PDA

View Full Version : Roos the Axe????

floppinab
12th June 2006, 09:36 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/roos-it-may-be-time-for-axe/2006/06/11/1149964414883.html

Is he foxing????

I think so, I can't believe we going to see wholesale changes in a run of 5 games against Top 8 sides.

Perhaps one might come in but I can't see it being more than that.

Interesting to see the pecking order though.

Vogels, Moore and Bevan in front of Schmidt and Willoughby.

Legs Akimbo
12th June 2006, 09:42 AM
I am starting to think that trading away our first round pick on 05 was a mistake and that Chambers is essentially a lost pick. Our young guys aren't getting a game in the seniors. I cannot understand why we would be trading out of this years draft for older fringe players. Look where that has left Laidely and Sheedy of late.

Give Earl a game!

barry
12th June 2006, 10:07 AM
Doyle rushed in ????
:)

NMWBloods
12th June 2006, 10:44 AM
while it had been a luxury to have used only 24 players this season, "staleness" could become a problem.

"I don't like to pre-empt anything, but I think you'd like to introduce a couple of new players"

About bloody time.

Blind Freddy (and half of RWO) could see that some changes were necessary.

And as for those people sooking when some called for changes and said "you don't change a winning team"...

Sanecow
12th June 2006, 11:34 AM
I'd stake ROK Lobster's life on Chambers playing this week (barring an injury).

stellation
12th June 2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
This week? Poor Rokster!

barry
12th June 2006, 11:47 AM
With Fraser possibly playing lone ruck against us, it opens up the possibility to risk a few things with our ruck division.

ie Jolly playing 20 min a quarter. Doyle/Shaw/Erickson playing 10 mins a quarter.

stellation
12th June 2006, 11:54 AM
I reckon he'll drop Davo. I bet Roos is sitting somewhere right now (probably eating a sandwich, does he ever stop eating?!?!?!?) thinking "Okay, I've done the ground work... how can I truly crush him emotionally... who are we playing next?"

Mike_B
12th June 2006, 11:54 AM
The bit that says the most in that article for me is

"The greatest fear is that you want to pick players and you try to pick players, but they are not getting much game time over the next month," he said. "We often leave guys out of the seconds, too, because we need to keep them in case there is an injury in the [senior team] warm-up.

"Luke Vogels will have had half a game in four weeks which is unacceptable to try and prepare yourself for AFL footy. You are talking about a professional organisation that turns over $30 million a year that obviously needs to play their players in games.

"It's almost farcical that we can't provide a game for our players."

Sounds a bit like they are looking at alternatives for the reserves - hopefully they can come up with something that will work.

Sanecow
12th June 2006, 11:57 AM
getting a [Luke] Vogels in, or a [Jarred] Moore or [Paul] Bevan back ... and Tim Schmidt ? hopefully they will get their opportunity

These names do not add up to dropping Chambers. Maybe Leapin' will get Schaublized.

Captain
12th June 2006, 12:04 PM
My Changes:

Richards out for Vogels
Dempster out for Moore/Schmidt

Schneiderman
12th June 2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Captain
My Changes:

Richards out for Vogels

Yep.

Go Swannies
12th June 2006, 01:45 PM

As we aren't playing this week, I hope poor ROK isn't the first of NMW's virgins?

- or the goat

Sanecow
12th June 2006, 01:50 PM
I apologize in advance to ROK.

Xie Shan
12th June 2006, 02:02 PM
Richards out for Vogels

YES to the former, not sure about the latter. Dempster would be very stiff to get dropped. But he may have to be the unlucky one.

Doesn't look like there's any room for Mathews in the 22 anymore. I can hear RWO collectively rejoicing from here, and I am not about to object either, if Roos is serious about injecting fresh blood!

Xie Shan
12th June 2006, 02:09 PM
Bevo will just have to wait his turn. They still have to fit Malceski back in. Surely Schmidt deserves a debut? And what about Spriggs? :p

Bleed Red Blood
12th June 2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Xie Shan
YES to the former, not sure about the latter. Dempster would be very stiff to get dropped. But he may have to be the unlucky one.

I agree (When do I ever agree with you? :p ) . Drop McVeigh before Dempster.

Damien
12th June 2006, 08:48 PM

Spot on with that one IMO. I would persist with Richards a little bit longer though.

There is no way on earth I would be dropping McVeigh though, he is finally showing some form and improving every match.

Roscoe
12th June 2006, 08:55 PM
Agree 100% that Dempster is Goooonnnnne

he was very slow and added very little

But I don't dislike him - I prefer him to Richards

Schmidt /Moore must be looked at

I don't think that Vogels is up to scratch - too soft, no intensity

I'm sure that I will get bagged for this but - lets discuss

Tuesday
12th June 2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
I don't think that Vogels is up to scratch - too soft, no intensity

And have you been to watch the ressies any time in the past year, or have you just managed to cross Salt Pan Creek Bridge for the first time in your life?

ROK Lobster
12th June 2006, 08:59 PM
Where does the "Vogels is soft" train of thought originate. I have noticed it here a bit. Why. I never saw him shirk like Ted does.

Damien
12th June 2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Tuesday
And have you been to watch the ressies any time in the past year, or have you just managed to cross Salt Pan Creek Bridge for the first time in your life?

Possibly would be more constructive of you to actually give your review of Vogels performance in the Ressies this year to combat his argument instead of deliberately baiting.

Just a thought.....

liz
12th June 2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Possibly would be more constructive of you to actually give your review of Vogels performance in the Ressies this year to combat his argument instead of deliberately baiting.

Just a thought.....

I'm a bit confused where the "soft" tag has come from. He's not yet done any Byron Pickett impersonations but I thought his intensity last year at senior level was decent enough for a player in his first handful of games.

I think he's been a mixed bag at reserves level this year, even within games. But it is easy to spot what seems to turn his game around - a move from the backline to the forward line. I know he played as a key back in the Hamden league and did ok back there in the NSO game, but every time I've seen him down back this year in the reserves he's looked slow and disinterested, even against the mediocre opposition he tends to be up against in the ACTAFL. Switch him forward and he suddenly comes to life.

He played a very very good first half last week in Canberra...as a forward.

I have no doubt he could play senior football. I'd choose Vogels over Richards in a flash if you're just looking for a forward, but what Richards maybe has over him at the moment is the ability to play down back as well.

NMWBloods
12th June 2006, 09:30 PM
Hardly surprising anyone in our reserves will look disinterested in the backline. I think most of them would be disinterested just turning up to the game when you expect to win by 20+ goals each time.

ugg
12th June 2006, 10:47 PM
Agree with the notion that Vogels is a better forward than a backman. Even in the few times he's played on a decent opponent he has been beaten, especially on the lead. As for Teddy, I don't think he's much of a backman either.

shole
12th June 2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
I agree (When do I ever agree with you? :p ) . Drop McVeigh before Dempster. I think McVeigh has been contributing more than Dempster has. been picking up a few disposals as well as tagging others when he's on

SimonH
12th June 2006, 11:31 PM
Very easy to come up with 'for god's sake, give the kids a try' gut reactions. Sure... why not? Everyone loves kids.

However, as we're discovering, much harder to decide who to axe. And except for Mathews, most of the nominees people come up with are the same age as those aforementioned 'kids'.

The fact is, our core 18-or-so players are a darn good team. None of them should feel secure if they drop their form: but it would take several weeks of consistently poor performances before you could dream of giving the arse to any of numbers 1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 28, 30, 31, 32 or 37. That leaves a pretty small droppable contingent.

NMWBloods
12th June 2006, 11:39 PM
It is a darn good team, but it has played darn poorly in the past two games, and in half the games this season. Sure they've looked very good in the other half, but sometimes a bit of shakeup is needed to produce more performance.

liz
13th June 2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
It is a darn good team, but it has played darn poorly in the past two games, and in half the games this season. Sure they've looked very good in the other half, but sometimes a bit of shakeup is needed to produce more performance.

The problem is, though, putting your finger on why they've fallen off in those games. It hasn't been a group of players playing noticeably more poorly than the rest - rather everyone has dropped off just slightly.

I was impressed by McVeigh on Saturday (to balance the disappointment I expressed in him in the Hawthorn game). He didn't dominate but his skills looked cleaner than most of his team mates. They say that the better skilled players actually look even better in atrocious conditions and I thought this was the case with him. I'd love to daydream that in a couple more years, with more experience and more confidence, he could become a Travis Johnstone (the good version) type player.

Piobaireachd
13th June 2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by stellation
I reckon he'll drop Davo. I bet Roos is sitting somewhere right now (probably eating a sandwich, does he ever stop eating?!?!?!?) thinking "Okay, I've done the ground work... how can I truly crush him emotionally... who are we playing next?" Probably well deserved after the saints effort.

Tuesday
13th June 2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Damien
Just a thought.....

Noted.

Perhaps it's worth asking our little friend Roscoe to qualify his comments?

Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Where does the "Vogels is soft" train of thought originate. I have noticed it here a bit. Why.

It comes from 'the ill-informed bandwagon' -- those on board agree with one person who turned up for the final three minutes of the Reserves one week a few rounds ago.

Then they get on here, pretend to be a bigger version of themselves, claim to have watched the whole thing and know all there is to know about a player's talent and work ethic.
All aboard. :o

BarneyG
13th June 2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
I agree (When do I ever agree with you? :p ) . Drop McVeigh before Dempster.

I concur aswell, McVeigh should make way for Malceski and Vogels in for Richards.

RogueSwan
13th June 2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BarneyG
I concur aswell, McVeigh should make way for Malceski ...
Why McVeigh? Is it just because you think along the lines of "last in, first out"?

Captain
13th June 2006, 11:18 AM
McVeigh is finally showing a bit and needs more games. The jury is still out on him but he has the potential to be very good and needs to be given more chances.

The concept of Vogels being soft is a load of crap. The guy is a good old fashioned country footballer, tough as nails.

stellation
13th June 2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
Probably well deserved after the saints effort.
You think? He had 11 disposals with 1 mark. He didn't blow too many marks that I can recall; he was presenting around the ground but his leads were not being rewarded.
Kirk 25 and 10
McVeigh 10 and 6
NOG 8 and 1
Willo 9 and 2 (4 from frees)
Crouch 6 and 0
It is hard to rack up a lot of disposals as a HF if you don't get the ball sent your way.

RogueSwan
13th June 2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by stellation
It is hard to rack up a lot of disposals as a HF if you don't get the ball sent your way.
As shown by Bazza's 5 and 2.

caj23
13th June 2006, 11:44 AM
richards and dempster are both out of form and have to go for the collingwood match

vogels in for richards

mathews will also be an in if fit - I may get shot down for this comment but i think we really missed his toughness in the wet on saturday night

i'm not sure who else roos has in mind but it would be great to see a few of the young fellas get a gig

RogueSwan
13th June 2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Will Sangster
mathews will also be an in if fit - I may get shot down for this comment but i think we really missed his toughness in the wet on saturday night
I am one of the multitude of RWOers calling for Mathews to be replaced, but after Saturday night I realise he may actually have a place, in games at the SCG, when its wet. ;)

BarneyG
13th June 2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Why McVeigh? Is it just because you think along the lines of "last in, first out"?

I dont think along the lines that you mentioned, but Malceski definately has better footy smarts and skills than that of McVeigh.

RogueSwan
13th June 2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by BarneyG
I dont think along the lines that you mentioned, but Malceski definately has better footy smarts and skills than that of McVeigh.
Agreed, but I would like to think that McVeigh is worth a spot on the seniors. He has improved singnificantly this years and most likely that is because of playing in the seniors. I would hate his development to be curbed by making him run around in the 2nds. But then again who would you replace to get the Eski a game?
How long until Malceski returns anyway?
Hamstring - 1 week, would he come straight back in, or get a run in the 2nd's for fitness?
All questions I am glad I don't have to answer. :)

BarneyG
13th June 2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
Agreed, but I would like to think that McVeigh is worth a spot on the seniors. He has improved singnificantly this years and most likely that is because of playing in the seniors. I would hate his development to be curbed by making him run around in the 2nds. But then again who would you replace to get the Eski a game?
How long until Malceski returns anyway?
Hamstring - 1 week, would he come straight back in, or get a run in the 2nd's for fitness?
All questions I am glad I don't have to answer. :)

I can see exactly where your coming from in regards to McVeigh, the coaches have a real selection head-ache.

All players will be available for the Collingwood clash apparently!

CLICK ME (http://injuryupdate.com.au/injuries.php?sport=AFL)

hammo
13th June 2006, 02:25 PM
It's all very well for Roos to talk about injecting fresh blood but I'll believe it when I see it.

Vogels was stiff not to play in the finals last year and hasn't been given an opportunity at all this year.

Guys like Moore, Willo II and Schmidt are in the reserves best week in week out and Roos is still talking about bringing Bevan in first.

One thing is certain - Mathews will be the first in for the Pies game.

Agent 86
13th June 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
...sounds a bit like they are looking at alternatives for the reserves - hopefully they can come up with something that will work.
Hope so. It's a farce right now.

Tuesday
13th June 2006, 05:19 PM
Vogels.
In.
NOW.

smasher
14th June 2006, 07:49 AM
If it is correct that Kennelly has to go home to Ireland in the fairly near future it would be wise to,imo,to groom Malceski for that running game off half back.He would fit in well there.

Wardy
14th June 2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tuesday
Vogels.
In.
NOW.

I'll second that!

goswannie14
14th June 2006, 11:21 AM
I did like this quote from our fearless leader...
"It's certainly not a priority but I'd like to see some of those guys getting picked and I know the bloke who picks the team, so maybe we can do something about that.

Sanecow
14th June 2006, 11:22 AM
So someone here knows Roosy?

goswannie14
14th June 2006, 11:27 AM
So someone here knows Roosy? Evidently yes.;)

Wardy
14th June 2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
I did like this quote from our fearless leader...

is he the new George Costanza referring to himself as the third person ?

RogueSwan
14th June 2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Wardy
is he the new George Costanza referring to himself as the third person ?
That's alright as long as he doesn't start using my 'baby'. :p

floppinab
14th June 2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by hammo
It's all very well for Roos to talk about injecting fresh blood but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm with ya Hammo I really think he is foxing a bit with those comments. If we were going to blood some newer players we would've done it over the last 3 or 4 rounds not when we are about to tackle to Top 4 over the next 5 rounds.

smasher
18th June 2006, 07:56 AM
I don't agree that McVeigh should be dropped.He has been the surprise packet of the season so far and deserves his spot.He does very well in his tagging role and will be needed against Collingwoods fleet of quicks.He also does the positive things as we have seen him kick some good goals as well.
One player I believe is playing under the radar is Couch.To me,he looks to be carrying injuries but doesn't want to break his continuous game number.I don't think his form warrants him automatic selections at the moment.

floppinab
22nd June 2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/roos-it-may-be-time-for-axe/2006/06/11/1149964414883.html

Is he foxing????

I think so, I can't believe we going to see wholesale changes in a run of 5 games against Top 8 sides.

Yup pretty much what I thought, same ol same ol. Pretty pointless coming out and frothing on about all this and then do nothing

NMWBloods
22nd June 2006, 09:14 PM
@@@@ Roos talks a load of @@@@.

Tuesday
23rd June 2006, 05:25 PM
So someone here knows Roosy?

My best friend's boyfriend's mother's second cousin's work colleague's mate. They're like that.