PDA

View Full Version : Best AFL game to watch

BAM_BAM
18th June 2006, 02:28 PM
Hi everyone,

My Boss has just returned from o/s While there he was asked what sort of football they have in the land of Oz. He tried to describe Aussie Rules. He has asked that I suggest to him a good game he could possible purchase to send over to the family (I think they live in Switzerland).

I smiled at him and told him he could always buy the GF and send that over, to which he told me "the result may have been good, but the game? I want a game that was great to watch. One that was high scoring but not one sided."

I've got all of the Swans games on video from about mid 2003 so during that period are there any games that stand out which fit the criteria that he suggested?

thanks guys

NMWBloods
18th June 2006, 02:41 PM
One of the best games for spectators is Essendon v. Kangaroos rd 16, 2001.

Hard to think of too many better.

I actually can't think of a single Swans game that neutral spectators will find enormously exciting.

desredandwhite
18th June 2006, 03:04 PM
Was that the big comeback? A big comeback it was, but I don't think it was that thrilling a game, both sides dominated at different times, so it wasn't really a good "contest" throughout.

However, it WAS a great achievement.

As for Swans games.. Perhaps the '03 final against Port Adelaide?

ugg
18th June 2006, 03:51 PM
I think there are a few in 2003 that could be suitable.

Of course we have the QF that Des already mentioned

How about Round 5 where we kicked the 10 goals in the last quarter to win? Not sure what the quality of the other 3 quarters were like though.

Round 6 against Collingwood at Docklands when they favourites was pretty satisfying from memory too.

Slick Swans
18th June 2006, 05:15 PM
One of my favorite games was a few years ago, i think 2004 at Telstra Stadium against the Pies, we won by no more than a goal and if i remember correctly there was an insane amount of lead changes, it was practically goal for goal all night.

ScottH
18th June 2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
One of the best games for spectators is Essendon v. Kangaroos rd 16, 2001.

Hard to think of too many better.

I actually can't think of a single Swans game that neutral spectators will find enormously exciting. If that was the one where Essendon came from miles behind, yes, that was the first one that came to mind.

liz
18th June 2006, 05:34 PM
I think the Bulldogs game this year was a very good game. Not an all time classic but certainly a very good contest between two talented teams who both played well but with contrasting styles.

If you're looking for an example of a "normal" yet still high quality game that you have readily to hand, this one would be a good choice.

deadan
18th June 2006, 05:57 PM
There was a game last year between the Demons and Freo, very entertaining. Not overly defensive and it was goal for goal all the way through. End to end footy as some would say.

stellation
18th June 2006, 06:01 PM
I sent an American friend the Finals series DVD set, he says that the final quarter of the Geelong SF is by far the most exciting football of any kind that he has ever seen (he is a huge American football fan).

swans05
18th June 2006, 06:21 PM
Western Bulldogs v Geelong Round 4

NMWBloods
18th June 2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Was that the big comeback? A big comeback it was, but I don't think it was that thrilling a game, both sides dominated at different times, so it wasn't really a good "contest" throughout.

However, it WAS a great achievement.It was a superb contest. Fantastic end to end footy. Lots of goals. A tough contest. Neither side looking overwhelmed despite the score line. A close finish.

As for Swans games.. Perhaps the '03 final against Port Adelaide? That was the only one I could think of. A pretty good game. Reasonably exciting for a neutral spectator. However, the Swans kicked away early and Port never really managed to get too close, so not really that thrilling for any non-Swans.

Damien
18th June 2006, 06:51 PM
Get him to get the Swans 2005 Highlights Video.

I had some Scottish friends watch it and they were hooked!.

Cuts out any of the stuff that non-AFL people might find boring, but would give them a good grasp of what goes on. Also gives them an indication of how huge the game is from a cultural point of view (media etc).

NMWBloods
18th June 2006, 07:24 PM
Highlights videos are a good idea.

swans05
18th June 2006, 07:43 PM
Ramsgate Hotel 2003

Dooloo
18th June 2006, 07:45 PM
What about the 1996 Prelim Final. Pluggers kick after the siren, cant get much more exciting than that

goswannie14
18th June 2006, 08:29 PM
I think the highlights one from 2005 would be best.:D

dread and might
18th June 2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
One of my favorite games was a few years ago, i think 2004 at Telstra Stadium against the Pies, we won by no more than a goal and if i remember correctly there was an insane amount of lead changes, it was practically goal for goal all night.

Yep. I thought of this as soon as I saw the thread.Cracker!

Danzar
19th June 2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dread and might
Yep. I thought of this as soon as I saw the thread.Cracker!
Top game. From memory, the lead changed around 21 times (or was it 17???).

Plugger46
19th June 2006, 01:31 PM
Going back a bit, but Rd 13 in '96 against Carlton, at Carlton is one of the best games of footy I've ever seen. Kelly and Kouta dominated.

NMWBloods
19th June 2006, 01:45 PM
1998, rd 4 Swans v. West Coast at the WACA. Schwass was awesome, as was Lockett. Kelly and Cresswell were also great, as were Kemp, Cousins and Gehrig for WC.

BAM_BAM
19th June 2006, 02:57 PM
thanks guys,

I did think of the Port QF and also the Pies and Dee's games mentioned. Also they Prelim in 96 is another option.

Doesn't want a highlights package which would've been super easy to arrange.

Plugger46
19th June 2006, 03:07 PM
1998, rd 4 Swans v. West Coast at the WACA. Schwass was awesome, as was Lockett. Kelly and Cresswell were also great, as were Kemp, Cousins and Gehrig for WC.

Remember it well. First victory since '87 in WA.

Go Swannies
19th June 2006, 06:07 PM
Also consider the Swans' game against the Eagles at the SCG in 2005. Incredibly fast intense game - like the Dogs game this year but not as clear cut earlier about who was going to win.

Captain
19th June 2006, 06:20 PM

If I remember rightly, Schwass, Kelly & Cresswell got something like 90+ possessions between them.

NMWBloods
19th June 2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Captain
If I remember rightly, Schwass, Kelly & Cresswell got something like 90+ possessions between them. Yep, they all managed > 30 possessions and Schwass kicked 5 goals. Lockett kicked 7. Gehrig kicked 6 at the other end. Stafford had 44 hitouts!

swantastic
19th June 2006, 06:49 PM
Any games the swans win.

Carolyn
19th June 2006, 09:16 PM
I'd also go with the highlights video. Or just string together last quarters from games we've won, i.e. SF or GF...

Nolie
21st June 2006, 03:20 AM
Yep, they all managed > 30 possessions and Schwass kicked 5 goals. Lockett kicked 7. Gehrig kicked 6 at the other end. Stafford had 44 hitouts!

Who won?

Nolie
21st June 2006, 03:23 AM
I have a copy of Paul Roo's 300th game versus North Melbourne at Princes Park. That is great game- but of course I am biased.

iigrover
21st June 2006, 03:28 PM
How about a copy of this Saturday night's game against the Pies.

...Free flowing, high scoring, physical and highly skilled game by the Swans, while keeping the Pies scoreless for 4 quarters :P

shippo
21st June 2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by iigrover
How about a copy of this Saturday night's game against the Pies.

...Free flowing, high scoring, physical and highly skilled game by the Swans, while keeping the Pies scoreless for 4 quarters :P

Is that the one where the Australian Pensioners Insurance lady spontaneously combusts in the crowd whilst sitting next to Shannon Nole and Jana Pittman thereby taking their sweet little arses with her to the hereafter? Great game that one. Have you got a tape?

iigrover
21st June 2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by shippo
Is that the one where the Australian Pensioners Insurance lady spontaneously combusts in the crowd whilst sitting next to Shannon Nole and Jana Pittman thereby taking their sweet little arses with her to the hereafter?

That's the one.

Have you got a tape?

Sorry, no. It looks like my flatmate taped over the game with last week's Big Brother Uncut. :-(

Thunder Shaker
21st June 2006, 04:51 PM
1972 Grand Final Carlton vs Richmond - 52 goals
1989 Grand Final Hawthorn vs Geelong
1995 Anzac Day Collingwood vs Essendon - good game, thrilling draw
2005 Grand Final Swans vs Eagles - yeah I'm biased but what a finish

And the triple pack
1996 Qualifying Final Brisbane vs Essendon
1996 Preliminary Final Sydney vs Essendon
1999 Preliminary Final Carlton vs Essendon