PDA

View Full Version : Newbies

ScottH
1st July 2006, 11:14 PM
Moore had a few good touches, some quick hands in the last q. Seemed to do a lot of chasing. Got crunched a few times.

Vogels kicked a nice goal. Seemed to do a lot of chasing. Got crunched a few times.

Bevan was OK. Read the play well, took some good marks in defence. Got quite a few touches. Seemed to do well on Headland, and just as well on Farmer.

Bevan 3.
Vogels 2.
Moore 1.

satchmopugdog
1st July 2006, 11:21 PM
Are those your TLM votes?

ScottH
1st July 2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
Are those your TLM votes? Newbie Votes. Bevan wasn't that good.

C-Train
1st July 2006, 11:25 PM
Luke has earnt a spot for next week...

ugg
1st July 2006, 11:40 PM
All provided something tonight, excellent to see. Anyone know how the oldies (Mathews, Teddy and Torture) went?

elroy67
2nd July 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure what role Dempster plays in the side, but surely his position must go to Malceski when he is available.

CureTheSane
2nd July 2006, 12:12 AM
Thought Moore was weak at times tonight.

Didn't chase hard enough for my liking.

Better get used to the pace of the seniors quickly.....

wyatt
2nd July 2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Thought Moore was weak at times tonight.

Didn't chase hard enough for my liking.

Better get used to the pace of the seniors quickly..... Small forward is one of the most difficult positions to play on the ground. I thought Moore was pretty good at getting to the the right place a number of times. He didn't handle the ball as cleanly as he would've liked, but it will take more than 40 minutes (?) of senior football to get accustomed to the speed.

I also thought Vogels was very servicable - held up his end whether as a forward or a back. Significant improvement over Ted.

Roscoe
2nd July 2006, 09:34 AM
CTS you are kidding about Moore - he had a hand in a couple of goals with his assists. He is a mid fielder who was playing out of position

Must be retained for next week and beyond

Grant
2nd July 2006, 10:14 AM
All 3 deserve to stay for next week.All did much better than the guys they replaced.Even LRT did better in the ruck than Torture.

CureTheSane
2nd July 2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Roscoe
CTS you are kidding about Moore - he had a hand in a couple of goals with his assists. He is a mid fielder who was playing out of position

Must be retained for next week and beyond

Yep, I was harsh.
He did ok.

BigBadBarryNo1
2nd July 2006, 11:52 AM
Bevan really made up for the downtime that Mathews created.

Moore made a flying tackle and aggression on the HF wing and is really starting to show his class. I suspect he didn't get into the heart of the action more so because he was placed into a position to make leads for a FF movement. He really played some smart and fast footy.

Vogels is fighting fit and ready for action. His legspeed and tackling has really improved.

------------

Although I've been worried about Kirk / Bolton in the clearances for some time now, I really think that LRT made up for that in doing a "Goodesy-style ruck / rover" clearance in the 3rd quarter. It allowed Goodesy to run around the ground too. Certainly the losses in the clearances made Dockers get into the ruck and stop their stupid flooding which was stuffing up our kicking. Add on the fact that our forwards stopped playing around with the ball inside 50m arc by the 4th quarter we figured out a way to crack it back.

Crows and Eagles of course will be an entirely different story....

Legs Akimbo
2nd July 2006, 12:12 PM
Moore demonstrated more skill than Matthews, being pivotal in a couple of goals with defts hands in tight situations. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of those quick hands in future years and would love to see him given more responsibility

Bevan showed he has focus and stamina to hold a good player in check. Something Mathews has failed to do for a while. Aside from one glaring mistake under a lot of pressure, his disposal was much much better than Mathews as well.

Vogels looked a little lost early, but his goal and some of his assists demonstrate that he has considerably more skill than Ted Richards and makes better decisions under pressure. He's the sort of player that is nice to have around because he can plug different holes.

I guess when Crouch comes back, probably Moore will drop out, which is a shame. As for Mathews, well I think he should be considering life after football. Trade value?

I think there is hope for Ted Richards yet, but it is interesting that exactly the same thing as happened at Essendon has transpired at the Swans (wants to play as a forward, plays most time as a defender, ends up in the reserves). I am struggling to think of a role for him other than as third tall defender.

Chambers, the less said about that debacle the better. LRT showed last night that Roos' experiment in blind optimism was misguided. Nice try but no cigar.

I like Dempster. I think his main issue is that he doesn't get enough of the ball, but he is a good tagger. Like others before him, I am sure his ongoing development will lead to greater ballwinning ability. When he runs forward and kicks long, he is the the much lauded '80m player'.

swannieserin
2nd July 2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ugg
All provided something tonight, excellent to see. Anyone know how the oldies (Mathews, Teddy and Torture) went?

Yes, as promised I was there for reserves. They played half and half (ie, both teams were half Swans, half SFL dev team). It was quite confusing at times.

Ted was the best by FAR in the game, IMO. Not only did he take control of the game (particularly in the 4th quarter), but he was relaying instructions to everybody, almost like a captain/coach. He played FF for the final quarter, and spent the downtime giving instructions to the kid playing FB on him about how to defend.

Chambers rucked against Shaw. I didn't notice a standout performance by either of them.

Mathews did all the things that he does in Seniors ... in the reserves. Turnovers and the like. He kicked a goal and lined it up beautifully, otherwise he was fairly woeful. He was tagging/being tagged by Schmidt.

Ted should be playing seniors. He was too good for that.

NMWBloods
2nd July 2006, 12:41 PM
This description of reserves is a major worry. Very tough to develop players in a virtual training run.

swannieserin
2nd July 2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
This description of reserves is a major worry. Very tough to develop players in a virtual training run.

It was a shambles. And at 1/4 time etc, the teams split into ACTUAL swans and ACTUAL SFL dev team for coaching - so there were two groups of blue and red blobs.

The best part was that about half of the 200 or so people there didn't realise that the teams were split 1/2 and 1/2.

Doyle kicked some good goals for SFL dev team. I think his fitness is improving.

adnar
2nd July 2006, 01:36 PM
Actually I think it was probaly a good idea, especially to see shaw Vs Torture, Matthews Vs Schmidt etc

nomae
2nd July 2006, 01:50 PM
can someone pleeeeeeeease tell me what IMO means? :confused:

bricon
2nd July 2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by nomae

In my opinion, IMO is short for "In My Opinion" - don't just take my word for it though, it's just IMO.

Nico
2nd July 2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by nomae

What you do is preface everything with IMO. That way you dont cop a bake everytime you dare to give an opinion about a player.

swannieserin
2nd July 2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by adnar
Actually I think it was probaly a good idea, especially to see shaw Vs Torture, Matthews Vs Schmidt etc

Sorry I probably didn't word it well - it was a good idea, and it was game time when they had a bye in the ACTAFL.

In fact, the game yesterday was quite close and probably benefitted all involved far more than a 100+ thrashing of an ACTAFL team.

ugg
2nd July 2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
It was a shambles. And at 1/4 time etc, the teams split into ACTUAL swans and ACTUAL SFL dev team for coaching - so there were two groups of blue and red blobs.

The best part was that about half of the 200 or so people there didn't realise that the teams were split 1/2 and 1/2.

Doyle kicked some good goals for SFL dev team. I think his fitness is improving.

Thanks for that. Its baffling to hear that Schmidt was fit and wasn't even an emergency for the seniors game.

Do you know the result of the AFL Canberra v AFL Sydney game?

swannieserin
2nd July 2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Thanks for that. Its baffling to hear that Schmidt was fit and wasn't even an emergency for the seniors game.

Do you know the result of the AFL Canberra v AFL Sydney game?

The ACT won quite convincingly. I didn't watch it all because to be honest, it wasn't very good. The first half was particularly bad.

goswannie14
2nd July 2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by elroy67
I'm not sure what role Dempster plays in the side, but surely his position must go to Malceski when he is available. You want Malceski to spend most of the night on the bench! I don't think Dempster got much of game time.

goswannie14
2nd July 2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Nico
What you do is preface everything with IMO. That way you dont cop a bake everytime you dare to give an opinion about a player. You can also be humble about it. IMHO, works really well too.;)

ScottH
2nd July 2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
You can also be humble about it. IMHO, works really well too.;) You use that when you are not sure if your opinion is right.

swantastic
2nd July 2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
You use that when you are not sure if your opinion is right. That means i should use IMHO all the time:cool:

elroy67
3rd July 2006, 12:27 AM
You want Malceski to spend most of the night on the bench! I don't think Dempster got much of game time.

Well, no, not if that is his role. But in that case we may as well have Chambers in the side so someone can justify draftng him.

smasher
3rd July 2006, 07:53 AM
IMO Dempster is too slow.He got away with it last year but it is very obvious this year.They are saying the pace of the game has quickened.
Vogels really looks the good to me.He's a very fluent footballer.
Young Moore has a very quick footy brain,that was displayed with his clean,slick handballs in the fina lquarter.
I thought Bevan did his job well.
After seeing some of the Adelaide game yesterday,they look like the team to beat and will really test us.

Gary
3rd July 2006, 10:35 AM
Vogels...if he had been played ahead of Richards all year we would now really know what he is...but again on Saturday he showed more than enough to be given an extended run. Can't believe some on here soooooo impressed by Ted in reserves. IMO all of us would look good once we found "our level"...in my case, almost 60 with a bit of residual pace!

Moore...nice touches yes...but perhaps lacks pace..deserves another couple of games at least so we know whether to persevere.

Bevan / Dempster...there is perhaps one player between them...but I don't have the wisdom of Solomon to work out the answer as to which one, & an operation is probably out of the question!

goswannie14
3rd July 2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
That means i should use IMHO all the time:cool: Hmmmm......me too.;)

Lucky Knickers
3rd July 2006, 10:52 AM
I was disappointed at the game in all newbies performances.

Watching the replay - perhaps I was a little harsh. However, none of them chased hard enough and all looked lost by the speed of seniors footy.

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd July 2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
I like Dempster. I think his main issue is that he doesn't get enough of the ball, but he is a good tagger. Like others before him, I am sure his ongoing development will lead to greater ballwinning ability. When he runs forward and kicks long, he is the the much lauded '80m player'.

He doesn't rack up a lot of stats, and I think last years run with role is Roos getting him to follow a well trodden path of development. He spent an awfull lot of time on the bench last night but his 70 metre "pass" to MOL in the third quarter was sensational, pity MOL dropped it.

As most people have observed Bevan, Vogels and Moore also eared another week.

swantastic
3rd July 2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
I was disappointed at the game in all newbies performances.

Watching the replay - perhaps I was a little harsh. However, none of them chased hard enough and all looked lost by the speed of seniors footy. Like i have said in the past seniors very diffrent from magoos,and every one on here crying out for magoos to get run,i thought they where ok/good on weekend.

Old Royboy
3rd July 2006, 11:38 AM
Some here are pretty hard to please. There?s a lot of moaning about the poor standard of the Canberra comp, but if a player is promoted and does not immediately adjust to senior standard he gets bagged. I hope they are given a few weeks to find their feet.

I like the way young Moore is progressing. Sure, he has faults but he has quick, clean hands & makes good decisions in heavy traffic. He'll take a while because like Monty he is a footballer first and an athlete second.

I only saw the last quarter and a bit of the reserves, but I thought the scratch match was a good idea. From what I saw, Shaw was more than a match for Torture ? hit outs were evenly shared, but Earl?s went to a teammate where Torture?s as usual went anywhere. Mathews is still selling dumps. Donkey played nearly the full game (at ff) without getting hurt. Both Jack and Phillips got themselves leg/ankle injuries ? think Keiren was on crutches.

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd July 2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by smasher
IMO Dempster is too slow.He got away with it last year but it is very obvious this year.They are saying the pace of the game has quickened.
I disagree. Dempster has plenty of pace (and great endurance) it's just less apparent over the first few steps. He's 6ft3 after all, and very few players of that height have off the mark speed.
On the other side of the coin some people have criticised Moore for a lack of legspeed, but his little legs make him quite quick off the mark but perhaps let hm down in a long chase down a flank.

liz
3rd July 2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
I disagree. Dempster has plenty of pace (and great endurance) it's just less apparent over the first few steps. He's 6ft3 after all, and very few players of that height have off the mark speed.

I suspect Dempster's "issue" is more than he doesn't read the play particularly well at the moment, with the result that his reaction times can look slow. When he has the ball in hand and is in space, there doesn't look to be much wrong with his footspeed, nor with his decision making process.

Hopefully he will get better reading the game with experience, and it is to teach young players where to run and how to win the ball that they are very often started off as taggers on the best players in the comp, even when they don't seem to be naturally suited to such a role.

Sanecow
3rd July 2006, 12:26 PM
You want Malceski to spend most of the night on the bench! I don't think Dempster got much of game time.

It's the best place to pout.

elroy67
3rd July 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by liz
I suspect Dempster's "issue" is more than he doesn't read the play particularly well at the moment, with the result that his reaction times can look slow. When he has the ball in hand and is in space, there doesn't look to be much wrong with his footspeed, nor with his decision making process.

I think Dempster is generally pretty cool under pressure, and he has a great kick which reminds me of Mark Bayes. That said, He does seem a little like a square peg in a round hole.

ScottH
3rd July 2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
Some here are pretty hard to please. There?s a lot of moaning about the poor standard of the Canberra comp, but if a player is promoted and does not immediately adjust to senior standard he gets bagged. I hope they are given a few weeks to find their feet.

I like the way young Moore is progressing. Sure, he has faults but he has quick, clean hands & makes good decisions in heavy traffic. He'll take a while because like Monty he is a footballer first and an athlete second. Very true ORB. It will be good to see how Moore(and the others) is going after 3-5 games in a row.

Danzar
3rd July 2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ugg
It's possible Roos was keeping Schmidt in reserve, ready to unleash the guy against the Crows on Sunday.

Possible?

TheHood
3rd July 2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Danzar
It's possible Roos was keeping Schmidt in reserve, ready to unleash the guy against the Crows on Sunday.

Possible?

Impossible.

hammo
3rd July 2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Danzar

Possible?
Very puzzling about Schmidt. Maybe Roos will play him against the Crows so they can see first hand what they'll be offered in trade week.

I thought Dempster struggled a bit on Saturday but all the others were impressive at various times.

BarneyG
3rd July 2006, 02:06 PM
Newbie Votes. Bevan wasn't that good.

You have got to be joking, Bevan totally shutdown Farmer from start to finish, a fantastic tagging roll. Even Roos noticed how well he did.

Danzar
3rd July 2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
Impossible.
Why?

Legs Akimbo
3rd July 2006, 02:29 PM

I like the way young Moore is progressing. Sure, he has faults but he has quick, clean hands & makes good decisions in heavy traffic. He'll take a while because like Monty he is a footballer first and an athlete second.

Note sure about Monty not being an athlete. In the last few matches he has displayed some amazing pace. The way he burnt off Gio from the Bulldogs just blew me away. The thing is he deoesn't look quick, but I think that is deceptive.

Moore, I think is slow, but that's okay. When he first arrived, people were talking about him being like Harvey. In many ways he reminds me more of Greg Williams. However, I suspect his biggest challence is that both Williams and Harvey were / are elite endurance athletes, which by all accounts, Moore is not. That will be his biggest challenge.

ScottH
3rd July 2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by BarneyG
You have got to be joking, Bevan totally shutdown Farmer from start to finish, a fantastic tagging roll. Even Roos noticed how well he did. :confused: While I agree he did a good job on Farmer and Headland, I don't think he rated for any BOG votes.

ugg
3rd July 2006, 02:49 PM
:confused: While I agree he did a good job on Farmer and Headland, I don't think he rated for any BOG votes.
Not according to Roos

I thought Bevo was probably in our best three or four on the ground
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/roos-impressed-by-young-bloods/2006/07/02/1151778812999.html

ScottH
3rd July 2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Not according to Roos

http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/roos-impressed-by-young-bloods/2006/07/02/1151778812999.html
1) I was referring to my decisions on the votes.

2) we all know Roos is full of @@@@. ;)

Ruck'n'Roll
3rd July 2006, 04:50 PM
From what I saw, Shaw was more than a match for Torture ? hit outs were evenly shared, but Earl?s went to a teammate where Torture?s as usual went anywhere.

Despite all the meat-axe talk, ruckwork is a subtle game, too subtle for some observers. I too noticed the accuracy of Earl's tapwork.
Good tapwork isn't everything (look at Matty Clarke) but when you see an 19 year old Sydney kid spoon feeding his grassburners the way Earl does, you can't help but notice it(especially as Sydney kids don't get the best tuition).