread and talk him up. He is in his final year and deserves his spot! Is he in his final year? From what he showed last night, he might just have another season in those legs.:D

Matt79
28th May 2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ajn
Time to get off his back...please delete this thread and talk him up. He is in his final year and deserves his spot!

Did you read my post correctly...I was talking him up, he is a champ and an important part of our side...but he is still an 'old man' in footy sense!!

cruiser
28th May 2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Schauble was an honest / slow / likeable player & a better man at both Collingwood & Sydney. Somehow managed a B&F with which he would be very happy as he probably is with the career he had. Before 05 he was a reliable spare part, & never going to be part of our best team in 05. I'm bristling - them fighting words! Stella!

Nico
28th May 2006, 03:43 PM
Fantastic run up the boundary in the first quarter before a brain fart and awesome grubber kick to nobody in the second quarter. If he was Mathews or LRT you idiots would be all over him like a bad shirt.

Difference is Willo redeemed himself with a top effort for the rest of the game.

The only similarity between the 2 is they both wear the same jumper.

Also the saying is "like a bad suit".

Sanecow
28th May 2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Nico

The only similarity between the 2 is they both wear the same jumper.

The biff and ripped shirt nonsense served to emphasize the similarity with other players on the decline.

Also the saying is "like a bad suit".

"Cheap suit" is actually more common. Bad shirt, bad suit or bad rash are all logical though.

ScottH
28th May 2006, 08:26 PM
Fantastic run up the boundary in the first quarter before a brain fart and awesome grubber kick to nobody in the second quarter. If he was Mathews or LRT you idiots would be all over him like a bad shirt. It was pretty ordinary, but then Goodes first two possessions were clangers. He had atleast 2 kicks smothered and went on 2 be BOG.

Willo looked much more dangerous when he did his incredible hulk routine.

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
It was pretty ordinary, but then Goodes first two possessions were clangers. He had atleast 2 kicks smothered and went on 2 be BOG.

Willo looked much more dangerous when he did his incredible hulk routine. After his first 2 touches I thought OH No, Goodesy is off the boil tonight. How wrong I was.:D

ScottH
28th May 2006, 08:57 PM
After his first 2 touches I thought OH No, Goodesy is off the boil tonight. How wrong I was.:D How good was he when he whipped the ball out of the D50 with a heap of players converging on the loose ball, he picked it up and spun out on trouble and ran off with it.

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 08:58 PM
How good was he when he whipped the ball out of the D50 with a heap of players converging on the loose ball, he picked it up and spun out on trouble and ran off with it. Yeah it was great...we were at the other end and the crowd went nuts about it.:D

NMWBloods
28th May 2006, 09:02 PM
How good was he when he whipped the ball out of the D50 with a heap of players converging on the loose ball, he picked it up and spun out on trouble and ran off with it. Looked great, but the spin was really not necessary.

ScottH
28th May 2006, 09:06 PM
Looked great, but the spin was really not necessary. Of course it was, he would of been mortal otherwise, and tackled.

NMWBloods
28th May 2006, 09:10 PM
He was relatively clear of Hawthorn players who were standing flat footed, and he could just as easily run directly away in the same direction.

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 09:13 PM
He was relatively clear of Hawthorn players who were standing flat footed, and he could just as easily run directly away in the same direction. Don't be a wet blanket.:p

ScottH
28th May 2006, 09:14 PM
Don't be a wet blanket.:p I concur!!

From my distant view it looked spectacular and warranted!!!

Big Al
28th May 2006, 09:16 PM
I concur!!

From my distant view it looked spectacular and warranted!!!

Pretty good on the tele too.

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 09:17 PM
I concur!!

From my distant view it looked spectacular and warranted!!! Yep, from the Ponsford stand it looked like he was in the midst of the pack and did the blind turn, who cares whether it was needed or not, it's what people want to see...the spectacular.;)

NMWBloods
28th May 2006, 09:21 PM
I thought people just wanted to see the 4 points and who cares how... ;)

We had a great view from our seats - Punt Rd end on the flank, and at the time I said, that looked great and everyone will rave about it, but he just didn't need to do it.

ScottH
28th May 2006, 09:27 PM
I thought people just wanted to see the 4 points and who cares how... ;)

We had a great view from our seats - Punt Rd end on the flank, and at the time I said, that looked great and everyone will rave about it, but he just didn't need to do it. :rollseyes: ;)

Almost as spectacular as LRT's dives!!

Nico
28th May 2006, 09:57 PM
Play of the day was Buchanan's steal in the first Q for a goal. Steal of the year so far.

elroy67
28th May 2006, 10:06 PM
Play of the day was Buchanan's steal in the first Q for a goal. Steal of the year so far.

Play of the day was Davo's cunningly mistimed tackle which allowed him sag behind play and be in perfect position to swoop on Guerra's clanger and goal!!

Oh, and to remain on topic...

Willo was good....not sure about the 'tank top' look though....

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by elroy67
Play of the day was Davo's cunningly mistimed tackle which allowed him sag behind play and be in perfect position to swoop on Guerra's clanger and goal!! I thought that was the play of the day too. But I did like Buchanan's. Particularly the look around in disbelief that no-one was chasing him, then "oh well I had better kick it then".:D

Sanecow
28th May 2006, 10:14 PM
Game day thread for that crap people. Stay on-topic.