PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Cheersquad

stellation
24th July 2006, 12:18 PM
Did you have more folks in the cheer squad on Saturday night? You certainly seemed to be making a lot more noise than you have in recent games.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Did you have more folks in the cheer squad on Saturday night? You certainly seemed to be making a lot more noise than you have in recent games.

No, things were worse than ever on Saturday night. But I have given up caring about trying to change things to be honest because it is all too hard & not worth the stress any more.

I try and bring new people in (ie Swannieserin) to fill up the seats and get severely berated for it. So I just sit there chanting at empty seats most of the time. :( A couple of weeks ago we had the head of the Melbourne-based Cheer Squad bring people into the area & SHE got told off for it as well! And we wonder why we are always empty?

We have a small but loud group of us in the right hand bay who like to chant & sing. A couple of them only arrived at half time, having come from the Roosters match (respect, as you were pissed off after their loss & could have just has well thought "Stuff it".) I re-jigged the "Auuuuu-sssssstrraaaaayyyy-liiiiiii-aaaaaaaah" one we sung at the World Cup with such success to "Oh Syd-neeeeeee Swaaaaaaans" and it worked ok. It is an easy & catchy tune to learn. Can't wait to teach it to all the young fellas in the Melbourne CS (SydneySwans1989 et al) when I'm next down there.

A guy from the Richmond Grog Squad came up and tried to have a go at us but only had 15 or so people taunting him with "Where were you Grand Final day?" He had no comeback, which is just as well as security herded him away from behind us as soon as possible.

I have given up stressing about it. We have won a flag & I just worry about myself these days. I get near guaranteed finals tickets around other Swans supporters, have unreserved seating & have room to wave my flag. I'm not prepared to get into fights with the club and the CS Manager to try and change things, as the less friction there is with both, the more enjoyable my days at the footy are.

JF

Sanecow
24th July 2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
I just worry about myself these days

Truer words were never spoken.

sydneyswans1989
24th July 2006, 02:08 PM
No, things were worse than ever on Saturday night. But I have given up caring about trying to change things to be honest because it is all too hard & not worth the stress any more.

I try and bring new people in (ie Swannieserin) to fill up the seats and get severely berated for it. So I just sit there chanting at empty seats most of the time. :( A couple of weeks ago we had the head of the Melbourne-based Cheer Squad bring people into the area & SHE got told off for it as well! And we wonder why we are always empty?

We have a small but loud group of us in the right hand bay who like to chant & sing. A couple of them only arrived at half time, having come from the Roosters match (respect, as you were pissed off after their loss & could have just has well thought "Stuff it".) I re-jigged the "Auuuuu-sssssstrraaaaayyyy-liiiiiii-aaaaaaaah" one we sung at the World Cup with such success to "Oh Syd-neeeeeee Swaaaaaaans" and it worked ok. It is an easy & catchy tune to learn. Can't wait to teach it to all the young fellas in the Melbourne CS (SydneySwans1989 et al) when I'm next down there.

A guy from the Richmond Grog Squad came up and tried to have a go at us but only had 15 or so people taunting him with "Where were you Grand Final day?" He had no comeback, which is just as well as security herded him away from behind us as soon as possible.

I have given up stressing about it. We have won a flag & I just worry about myself these days. I get near guaranteed finals tickets around other Swans supporters, have unreserved seating & have room to wave my flag. I'm not prepared to get into fights with the club and the CS Manager to try and change things, as the less friction there is with both, the more enjoyable my days at the footy are.

JF

Ah yes JF we are looking for some new chants down in melbourne, would love to hear them from you as we have some cracking matches coming up against geeeeelong & the dees.

I understand the situation about the SS cheersquad, i travelled over for the the collingwood match & met Simon at the airport who sits with the cheersquad week in week out.

I felt like i wasn't welcomed there at all,a few others from the melbourne based cheersquad travlled up & sat with me & they were disgraced by the amount of respect given. We had collingwood supporters behind us raving on about how bad our cheersquad is all night, no chants were getting started up, it was a really bad night.

We were asked nicely to head onto the ground to hold up the banner, we head out there & all we get is abuse from some nut thinking he owns the whole cheersquad.

There's not much you can do about it.

JF you do the best you can mate & I can see that clearly, not sure about anyone else here.

adnar
24th July 2006, 02:08 PM
And we wonder why we are always empty?

I think an splinter, swans ultras group should be started. Standing only, back of the bottom row in the O'Riely stand, at least you could see the game from there.

Glenn
24th July 2006, 02:24 PM
Unfortunatly couldn't be there on Saturday night as I had other committments.
The Sydney based Cheer Squad is always going to struggle to attract people IMHO for a number of reasons that can not be controlled on a personal basis.
Prehaps a need to be more encouraging of people to join, but then you also have to ensure they adhere to rules placed on the CS from the AFL.
Also what to do about those that don't contribue financially to the CS, should they be allowed into the area just to support the team but not support the CS?

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by adnar
I think an splinter, swans ultras group should be started. Standing only, back of the bottom row in the O'Riely stand, at least you could see the game from there.

People having been musing about just letting the Cheer Squad rot and doing our own thing elsewhere in the ground. But by doing that, we'd be forgoing our GF Cheer Squad tickets & may well not be able to sit together or welcome you guys when you come up.

In a way it would be great if the whole thing fell over, as then people at the club would start panicking and actually try and think up ideas themselves. It is no skin off my back if they don't have banners' the ones who would lose would be the club sponsors who do not get the exposure.

We are giving 1-2 minutes at best to get out on the field, get the rops on, then get the banner up. This often leads to panic stations. On Saturday night the players were already in the tunnel by the time we were let out, which is a bit of a joke to be honest. One banner rope couldn't even be unravelled in time, so we had to get the thing up with only two ropes on the right hand side. The thing naturally nearly toppled as a result.

In Melbourne they give us at least 10 minutes to get out there, get the ropes on, spin the banner so that everyone can see the messages on it, then raise it & get it off the field in a relaxed manor. In Melbourne the raising of the banners is seen as a part of the spectacle. Here it is merely a after-thought squeezed in after everything else has been finished. That sounds extremely harsh, but isn't far from the truth to be honest.

JF

Missy
24th July 2006, 02:51 PM
Our "Grundy's in...we're gonna win" chant caught on in Bay 17. There were some little kids sitting with their family behind us and we made them feel included by letting them hold up our banners and they got right into it. Have just emailed their Mum some photos. :)

There were probably about 30 of us all up. One of the most enjoyable days I've had at the footy in a long time.

Its a shame that some of the people in the cheer squad aren't as welcoming. I walked through to get into Brewongle and an older woman looked me up and down as if she was gonna spit on me. Real welcoming. On the flipside there was another nice woman who come and invited us to the next banner making night.

The CS on whole just doesnt have that bloods attitude does it?

Did you have your drum JF?

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 02:57 PM
Someone was blowing a horn in the crowd, maybe near the CS? Sounded like a suburban match.

stellation
24th July 2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Someone was blowing a horn in the crowd, maybe near the CS? Sounded like a suburban match.
Yep, I thought it was coming from the CS.

swannieserin
24th July 2006, 03:01 PM
I really think the CS manager should organise with the club to allow people to sit there and fill up the seats. Admittedly I don't WANT to sit there, but the way the club handles the CS is totally unbelievable.

There are a lot of kids who want to sit in the CS, are wearing red and white, would cheer and chant, and who would not expect any of the "benefits" of the CS (which appear to be being hassled to help with the 'voluntary' banner making). I don't see the problem with that provided their parents don't mind and they behave themselves.

The CS as it is now could not possibly attract more adults to sit there. It is unpleasant, poorly arranged and the WORST location for a home team cheersquad that is possible.

monopoly19
24th July 2006, 03:03 PM
There seemed to be a massive group of people in one of the bays to the left of the CS (looking from the field)...anyone know who they were? I think they were the ones who got a Mexican wave started at one point, and seemed to get very excited everytime they got on screen.

swannieserin
24th July 2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
There seemed to be a massive group of people in one of the bays to the left of the CS (looking from the field)...anyone know who they were? I think they were the ones who got a Mexican wave started at one point, and seemed to get very excited everytime they got on screen.

The people in the bay next to the CS (which I assume is the one you mean) are from backpackers. Some backpackers places get together and offer a $25 package which involves a ticket, a drink and a cap (you might notice they all have the same Swans cap). They are generally Poms and I think this is why they start Mexican waves.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19

They were nothing but a bunch of n00bs. All they did was try and antogonise the Richmond fans (which to anyone in the know is probably one of the most foolhardy things you could do at the footy). Then when the game got too boring for them, they all proceeded to start waves (my PET HATE at the footy & a complete insult to the players IMnsHO.)

JF

mocaholic
24th July 2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
...offer a $25 package which involves a ticket, a drink and a cap.
Wow! In front of Footscray railway station a cap's gonna cost you $40 alone. Throw in the game and a beer and that's great value!

swannieserin
24th July 2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mocaholic
Wow! In front of Footscray railway station a cap's gonna cost you $40 alone. Throw in the game and a beer and that's great value!

I know!! Its a pity no one explains our great game to them though, they have no idea what is going on. I gave some of the guys a crash course one week and they started cheering for Tadhg and really got into it.

Rizzo
24th July 2006, 03:19 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the CS' unwelcoming attitude JF. I use to sit next to them but moved my membership to the Noble (no-fixed-seating) after two seasons. Flexibility and uncover seating wer two other reasons but the CS had a lot to do with it.

adnar
24th July 2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
I'm glad you mentioned the CS' unwelcoming attitude JF. I use to sit next to them but moved my membership to the Noble (no-fixed-seating) after two seasons. Flexibility and uncover seating wer two other reasons but the CS had a lot to do with it.

I was the same. I sat (and paid too) sit at the back of the cheersquad for years. Despite it being 100% the worst place to watch a game of football, I was berated by some of the people who run it for cheering at times. People would stand there with their back to play to have a go at me for 10 minutes instead of just watching the freaking game. I sit in the members reserve now.

JF, I think sitting there for the sole reason of getting a grandfinal ticket is pointless. Either buy a premiership club or line up early should we make it, seems pretty pointless to sit in one space just because there is chance every few years you will get a ticket to the GF.

With the recent intrest with the swans about creating an atmosphere like the Cove, I would wonder if they would be open to a group sitting (I think the Oriely stand would be the best place, because you are in the middle of a big stand, and you could stand up without obstructing any fans who don't want to.

Allow alchohol and let people who are passionate get into it yell stupid stuff, have fun and create a buzz.

EMJ
24th July 2006, 03:42 PM
In regards the banner - it takes ages to make and most times there is only 3-4 people at that - last week we had to make two in one night - so anyone who wants to come and help is very welcome - it helps to get as much help as possible at least 2 more people. It is heavy work on such a few people - heavy meaning lifting when made and carried to where it goes before the game.

I do enjoy it but would love to see more helpers.

Pommie Swannie
24th July 2006, 04:49 PM
They were nothing but a bunch of n00bs. All they did was try and antogonise the Richmond fans (which to anyone in the know is probably one of the most foolhardy things you could do at the footy). Then when the game got too boring for them, they all proceeded to start waves (my PET HATE at the footy & a complete insult to the players IMnsHO.)

JF

I couldn't agree more - I refuse to take part in a mexican wave at any sporting event. If you're so bored with the game that you have to watch people standing up in sequence around the ground, you really should go home!

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Missy
Did you have your drum JF?

No, it was at home. I had to work on Saturday morning & didn't want to look like a freak of nature lugging it around the railway replacement buses. (insert smart alec remark from Yabby & Cow here ;) )

MSABenny has the drum now. It is a mess at the moment & is completely falling apart. But I suppose it will still help to some degree against Essendon & Brisbane.

As alluded to, I brought along my 3 euro SuperTromba. :cool: http://www.supertromba.com
I bought it at one of those cheap & nasty discount stores in the main street of Stuttgart. Alot of the chants in Kaiserslasutern against Italy were started by me giving it a whirl.

It worked better against Adelaide than Saturday night. I kept on stuffing it up when I ran out of breath.

JF

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 04:57 PM
The last time anyone dared to criticise the Mexican Wave, there were abusive posts and PMs in response...

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 05:08 PM
The last time anyone dared to criticise the Mexican Wave, there were abusive posts and PMs in response...

If you are referring to the Brisbane game last year, well that analogy does not match up. At the time the wave was started last year there was a rather long break in play. This year there wasn't.

Don't worry, n00bs & people not connected emotionally to the result of games were doing waves at the World Cup as well. I found that rather irritating to be honest.

JF

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 05:16 PM
So during a break it's okay then...

adnar
24th July 2006, 05:16 PM
It was started when Kirk was knocked out at one stage.

monopoly19
24th July 2006, 05:19 PM
Don't see what the problem is with Mexican waves really. If you don't like them, don't participate. At least it got people making noise, as opposed to the cheersquad. They also timed it pretty well - just as it was passing behind the cheer squad, the goal umpire waved his flag to signal a behind :)

ugg
24th July 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by adnar
It was started when Kirk was knocked out at one stage.

One of them anyway. Reminded me of the 'furore' when Lappin broke his leg at TS and a Mexican wave was started then.

Sanecow
24th July 2006, 05:26 PM
So during a break it's okay then...

After the break but before the treatment.

Lucky Knickers
24th July 2006, 06:32 PM
That wave started way before Kirk got injured - Q3. I was so annoyed as Bay27 stood up in front of me as I tried to see us making an excellent break down the wing from the D50.

Bloody Tigers CS started it didn't they?

Chubby Muffler
24th July 2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
That wave started way before Kirk got injured - Q3.

Nah, they did actually try to start a new one as he was being put on the stretcher, it just didn't get very far.

mocaholic
24th July 2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by swannieserin
I know!! Its a pity no one explains our great game to them though, they have no idea what is going on. I gave some of the guys a crash course one week and they started cheering for Tadhg and really got into it. Er. My mistake. I was referring to a different type of 'cap'.

Bat on.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th July 2006, 07:00 PM
That wave started way before Kirk got injured - Q3. I was so annoyed as Bay27 stood up in front of me as I tried to see us making an excellent break down the wing from the D50.

No, it was a whole group of schoolboy n00bs in the next bay. The Tiger fans were having a go at them.

JF

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mocaholic
Er. My mistake. I was referring to a different type of 'cap'. That seemed obvious to me...

ScottH
24th July 2006, 08:41 PM
That seemed obvious to me... A regular at 'cray obviously.

swansrock4eva
24th July 2006, 09:42 PM

No, they were the ones cheering at the footage of the incident and gesticulating etc as they stretchered Kirky off. No respectful applause, no nothing. In that sort of situation where the result could have been far worse than it turned out to be, that sort of disrespect is pretty much only something you'd expect of Tigers or Pies' supporters really. Glad to see they lived up to their reputation. :mad:

The Undertaker
24th July 2006, 10:25 PM

JF Fair enough JF.

As you know mate,i have been an official member since of the Cheersquad since 2004 and certainly a lot has changed in the past three years.

A lot less members and a bit more friction.

When i first started coming to games,the CS was big!It was big in terms of members and noise,it was a lot like my beloved Chookpen with the Sydney Roosters.

As you and i have discussed in personal conversations,there are a lot of issues concerning the CS that both you and i agree and disagree on mate.

Look,i like to look at the positives,i am at that stage mate.The small group we have is great and try to have as much fun as possible every week with the little resources we have.

However i wish,"SCG Customer Service"would do their friggin jobs and whisk people way RIGHT AWAY when they come over to harrass us.Even some of our own supporters!

cruiser
24th July 2006, 10:35 PM
So during a break it's okay then... Of course it is. Why wouldnt it be? However, during play its annoying and rude.

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
After the break but before the treatment. Someone got it at least...

anniswan
24th July 2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by The Undertaker

However i wish,"SCG Customer Service"would do their friggin jobs and whisk people way RIGHT AWAY when they come over to harrass us.Even some of our own supporters!

as opposed to harrassing cheer squad members who are trying to protect their heads by standing next to the wall duing the practice drills.

Last time I sat with the CS in Sydney was a few years back against WB. It was a very unpleasant evening. I have made numerous trips to Sydney since and won't sit with them again.

JF you have much more patience than I have.

JF_Bay22_SCG
25th July 2006, 01:36 AM
[i]JF you have much more patience than I have. [/B]

Sadly (and don't take this the wrong way peoples) if I stop going things could very well fall in a heap. I heard horror stories of what things were like when I was in Germany.

My way of surviving is by doing as little as possible and keeping out of everyone else's way. But hey, the way things are going there aren't many people left who can complain about something I had said or done. Personally I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. :confused:

JF
PS:-Man, I even got told off for taking flags to Adelaide FFS. :o

Glenn
25th July 2006, 08:58 AM
JF all that be done is don't worry about others, and do what you need to do in supporting the team alot less stressful that way, and just go with the flow.