Manuka Oval 1:10 PM Sun 4 June, 2006

PLAYERS
Backs: L. Barry T. Richards A. Schneider
Half Backs: T. Kennelly L. Roberts-Thomson C. Bolton
Centre: B. Mathews B. Kirk J. Crouch
Half Forwards: R. O'Keefe B. Hall A. Goodes
Forwards: N. Fosdike M. O'Loughlin J. Bolton
Followers: D. Jolly, L. Ablett, P. Williams
Interchange: P. Chambers, A. Buchanan, J. McVeigh, N. Davis, S. Dempster, T. Schmidt, L. Vogels

What a bench!

Ryan Bomford
1st June 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Rob-bloods
Sorry got confused...

Too many short blacks.

Nico
1st June 2006, 09:00 PM
Is the implication that having Mathews starting in the team before Buchanan and Davis that he is a better footballer than these 2 blokes. It's an insult.

You cant tell me that he is a more valuable player.

BigBadBarryNo1
1st June 2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Is the implication that having Mathews starting in the team before Buchanan and Davis that he is a better footballer than these 2 blokes. It's an insult.

Erh.. it's about the position that the players play in, and the game plan strategy, not the individual's form silly billy.. that's what makes our team.

Run out and explode with the best team on ground for the whole game we'll be stuffed with injuries for the season..

dendol
1st June 2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Nico

Roos reckons he is and theres no if or buts about it!

Whats interesting for me is that they've got Fosdike and Ablett ahead of Davis, even though Fozzy will probably start on the bench.

Nico
1st June 2006, 09:13 PM
The wing?

Spare me please. Davis and Buchy will do far more justice to the wing than "The Imposter".

Notice that BM has been forced out of the back half. He's got nowhere to go now.

Nico
1st June 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Roos reckons he is and theres no if or buts about it!

Whats interesting for me is that they've got Fosdike and Ablett ahead of Davis, even though Fozzy will probably start on the bench.

Fozzy is picked in the side so he must start on the ground.

ROK Lobster
1st June 2006, 09:14 PM
Davis may still have a hamstring niggle. I may be mistaken but isn't it easier to drop someone named in the interchange/emergencies list than one named in the starting 18?

ugg
1st June 2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Davis may still have a hamstring niggle. I may be mistaken but isn't it easier to drop someone named in the interchange/emergencies list than one named in the starting 18?

Need more whiteout?

I used to think so too but someone was dropped from the starting 18 last year (can't recall who) so the answer is no.

NMWBloods
1st June 2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBarryNo1
From my newsletter..

SYDNEY SWANS NEWS
Thursday 1 June 2006

NEXT MATCH
Kangaroos vs Sydney Swans
Manuka Oval 1:10 PM Sun 4 June, 2006

PLAYERS
Backs: L. Barry T. Richards A. Schneider
Half Backs: T. Kennelly L. Roberts-Thomson C. Bolton
Centre: B. Mathews B. Kirk J. Crouch
Half Forwards: R. O'Keefe B. Hall A. Goodes
Forwards: N. Fosdike M. O'Loughlin J. Bolton
Followers: D. Jolly, L. Ablett, P. Williams
Interchange: P. Chambers, A. Buchanan, J. McVeigh, N. Davis, S. Dempster, T. Schmidt, L. Vogels

What a bench! What a bizarre lineup!

Legs Akimbo
1st June 2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
What a bizarre lineup!

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

liz
1st June 2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster

I don't think that's the case, particularly when all that is named is the squad (which is all you have to do on a Thursday night for a Sunday game).

Regardless, the way teams have been dropping players at the last minute suggests you can do what you like. As I understand things, even if you drop a player minutes before the game starts you don't have to prove that he is injured. Not sure how this tallies with having to provide "final" team sheets 45 minutes before the game starts...

stellation
1st June 2006, 09:42 PM
I do think it is insulting to Buchanan and Davis to have them named on the bench considering they always start. Roos says that he doesn't think it is an issue and doesn't think much of the team lists, but I don't recall him being named on the bench too many times. I thought that all that they were doing with the team lists was just switching the names of the guys who have come in for the guys who have gone out.

ugg
1st June 2006, 09:57 PM
Who really cares, we all know the Swans bench when the game starts will be Chambers, Fosdike, Schneider and McVeigh. They could name Kirk as the ruckman and LRT on the ball for all I care. In fact, I remember looking at the Port Melbourne teamsheets when we were still affiliated with them and they had a LOT of fun with the named team.

Nico
1st June 2006, 09:58 PM
Maybe with the few changes they have had over the past year they are moving the chess pieces to amuse themselves.

TheMase
1st June 2006, 10:00 PM
I remember some time ago there was a comment for Roos that various members of staff throw a team together and it isn't all the often the team that lines up. So I would not take much notice of it.

Mike_B
1st June 2006, 10:18 PM
I believe the 18 named that aren't on the interchange are considered "certainties". But as far as who is named on Thursday in the 18, it has no bearing on the actual 18 that starts the game - that is according to team sheets lodged just before the game starts.

Thunder Shaker
1st June 2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
Sun Tzu's wisdom is as relevant today as it was 2500 years ago.

Originally posted by TheMase
I remember some time ago there was a comment for Roos that various members of staff throw a team together and it isn't all the often the team that lines up. So I would not take much notice of it.
I'm waiting for the day when they put Schneider as first ruck, Leo Barry as centre half forward, MOL as full back and Baz on the bench. I'ts only a matter of time before they are going to try it. It's not as if players play set positions anymore.

BigBadBarryNo1
1st June 2006, 10:51 PM
I'm glad they're putting Davis on the interchange so he can get more of a break with the workload he's had lately.

Good to identify that both him and Fossie tend to work well in spurts..

dendol
1st June 2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBarryNo1
I'm glad they're putting Davis on the interchange so he can get more of a break with the workload he's had lately.

:confused:

RogueSwan
1st June 2006, 11:06 PM
I think this team list just shows Roos' and his assistants have just as mu.ch trouble agreeing on a team as RWO.

Snowy
2nd June 2006, 12:12 AM
The 18 named in actual positions will be certain to play bar injury. In theory you can't replace one of them unless he's injured, i.e. he couldn't line up with the reserves. Anyone from the interchange bench though can line up with reserves or seniors without a medical clearance. I doubt it's easier to leave someone out who has a "niggle" if they're on the bench. Anyone can be left out for a legitimate injury. I think the players would all be privy to what's going on and wouldn't be insulted by being named on the bench in what's effectively a "paper" team.

Go Swannies
2nd June 2006, 12:15 AM
I really hope Schmidt gets a run this week so he's rewarded for effort.

SimonH
2nd June 2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
The 18 named in actual positions will be certain to play bar injury. In theory you can't replace one of them unless he's injured, i.e. he couldn't line up with the reserves. Anyone from the interchange bench though can line up with reserves or seniors without a medical clearance. I doubt it's easier to leave someone out who has a "niggle" if they're on the bench. Anyone can be left out for a legitimate injury. I think the players would all be privy to what's going on and wouldn't be insulted by being named on the bench in what's effectively a "paper" team. I'm not so sure if that's right. I'm happy to concede if you can point me to an AFL rule somewhere, but the fact that I've never heard of any team naming a Thursday night side with that rule in mind (or getting busted for a breach) leads me to doubt its existence.

Not that it makes any difference to Sydney. We tell players if they're dropped by Thursday night; the only people omitted after then are always for injury reasons. Hence, barring a previously unknown injury: Timmy waits another week for his debut.

NMWBloods
2nd June 2006, 12:21 AM
If they think the team sheets are rubbish (which they are) why not just list the players in alphabetical order, or in descending order of height, or age, or whatever...

liz
2nd June 2006, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by SimonH
Hence, barring a previously unknown injury: Timmy waits another week for his debut.

Unless they decide B2 needs another week. That's probably his best chance. Even then they might decide they need more height down back and give either Dempster or Vogels the nod instead.

ROK Lobster
2nd June 2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by liz
Unless they decide B2 needs another week. That's probably his best chance. Even then they might decide they need more height down back and give either Dempster or Vogels the nod instead. It has rained here most of yesterday and all night - that could be a plus for Schmidt. The other potential plus is his home ground advantage.

ItsAllGoodes
2nd June 2006, 08:51 AM
The 18 players named to take the ground do not HAVE to play.
The only 'rule' as such is that the 22 players that play should come from the 25 you name....if we all of a sudden played Spriggs this weekend we would be fined

Even that said...if we had a sudden injury to a ruckman, say at training tonight, you can inform the AFL that a different player has come into the 25

This is the reality of modern football...with Sunday and even Monday games many teams havent had their final training session yet

ROK Lobster
3rd June 2006, 08:32 AM
The selection shocks keep coming!

Sydney has made one change ahead of its round 10 clash. Craig Bolton comes in for the Swans after spending a week out with a hamstring strain and he replaces Nick Malceski who suffered a hamstring injury of his own in last week's 65-point win over Hawthorn. Luke Vogels, Tim Schmidt and Sean Dempster were all named in the extended squad published on Thursday, but have all dropped back to the emergency list.
From the AFL website