PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted Fan

Captain
26th June 2006, 02:25 PM
At around the 10 min mark of the 3rd quarter, just after Bazza popped through his 2nd, an old bag in front of me turned around and asked me to stop cheering so loudly!!!

Now this has happened to me before, over at Subi by a West Coast supporter. But this time it was actually by a Swans supporter who thought that we shouldn't cheer so loud.

On top of this, she didn't make any noise all night and left around the 10 min mark of the last quarter.

These are not the type of supporters who should come to the footy. She should stay at home with a blanket over her knees and a hot water bottle.

ScottH
26th June 2006, 02:28 PM
Maybe you should arrange to sit with janpa (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15057)

Jeffers1984
26th June 2006, 02:30 PM
Another one from Balmoral.. There must be a bandwagon starting there since the Swans came and visited their "peaceful" suburb.

jenky28
26th June 2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Captain
At around the 10 min mark of the 3rd quarter, just after Bazza popped through his 2nd, an old bag in front of me turned around and asked me to stop cheering so loudly!!!

Now this has happened to me before, over at Subi by a West Coast supporter. But this time it was actually by a Swans supporter who thought that we shouldn't cheer so loud.

On top of this, she didn't make any noise all night and left around the 10 min mark of the last quarter.

These are not the type of supporters who should come to the footy. She should stay at home with a blanket over her knees and a hot water bottle.

Thats funny you say that cos i felt the same thing on saturday nite. I screamed out to Crouchy which isnt unuaual for me giving him some encouragement and people in front of me turned around and glared at me! I felt strange after that and just cheered at goals!
I pay my money to go and encourage my team and its getting to a point where i feel i am the only one who wants to cheer!

swannieserin
26th June 2006, 02:39 PM
Haha I got a heap of glares from the elderly types in front of me.

Admittedly I was encouraging biffo and screaming at LRT to punch Rocca in his ugly mug. But at least I was passionate about it!

jenky28
26th June 2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
Haha I got a heap of glares from the elderly types in front of me.

Admittedly I was encouraging biffo and screaming at LRT to punch Rocca in his ugly mug. But at least I was passionate about it!
Id be cheering you on! Rocca is an over rated mummys boy!

giant
26th June 2006, 03:21 PM
God help me, I was sitting in a nest of Magpies fans. Meek lot tho - I was at my obnoxious worst & couldn't get a single bait other than the occasional muttered remark from behind me.

Northern_Swan
26th June 2006, 03:32 PM

At Quarter time the two people sitting in front of me moved. During the first quarter they were turning around every time i yelled and muttering about my loudness. Funnily enough one was sipping a chardonnay and one a nice red. Never heard a peep out of them all game.

Really. If you ain't gonna cheer whats the point in going??

ScottH
26th June 2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Northern_Swan
Really. If you ain't gonna cheer whats the point in going?? To enjoy the action on the ground??

stellation
26th June 2006, 03:47 PM
I like to dress up as an old woman then go to the football and ask people to be quiet.

Mel
26th June 2006, 05:18 PM
I was disappointed with how quiet the crowd was on Saturday night. For pretty much the entire first half there was silence. True, we weren't playing good, but seriously, it was soooooo quiet! One guy near me started cheering and the kids, mum and I joined in, but that was about it.

TheHood
26th June 2006, 05:53 PM
I only got heated once, when Rocca put that high hit on.

Other than that, my cheering was comensurate with the passion dispayed on the turf by the men in red and white. :(

Ruda Wakening
26th June 2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I like to dress up as an old woman then go to the football and ask people to be quiet.

I like to pretend i like older women with a hint of masculinity about them.

NMWBloods
26th June 2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Northern_Swan
Really. If you ain't gonna cheer whats the point in going?? To actually watch the game...?!?

dendol
26th June 2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
To actually watch the game...?!?
Most people watch AND cheer.

Northern_Swan
26th June 2006, 06:21 PM
To actually watch the game...?!?

Originally posted by ScottH
To enjoy the action on the ground??

You would think that would be a given... but to sit (or stand) mute at the game and show no emotion what so ever, it must make you wonder, wouldn't it?
Just ask any player, they would all say that they love it when the crowd gets involved, makes some noise etc. Would you prefer it to be like a Library...no talking allowed :rolleyes:

NMWBloods
26th June 2006, 06:28 PM
Of course you should cheer, but that's not why you go to the game.

Captain
26th June 2006, 06:37 PM
Of course you should cheer, but that's not why you go to the game.

Personally I don't care why people go to the game. It just annoys me that they expect to go to the game and be totally intolerant to other people making noise.

If someone is sitting there making no noise, I don't turn around and ask them to cheer and make more noise.

NMWBloods
26th June 2006, 06:39 PM
It just annoys me that they expect to go to the game and be totally intolerant to other people making noise. I think that's completely fair... unless you were being a feral like Janpa... ;)

goswannie14
26th June 2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mel
I was disappointed with how quiet the crowd was on Saturday night. For pretty much the entire first half there was silence. True, we weren't playing good, but seriously, it was soooooo quiet! One guy near me started cheering and the kids, mum and I joined in, but that was about it. It's because JF is in Germany and not at the games. Come to think of it we haven't won sonce JF went to Germany.:eek:

Mike_B
26th June 2006, 07:05 PM
I yelled and screamed as I usually do in the first half and even got a little excited by the first 10 mins of the 3rd quarter, but then with Collingwood kicking 8 of the next 9, took to my own version of the Aussie supporters chant against Croatia. Heard a few mutters saying support the team and all that (obvsiouly the people making those mutters hadn't heard me cheering). The little ditty was

We're Red, We're White, We're playing crap tonight, Sydney Swans, Sydney Swans!

Wardy
26th June 2006, 08:06 PM
A Swans supporter sitting behind us had a go at one of the girls (who was with us) and sat in front of us for putting her Barry Haul banner up (and it wasnt a large banner either) - I think she did it twice through out the game and this bloke just yelled at her saying" Its my game too and put the bloody sign down" - I just turned and gave him a filthy look - when she did it a third time I just said, loud enough for this pratt to hear "you'd better put the banner down Bec, the cranky bastard behind us will get the @@@@s again" - he heard it alright and there was not another peep out of him. As it turned out it was only held aloft 3 times anyway!

I think he was related to the cranky cow who sat in front of us at the grandfinal;)

ROK Lobster
26th June 2006, 08:09 PM
We were in the third row, NW pocket. When the bench boys came to do there stretches I yelled out to Benny and Chambers to sit down, they were blocking my view. Got a wry smile from Fossie and a vacant stare from Benny (which is more than the team got out of him the other night)

satchmopugdog
26th June 2006, 08:18 PM
I even say "Down in front" to the dog(renamed Benny) when he walks in front of the TV. It's just a silly saying that is traditional in our house.

The dog justs gives me a blank stare.........uncanny

cruiser
26th June 2006, 08:22 PM
I like to dress up as an old woman then go to the football and ask people to be quiet. That wouldnt require much dressing up though. ;)

If anyone told me to be quiet at the footy I'd just tell them they should stay home and watch it on TV (expletives deleted to keep the mods happy)

jazzamcc
26th June 2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe they should have a "no noise" section, like they do with the no alcohol sections. It would be fun trying to spot the person under 60!!:p
I must admit it did sound pretty quiet on Saturday night. The were only a small group of us in Aisle 107 that were cheering.

goswannie14
26th June 2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
We were in the third row, NW pocket. When the bench boys came to do there stretches I yelled out to Benny and Chambers to sit down, they were blocking my view. Got a wry smile from Fossie and a vacant stare from Benny (which is more than the team got out of him the other night) I love it!!!:D

NMWBloods
26th June 2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
We were in the third row, NW pocket. It did seem rather full...

swantastic
26th June 2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by jenky28
Thats funny you say that cos i felt the same thing on saturday nite. I screamed out to Crouchy which isnt unuaual for me giving him some encouragement and people in front of me turned around and glared at me! I felt strange after that and just cheered at goals!
I pay my money to go and encourage my team and its getting to a point where i feel i am the only one who wants to cheer! You know why,they are a bit lardy da up there in posh town(hahaha) not like us true supporters down in melbourne.Hang on,got to go got a big one on the line.

swantastic
27th June 2006, 12:00 AM
I like to dress up as an old woman then go to the football and ask people to be quiet. I thought you were on old women.

ScottH
27th June 2006, 08:17 AM
It did seem rather full... It, or him?

garethb83
27th June 2006, 01:37 PM
I've got one that might top those! There is a guy who sits at the end of my row, Swans member, both at SCG & Telstra. He goes to pretty much every game and barracks for the Swans.

On Saturday night, he sat there, berating our boys and cheering for the Pies.

Then, to top it off, when they slotted through a goal in the final quarter, and some Swans supporters got up to leave (poor form i might add in my opinion), he waved them goodbye and acted like a complete prat.

Massive poor form if you ask me, and i let him know about it. Told him if he fronted to go for the Swans vs Freo next week, i'd have to break my flag over his noggin...

garethb83
27th June 2006, 01:38 PM
Almost as good as those who live in Australia and vocally support teams we are playing against in the World Cup.

Turncoats...

Danzar
27th June 2006, 02:00 PM
Hardline view:

START RANT: Anyone who turns up to a game and watches in total silence is selfish.

Supporters support a team along with their peers - other supporters.

If you're vocal, you amplify the atmosphere.

If you're quiet, you isolate fellow supporters, who feel more exposed if they dare raise their voice above a grunt.

Get into it or, at the very least, let others do so.

If you don't like the noise of the crowd, stick your headphones in both ears, turn up the volume and listen to the radio commentary (or some Barry Manilow).

(The irony is, these complainers probably wouldn't listen to the radio because they feel it competes with the live noise of the game. Would that be crowd noise by chance?): END RANT

sydneyswans1989
28th June 2006, 03:03 PM

Nicely said, that reminds me of the Grand Final. I was sitting with the cheersquad & some old lady behind me kept telling me to sit down & be quite, i was confused because isnt a member of a cheersquad suppose to stand up, be loud & get involued with the chants. :confused:

some people have no idea.

tez
28th June 2006, 05:46 PM
Some people shld not go to the footy. They give little or no
encouragement to the team and get upset at those who do.

I think its a Sydney thing where many don't know how to
barrack at the footy and wld be more at home at the tennis or
croquet.

Danzar
28th June 2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by tez
Some people shld not go to the footy. They give little or no
encouragement to the team and get upset at those who do.

I think its a Sydney thing where many don't know how to
barrack at the footy and wld be more at home at the tennis or
croquet.

Are you stirring?

Sydney loves their lawn bowls :D

In all seriousness, we're still a pretty vocal bunch at the footy, here in Sydney. Granted, not as loud as Melbourne but louder than you would think.

Plebs who frown upon noice are an exception, not the rule.

arht
28th June 2006, 06:54 PM
This topic brings back memories of a Wallabies v All Blacks test I watched at the SFS in the late 80's ... they actually made an annoucement at the ground for the crowd to show consideration for the goal kickers and not make any noise whilst they were taking a kick ... gee, how things were different back then in the amateur days.

Well it was the 80's and we rarely won tests against the Blacks back then (actually, we still don't win now), so when Grant Fox lined up a kick from right in front of where we sitting, there was no way I was holding back ... he promptly missed and I was feeling suitably chuffed - but gee I copped plenty of abuse from those around me ... I am guessing it was probably the same Balmoral supporters you mentioned earlier - toot toot.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand ... cheer as loud as you want, if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else.

The Undertaker
28th June 2006, 10:21 PM
What really pisses me off is morons who sit near an area or in a area that is designated for cheering,banners etc(eg Cheersquad)and start whinging about the noise,cheering,banners etc.

Lost count of the amount of times that i was told to sit down.

EMJ
29th June 2006, 01:57 PM
I think many of you should come and join me on Sat night in the Brewongle - well done - obviously I am not alone in cheering on the team.

We have a great spot at Telstra - no one complains and I can cheer on all I want.

I have noted Danzars comments - thought I may use them this week - well said.

I am also one of the very few helping to prepare the banner tomorrow night for Saturday - so would like to comment to those people that dont like cheering - come along and show real support not the chardonnay set - I am sure my complainer is definitely one of them.