PDA

View Full Version : Geelong goooone

hammo
27th May 2006, 06:17 PM
I can't see Geelong coming back now. What a woeful performance against Richmond when they had everything to play for.

punter257
27th May 2006, 09:28 PM
they are in a world of pain this week........

573v30
27th May 2006, 11:25 PM
Well Sam Newman better keep to his promise he made on Thursday night. Next month will be a challenge for them:

Eagles at Skilled (they mauled them last time but the Cats are playing real crap footy)
Essendon at Telstra Dome (winnable...)
Fremantle at Subi (little chance winning)
Adelaide at AAMI (expect a 100+ point thrashing by the Crows) :D

nomae
28th May 2006, 12:18 PM
geelong are really suffering from a lack of a real good tall forward- chapman and ablett are great but small forwards can only do so much.
kingsley is the most overrated player in the comp for mine :D
and ottens is only good in the ruck.

cruiser
28th May 2006, 03:39 PM
Its the curse of winning the pre-season cup.

573v30
28th May 2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Its the curse of winning the pre-season cup. That's why I'm glad Sydney didn't win it... :D

Lucky Knickers
28th May 2006, 10:38 PM
They look a completely different side to the one that showed up at the SCG on Sep 9th! It's hard to fathom how completely they have crashed.

SimonH
29th May 2006, 01:01 AM
I may have to reconsider my established line, 'They'll be back', with Geelong. They have a tough draw, so it's hard to see them topping 11 wins from here even if they significantly step up their performance and upset a few established top-8 sides.

Thompson has produced good performances from less-talented Geelong sides than this one in the past; the biggest thing in their favour is that they have such moderate competition for the (notional) last spot in the 8.

But it's just hard to produce the requisite number of wins for them. Not only will they need to beat the Dons and surprise one of Adelaide, Freo and WCE in the next 4 weeks to get to 5-8: even if you gift them Carlton (R14), Port at home (R15) and Hawthorn (R22), they'll still need to beat 4 out of the Dogs, Roos in Canberra, Brisbane at Gabba, St Kilda, Sydney and Melbourne, to make 12 wins. Seems beyond them unless they hit top form and stay there.

The number of truly poor teams that are (and will be) sitting around the 9-12 positions on the ladder, may be Geelong's saviour. This year could well be the first time for a while that 11 wins will be enough to make the 8.

SMFC
29th May 2006, 02:45 AM
Handbaggers.

NMWBloods
29th May 2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SimonH
This year could well be the first time for a while that 11 wins will be enough to make the 8. Last year, 11.5 wins and 11 wins in 2002.

RogueSwan
29th May 2006, 04:40 PM
I didn't think the Cats were that awful. The Tigers actually played decent footy.
Though if the Cats really want to play into September they have to be near unbeatable at home. I don't think Kardinia actually holds any fears for opposition teams now.
So much for Otens being the saviour forward the cats were after. :p
The Cats should have listened to the commentators and tried Ablett one out in the goals, the kid is seriously threatening around the goals.

giant
29th May 2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
So much for Otens being the saviour forward the cats were after. :p

Not to mention the saviour ruckman we were after...

SMFC
30th May 2006, 04:26 AM
Chambers is better value than Ottens. AND he doesn't go tampering with his new teammate's chick n getting a clip as a result. Nice one, Brad O.

Destructive
1st June 2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by 573v30
That's why I'm glad Sydney didn't win it... :D

I'm very happy Sydney just treats that as a chance to have a look at the young players.