PDA

View Full Version : 1-3 Scg

swans_premiers
11th June 2006, 01:42 AM
When is the last time our record has been this bad at the SCG? 1 win from 4 games which was an 'away' game.

cruiser
11th June 2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
When is the last time our record has been this bad at the SCG? 1 win from 4 games which was an 'away' game. I made a similar observation to mates as we were leaving the game. I for one am glad we're playing Collingwood at Telstra Stadium.

midaro
11th June 2006, 01:56 AM
Just coincidence, no reason to believe it's anything systematic.

However, it is disappointing. All our losses this year have been disappointing--more then usual, because we should've (Essendon & Carlton) or could've (Melbourne & St. Kilda) won them.

The SCG is still where I would choose to play--even if we're developing a good record at TS.

SimonH
11th June 2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by midaro
Just coincidence, no reason to believe it's anything systematic.

However, it is disappointing. All our losses this year have been disappointing--more then usual, because we should've (Essendon & Carlton) or could've (Melbourne & St. Kilda) won them.

The SCG is still where I would choose to play--even if we're developing a good record at TS. We should certainly have beaten Carlton. They're not a very good team. Oh, wait a minute: we did.

midaro
11th June 2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by SimonH
We should certainly have beaten Carlton. They're not a very good team. Oh, wait a minute: we did.
Oops! Port Adelaide.
...we failed to lose to Carlton despite best efforts. ;)

woo
11th June 2006, 04:12 AM
guys facts are our play does not suit the scg....the stats say it all.

I have travelling out to telstra but if it means were gonna win I'll travel to bourke and back every weekend...

anne
11th June 2006, 09:04 AM
It is pretty pathetic when the premiership team can't win at home!

anne
11th June 2006, 09:57 AM
On reflection it really does seems as if the size of the SCG is a problem. Apart from that I love the ground and am looking forward to being able to walk to the football when we return to Sydney. But, like a previous poster said, I would be happy to travel to Homebush if it suits them better. But I guess it won't happen.

Captain
11th June 2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
I made a similar observation to mates as we were leaving the game. I for one am glad we're playing Collingwood at Telstra Stadium.

Same.

I also made the comment 'could you imagine West Coast losing 3 out of 4 games at Subbi?'

hammo
11th June 2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Captain
Same.

I also made the comment 'could you imagine West Coast losing 3 out of 4 games at Subbi?'
Or Brisbane when at the Gabba when they were dominant?

We seem to gift wrap 4 points for visiting teams to the SCG

Dave
11th June 2006, 12:31 PM
The place is a dump.

I'd be the first to put a wrecking ball through the whole joint.

I was refused entry because my shirt (which was under my collarded jacket, with a scarf around my neck) didn't have a collar.
I said to the moron on the gate that I'd been given entry before as my jacket had a collar - but nooo, my shirt (which was concealed anyway) had to have one as well.
I was informed that I could go and purchase one from the merch. stand, at which point I said I wouldn't and I called the guy a @@@@@@ing a**ehole and then had some other toss tell me I wouldn't get in at all if I continued.

After getting the wife and kids in I called a mate inside and got him to pass a collared shirt through gate 19 (which was around the corner) which I put on, gained entry, then took straight off again.

@@@@@@ing morons!

Aside from that, I had to put up with a crap Balfours pie and watch my team get beaten on a tiny outdated joke of a gound, then try to get through the city at the end of it.

I think next year I'll just go to the Telstra games and pay on the day.
Bugger paying $600 a year for that crap.

robamiee
11th June 2006, 12:41 PM
Our style of play now, doesn't work at the SCG...
But i wouldn't be too concerned from last night as with the conditions as they were, i am 1 not too fussed about last night considering 3 frees in the goal square for the saints and we couldn't buy one at the other end.
Over 50 frees awarded last night and i reckon those token out of bounds were only given to even up the ledger a little..as the penalty count was way lop sided.

But the SCG is not our ground and i for one would prefer them to play at Homebush...

Captain
11th June 2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave
The place is a dump.

I'd be the first to put a wrecking ball through the whole joint.

I was refused entry because my shirt (which was under my collarded jacket, with a scarf around my neck) didn't have a collar.
I said to the moron on the gate that I'd been given entry before as my jacket had a collar - but nooo, my shirt (which was concealed anyway) had to have one as well.
I was informed that I could go and purchase one from the merch. stand, at which point I said I wouldn't and I called the guy a @@@@@@ing a**ehole and then had some other toss tell me I wouldn't get in at all if I continued.

The ar*eholes on the gates get up my goat as well. Since when have the SCG member rules defined what piece of clothing can have a collar and what can't? Apparently a collar on a jacket doesn't actually count as a collar??

I ended up going to a store at Fox selling ex Gowings stock and managed a bargain on a collared shirt.

woo
11th June 2006, 05:11 PM
scg has strict rules on attire so you guys better get used to it, on the other hand they are ridiculous rules...utterly ridiculous

Captain
11th June 2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by woo
scg has strict rules on attire so you guys better get used to it, on the other hand they are ridiculous rules...utterly ridiculous

The rule is that men must wear a collar.

The problem is the nazis on the gate think a jacket collar doesn't qualify.

cruiser
11th June 2006, 08:46 PM
They've gotten utterly ridiculous about the collar business in the SCG members area over the last couple of games but you've got no choice but to comply. A mate of mine had the same problem re his collared jacket and he also abused the collar Nazi. Its a pain - move all games to Telstra!!

The place is a dump.

I'd be the first to put a wrecking ball through the whole joint. The MCG puts it to shame.

Dave
11th June 2006, 09:00 PM
The rule is that men must wear a collar.

The problem is the nazis on the gate think a jacket collar doesn't qualify.

I have been granted access wearing exactly the same coat several times with a long sleeved t-shirt underneath (as I said to the gate nazi). The inconsistency is a joke.
What also annoyed me is that they chose to do it on a night where it was raining and there was a large queue to get in.

As I said, I'm not going to pay $600 plus a year to sit in a crap stand (the ladies) with my family and have F-wits deny me entry when I am dressed well enough to get into any club in town.

Also to have no undercover seating (unless I get there 2hrs before the game) and also to watch footy on a stupid sized ground (when a perfect, full sized, modern stadium exists) is starting to grate on me.

It might have to be the telstra super pass for us next year and maybe the odd SCG game. I don't think membership is worth it anymore.

Dave
11th June 2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cruiser

The MCG puts it to shame.

Manuka puts it to shame!!!!

ROK Lobster
11th June 2006, 10:56 PM
Manuka puts it to shame!!!! Damn right!

As for the collar thing, they are absolute tossers. I went with a chardonnay sipping mate a few years ago who had a polo necked jumper on under a jacket. I actually thought he was too well dressed for the footy. They would not let him in so I had to go in nd buy him red polo which he put on under his polo necked jumper so the collar could not be seen anyway.

A few years ago I would have shuddered at Dave's 'wreck the joint' comment. Now I could not agree more. The Trust need to move quickly or footy and cricket will move away.

Captain
12th June 2006, 12:03 AM
Turning people away is such a great way of attracting/retaining members to the club.

giant
12th June 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm confused - they refused you entry into the SCG or into the members? Surely not the ground itself - I've seen people wearing all manner of crap at the cricket.

ROK Lobster
12th June 2006, 01:04 PM
Members reserve area - ie Ladies and Noble stands.

swantastic
12th June 2006, 11:07 PM
Turning people away is such a great way of attracting/retaining members to the club. What about us full vic members,when we come up to games all we get is crap ga seats at scg and when we want to buy a reserved seat it costs $60.In melbourne all we have to do is pay the diffrence between ga and reserved seats.At least at tstadium ga seats are pretty good.The club should do some thing about it i already pay membreship,for what i think some times.

anne
13th June 2006, 12:08 AM
If you go up to Sydney for more than 1 or 2 games it is worth buying a full club country membership. It gets you into any 5 games you choose and you can sit in the members area. It costs $125 a year and you have to live at least 100k from Sydney.

swantastic
13th June 2006, 12:52 AM
Thank you, i will look into it tomorrow.

goswannie14
13th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
What about us full vic members,when we come up to games all we get is crap ga seats at scg I really enjoyed sitting in the pouring rain in bay 16 on Saturday night! But I have to agree with Dave, the SCG is a crap venue. It is good in that you can be closer to the game than at the MCG, but if it rains in Melb and you are at the MCG at least 1/2 of a crowd of 100,000 can be undercover.

Oh well, my father in law, enjoyed his first game of AFL even though his glasses were so wet he could hardly see anything. I think my taking him to the footy in torrential rain will go down in the annals of family folk lore.:D

BTW I am now 0 and 2 at the SCG.

blinddog
13th June 2006, 11:57 PM
I don't know why you are so hot under the collar, the email that the Swans have been sending me clearly states that you must have a collared shirt to enter. It does not say jacket or anything else, only shirt. The first time I was asked (when they started getting strict) a few years ago I learnt my lesson, I pack a shirt in my bag and have since had no problems.

goswannie14
14th June 2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by blinddog
I don't know why you are so hot under the collar, the email that the Swans have been sending me clearly states that you must have a collared shirt to enter. It does not say jacket or anything else, only shirt. The first time I was asked (when they started getting strict) a few years ago I learnt my lesson, I pack a shirt in my bag and have since had no problems. That sounds like the MCG members, they make it clear that it must be a collared shirt. The silly thing is you would not be let in with a $100.00 JAG T-shirt, but you can get in wearing a $5.00 polo shirt from Dimmey's.:confused:

ScottH
14th June 2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
That sounds like the MCG members, they make it clear that it must be a collared shirt. The silly thing is you would not be let in with a $100.00 JAG T-shirt, but you can get in wearing a $5.00 polo shirt from Dimmey's.:confused: That would be the MCC not MCG.

Cost of the item is irrelevant in these decisions.

goswannie14
14th June 2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
That would be the MCC not MCG.

Cost of the item is irrelevant in these decisions. I know it is the MCC, but I was trying to make it simpler for the uninitiated, as we were talking about grounds.

The cost thing was just an illustration, I used to collect on the members gate at the MCG and I had met guys who were in exactly that situation. It just seems a little too mandatory.

I wonder how the "frocked up" Catholic priests get in, do they have to wear a shirt with a collar over their vestments?:tongue in cheek:

blinddog
14th June 2006, 09:16 PM
The silly thing is you would not be let in with a $100.00 JAG T-shirt, but you can get in wearing a $5.00 polo shirt from Dimmey's.:confused:

BUt that is what the rule says, does not matter how silly it is. And seriously if you are wearing a $100 Jag shirt you don't deserve to be let in!

Sanecow
14th June 2006, 10:11 PM
I wonder how the "frocked up" Catholic priests get in, do they have to wear a shirt with a collar over their vestments?:tongue in cheek:

Catholic priests wear collars, silly.

desredandwhite
14th June 2006, 10:39 PM
Ahhh.. O'Reilly Stand goodness.

I've never understood the members reserve. The stands you get access to aren't as nice as the more modern stands (O'Reilly, Brewongle, Churchill), and you still have to have a big bunfight over seats.

Although I am seated on the Death Trap side of the ground (I can't believe there are no emergency exits along that whole side).

Dave
14th June 2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Ahhh.. O'Reilly Stand goodness.

I've never understood the members reserve. The stands you get access to aren't as nice as the more modern stands (O'Reilly, Brewongle, Churchill), and you still have to have a big bunfight over seats.

You obviously earn enough money to sit where you want and probably don't have kids to pay for either. I dont have that luxury.

Maybe you now understand the members reserve.

:mad:

Dave
14th June 2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by blinddog
I don't know why you are so hot under the collar, the email that the Swans have been sending me clearly states that you must have a collared shirt to enter. It does not say jacket or anything else, only shirt. The first time I was asked (when they started getting strict) a few years ago I learnt my lesson, I pack a shirt in my bag and have since had no problems.

I have worn the same thing without a problem until that night.

I also had a scarf around my neck which covered anything under it anyway, so you wouldn't have seen it if I was wearing one.
Because it was raining and cool I chose a long sleeve t-shirt instead.

FWIW the shirt that actually got me access to the ground was a V-neck long sleeve t-shirt - no collar, but it was official merchandise. So go figure. The hypocrisy of it all is bull@@@@@@.

goswannie14
14th June 2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Catholic priests wear collars, silly. But they're not "proper" shirts with collars are they?

desredandwhite
14th June 2006, 11:57 PM
You obviously earn enough money to sit where you want and probably don't have kids to pay for either. I dont have that luxury.

Maybe you now understand the members reserve.

:mad:

How much is an adult members reserve season ticket? I remember when I first applied for membership (1998), they weren't that different in price, but it might be different now.

Plus you're right about the kids, IIRC you pay virtually full price for kids in the reserved stand seats, so they're not the best value. However, a stand membership is something like a 50% discount on walk-up ticketek prices!!!

That's the problem with the SCG though - it has been one of the most expensive grounds for a while. At the MCG, Gabba and Docklands, you can get a good seat for cheap prices, as long as you turn up early enough. Perhaps the only ground that is worse is Kardinia Park.

ScottH
15th June 2006, 07:42 AM
But they're not "proper" shirts with collars are they? Bible bashers aren't allowed into the MCC, anyway.

goswannie14
15th June 2006, 09:07 AM
Bible bashers aren't allowed into the MCC, anyway. I'm assuming from that comment that even though I am a Christian Minister of Religion, I am not a Bible basher then.:D I have been fortunate enough to sit there a number of times, but they were the days when after you had collected on the gates the guys would let you in, not any more.:frown

ScottH
15th June 2006, 09:18 AM
not any more.:frown SEE!!!!!!

goswannie14
15th June 2006, 09:20 AM
SEE!!!!!! LOL:eek:

They must have changed it when they rebuilt the Members stand.

ScottH
15th June 2006, 09:22 AM
LOL:eek: Siriusly, the collar thing is a bit of a joke.

In the middle of winter, wearing a many layers + jacket/s, no one has ever stopped me to check if I am wearing a collar underneath all that.

goswannie14
15th June 2006, 09:25 AM
Siriusly, the collar thing is a bit of a joke.

In the middle of winter, wearing a many layers + jacket/s, no one has ever stopped me to check if I am wearing a collar underneath all that. When I used to collect on the members gate (for about 6 years in the 80's-90's) they were fastidious in checking that everyone had a collared shirt, covered shoes etc. What Peed some men off was that the womens dress code was a little less strict, as long as they showed no midriff they were generally okay.

I guess that means no muffin top jeans in the MCC members.:D

Zlatorog
15th June 2006, 10:03 AM
Is this thread still about the poor Swans run at the SCG or is this now a discussion about individual fan's apparels?:confused:

Mel
15th June 2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite

Plus you're right about the kids, IIRC you pay virtually full price for kids in the reserved stand seats, so they're not the best value. However, a stand membership is something like a 50% discount on walk-up ticketek prices!!!

I thought the kids tickets were about half of what adults are? I'm sure dad paid less than $200 for each of the kids. We're in the Churchill.

Dave
15th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Zlatorog
Is this thread still about the poor Swans run at the SCG or is this now a discussion about individual fan's apparels?:confused:

It's an overall thread about how crap the SCG is and how it now holds no adavntage for the Swans (or spectators).

Danzar
15th June 2006, 02:00 PM
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but the SCG corporate boxes are a different story altogether.

There are official dress rules (collar, closed shoes etc), but I always wear a t-shirt (nice one of course) on hot days and never have a problem getting in.

They don't even bat an eyelid.

The TS boxes are different - they police that vigorously.

This problem is not generic to footy. You find it with RSL's, Qantas lounges etc.

The powers that be remove the right of discretion from the 'gatekeepers', who instead, are forced to blindly follow a set of rules.

The set of rules goes like this:

'since I'm not paid to determine whether your overall attire is presentable, I'll apply a checklist, which is designed to ensure that you kinda look ok (fingers crossed) and if you don't fit, you don't get in.

I know you're wearing a threadbare, faded 'ole collared t-shirt and you look far worse than the other guy, who's wearing a brand new, nicely fitting t-shirt with great shoes and pants BUT, I'm just doing my job.

All praise to the gatekeepers that do let you in without a collar, as at least they're empowering themselves by exercising discretion, even if they are the one responsible for creating the inconsistency.

It's a no-win situation - give someone discretion and they're open to argument and dispute. Apply a set of rules, and you remove that vulnerability (and scope for argument) BUT you create inconsistencies. Which do you prefer?

desredandwhite
15th June 2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mel
I thought the kids tickets were about half of what adults are? I'm sure dad paid less than $200 for each of the kids. We're in the Churchill.

Maybe I'm thinking of concession, or maybe I'm hallucinating slightly this week. :)

You're right. 2006 stand prices for kids is $125 (compared to $360 for adults). Members reserve is 290/80, which would make a decent difference if multiplied over a lot of kiddies!

Missy
15th June 2006, 09:36 PM
What Peed some men off was that the womens dress code was a little less strict, as long as they showed no midriff they were generally okay.

I got singled out at the SCG on Sat night by an official while I was buying a pie. I think his words were 'fix yourself up' as you could see my corset sticking out of my top and he thought it was a bit revealing even though I had my swans scarf on covering myself up. I thought that was a joke. I think I laughed at him coz I thought he was makig a joke but then he got grumpy at me and I realised he was serious. Oops.