PDA

View Full Version : Maxfield vs Saddington

Steve
31st January 2003, 08:25 PM
This is what I see the decision coming down to.

It would be bizarre for Nicks to have been used as trade bait and then be awarded the captaincy 3 months later. O'Loughlin needs to focus on his own game before any further responsibility is added, and on last season's form, he just doesn't deserve it.

Williams seems to be out of the running - the 'if we go for an older player it has to be Maxfield' position.

Crouch and Mathews would just be way too big a stretch at this stage surely.

The decision probably also comes down to just how highly you regard the influence/power of the captain.

Maxfield
Pros
a current vice captain - a logical progression
consummate professional in approach - an example for a young list on how to prepare yourself
experienced player - should be able to handle the added pressures
an aggressive player - a common trait of most better captains
a midfielder - should always be near to the action
a fairly 'sure bet' - ie. it isn't likely it would fail dismally and a replacement be needed

Cons
nearly 31, contracted for only 2 more years - really a s/t option
in a period of transition, perhaps not a key player who is assured of keeping his spot purely on merit
nothing specifically marketable about him as the face of the club
at 31 and coming back from injury, perhaps focussing on his own game is preferable

Saddington
Pros
a naturally mature and level-headed person
only 23 - potentially a 10-year captain if he warms to it
going to be a key player - IMO the captain needs to be one of your best players
always calm and composed on field - potentially a steadying influence/example
added responsibility could actually fast-track him to the next level as a player
although not a household name could work as a fresh face of a fresh and exciting club

Cons
realistically probably a couple of years too soon
not really a physical player with a remarkable presence on the ground
ready to emerge as a player - the concern would be whether the added burden would hold him back
as a defender possibly not fashionable as a captain
still inexperienced, without proven leadership qualities

Personally, the decision comes down to whether Saddington is ready for and could handle the role, without it adversely affecting his development as a key player.

I'm not a fan of bit-part s/t captains, which Maxfield would be. That said no-one at the club really deserves it more, and in many ways 2005 would probably be a better time for someone like Saddington to take over.

But I'm a gambling man and would like to see a punt taken on Saddington.

desredandwhite
31st January 2003, 09:34 PM
Y'know.. this reminds me a bit of Barassi - > Eade ;)

CureTheSane
31st January 2003, 09:54 PM
I don't think Saddington has earnt the right to be considered yet.
That's just my opinion.
Still think it will definately be Maxfield.

liz
31st January 2003, 10:04 PM
It's pretty rare for a young player to become captain, and when it does happen it's because he is a standout within his club - ala Carey or Cousins.

While any of the younger Swans contenders may well do a worthy job, I don't think any of them is a standout. If Willo is not a candidate, I'd be amazed if Stewie doesn't get it.

Diego
31st January 2003, 10:24 PM
I like Stewie as Captain, but like PK it all started with a knee injury when he just hit the 30's. ;)

TheMase
31st January 2003, 10:32 PM
I have just been thinking .. and I don't think Maxfield will get it!

Think about it .. if we want to be a contender by year 3 (2005) then that would be the year of the transition of captains. That certainly is not ideal when you are going into a year that is supposed to make you a premiership threat.

I think the Swans will go for a youngin
Goodes or Saddington for mine (more likely Goodes IMO)

vagary
1st February 2003, 09:01 AM
stewie does seem like a good candidate for captain but i can see the mase's point.

i think crouch could make a good captain.

Has he missed a games yet? i remember last year there was an article about how he hadn't missed a game since debut.

robbieando
1st February 2003, 09:24 AM
My view is Stu should get the job for the next 2 season after which it is passed onto Jared Crouch. Now I know the last time I brought this up a few of you didn't like it BUT, I rather have a midfielder as captain than a Forward or a defender. This is because a midfielder plays all over the field while a K/P player has a task to play and the captaincy is the last thing that should play on their mind.

So for the next 2 season the Captaincy positions should be as follows

Captain: Stu Maxfield
V-Capt: Jared Crouch
V-Capt: Adam Goodes

Come 2005 it should be as follows

Captain: Jared Crouch
V-Capt: Adam Goodes
V-Capt: Jason Saddington

snajik
3rd February 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by vagary
stewie does seem like a good candidate for captain but i can see the mase's point.

i think crouch could make a good captain.

Has he missed a games yet? i remember last year there was an article about how he hadn't missed a game since debut.

Correct. Crouch has played (108?) games straight since debut. He jointly holds the consecutive games record for Sydney / South Melbourne with Cresswell. Round 1 v Carlton will see him hold it outright (barring any unforeseen pre-season injury. Yes, I just touched some wood).

Although his name hasn't been featuring in calculations, I would like to see Goodes named as captain. He is still young, rarely gets injured, can play almost any position, is intelligent, creative, loves his club, and can be inspirational.

Bron
3rd February 2003, 09:43 PM
Nice to see you in here Steve!

I think that Maxfield will get it. I think he deserves it. I think that the younger guys - Sads and Goodes and Crouchy - who are candidates need to prove who is a standout. The fact that we don't have a standout implies to me that we need a steadying influence until that leader emerges. There is enough change happening at the Club. Stewie leads by example.

I am disappointed the Willo isn't in there. Maybe he's stepped out of it as has been suggested. I hope that this is the case and not that he has been ignored.

Ajn
3rd February 2003, 10:50 PM
If it's out of those two, it's a no brainer. Saddo has little leadership skill, more of quiet achiever.

Steve
3rd February 2003, 10:56 PM
Maxfield is the obvious choice, but also the type of conservative option that we've taken for the past 6 1/2 years.

IMO ownership of the side has to be given to the Saddingtons, Goodes, Doyles, Crouchs, Mathews, Kennellys, Fosdikes etc etc. There are risks but doing that properly, which I feel includes official responsibility, really needs to be done.

From everything I've seen Saddington has the maturity to not only handle the role but do it well. Goodes is a flighty player by nature and that shouldn't be restricted, which something like the captaincy would do.

Crouch has many admirable qualities but if we become a very good side I personally don't see him being one of our better players.

At worst I'd want to see Maxfield given the job with someone like Saddington installed as a vice, with the intention of fast-tracking his development as a leader, maybe even next year if things go well.

Ajn
3rd February 2003, 11:24 PM
Don't totally agree, but Maxfield will be Capt. Let's learn to live with it, we're allowed to pick a coach, but not a captain.

Jimmy C
4th February 2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Ajn
Don't totally agree, but Maxfield will be Capt. Let's learn to live with it, we're allowed to pick a coach, but not a captain.

Without trying to be inflammatory-how, exactly, are we allowed to pick a coach? I can live with whoever the club decides to name as Captain. I don't care if its Maxi, Goodes, Crouch, or Saddo. Hell, I wouldn't care if it was Saddam Hussein (I'd take him over Wayne Carey), as long as they're in R&W its fine by me.

CARNA BLOODS!

skilts stilts
4th February 2003, 01:53 PM
There is no comparison.Saddington is just a plodder.It's frightening his name could even be in the mix.

vagary
4th February 2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
how, exactly, are we allowed to pick a coach?
CARNA BLOODS!

i think Ajn is refering to the terry wallace thing last year where any mention of terry wallace getting the swans job caused backlash from many fans.

4th February 2003, 11:01 PM
"No... must... stop...flashbacks! Aaaaagh. Nooo... don't... say it.
mmpfff. Must.... start breathing... again. /gasp! Terry Wallace. /gasp Paul Roos. /gasp need... air!" /sigh

Ajn
8th February 2003, 09:31 PM
sorry I didn't mean to start a new conflict, I was speaking a little tongue in cheek. Capt. issue is not that important as long as all play to the best of their abilities

motorace_182
8th February 2003, 10:56 PM
Why does the whole captaincy matter. There i a group of players who are considerd "leaders" eg. Cressa Willo Maxfield . Who can assist the youth. The only difference is that one player will have a (c) next to his name in the program, will decide which way to run and will have to attend post and pre match conferences. Not much involved at all. All that matters is the teams performance

CureTheSane
9th February 2003, 12:19 AM
Well, you have a captain like Kelly, who was very quiet on the field but played with such drive and impact, that he inspired the rest of the team to lift that little bit more.

We really don't have a player who can do what Kelly did, so we need a player who sometimes can play ina n inspirational way, but is also very vocal and supportive of his teammates.
Someone that the younger players can look up to and look to for leadership when they need to.

I have always thought that the idea of a captain at FB or FF was a bit silly.
Ideally they would be in the midfield and running a lot and coming into contact at one time or another with most of his team mates.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:16 PM
Saddington has a lot to prove before any consideration is given to comparisons