PDA

View Full Version : Reggie

ugg
23rd July 2006, 12:33 AM
Grundy what a debut! I liked his holding off of Bowden before marking it. Exactly what he has been doing in the reserves.

PS Reggi, time to dump the LRT avatar. There's a new hero in town.

swans05
23rd July 2006, 12:38 AM
top effort looks a handy type

Big Al
23rd July 2006, 12:41 AM
A dream debut for the kid. Contributed more in one game than Benny has for the whole season.

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by ugg
Grundy what a debut! Relax people 1st game plenty of 1st gamers do well then fade into oblivian,dont jinx him.

timbo
23rd July 2006, 10:10 AM
finally we have a rising star nominee!

when was the last time we had one?

Mike_B
23rd July 2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by timbo
finally we have a rising star nominee!

when was the last time we had one?

I am not expecting to have Reg get the nomination this week - apart from Rd 1/2 they seem to wait for players to string a few games together first.

Last Rising Star nominee would have been Paul Bevan.

barry
23rd July 2006, 10:53 AM
It must have been a game plan to make him the go-to man in the forward line. Richmond would have been double teaming hall and MOL, leaving Grundy with the lesser defender. Good plan, and Grundy stepped up to the challange.

Sanecow
23rd July 2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Last Rising Star nominee would have been Paul Bevan.

Bodes well.

Dave
23rd July 2006, 02:14 PM
I can't find any mention of him yet so here it is.

What a debut.

He looks like a seasoned performer already.

nomae
23rd July 2006, 02:19 PM
yeah i thought he was great but there is already a thread on him.
Reggie thread (http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15379)

hammo
23rd July 2006, 02:20 PM
A great debut. It shows form in the 2nds can be carried into seniors despite the weak Canberra comp. Now if only Schmidt and Willoughby were also given a chance to impress.

Dave
23rd July 2006, 02:21 PM
I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I should have guessed the Reg Grundy thing.

desredandwhite
23rd July 2006, 02:51 PM
Just merging the threads guys (and managed not to delete everything. Hooray!)

Nico
23rd July 2006, 03:06 PM
Blight commented on his forward defensive skills and he also had no problem working up the ground. 106 minutes says his fitness is good too.

So was Phillip's fitness good which says IMHO that the squad fitness regardless of the 2's comp standard, is pretty even.

liz
23rd July 2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Blight commented on his forward defensive skills and he also had no problem working up the ground. 106 minutes says his fitness is good too.

So was Phillip's fitness good which says IMHO that the squad fitness regardless of the 2's comp standard, is pretty even.

Phillips would have been very fit before he even arrived at the club. To be that small and succeed you have to make sure you take care of everything within your control. Reports of him from his junior days indicate he has always been very dedicated from a training perspective.

That said, the Swans do look to have done a good job fitness wise with all their younger squad. A large part of the reason why they are winning with huge margins is that even against the better teams they are able to run out games much better. Ten-goal-to-not-much have been pretty common.

ROK Lobster
23rd July 2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Just merging the threads guys (and managed not to delete everything. Hooray!) But would the result have been the same if there were posts critical of Roos? We know what's going on.

nomae
23rd July 2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Nico
So was Phillip's fitness good
dont think phillips is the fittest guy around- he was huffing and puffing a lot.
and speaking of huffing and puffing did anyone see dean polo trying to follow goodesy around? polo was supposed to be tagging goodes but he looked like he was about to collapse- just shows how unique adam is. (and by unique i mean a bluddy good player!)

dendol
23rd July 2006, 11:23 PM
what happened to Vogels? Is he now fighting with Grundy for that 3rd tall forward spot?

SimonH
24th July 2006, 12:31 AM
Grundy's yet another Norwood boy. With Fossie and Crouch, that's 3 in the squad now. Go you Legs.

Paul Roos (and of course the players who had to implement the plan) deserve huge kudos for organising the forward line last night (on short notice). I can barely remember a single occasion on which any of Grundy, O'Loughlin or Hall were jumping against each other.

Sure, we need to hold back the hype and be aware of the 'early ripe, early rotten' thing, but the important thing was the way he presented, not the number of goals he kicked. Two of his goals were gimmies, after all (and three of his quality marks inside 50 resulted in a total score of 0.1).

We don't need to expect that this will be the start of 190 consecutive games. The important thing is that along with Vogels, we've got plenty of options and flexibility for talls up forward and down back.

The main reason why Grundy plummeted from a possible top 20 in the 2004 draft, to deep in the rookie draft, was because he supposedly lacked pace. Didn't look too slow to me last night. Goes to show that footy is a lot more than a 100 metre race with a ball.

The Big Cat
24th July 2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by dendol
what happened to Vogels? Is he now fighting with Grundy for that 3rd tall forward spot?

Should replace Super Ted

liz
24th July 2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by dendol

Vogels is probably more mobile and maybe more versatile than Grundy - maybe more of a CHF type, but he's also shown he can play down back too.

But they're both very early in their AFL careers so its too early to tell how they'll pan out. Grundy played in defence for Norwood a couple of years ago.

I can certainly see the two playing together in the same side at some point in the not too distant future. At reserves level they have complemented each other well, rather than appearing to be fighting for the same role.

melbloods78
24th July 2006, 12:42 AM
Hope he is the Rising Star for this week. Was Sean Dempster nominated last year ?? seem to remember we have had one for the last few years with Schneider, Bevan and Dempster

liz
24th July 2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by melbloods78
Was Sean Dempster nominated last year ??

No.

Bevan, Schneider, LRT and Kennelly I think are the only recent nominees.

ScottH
24th July 2006, 07:33 AM
Bevan - R4 - 2004
LRT - R18 - 2003
Schneider - R5 - 2003
Tadhg - R19 - 2002

bigswan
24th July 2006, 10:41 AM
One of the reasons that Vogels was dropped this week was because he couldn't keep due to lack of fitness. It wasn't his fault because the reserves missed so many games. I also like the idea that he might be tried at fb.

barry
24th July 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Richard Davis
One of the reasons that Vogels was dropped this week was because he couldn't keep due to lack of fitness. It wasn't his fault because the reserves missed so many games. I also like the idea that he might be tried at fb.

Combinations of LRT, Vogels and Teddy Richards will be our key defenders in the post Leo Barry era.

And it doesnt worry me a bit.

True about Vogels. He got really shown up fitness wise as Subi.

Sanecow
24th July 2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by barry
True about Vogels. He got really shown up fitness wise as Subi.

Which is odd considering Roo's statements prior to the game.

Ruck'n'Roll
24th July 2006, 12:27 PM
I've watched Reg play in the reserves for 2 seasons now and last night he was more switched on than I have ever seen him. He took contested marks and even chased an opponent deep into defence, 2 things not regularly seen from him in the 2's.

Thunder Shaker
24th July 2006, 01:45 PM
And the plaudits keep coming. He got nominated for player of the week on the AFL site.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=283156

SimonH
24th July 2006, 02:08 PM
Great to see him get the kudos, but the statement "his performance has certainly put even more pressure on the wayward Nick Davis to reclaim his place in the side" is a bit of a misleading cheap shot. I don't think you need to be a brain surgeon to work out who's going to get dropped if Davis comes back, and it ain't Grundy.

Hopefully 'coming home' to Adelaide this week will produce another good performance. It's a pretty safe bet that the Paaahr won't give him the latitude that Richmond did.

woo
24th July 2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
And the plaudits keep coming. He got nominated for player of the week on the AFL site.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=283156

I can't believe my eyes, swans copped a mention on afl.com

ugg
24th July 2006, 09:17 PM
Boo, hiss, Reg missed out on the Rising Star nomination. It went to Troy Chaplin of Port. Ironically, Chaplin could end up lining on young Reg in the game next week.

Matt79
24th July 2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Boo, hiss, Reg missed out on the Rising Star nomination. It went to Troy Chaplin of Port. Ironically, Chaplin could end up lining on young Reg in the game next week.

I thought for sure Reg would get it, damn!

When was the last time a Swan's player got a rising star nomination?

ugg
24th July 2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
I thought for sure Reg would get it, damn!

When was the last time a Swan's player got a rising star nomination?

At this rate it will be another 72 years. See earlier posts in this thread for the answer.

swantastic
24th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Boo, hiss, Reg missed out on the Rising Star nomination. It went to Troy Chaplin of Port. Ironically, Chaplin could end up lining on young Reg in the game next week. Well if he does i hope Reggie towels him up,just so we can say"Stick it up ya AFL":D

ScottH
24th July 2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ugg
At this rate it will be another 72 years. See earlier posts in this thread for the answer. Bevan was our lsat nomination 2 years ago, says a lot doesn't it.

liz
24th July 2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
Bevan was our lsat nomination 2 years ago, says a lot doesn't it.

I think it says we won a premiership last year. How many RS nominations did Brisbane win during their reign at the top? Or Port? Since their falls, both teams have romped in the nominations, not only because they've had to play lots of younger players but also because they've given them important roles quickly and hence the chance to star.

ScottH
25th July 2006, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by liz
I think it says we won a premiership last year. How many RS nominations did Brisbane win during their reign at the top? Or Port? Since their falls, both teams have romped in the nominations, not only because they've had to play lots of younger players but also because they've given them important roles quickly and hence the chance to star. Yes, I realise all that , liz. I was just thinking that Bevan was the least talented out of the last 4 nominations.

Jude4eva
25th July 2006, 05:21 PM
Davis cant save us from seconds Reg Grundy can instead!

dimelb
25th July 2006, 09:33 PM
Troy who?