PDA

View Full Version : Win was like a loss: Roos

Jeffers1984
7th June 2006, 11:37 AM
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=271873

Good attitude from our coach.

Sanecow
7th June 2006, 11:44 AM
"You hope in a way the players put it down as a loss even though we won the game," Roos said on Tuesday.

"In a way we played poorly enough and the Kangaroos played well enough to win the game so the players should take that out of the game."

Like um, the um, Grand Final?

wheels27
7th June 2006, 12:10 PM
They say a team needs to lose a Grand Final to win one, so if the players can be convinced they lost last September, they will be hungrier come this year's finals.

Well done Roosy!

Roosy is great, Roosy is good, Roosy is great, Roosy is good....

Or for the Homers:

na na na na na na na na na Roosy!

liz
7th June 2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Like um, the um, Grand Final?

Who says the team played poorly in the GF? Surely it was a tight, tough battle in which both teams had their periods of control but that was still up for grabs at the end of the match.

I've never heard any suggestion before that the Swans played that match poorly.

Sanecow
7th June 2006, 01:21 PM
I guess Micky was pretty fabbo on the day.

NMWBloods
7th June 2006, 01:23 PM
Swans should have run away with it in the third quarter. Game should have been locked away at 3QT. We definitely played poorly for periods in the 1st, 3rd and final quarters, and didn't really make the most of our opportunities in the second either.

liz
7th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Swans should have run away with it in the third quarter. Game should have been locked away at 3QT. We definitely played poorly for periods in the 1st, 3rd and final quarters, and didn't really make the most of our opportunities in the second either.

Due to the pressure exerted by both teams and the tension of the occasion in part, no doubt.

One could argue that the Eagles should have had it wrapped up by quarter time, given the way they dominated clearances in the first quarter.

I'm not suggesting it was a stellar performance by the Swans but I'd resist any suggestions that the team was consistently outplayed by its opponent or that it "stole" the game in any regard. Nor do I think the Eagles would have been considered particularly lucky had Seaby taken that final mark rather than Barry. I just think it was an evenly contested game where the Swans were the ones who happened to be ahead when the final siren sounded.

Sanecow
7th June 2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by liz
I just think it was an evenly contested game where the Swans were the ones who happened to be ahead when the final siren sounded.

"In a way we played poorly enough and the Kangaroos played well enough to win the game"

Mel
7th June 2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wheels27

Well done Roosy!

Roosy is great, Roosy is good, Roosy is great, Roosy is good....

Or for the Homers:

na na na na na na na na na Roosy!

Hahaha, that one was on just the other day. :)

Plugger46
7th June 2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by liz
Due to the pressure exerted by both teams and the tension of the occasion in part, no doubt.

One could argue that the Eagles should have had it wrapped up by quarter time, given the way they dominated clearances in the first quarter.

I'm not suggesting it was a stellar performance by the Swans but I'd resist any suggestions that the team was consistently outplayed by its opponent or that it "stole" the game in any regard. Nor do I think the Eagles would have been considered particularly lucky had Seaby taken that final mark rather than Barry. I just think it was an evenly contested game where the Swans were the ones who happened to be ahead when the final siren sounded.

Agree entirely.

NMWBloods
7th June 2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by liz
Due to the pressure exerted by both teams and the tension of the occasion in part, no doubt. Definitely, although when we had the chance to run away, West Coast pressure was much reduced.

One could argue that the Eagles should have had it wrapped up by quarter time, given the way they dominated clearances in the first quarter. Absolutely.

I'm not suggesting it was a stellar performance by the Swans but I'd resist any suggestions that the team was consistently outplayed by its opponent or that it "stole" the game in any regard. Nor do I think the Eagles would have been considered particularly lucky had Seaby taken that final mark rather than Barry. I just think it was an evenly contested game where the Swans were the ones who happened to be ahead when the final siren sounded. Yep, I agree.

We could have busted the game open in the third quarter though...

Xie Shan
7th June 2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
We could have busted open the game in the third quarter though...

Absolutely! The missed set shots early in the third killed me. We could almost have had a 5 goal lead before WC kicked their third goal for the match! :eek: