PDA

View Full Version : Spida

hammo
27th June 2006, 10:17 PM
Sydney must trade really hard for Spida at the end of the year. He's the missing ingredient for another flag.

We have a glutten of young midfielders that Roos either doesn't rate or doesn't want, so let's package a few off to Hawthorn and bring Spida to Sydney where he can have a shot at a Premiership, and increase our own chances of another flag.

The way I see it, the next few years will be our best chance in at least a decade with Hall and Goodesy at the height of their powers.

We miss Jason Ball badly. Chambers doesn't cut the mustard and we don't seem to have much coming through in terms of ruckmen. Everitt would be the perfect addition for 2 years.

Hawthorn will only be interested in young guys, preferably with some senior experience, so why not two of Bevan, McVeigh, Dempster, Moore, Schmidt, Willoughby. Some of these guys will be seeking trades anyway as they are not getting a fair go at Sydney.

Looking at this article, Spida will be open to a 2 year deal...
article (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19560609-23211,00.html)

Thoughts?

ROK Lobster
27th June 2006, 10:23 PM
Washed up has been, past his best. Broken down, crock. Would be lucky to get 15 games out of him. Would need to be the 2nd ruckman in which case he would be too expensive and I doubt he would be interested. I really wanted him to come to Sydney this year but watching him play I am glad he did not. Sorry Spider - it's too late.

bloodboy
27th June 2006, 10:28 PM
I totally agree that Spida is well past his best now. I too was on the 'let's get Spida' bandwagon at the start of the season, but I think he has definitely shown this year that the oldish legs are starting to give way. Admittedly, his stats have suffered this year because the Hawks are trying to blood their new young ruckman, so I do think there are definitely a few more 'handy' years left in the bloke. I think his pricetag would be way too high for what he would put back in to the team though...

573v30
28th June 2006, 12:13 AM
Recruiting veterans towards the end of their careers can be very risky and on many occasions it doesn't pay off. I personally think it's too late to pick him up but if he is available, I wouldn't be surprised he becomes a Swan in 2007. The reason for bringing in Spida is definitely to overcome the problem of rookie ruckmen taking a lot longer to bulk up and develop skills compared to midfielders, but if he develops a serious injury then it's not worth it. If he's recruited, I hope it doesn't turn out like many of Freo's misfortunes in the past...

Jeffers1984
28th June 2006, 09:17 AM
Nah, would rather draft that ruckman Luenberger from WA who looks to be a ready made ruckman next year. AND ISN'T UNCO!

swansrock4eva
28th June 2006, 09:41 AM
Hell, no! Buying a temporary solution solves nothing in the long-term, and does nothing for the development of our young guys. Time to let them shine if there's that much concern about our current ruck stocks.

C-Train
28th June 2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by swansrock4eva
Hell, no! Buying a temporary solution solves nothing in the long-term, and does nothing for the development of our young guys. Time to let them shine if there's that much concern about our current ruck stocks.

Depends on price... maybe a short term fix until we can groom a younger guy to learn from him...

swansrock4eva
28th June 2006, 10:21 AM
but how many "short-term fixes" come off in reality? If we scammed him for nothing in the draft, maybe, but a risk beyond that is not worth it. If we haven't already groomed the likes of Shaw and Erickson by now, we never will and we're better starting from scratch in the draft and spending money a new rucking coach.

gloveski
28th June 2006, 11:59 AM
we have more holes than just the rucking division, Spidas past his best anyway

giant
28th June 2006, 12:12 PM
Bring him on - would've preferred him this year but still has plenty he could contribute to this team - at the right price of course. Surplus midfielder plus 2nd round draft pick sounds about right.

Jeffers1984
28th June 2006, 12:15 PM
We really need to keep our first 2 draft picks this year as the crop is very deep. In fact i think we really should start to maybe consider trading one or 2 of our established premiership players who are expendable for some nice draft picks. Don't shoot me but we need to start thinking about life after our stars in Leo, Barry and Krik. Hall especially.

NMWBloods
28th June 2006, 12:16 PM
One of our biggest 'holes' is the one that's pretty much always been there. Our good is very good, our bad is very bad. We are not one of the naturally most talented teams in the competition. Rather we are very well drilled.

This means that when we are playing well and our game plan is being executed very well plus the opposition is letting us do that, we are cruising nicely. I think this year we are executing this better than at any other time when things are going right.

When things don't go to plan we can fall to pieces. Some of the problems include an inability to do something different and think our way out of a proble and lack of natural talent and game breakers. In the past we have managed to limit the downside and fight our way back into games through sheer intensity, hard work, ferocious tackling and a never-say-die attitude. Not all the time, but more often than not.

This year the big difference is this limiting effect has not been fully functional. It seems that some of the team is believing the hype about them being the reigning premiers and do not remember some of the key ingredients of that success.

Having said all that, recruiting or developing some more talent in the midfield, including rucks, would help limit the downside and produce more positive performances.

TheHood
28th June 2006, 09:36 PM
Beware the coach that is looking for that extra player to get them the flag!

Flag's are not one by a recruit at this level. That talk is reserved for VFA, SFA etc

Roosy's 4 flag plan was not based around topping up rusk stocks here and there and the rest will take care of itself.

I would much rather a healthy introduction of keen, talented, disciplined young men to the ranks of AFL at a club their heart beats for every day.

2006 is a little inconsistent, partly based on the emotions surrounding the success of 2005, however this will work itself out.

What we are really talking about here is that players will drop form (a few at a time) and they need to be addressed, most of our boys will regain their composure soon enough.

Shaw and Erikson will hopefully stand tall soon.

Legs Akimbo
28th June 2006, 09:59 PM
We should recruit him only on the basis of a direct swap for Torture.

dread and might
29th June 2006, 11:23 AM
Chambers and Spriggs.

Bas
29th June 2006, 03:08 PM
Spida said on the tele other day, may have been on WLF that he was definately staying with the Hawks next year and was working on a year extension.

So you can forget about him.

However his younger brother by 17 yrs was playing in the Under 18's Vic metro side and he looks a very good proposition. I think I'd draft him instead. Much cheaper. Also nicknamed Spida and has dreadlocks

Jeffers1984
29th June 2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Bas
Spida said on the tele other day, may have been on WLF that he was definately staying with the Hawks next year and was working on a year extension.

So you can forget about him.

However his younger brother by 17 yrs was playing in the Under 18's Vic metro side and he looks a very good proposition. I think I'd draft him instead. Much cheaper. Also nicknamed Spida and has dreadlocks
Yep Andrejas Everitt i think his name is. Tall skinny backman with good disposal and polish. Looks very classy indeed.

Bas
29th June 2006, 03:36 PM
I couldn't think of his first name. Sleep deprived after last night's Coldplay concert.