PDA

View Full Version : Would Dunks make it today?

Claret
6th June 2006, 12:53 PM
I was looking at my membership key-ring today at work with the number 06 on the back of it and it reminded me of one of our former champions.

It got me thinking, champion player that he was, would he be able to make it in today's high level possession style game with his kicking ability?

There's no question he had just about the best pair of hands in the 90's in the AFL but his kicking sometimes (ok, just about all the time) let him down.

swansrock4eva
6th June 2006, 01:12 PM
We've had this (or similar) discussion before. Dunks didn't kick often, and when he did it looked absolutely @@@@house, but he was mostly pretty accurate - able to hit a target, but just made the target work a bit harder than they would for the average drop punt.

Sanecow
6th June 2006, 01:14 PM
In: Dunkley, Out: Richards

ScottH
6th June 2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
In: Dunkley, Out: Richards I'd like to see that.

RogueSwan
6th June 2006, 01:26 PM
How quickly could he move from the goal square to the 50m line? If he could do this quickly then he would be a handy asset in the quick kick-ins with his great marking. He would then need someone flying by accepting the handpass and we would be in the F50 in seconds! :)
An active imagination is a wonderful thing.

midaro
6th June 2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Claret
It got me thinking, champion player that he was, would he be able to make it in today's high level possession style game with his kicking ability?

Dunkley's kicking always looked worse then it was.
LRT's kicking is just as bad and he seems to have 'made it'.

goswannie14
6th June 2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by midaro
LRT's kicking is just as bad and he seems to have 'made it'. But when Willo isn't playing none of the others seem to remember to run past him when he has a kick.

wheels27
6th June 2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by midaro
LRT's kicking is just as bad and he seems to have 'made it'.

Dunks would walk into any side, he was one of our best ever, probably the best grab I reckon I've seen (including Plugger, Capper & Hall) but I don't agree about his kicking, LRT can kick, and has put through a few nice shots on goal. This is a pretty good indicator kicking at a still target that won't move to make your kick seem more accurate. Remember Dunks having a shot from about 20 out straight in front, result............

OOF.

CureTheSane
6th June 2006, 02:17 PM
Dunkley nearly quit because he didn't feel he had what it took.

And his feelings were partly justified considering he was playing FOOTball.

He turned out to be a more than serviceable full back, but I doubt he would fit into our current style of play.

C-Train
6th June 2006, 02:17 PM
He would easily be able to take the 2nd ruck position!
he was a great player and still would be today!

NMWBloods
6th June 2006, 02:36 PM
I think Dunkley would still fit into our side.

There are still enough gorillas for him to stand against: Neitz, Gehrig, Lloyd, Lynch, Rocca, Thompson.

For other sides where there is no matchup, say the Bulldogs, just leave him out that week.

There is so much handballing in the backline, he'd just give it off straight away.

stellation
6th June 2006, 04:40 PM
Schauble > Dunkley.

wheels27
6th June 2006, 05:03 PM
Don't agree - love to have them both, though!

midaro
6th June 2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
But when Willo isn't playing none of the others seem to remember to run past him when he has a kick.
Exactly.
You would think there would be team rules regarding LRT handing off the ball--like for Dunkley.

midaro
6th June 2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by wheels27
...but I don't agree about his kicking, LRT can kick, and has put through a few nice shots on goal. This is a pretty good indicator kicking at a still target that won't move to make your kick seem more accurate. Remember Dunks having a shot from about 20 out straight in front, result............

OOF.
Mostly when I see LRT kick the ball, it's a forward spinning, mongrel punt.

...and I seem to remember that one day at the SCG, after the quarter time siren, Dunkley goaled from the point where the 50m and boundary lines converge.

However, neither are/were consistent. ;)

C-Train
6th June 2006, 06:40 PM
on a couple of my trips from tassie to the SCG to watch training I remember seeing dunkly and dyson standing on the 50m line on the boundary slotting them thru the middle one after another... I thought why cant he do that in a game...

as I recall his torps were as huge as kicketts!

swantastic
6th June 2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
In: Dunkley, Out: Richards what about .rod"tilt"carter

tantrum
7th June 2006, 01:31 AM
I would definitely include Dunks in the side. I agree with wheels27 - one of our best. Maybe I'm biased - he was my favourite player for several years, but he would be worth several Ted Richardses to my thinking.

Best marking backman I have seen.