View Full Version : Htb

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 10:39 AM
None for Nog last night it must be christmas.:D

Mike_B
23rd July 2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
None for Nog last night it must be christmas.:D

Instead it was McVeigh for the same thing - a non-existent attempt to get the ball out after being tackled. Of course it should have been a free kick for a push in the back as part of the tackle, but we don't get free kicks for that sort of stuff...

Dave
23rd July 2006, 02:10 PM
It's funny how we played a similar style of footy to last week but had half the number of frees against us.

Go figure!

nomae
23rd July 2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Of course it should have been a free kick for a push in the back as part of the tackle, but we don't get free kicks for that sort of stuff...
exactly! the umpires are first supposed to see if the tackle was correct then see if it's holding the ball. mcveigh was so obviously pushed into the back and was just expecting the free kick i guess. noggy was lucky- in the third quarter he picked up the ball in the forward line, hesitated, then got tackled and barely got the ball out in time. it lead to a goal. he was very lucky.

ugg
23rd July 2006, 02:49 PM
Instead it was McVeigh for the same thing - a non-existent attempt to get the ball out after being tackled. Of course it should have been a free kick for a push in the back as part of the tackle, but we don't get free kicks for that sort of stuff...
I'm not sure whether we're referring to the same incident, but I thought McVeigh was pinged for faking an attempt to get the ball out. ROK knew he was in trouble and tried in vain to rip the ball from his arms.

Nico
23rd July 2006, 02:54 PM

I thought he was very so so last night. Doesn't get leather poisoning enough for me, bit slow and is falling over too much when seemingly clear. He needs a really explosive game to show that he has arrived. A much better option than BM though.

Nico
23rd July 2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ugg
I'm not sure whether we're referring to the same incident, but I thought McVeigh was pinged for faking an attempt to get the ball out. ROK knew he was in trouble and tried in vain to rip the ball from his arms.

He faked it and the ump was on the right side to see it. Fair decision.

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dave
It's funny how we played a similar style of footy to last week but had half the number of frees against us.

Go figure! McClaren go figure!:mad:

NMWBloods
23rd July 2006, 04:33 PM
Instead it was McVeigh for the same thing - a non-existent attempt to get the ball out after being tackled. Of course it should have been a free kick for a push in the back as part of the tackle, but we don't get free kicks for that sort of stuff... It was exactly the sort of thing that shouldn't be paid in the back. McVeigh fell forward and the Richmond player fell on top, but arms to either side. Didn't get into his back until McVeigh lay on the ball.

ScottH
23rd July 2006, 05:21 PM
Instead it was McVeigh for the same thing - a non-existent attempt to get the ball out after being tackled. Of course it should have been a free kick for a push in the back as part of the tackle, but we don't get free kicks for that sort of stuff... And then he gets pinged for an almost identical in the back later in the game. No wonder players get confused on the rulings.

liz
23rd July 2006, 06:00 PM
The HTB against McVeigh was absolutely the right call. If it was in the back then barely a legal tackle is ever laid anymore, and he clearly could have hand-balled the ball out rather than hold it in the crook of his elbow.

I think some of the calls against NOG have been very harsh - even if he does lie on the ball he has often had absolutely no prior opportunity and no realistic way of getting it out with a pile of players over him. And yes, the one he "got away with" yesterday was closer to being validly HTB than some of the ones he's been pinged for in past games.

satchmopugdog
23rd July 2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by liz
The HTB against McVeigh was absolutely the right call. If it was in the back then barely a legal tackle is ever laid anymore, and he clearly could have hand-balled the ball out rather than hold it in the crook of his elbow.

I think some of the calls against NOG have been very harsh - even if he does lie on the ball he has often had absolutely no prior opportunity and no realistic way of getting it out with a pile of players over him. And yes, the one he "got away with" yesterday was closer to being validly HTB than some of the ones he's been pinged for in past games.

Agree Liz.