View Full Version : Injury List After Round 10

Jeffers1984
6th June 2006, 06:27 PM
PLAYER INJURY STATUS
Paul Williams Calf Test
Stephen Doyle Hamstring Test
Andrew Ericksen Shoulder 1 week
Nick Malceski Hamstring 2 weeks

I wonder if Willo will get up for the Saints game or do we rest him again so he can be much fresher for Collingwood?

Matt79
6th June 2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984

I wonder if Willo will get up for the Saints game or do we rest him again so he can be much fresher for Collingwood?

I'd say rest him so he can have a full 3 weeks off with the split round.

With Hayes and Thompson missing for the Saints it may be as good a chance to rest him as we could ask for.

hammo
6th June 2006, 07:15 PM
IN: Williams
OUT: Mathews

Legs Akimbo
6th June 2006, 07:44 PM
Check out our injury list compared to other teams' list. Given our good run last year, either phenomenal luck or phenomenal management by the swans. I know this has been commented before in other threads, but I just think it is a wonderful thing. Not sure if Moore, Schmidt, Vogels et al agree though.

Pommie Swannie
6th June 2006, 08:21 PM
So Doyle's almost back to fitness?

Who wants to have a guess how long it is between being passed fit, and being back on the injury list? :confused:

ScottH
6th June 2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Pommie Swannie
So Doyle's almost back to fitness? It's not an fitness list, so probably not quite yet.

Originally posted by Pommie Swannie
Who wants to have a guess how long it is between being passed fit, and being back on the injury list? :confused: 2 games.

midaro
6th June 2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
PLAYER INJURY STATUS
Stephen Doyle Hamstring Test
Andrew Ericksen Shoulder 1 week

First one fit gets to play seniors?

Pommie Swannie
6th June 2006, 08:46 PM
Step up Mr Ericksen!

sydneyswans1989
6th June 2006, 10:20 PM
I hope Doyle gets fit real soon & makes a push into the senior side because chambers in the side is going beyond the joke, one day he will do something so stupid & lose the game for us, i can see it coming. C'mon Doyle! Please save us all!!

Carolyn
6th June 2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
I hope Doyle gets fit real soon & makes a push into the senior side because chambers in the side is going beyond the joke, one day he will do something so stupid & lose the game for us, i can see it coming. C'mon Doyle! Please save us all!! You'd never know... Maybe, Chambers will win the game for us one day...

royboy42
6th June 2006, 10:33 PM
Doc Nathan Gibbs and his fitness team deserve heaps of praise I reckon. And i also believe Roosy's hold back in the pre season strategy is looking awesome..look at Saints and Cats, pre season prems last two years and full of injuries and loss of fitness and form by mid season!

sydneyswans1989
6th June 2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn
You'd never know... Maybe, Chambers will win the game for us one day...

Are you trying to say that Togo is going to win the world cup?

Carolyn
6th June 2006, 10:48 PM
Are you trying to say that Togo is going to win the world cup? I don't think Chambers rucking ability would do much good for the Socceroos..

sydneyswans1989
6th June 2006, 11:03 PM
chambers just dosent have any rucking ability :p

Refried Noodle
6th June 2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
I'd say rest him so he can have a full 3 weeks off with the split round.

With Hayes and Thompson missing for the Saints it may be as good a chance to rest him as we could ask for.

If he's fit, they he should play. If he's not then let him recover.

I don't like any mention of resting players in AFL. It's arrogant as well. Look what St Kilda did with Hamill in the Prelim last year.

Should name him if he's fit - go in for the kill, don't keep players from playing for what we think are bigger games. Shows no respect to our opposition.

elroy67
7th June 2006, 12:23 AM
Are you trying to say that Togo is going to win the world cup?

Togo is my second team. Should we be beaten by Japan first up, I'm going to make a start on those bandwagon instructions I downloaded from the internet.

Danzar
7th June 2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Check out our injury list compared to other teams' list. Given our good run last year, either phenomenal luck or phenomenal management by the swans. I know this has been commented before in other threads, but I just think it is a wonderful thing. Not sure if Moore, Schmidt, Vogels et al agree though.

Good point. Here's something I dug up. From the Sydney Rag MX. Ben Matthews does a column each week.

EDIT: Whoops. Just posted a media article. Will dig up a link shortly.

NMWBloods
7th June 2006, 02:41 PM
There's no doubt that the Swans have done a remarkable job at managing injuries, which has reduced the incidence of soft tissue problems. However, equally, we've been very lucky to avoid major injuries, which the best preparation and medical teams in the world cannot prevent.

Danzar
7th June 2006, 02:51 PM
They emailed me the article, so I can't post a link.

Here's a quote from the key passage. Source: Mx. News Ltd.

Ben Matthews is basically saying that their relatively injury-free run is not sheer luck.

Matthews says:

"We take an extremely scientific approach to training, which basically involves predicting when a soft tissue injury is most likely to occur.
"Every time a player trains be it a weights session, skills or fitness we are given a points rating based on the impact on our bodies.
"That rating is then entered into a computer and can differ for each player depending on their body shape.
"The points accumulate and at the end of the week the fitness staff assess the total.
"If a player tops a certain figure then the chances of injury are greatly increased, so if you overload at training you might be given a day to rest or a session off."

So, there you have it. If you want evidence, says Matthews, look at the types of injuries they have (when they do get them) - hammys, which plagues any club. I guess he feels that they cannot be predicted and puts it down to the game's pace.

I kinda agree with NMW Bloods. It's so easy to cop a dodgy tackle and twist that knee. Break a finger, etc etc. That's the luck of the die.

But their management must help. I still wonder whether the Swans style of play actually helps reduce injury. Any theories?

Cheers,
DAN

Legs Akimbo
7th June 2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Danzar

Ben Matthews is basically saying that their relatively injury-free run is not sheer luck.

Matthews says:

"We take an extremely scientific approach to training, which basically involves predicting when a soft tissue injury is most likely to occur.
"Every time a player trains be it a weights session, skills or fitness we are given a points rating based on the impact on our bodies.
"That rating is then entered into a computer and can differ for each player depending on their body shape.
"The points accumulate and at the end of the week the fitness staff assess the total.
"If a player tops a certain figure then the chances of injury are greatly increased, so if you overload at training you might be given a day to rest or a session off."

So, there you have it. If you want evidence, says Matthews, look at the types of injuries they have (when they do get them) - hammys, which plagues any club. I guess he feels that they cannot be predicted and puts it down to the game's pace.

I kinda agree with NMW Bloods. It's so easy to cop a dodgy tackle and twist that knee. Break a finger, etc etc. That's the luck of the die.

But their management must help. I still wonder whether the Swans style of play actually helps reduce injury. Any theories?

Cheers,
DAN

Agreed that injuries from collisions etc. are difficult to avoid, but I wonder about other things like the methods we use to tackle. We are well known as a strong tackling club and I recall we have received tackling training from league teams. Do we do it in a 'safer' way?

It also seems to me our guys will tend to go the tackle in favour of the bump. Wonder if there is anything in that. I would think the probability of sustaining an injury in a collision is higher than a tackle, irrespecting if you are dishing it out or on the receiving end.

Anyway, just happy we have a short injury list.

TheMase
7th June 2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Danzar

Matthews says:

Probably partly explains why Williams missed last week.