PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Swans in Germany

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st May 2006, 04:03 PM
Hi gang,
Am flying over to the World Cup in Germany in a couple of days. As much as I'll be supporting the Socceroos & taking a massive interest in the World Cup I'd love to be able to stay in contact with the happening in the AFL & hopefully at least get to see highlights of the Swans matches whilst I'm over there.

Is AFL Football on Deutscher Sport Fernsehen these days? Are there Aussie themed bars where you can watch matches at all? Is it on BSkay in Irish Pub maybe?

Anyone know the goss on how I can keep in touch with things whilst in Germany? The website www.aflg.de doesn't seem to help that much.

JF

PS:- "Auf geht's Schw?nen, schie?t ein Tor, schie?t ein Tor, schie?t ein Tor"

swantastic
31st May 2006, 04:11 PM
lucky bugger any room in suit case for fellow swans supporter

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st May 2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
lucky bugger any room in suit case for fellow swans supporter

No, only Socceroos Ultras, Kurvensteher, tifosi & banieristi allowed mate!

(nOOb futbol-virgin fans insisting on SITTING all match and wrecking the singing are not really horribly welcome in these parts-MCG Socceroos matches are nightmare for this very reason! :o :mad: )

JF

swantastic
31st May 2006, 04:54 PM
not a football virgin played state league for 12 years and i am a fan of NEDERLANDSCHE VOETBAL because of my heritage.

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st May 2006, 05:13 PM
not a football virgin played state league for 12 years and i am a fan of NEDERLANDSCHE VOETBAL because of my heritage.

Leuk!

JF

hammo
31st May 2006, 05:26 PM
JF,

You lucky bastard!! Have a great time. I can't help you with an AFL venue though. When I was in Munchen in 2004 the best I could do was an internet cafe.

Frog
31st May 2006, 05:31 PM

Then at least spell it right ... the SCH went out with feather quills and Indian ink.

stellation
31st May 2006, 05:34 PM
Who ate all the currywurst? JF ate all the currywurst!

Glenn
31st May 2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Hi gang,
Am flying over to the World Cup in Germany in a couple of days. As much as I'll be supporting the Socceroos & taking a massive interest in the World Cup I'd love to be able to stay in contact with the happening in the AFL & hopefully at least get to see highlights of the Swans matches whilst I'm over there.

Is AFL Football on Deutscher Sport Fernsehen these days? Are there Aussie themed bars where you can watch matches at all? Is it on BSkay in Irish Pub maybe?

Anyone know the goss on how I can keep in touch with things whilst in Germany? The website www.aflg.de doesn't seem to help that much.

JF

PS:- "Auf geht's Schw?nen, schie?t ein Tor, schie?t ein Tor, schie?t ein Tor"

Sure you will have a great time at the WC, just did a bit of google searching and maybe this might help

http://www.expatica.com/source/forum_thread.asp?channel_id=2&thread_id=29169

satchmopugdog
31st May 2006, 08:27 PM
Have a good trip JF. Even I have got excited about Soccer after being in Europe (as there was nothing else to watch on the TV and I didn't need to understand the commentary)

goswannie14
31st May 2006, 08:52 PM
That's what I really call an away game.

Have a great trip JF, see you when you get back.;)

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st May 2006, 10:38 PM
I'm taking a 10 foot flag over to Europe with me. I'll be doing my darndest to get it into Stadion de Kuip in Rotterdam. The game comes through here at about 1030pm on Sunday, so see if you can stay up for it.

Even if I don't get into any of the World Cup matches, Sunday will be worth the trip alone. Van Nistelrooy, Cocu,Stam, Van Persie, some of the best attacking players in the world. To win against this lot will be just amazing. But just to be there playing against them is good enough. Aussie Guus will get his boys fired up; a surprise is on the cards I think.

a guy on www.theworldgame.com.au forum summed it up like this

should be a schpectacular shetting for the dutch schupercoach to tesht hish witsh againscht the young apprentische and hopefully we shee a contesht with plenty of attacking play and no injuriesh to either shide. as for the shcorline i'd shay sheven - shix to tired jokesh and 2-1 to the dutch with goalsh from shuper-shtriker aloishi and perhaps van pershie and robben for the boysh in oranje.

JF

GoSouth33
31st May 2006, 10:55 PM
Geez, you're keen JF. And you haven't secured any World Cup tickets yet! My son is going to the Germany v Poland, Australia v Brazil and Australia v Croatia matches. He's paid thousands all up for his tickets but it doesn't seem to be worrying him too much....just whack it on the credit card.....aaarrrghhh.
Have a great time...hope you manage to see some live action.

ROK Lobster
31st May 2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by GoSouth33
hope you manage to see some live action. Whoah, what are you insinuating?

This thread is in the wrong forum. Since we don't have a JF Travel with a 10 foot flag Forum I suggest Sport, seeing as it is indirectly related to soccer.

j s
1st June 2006, 12:12 AM
Hi gang, Shouldn't that be "ausgang"? And why do Aussies always get pointed towards the exit?

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st June 2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Who ate all the currywurst? JF ate all the currywurst!

Wait till I get started on the 'Schweinehaxen' mate!

http://www.spatenusa.com/3_products/3_3_recipe_tip/index.htm

Man, Bavarian food! I simply cannot wait! :D

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st June 2006, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by j s
Shouldn't that be "ausgang"? And why do Aussies always get pointed towards the exit?

It gets even worse. At Oktoberfest you get drunken Aussie bogans walking into the toilets that say something like "Da men" on it. (Especially when the others say "HER ren" too) :o

JF :D

Xie Shan
1st June 2006, 02:04 AM
That's funny, I don't recall either 'Damen' or 'Herren' ever being separated with spaces. :p Though in Chinese, 'Da men' means 'big door' or 'main entrance'.

Maybe RWO needs a Bavarian food forum to go with the JF travel with a 10 foot flag forum! Good luck getting that on the plane, btw. :D

JF_Bay22_SCG
1st June 2006, 08:10 AM
My latest dilemma.

http://www.sydneyfc-unofficial.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=210545#210545

JF (indecisive Libran)

stellation
1st June 2006, 08:18 AM
Wait till I get started on the 'Schweinehaxen' mate!

http://www.spatenusa.com/3_products/3_3_recipe_tip/index.htm

Man, Bavarian food! I simply cannot wait! :D

JF
Have you been to the Bavarian Bier Cafe on York (or now Kent or Manly)? If ever there was a place to have a beer and a meal and walk out clutching your heart, that's it. It makes Lowenbrau Keller feel like a health food store.

tez
1st June 2006, 07:45 PM
Have a great time JF. See you at the SCG when you get
back.

penga
4th June 2006, 10:53 PM
The tickets aren't coming from Vidmar by any chance? ;) Get the bloody tickets, that experience will be priceless.

I'm uber-jealous!

When I was OS, I watched all the Swannies games (and listened to the Nick Davis' semi-final) in internet cafes. $42 or something for International Subscription to AFL.com.