Go Swannies
25th May 2006, 10:59 PM
HAWTHORN vs SYDNEY
#16- Matthew Head (VIC),
#23- Martin Ellis (VIC),
#25- Shaun Ryan (VIC)

treespirit
28th May 2006, 10:24 AM
I thought we actually had the better of the umpires last night.

goswannie14
28th May 2006, 10:46 AM
We had a couple of more free kicks than them, but both sides supporters (me included) were having a go at them, that usually means that they have got it just about right.

But the umpires really need to learn with hoilding the ball, what "prior opportunity" means. A few times, both ways a player was pinged for holding the ball, when they had no prior opportunity what so ever.:confused:

Jeffers1984
28th May 2006, 11:42 AM
Were my eyes deceiving me or was there a stat pop up in the 3rd quarter that said we had the last 5 free kicks?!

Mike_B
28th May 2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Were my eyes deceiving me or was there a stat pop up in the 3rd quarter that said we had the last 5 free kicks?!

You saw correctly Jeff.

NMWBloods
28th May 2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
But the umpires really need to learn with hoilding the ball, what "prior opportunity" means. A few times, both ways a player was pinged for holding the ball, when they had no prior opportunity what so ever.:confused: This rule has become silly now. Both sides were pinged with some ridiculous HTB decisions.

timbo
28th May 2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah the holding the ball decisions were pretty ordinary, but importanty they were consistent.

The one mickey o got on joel smith was a bit ordinary as he was clearly holding the ball in and then it did pop out.

There were also two times in the second half when croad and soull both got slung to the ground and had prior opporunity but were given too much time to get rid of it, while in the first quarter roberts thompson got pinged for the same.

Slick Swans
28th May 2006, 02:59 PM
I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad, unbiased, which is the main thing. But the holding the ball decisions were pathetic all night, Luke Ablett barely touched the thing before he was caught and penalised.

giant
28th May 2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
This rule has become silly now. Both sides were pinged with some ridiculous HTB decisions.

Absolutely agree!!! If they were in fact the correct interpretation then that is very bad news for the game. In all cases, the bloke making the play & most desperate for the footy was murdered by the player standing off.

stellation
28th May 2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad, unbiased, which is the main thing. But the holding the ball decisions were pathetic all night, Luke Ablett barely touched the thing before he was caught and penalised.
Prompting the query (I believe from Alistair Lynch?) "who'd want to chase a loose footy?"*.

*Probably nowhere near what was actually said, but the sentiment is the same.

Sanecow
28th May 2006, 06:47 PM
Hawks were pretty badly done by this week, IMHO.

ScottH
28th May 2006, 08:28 PM
I never knew that the umps carried a spare whistle in a little sack sewn in the front of their shorts. I guess it keeps it warm.

SimonH
28th May 2006, 11:04 PM
Poor umpiring. The mystifying HTB decisions appeared to be based on how loudly the fans were yelling for HTB as much as anything. Also, inconsistency regarding when carrying a player forward in the tackle amounts to a push in the back. Plus my pet hate: frees for ruck infringements, for doing exactly what every ruckman does at every ball-up, merely because the opposition ruckman throws himself forward/to the ground.

That said, the poor decisions favoured Sydney more than the Hawks. A particularly blatant push-in-the-back not paid against MOL led to a Sydney goal in the 3rd.

SMFC
29th May 2006, 02:05 AM
I would've said that hit on Barry Hall that knocked the stuffing out of him was a charge.

Let's imagine Hall made the same hit on some poor player, something like that hack Maguire.... 3 weeks for an early plea?

mocaholic
29th May 2006, 12:19 PM
Caught up with my Hawk mate at half time (couple of good wins in the tab in M8, too, btw) and he was in agreement that up until then the Hawks had had a very kind run with the men in light lime green.

Evened out later but they weren't flash all night. Couple of those 50's were dodgy...perhaps that's the new rule but there's got to be a contest!

NMWBloods
29th May 2006, 12:38 PM
The 50m that J Bolton received and kicked a goal was a joke.

THERBS
29th May 2006, 01:37 PM
The umpires will always be maggots. They get it wrong too many times as was shown again on Saturday night. I can't blame Hawks fans for being irate.

Then again, we won! And did it in dominant fashion! It was sad to see Malceski go off the field with a hammy problem. He's a future Brownlow contender.

goswannie14
29th May 2006, 04:38 PM
The 50m that J Bolton received and kicked a goal was a joke. I can recall two 50's from the other night. One was right in front of us when Goodes went to kick the ball, slipped and the Hawks player came over the mark. Instant 50m penalty. Goodes didn't run off the line, was about to run straight ahead to kick the ball, when he slipped, the umpire didn't call play on so it was 50.

The other may have been the Bolton one, I just remember it was a Swans player and it was at the far end of the ground to the Ponsford stand. The Hawks guy wasn't in the marking contest, ran in late then threw the Swans player to the ground, again, it is an instant 50m penalty.

NMWBloods
29th May 2006, 05:06 PM
That was the Bolton one. It's tough to say he wasn't in the marking contest when he grabbed Bolton a split second after Bolton marked it.

goswannie14
29th May 2006, 05:14 PM
I was there with a mate who is not a Swans supporter, he reckoned the Hawks guy wasn't in the contest. I tended to agree, but thought that if he had only grabbed Bolts it would have been okay, but to throw him to the ground was just stupid.

NMWBloods
29th May 2006, 05:30 PM
Possibly, but given what else they let go it seemed a bit harsh.

goswannie14
29th May 2006, 05:31 PM
Possibly, but given what else they let go it seemed a bit harsh. Do you mean things like Crawford sitting on top of Tadhg and laying punches into him?

NMWBloods
29th May 2006, 06:08 PM
Firstly, I was talking about 50m penalties.

And secondly, a free was paid for that.