PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead...

sydneyswans1989
6th June 2006, 10:41 PM
I was thinking today about trade week, now i know its not for awhile but I can't stand the thoughts of Chambers being at Sydney so then i was thinking about ruckman. One man came to mind, Michael Gardiner hasn't played a senior game this year because of the good form of Big Cox & Seaby in the ruck.

Would'nt ya think the swans would have a good look at him & the eagles might be up for a trade, also remember his only 26 & still has alot of footy to play.

Ryan Bomford
6th June 2006, 10:52 PM
Gardiner, at the SWANS, are you kidding?

Is there a way we can trade posters off this site?

Nico
6th June 2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
I was thinking today about trade week, now i know its not for awhile but I can't stand the thoughts of Chambers being at Sydney so then i was thinking about ruckman. One man came to mind, Michael Gardiner hasn't played a senior game this year because of the good form of Big Cox & Seaby in the ruck.

Would'nt ya think the swans would have a good look at him & the eagles might be up for a trade, also remember his only 26 & still has alot of footy to play.

Would fit in well with the Sydney mafia.

sydneyswans1989
6th June 2006, 11:01 PM
think of him as a FOOTBALL PLAYER, not his personal life.

Matt79
6th June 2006, 11:04 PM
think of him as a FOOTBALL PLAYER, not his personal life.

Has not been on the field much to rate him as a player in recent times. I will stick with Chambers over Gardnier thanks.

liz
6th June 2006, 11:05 PM
Michael Gardiner hasn't played a senior game this year because of the good form of Big Cox & Seaby in the ruck.

Gardiner hasn't played a senior game this year because

a) he was banished by his club for refusing to curb his nightlife
b) he was suspended by the WAFL
c) he got himself injured.

Gardiner used to be a magnificent player but I doubt he'll ever get the most out of himself (partly due to bad luck with injuries) and I think we've probably seen the best of him.

DST
6th June 2006, 11:15 PM

Nothing to see here move along........................

If we are going to trade for a ruckman at years end then it will be Spider as an un contracted player in the pre season draft.

DST
:D

ugg
6th June 2006, 11:22 PM
Plus he hasn't rucked in god knows how long.

swantastic
6th June 2006, 11:28 PM

Would'nt ya think the swans would have a good look at him & the eagles might be up for a trade, also remember his only 26 & still has alot of footy to play. get off the drugs,better the devil you no. "just here to help"

bloodboy
6th June 2006, 11:32 PM
We do have a good track record in making footy's "bad boys" come good up in Sydney - I can think of two such very recent cases. But Michael Gardiner...I strongly doubt he will ever be up to it again. He is a toatally different sort of bad boy to both Bazz and Plugger and I doubt that anyone would be able to settle the bloke down. I agree that we need a good ruckman, but we don't need to go for blokes who are in the bargain basement for good reason.

robbieando
6th June 2006, 11:36 PM

God, haven't you watched a tape of the Grand Final yet??? There was a reason why Gardiner stayed at Full Forward all day and it wasn't because it was his "set position for the day and the Eagles were going to stick to the plan come hell or high water", it was because he CAN'T ruck anymore because his knees went at the same time Goodes' knees went and that made him useless at the position. He is no better than a pinch hit option for 5 minutes in a match thats all.

The Boot
6th June 2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
God, haven't you watched a tape of the Grand Final yet??? There was a reason why Gardiner stayed at Full Forward all day and it wasn't because it was his "set position for the day and the Eagles were going to stick to the plan come hell or high water", it was because he CAN'T ruck anymore because his knees went at the same time Goodes' knees went and that made him useless at the position. He is no better than a pinch hit option for 5 minutes in a match thats all.
The Eagles picking Gardiner over Quinten Lynch was a mistake that we will forever thank them for ...

robbieando
7th June 2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by The Boot
The Eagles picking Gardiner over Quinten Lynch was a mistake that we will forever thank them for ...

allowed us to free up Leo Barry for that mark and allowed up to use LRT on Hansen at CHB to great effect as we saw. I certainly agree it was a very big stuff up on the Eagles part.

573v30
7th June 2006, 12:07 AM
It's a bit too late for the Eagles, they lost the Grand Final and only had themselves to blame. As for Michael Gardiner, I don't think any AFL team would even bother giving him an opportunity to play at that level. Michael Embley would probably be elevated from the Rookie list if the Eagles are desperate...

midaro
7th June 2006, 12:30 AM
Looking ahead...
No @@@@heads.

TheHood
7th June 2006, 08:43 AM
Great player at his brief peak, but injuries alone would make him unattractive.

All the rest mentioned above means he won't get a chance to prove us wrong, if indeed he's even interested in such a possibility.

I reckon Shane Wowoedon has a better shot at it in 2007 than Gardy.

giant
7th June 2006, 11:59 AM
Can't see why not - even better, Gardiner plus Polak from Freo as a joint deal.

Sanecow
7th June 2006, 12:16 PM
Gardiner's WAFL hitout stats aren't exactly mind blowing, so I would pass.

sydneyswans1989
7th June 2006, 01:37 PM

Actually he was playing with an injury, the eagles were very deperate for some talls up forward. Gardiner would be well worth it but i guess chambers is that much of a champion.

robbieando
7th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Actually he was playing with an injury

The same injury that he played with during the last half of 2003, when he went from all but being All Australian ruckman in waiting to "just" making the bench and seeing the spot go to Goodes. The same injury that saw him move to CHF on a semi full time basis in 2004 when he was fit and the same injury that keep him to nothing more than a bit part Full Forward in 2005.

Face the facts its not an injury of waiting for him to recover full fitness and away he goes, this has been a 3 year injury that is getting WORSE not better. His knees are worse than Magic's and you expect him to come to this club and play in the RUCK. You really need to have your head checked

the eagles were very deperate for some talls up forward.

True the Eagles were deperate for some talls up forward, but did he provide anything for them in the Grand Final??? No. Did he provide a solid target to kick to??? No. Gardiner playing forward played into the Swans hands in the Grand Final because we knew he couldn't run after Leo, wasn't much chop as a forward and couldn't even pinch hit in the ruck for five minutes because of LONG TERM knee injury concerns. The Eagles rolled the dice and we won.

Gardiner would be well worth it

I would rather Chambers because at least he can ruck a full game if required (say if Jolly went down with an injury early in a match), is still young and is at least improving. Gardiner brings NOTHING to the table, NOTHING.

swannieserin
7th June 2006, 06:25 PM
Stop picking on Chambers.

Trust Paul Roos.

Bart
7th June 2006, 07:11 PM
Spider will be a Swan next year.

Ruda Wakening
7th June 2006, 11:29 PM
The same injury that he played with during the last half of 2003.

The intermediate cuneiform bone is in a different region to the knee.

smasher
8th June 2006, 07:53 AM
I would be very surprised if Spida came to Sydney as he and his partner are in the process of settling a real estate deal in outer Melbourne where they have purchased a large home with a few acres of land.Reasons for this is he has three or four kids who are getting older and need more space and the location was chosen because it is a fairly quick drive up the freeway to Waverley where the Hawks call home now.

NMWBloods
8th June 2006, 10:15 AM
A two year adventure to Sydney wouldn't upset those plans too much.

goswannie14
8th June 2006, 10:19 AM
All you do is convince the Mrs and the kids that it's only for 2 years and they'll buy it. What kids wouldn't want an adventure to another city for a couple of years.

sydneyswans1989
8th June 2006, 01:04 PM
The same injury that he played with during the last half of 2003, when he went from all but being All Australian ruckman in waiting to "just" making the bench and seeing the spot go to Goodes. The same injury that saw him move to CHF on a semi full time basis in 2004 when he was fit and the same injury that keep him to nothing more than a bit part Full Forward in 2005.

Face the facts its not an injury of waiting for him to recover full fitness and away he goes, this has been a 3 year injury that is getting WORSE not better. His knees are worse than Magic's and you expect him to come to this club and play in the RUCK. You really need to have your head checked

True the Eagles were deperate for some talls up forward, but did he provide anything for them in the Grand Final??? No. Did he provide a solid target to kick to??? No. Gardiner playing forward played into the Swans hands in the Grand Final because we knew he couldn't run after Leo, wasn't much chop as a forward and couldn't even pinch hit in the ruck for five minutes because of LONG TERM knee injury concerns. The Eagles rolled the dice and we won.

I would rather Chambers because at least he can ruck a full game if required (say if Jolly went down with an injury early in a match), is still young and is at least improving. Gardiner brings NOTHING to the table, NOTHING.

I would rather a bloke who can ruck, take marks & kick the ball, its called getting disposals, every other ruckman in the AFL seems to be able to get them.

Gardiner played 17 games in 2003 & still made All Australian, yes we are in 2006 & alot of things can change in 3 years but a man who has good ability deserves an opportunity to prove himself again & like i said before I think he would be great at the swans.

Ruda Wakening
12th June 2006, 03:21 AM

There were people on here who said similar about Beau McDonald when his name was mentioned at the end of last year.

"Gardiner had a solid hitout in the ruck and covered plenty of ground. His touch and skill level could not be faulted as he pulled down 13 marks and grabbed 25 possessions."

Link (http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19433425%255E2762,00.html)

Go Swannies
12th June 2006, 01:31 PM
If you talk to Eagles supporters they'll tell you that Gardner is a liability within the team. If you think we give Benny a hard time, I've never heard a player abused as much as Gardner was in the QF - and that was in the Chairman's Box.

sydneyswans1989
12th June 2006, 07:55 PM
The weagles fans are only dishing it out to Gardiner because they know they dont need him basically & yeah also think hes no good. A majority of those weagles fans would'nt know how good Gardiner's form has been in the WAFL, they only 'think' they know.

Ruda Wakening
13th June 2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
If you talk to Eagles supporters they'll tell you that Gardner is a liability within the team.

And? Supporters on here said Davis was soft, Fosdike was useless, and a bloke who got delisted at the end of the year should have been playing seniors.

Go Swannies
13th June 2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
And? Supporters on here said Davis was soft, Fosdike was useless, and a bloke who got delisted at the end of the year should have been playing seniors.

But RWO is special. I find Weagles supporters tend to hero worship their players - even when they are in the dock.

Ruda Wakening
13th June 2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
I find Weagles supporters tend to hero worship their players - even when they are in the dock.

No worse than hero worshipping a bloke who jerked off in the bushes.

hammo
13th June 2006, 03:53 PM
Watch a replay of the Grand Final and see if you still want Gardiner.

I'm disappointed we didn't go harder for Beau McDonald from Brisbane - surely he would have been a better option that Chambers.

Ruda Wakening
13th June 2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Watch a replay of the Grand Final and see if you still want Gardiner.

If i look at the replay again will it change and have him in the ruck? If it won't then it'd be a bit of a waste of time considering him mainly being a ruckman is what i'm talking about.

I haven't said he should shift to Sydney either - he wouldn't.

I've simply pointed out that despite Robbie saying he'd never play in the ruck again - he is. Oh yeah, and that people who support MOL probably shouldn't point their fingers at other clubs 'unsavoury' characters.

At least we agree on one thing - Beau McDonald. (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11997&perpage=12&highlight=beau%20mcdonald&pagenumber=6)