PDA

View Full Version : Lrt

motorace_182
23rd July 2006, 12:11 AM
Absolutely smashed Richo tonight!! So good to see him being able to take on the big name forwards and dominate. Admittedly Richo was out of sorts and having a poor night, but Lewy never gave an inch!

Other thoughts:
Grundy vs Mathews... Poor Benny is back in the 2s next week.
O'Loughlin has got over the stresses of pregnancy and can kick straight again
Goodes is a level above any other player out there
Darren Jolly needs a rocket up the arse. Or a heart transplant to replace his dead one. Cos he just doesnt give anything. Id take Chambers any day. Although Torture is pathetic around the ground, he will give a contest at all rucks. He will through his body in there. Jolly is soft and precious.

Good game but.

nomae
23rd July 2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by motorace_182
Although Torture is pathetic around the ground, he will give a contest at all rucks. He will through his body in there. Jolly is soft and precious.

good points beforehand, but 28 hit-outs to jolly isn't good enough?
and it was good to see LRT do well- did you see his mark in the third (?) quarter with one arm being held? it was awesome :cool:

SWANSBEST
23rd July 2006, 12:21 AM
I noticed that the great Torture was named on the bench for the Reserves today.

motorace_182
23rd July 2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by nomae
good points beforehand, but 28 hit-outs to jolly isn't good enough?
and it was good to see LRT do well- did you see his mark in the third (?) quarter with one arm being held? it was awesome :cool:

Yeah he is gettin hit outs, but they arent going anywhere! He doesnt hit to advantage. Id love to see some stat on the % of stats to adv compared to non-adv, because he just cant get it to our guys. And also we have that many ball ups, we are sure to have a lot of chances for him to win taps.
The bloke gets off so easy. Every week someone will bag Kirk of O'Loghlin and this guy gets away. He doesnt pull his weight. He will be the first to cry at an umpire and is still living in the deram of 2005. He needs a wake up call to re-find his form of last year.

ugg
23rd July 2006, 12:46 AM
What a mark he took in the 3rd quarter (I think it was the 3rd). Never mind that he meant to kick it :D

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by motorace_182
Darren Jolly needs a rocket up the arse. Good game but. I thought DJ was pretty good tonight 28 hitouts,and you would take chambers any day thats a crack up.IMO benny is moving house from #1 to #2 permently grundy was good and next week ND back cant wait for that forward line.:)

Sanecow
23rd July 2006, 02:02 PM
LRT was in career best form against Richmond. Ripped Richo a new one, then sewed it up and fed him prunes. Or something.

ugg
23rd July 2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/22/1153166637351.html

Mark of the year. Close the competition, its all over.

Dave
23rd July 2006, 02:07 PM
I actually look forward to LRT getting a touch these days...;)

ScottH
23rd July 2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ugg
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/07/22/1153166637351.html

Mark of the year. Close the competition, its all over. It was remarkable, but I thought Leo's unpaid mark(due to a free) was the best of the night.

Big Al
23rd July 2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
LRT was in career best form against Richmond. Ripped Richo a new one, then sewed it up and fed him prunes. Or something.

Nice visual. :D

Accurate though.

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
It was remarkable, but I thought Leo's unpaid mark(due to a free) was the best of the night. That mark was Grand Final all over again.:)

ScottH
23rd July 2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
That mark was Grand Final all over again.:) Was pretty similar.

woo
23rd July 2006, 08:01 PM
LRT had a cracker as well.....man that grab was awesome....Richo didn't know where he was most of the game, and how much did I cheer with he got that touch in the final quarter. I haven't enjoyed a game for a while , last night was great!

garethb83
23rd July 2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by ugg

Great journalism there. It was a two word banner and they still got it wrong. From where i was sitting it actually said 'Save Nick', i know i'm being petty, but you could actually report it right if its going to be in inverted commas??

Gary
23rd July 2006, 09:16 PM
Well done LRT...confidence even seems to be overwhelming confusion. I'm on board.

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Was pretty similar. Who said Leo was over rated,they have got @@@@ for brains.

LRTs Love Child
23rd July 2006, 09:30 PM
The one-armed mark was a gem! He also pulled out some soccer skills that went missed. I delightful back-heel trap while wrestling with Richo at half forward in the 2nd quarter I think it was.

ScottH
23rd July 2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by LRTs Love Child
The one-armed mark was a gem! He also pulled out some soccer skills that went missed. I delightful back-heel trap while wrestling with Richo at half forward in the 2nd quarter I think it was. Thats right wrestled Richo away from the ball then stuck the boot out. Excellent play.

craigusvegas
23rd July 2006, 10:07 PM
I think we are seeing a real changing of the guard. richo looked totally out of his league. give LRT the credit, but the game has passed richo and more than a few other once greats by this year.

one of the most recognisable leaps forward in terms of general gameplay since barassi's "handball at all costs".

having said that LRT has stepped up a gear or two - akin to the great irishman last year. when the ball goes down his way there is now confidence - well done big fella - and he is looking much bigger - he overshadowed richo!

GoBloods
23rd July 2006, 10:09 PM
LRT is very under rated and keeps getting better each week . He will prove his worth to the swans in the years to come.Well done LRT

liz
23rd July 2006, 10:17 PM
There's a pretty strong argument that LRT is now one of the top 5 most important players in the team - not one of the five best, but probably so in terms of importance.

GoBloods
23rd July 2006, 10:36 PM
he is not in the best 5 nor the most important 5 , but a young player learning to be consistent

dendol
23rd July 2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods
he is not in the best 5 nor the most important 5 , but a young player learning to be consistent
Im pretty sure a very convincing arguemtn could be put up that LRT is one of our most important 5 at the moment. Many of our other players are interchangeable with each other (midfielders, HF/HB flankers), but we've always had a problem with height in defence. LRT is doing a great job atm playing on the big talls forwards of the comp.

Rizzo
23rd July 2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ugg

Weagles fans talk about Sampi being infringed during the 'mark of the century'... look at this one! Both of the Swans jumpers are being held.

dimelb
23rd July 2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ugg

And with his eyes closed and one hand behind his back!

melbloods78
24th July 2006, 12:39 AM
LRT had great games both times against Richmond this year. Was interested to read in the Record at the early 2006 richmond game that he was an under-19s Australia player against Ireland in same team as Judd and the like.

And should have been a Norm Smith medalist as well !!!!!

ScottH
24th July 2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by liz
There's a pretty strong argument that LRT is now one of the top 5 most important players in the team - not one of the five best, but probably so in terms of importance. He is also seen quite often these days marshalling the troops, so he appears to be moving up in the leadership ranks too.

bigswan
24th July 2006, 10:34 AM
LRT goes from strength to strength. What was the rubbish I read about Jolly. He's had a terrific season and will be even better next year given the experience he's had this year ruckinhg virtually one-out.

Ruck'n'Roll
24th July 2006, 12:36 PM
Some Tiger fans had snuck into our area and they were having fits about LRT. So good to see.
BTW did anyone notice that Richardson began his day on LRT with niggles and elbows? I've said it before but lRT really plays ghis best when an opponent "catches his attention" in this way.

tez
24th July 2006, 12:50 PM
I must confess that I considered LRT to be our weak link,
but he has stepped up a level and developed into a good
defender and useful ruckman, when required.

SimonH
24th July 2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Im pretty sure a very convincing arguemtn could be put up that LRT is one of our most important 5 at the moment. Many of our other players are interchangeable with each other (midfielders, HF/HB flankers), but we've always had a problem with height in defence. LRT is doing a great job atm playing on the big talls forwards of the comp. Absolutely right.

In fact, he would be among the 3 hardest to replace, along with BBBH and the defensive general Leo.

While Goodes is among our most valuable, his role is basically a 'one off' designed for him alone, and so we wouldn't even try to ask someone to play his role if he were injured. We would fail without the 'hard-ball-get team' of Bucky, JBolt and Kirk, but none of them is irreplaceable as individuals. ROK is crucial (and underrated) as the inside 50s machine (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?yr=2006&rt=LT&fc=E4), but others could be trained up to take his role. (Did anyone else notice Dempster spending time in the forward line on Sat night? Just following his man, or a taste of things to come?)

If we lose LRT, the options for the opposition's big-scary-Richo-style CHF/FF are:
? Leo, whose career gets shortened by another 2 weeks every time he has to line up on someone 6 inches taller than him; and we look like a far better side with Leo freed up to play a more coordinating/creative role, anyway
? CBolt, who is better suited to the opposition's #2 (or #3) forward
? Vogels, who can help out at a pinch for parts of quarters but at the moment doesn't have the experience (or, perhaps, fitness) to sustain the job across a whole match
? Richards, who is a real Saddo-type in that he doesn't have the bulk and/or the ability to use it, and would get outmuscled every time.

So LRT is da man. I haven't looked at the stats, but I would guess that (along with Leo, Keneally and CBolt) he gets very little time on the pine to recharge each match, as well. He's a very fit dude. Kudos to him for having come a long way very very fast.

That said, Richo looked half-fit and half-interested on Sat night (which he does about half the time!) so was always ripe for a towelling

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by tez
I must confess that I considered LRT to be our weak link,
but he has stepped up a level and developed into a good
defender and useful ruckman, when required.

I still like him as a second ruckman. Apparently he completely turned the match against Freo when moved there.

Offensively he is still a bit of a nigtmare. He stands there and cannot decide where to dispose the ball and to whom. He fires off too many hospital handballs when placed under pressure coming out of defense. Hopefully that is something the coaching staff can work on.

Defensively he'd be up there as one of the best nullifying defenders in the league. He can take on a high marking tall forward & completely shut them out of the game. His spoiling and defensive positioning is just sensational.

I have nicknamed him 'the Gazelle'. With his hair flying around everywhere. he really is a work of art coming out of defence. ;)

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
(Did anyone else notice Dempster spending time in the forward line on Sat night? Just following his man, or a taste of things to come?)

I noticed it more against the Eagles where he used his considerable pace to bolt through half forward and slot a great 1st quarter goal. I guess Roos is being flexible, knowing that he somehow has to fit the returning Malceski onto our half forward line as well. (And due to a certain player no longer playing in the seniors, there ARE opportunities on the HF line at the moment! :p )

Did anyone else find it really interesting to see Craig Bolton running to goal as well during the Richmond match? I have always thought that he has potential as a future onballer. (and due to the omission of a certain player who was possibly mooted as midfield potential, there are definite openings given Willo's departure.) He is fast, he has probably the best kick in the side along with Tiger. Does anyone think that (C) Bolts could be used on the ball? Or even in a forward role himself?

JF

Mel
24th July 2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Does anyone think that (C) Bolts could be used on the ball? Or even in a forward role himself?

JF

No. He's far too valuble to us in the backline to consider moving him elsewhere. Why would we look at moving him from the backline into the midfield when we have a number of midfielders waiting in the wings?

Gary
24th July 2006, 03:03 PM
Ya gotta know your limitations...B2 is a backman.
Re LRT IMO the last few weeks have seen a reduction in crazy running / disposal...certainly some of his dashes have been Barryesque without the unnecessary pirouettes!

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 03:31 PM
Does anyone think that (C) Bolts could be used on the ball? Or even in a forward role himself? No. He's a backman.

motorace_182
24th July 2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Richard Davis
What was the rubbish I read about Jolly. He's had a terrific season and will be even better next year given the experience he's had this year ruckinhg virtually one-out.

Watch the game bra. He is crap. His efforts around the ground are as bad as Chambers. He is lazy and plays as if his @@@@@ doesnt stink. In the ruck he will never go to belt the ball. When he wins a tap and gets it down it never hits a target. It is easily read by opposing midfielders or is totall off line. He never taps to advantage. He has not had a 'terrific season'. He has been our biggest passenger. Either get a heart and play for this team like he should or go swap with Chambers, because at least he will give a whole hearted contest.
And Jollys work around the ground... anyone remember his last contested mark? He doesnt dominate packs down back or aound the ground like he did last year. Drop him if he has lost the desire.

tez
24th July 2006, 05:15 PM
I have nicknamed him 'the Gazelle'. With his hair flying around everywhere. he really is a work of art coming out of defence. ;)

JF [/B][/QUOTE]

More like a windmill with all arms and legs flailing.

cruiser
24th July 2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Im pretty sure a very convincing arguemtn could be put up that LRT is one of our most important 5 at the moment. I think that he has become the cornerstone of our backline this year - and who'd have thought we'd be giving him such praise 12 months ago. Full credit to the selectors for ignoring RWO ;)

nomae
24th July 2006, 09:51 PM
Does anyone think that (C) Bolts could be used on the ball? Or even in a forward role himself?

JF
yes!!! whenever b2 has a stint up forward he kicks a goal or two (geelong). a bit like adam hunter... except i hate adam hunter. but i think craig should go forward more often when we need a goal. very, very good backman tho.

cruiser
24th July 2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
Weagles fans talk about Sampi being infringed during the 'mark of the century'... l Weagkles fans are the biggest, most spoilt cry babies in the AFL. They even booed the umps at the end of the game against us 8 days ago.!

ScottH
25th July 2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
I think that he has become the cornerstone of our backline this year - and who'd have thought we'd be giving him such praise 12 months ago. Full credit to the selectors for ignoring RWO ;) What, do you think the selectors know more than us??

RogueSwan
26th July 2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Full credit to the selectors for ignoring RWO ;)
I just wish I could sometimes, but I keep hitting [RELOAD] just in case something interesting pops up.