PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Out: Spriggs In

ROK Lobster
24th July 2006, 07:23 PM
The time has come. Spriggs has been BOG in the 2's week in and week out. Kirk has been a passenger. With the knock to the head comes the opportunity to drop Kirk without losing face and gives Spriggs the opportunity he deserves. We know we wont lose anything in terms of skill, and Spriggs will add pace to the middle (Port will flood and the flood is beaten by speed through the guts), and give Kirk a week to get over what ever it is he is suffering from. Might also spur him into action for the rest of the season, the sting of watching on from the side lines.

Sanecow
24th July 2006, 07:24 PM
Preach it, brother.

BeeEmmAre
24th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Possibly the funniest piece of comedy I've read on this site.

Nothing against Spriggsy, who probably deserves a chance, but if Kirky is fit, Kirky plays. Simple as that.

ROK Lobster
24th July 2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre

Nothing against Spriggsy, who probably deserves a chance, but if Kirky is fit, Kirky plays. Simple as that. Great reasoning there. Call mine comedy but at least I had a reason. The Kirk plays because he is Kirk argument is crap. His credits are gone. He is a passenger atm.

sydneyswans1989
24th July 2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by BeeEmmAre

Nothing against Spriggsy, who probably deserves a chance, but if Kirky is fit, Kirky plays. Simple as that.

You took the words right out of my mouth but I don't think Kirk should play, that was such a nasty hit he copped.

He would be better off resting himself & then be ready to rock n roll against the dons.

dread and might
24th July 2006, 07:59 PM
Interesting concept. If Kirk is unfit, spriggs could tag Burgoyne.

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 08:36 PM
How about we play a game where we have minimal tags and play football instead? Perhaps put Ablett on Burgoyne, as Ablett is useless at getting the ball, and everyone else can just focus on the ball. Why not put in Spriggs (or Schmidt) for Kirk? It's not like Kirk is providing anything significant for the team.

Snowy
24th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Well the way they waxed lyrical about Kirk 'on the couch' tonigh it would be a major shock to the football world if he EVER got dropped. Kellyesque was one term bandied about. BTW, I noticed on the injury report that Ben Mathews is meant to be missing the next couple of weeks due to a calf strain.

nomae
24th July 2006, 10:43 PM
maybe kirk is playing badly and maybe he is a passenger but i roos will never drop him. i mean come on, he is the captain, or one of them. this whole kirk thing is getting a bit old

shole
24th July 2006, 10:59 PM
Best and fairest 2005
2nd best and fairest 2003, 2004

I don't think he deserves to be dropped
you can't be on your game the whole time

if anything I'd rather drop ablett

Slick Swans
24th July 2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by shole
Best and fairest 2005
2nd best and fairest 2003, 2004

I don't think he deserves to be dropped
you can't be on your game the whole time

if anything I'd rather drop ablett

Sing it sister!! I'd drop ablett first too. And to the people who think he should rest because he has had such a bad knock, this guy wanted to play within 10 minutes of being knocked out!! Give him 7 days and he'd run a marathon!

I reakon this knock will wake him up get him firing again. Go you good thing!

SimonH
24th July 2006, 11:37 PM
Don't worry everyone, you're not speaking to a real human.

ROK Lobster has just borrowed cressakel's 'Auto weekly post that Fosdike is crap' bot, and plugged in Kirk's name.

But he's made the tragic mistake of increasing the frequency from every 7 days (the default) to about every 48 hours (high risk, advanced users only). The machine cannae take it, cap'n! She's gonna blow!

ROK Lobster
24th July 2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
Don't worry everyone, you're not speaking to a real human.

ROK Lobster has just borrowed cressakel's 'Auto weekly post that Fosdike is crap' bot, and plugged in Kirk's name.

But he's made the tragic mistake of increasing the frequency from every 7 days (the default) to about every 48 hours (high risk, advanced users only). The machine cannae take it, cap'n! She's gonna blow! Again, an articulate defence of Kirk's current form. His biggest contribution to the team this month has been getting kicked in the head. How do we stay under the salary cap?

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Again, an articulate defence of Kirk's current form. His biggest contribution to the team this month has been getting kicked in the head. How do we stay under the salary cap? Your (sic) a stupid moron ROK Lobster, if that really is you're (sic) name! Have you ever played football? What does it matter that Kirk can't hit a target or kick straight or even keep up with his man this year. All that matters is that he's been knocked unconscious a couple of times and has bled a lot. That's what it takes to win a football match. That's why it's called football - d'urrh!

dendol
24th July 2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Your (sic) a stupid moron ROK Lobster, if that really is you're (sic) name! Have you ever played football? What does it matter that Kirk can't hit a target or kick straight or even keep up with his man this year. All that matters is that he's been knocked unconscious a couple of times and has bled a lot. That's what it takes to win a football match. That's why it's called football - d'urrh!
der is way t00 much propa gramar in there 2 take u serzly!

OldE
25th July 2006, 12:00 AM
Why is Kirk immune from criticism? Rather than attacking Lobster, why not discuss what Kirk has actually done this year. A player's worth is not based on their reputation, but what they contribute each week.

The time for premiership credits is over. We ought to judge Kirk on what he's done this year. In my opinion, it's not enough to justify his spot in the team.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by dendol
der is way t00 much propa gramar in there 2 take u serzly! Better fishing that way!

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 12:24 AM
Your (sic) a stupid moron ROK Lobster, if that really is you're (sic) name! Have you ever played football? What does it matter that Kirk can't hit a target or kick straight or even keep up with his man this year. All that matters is that he's been knocked unconscious a couple of times and has bled a lot. That's what it takes to win a football match. That's why it's called football - d'urrh!

Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit....

Mod edit: Post edited. Please refrain from name calling.

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 12:28 AM
Sorry I should not have said that but once again....these so called SUPPORTERS dont actually SUPPORT. so what are they then ers?

dendol
25th July 2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by WASwansFanatic
Sorry I should not have said that but once again....these so called SUPPORTERS dont actually SUPPORT. so what are they then ers?
Yeah all you people who criticize any of the players aren't real supporters@!! Only we who support are really SUPPORTERS!! :mad:

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 12:33 AM
Supporters support the team. Individuals are not above the team.

Ruda Wakening
25th July 2006, 12:36 AM

I'm only in it for the oiled arms.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
I'm only in it for the oiled arms. Are you Robert Walls?

Ooh... RW...!! :eek:

(BTW - great avatar Robert)

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 12:38 AM
Yes you support the team....and you support the club. And obviously the club believes Kirk should be in the team, as I believe 95% of the football world would.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 12:38 AM
Yes you support the team....and you support the club. And obviously the club believes Kirk should be in the team, as I believe 95% of the football world would. Is he above criticism?

SimonH
25th July 2006, 12:41 AM
Is he above criticism? Yes, ROK Lobster is above criticism. Haven't you been paying attention?

OldE
25th July 2006, 12:53 AM
For once and all, can a Kirk defender tell me what concrete things he is contributing to the team at the moment (and that does not include abstracts like "leadership" and "inspiration"), and how do these contributions outweight his poor disposal?

What is he doing to justify his place in the team?

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 12:58 AM
Every team needs a couple of in and under players. And he is one. He goes in there gets the ball and gets it out.
And things like leadership and inspiration should not ever be underestimated.
You know I once remember a skinny little bloke from Wagga Wagga not having the best disposal ever....but bloody oath we would never have dropped him and we should ever drop Kirky.

PerthSwannie
25th July 2006, 01:03 AM
I put Kirky in the same barrel as Cousins(Booze Bus Boy). A leader and a hard nut. Leave him out of the team and the team WILL faulter.

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 01:05 AM
before some smart arse picks me up...I meant never ever drop Kirky.

WASwansFanatic
25th July 2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by PerthSwannie
I put Kirky in the same barrel as Cousins(Booze Bus Boy). A leader and a hard nut. Leave him out of the team and the team WILL faulter.

Just like they did against the wobbles on Saturday!?!?!

Chow-Chicker
25th July 2006, 01:29 AM
Is he above criticism?

No, but you think that peanut Davis is.

elroy67
25th July 2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by eirinn
For once and all, can a Kirk defender tell me what concrete things he is contributing to the team at the moment (and that does not include abstracts like "leadership" and "inspiration"), and how do these contributions outweight his poor disposal?

What is he doing to justify his place in the team?

He is 3rd in the league for tackles (90) behind Macdonald (99) and Jude (92).

It would be nice if he could kick better than me though.... :D

liz
25th July 2006, 02:49 AM
Kirk is not having a great season by any measure, let alone the standard he set himself last year or the year before.

However, I don't believe the Swans have any realistic chance of mounting a serious challenge for the premiership unless Kirk comes some way close to regaining his form from last season. Notwithstanding the fact that his disposal isn't the best in the league, he has usually managed to still be effective with it, working within his limitations.

Some of the quarters - and games - he has pulled out of the bag over the past couple of years, often when he was needed the most, were absolutely awesome. Not awesome in a Judd-like way; but awesome in a Kirk-way and that was just as inspiring.

While a Spriggs or maybe even a Schmidt could maybe deliver at the level Kirk currently is, I don't believe for one moment that they are capable - this year - of delivering anything like the best level of performance that Kirk has shown over several years. Granted, Kirk isn't doing it at the moment, but I very much doubt the Swans will go far in September unless Kirk plays a pretty big part in it.

That's why - IMO - he should unquestionably stay in the team.

Double standards? Maybe. But whatever one's personal view of the talents or relative values of a Kirk vs a Davis, there is ample evidence that one has worked his butt off to make the most of his talents, while the other - by his own, frequent admissions - hasn't. So if what Davis is currently experiencing is an attempted kick up the backside in an attempt to get him to perform close to his potential, rather than evidence of a more fundamental rift, it is unlikely to be a tactic that would help Kirk recapture the same form.

If the Swans were out of contention, maybe one could mount an argument for applying the "rules" differently. (Although personally I consider that Kirk has enough bloody-hard-work credits in the bank to last him a fair while yet.) But the premiership defence still has a flicker of life in it yet and as such the coaching staff need to treat all their most likely matchwinners - and that includes both Kirk and Davis - in the way they think is going to get them contributing at their best when it really matters.

ROK Lobster
25th July 2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by liz
it is unlikely to be a tactic that would help Kirk recapture the same form. I agree with all that you say, except maybe the bit quoted. Personally, I'm not inclined to think that the "kick-up-the-arse" is much of a motivator long term - for anyone. I am also not inclined to think that everyone has the ability to work as hard as anyone else. I see people in all walks of life who work their guts out. I also see others who try to work their guts out but can never quite make it. It is apparently OK for people to be born with different levels of "skill" but not different levels of "work ethic". And quite often, more is expected of those with the skill because they are considered to be wasting their talent. Unless Kirk is carrying an injury - and there is nothing obvious at the moment - his lack of form can be attributed to his head. I am sure that the club has been doing its darndest to work out why, but after 16 rounds little has changed. Maybe he needs a rest, to freshen up. Or a run around in the two, to get a bit of the ball, to build some confidence. Horses for courses, yes. Special treatment, no. He can't simply look to get his head kicked every week, it's not healthy.

bigswan
25th July 2006, 09:50 AM
Spriggs for Kirk. Utterly ridiculous. Dropping the captain for a guy who can't kick a football. Why all the criticism of the players? We're winning and we've got a fair hope of still finishing top 4. Even without a top 4 finish we will have a home final. what do you people want. It is sad that Schmidt and Willoughby can't get a game but that is what happens when there are only 22 spots.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Chow-Chicker
No, but you think that peanut Davis is. I don't think you read too well...

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by liz
Kirk is not having a great season by any measure, let alone the standard he set himself last year or the year before.

However, I don't believe the Swans have any realistic chance of mounting a serious challenge for the premiership unless Kirk comes some way close to regaining his form from last season. Notwithstanding the fact that his disposal isn't the best in the league, he has usually managed to still be effective with it, working within his limitations.

Some of the quarters - and games - he has pulled out of the bag over the past couple of years, often when he was needed the most, were absolutely awesome. Not awesome in a Judd-like way; but awesome in a Kirk-way and that was just as inspiring.

While a Spriggs or maybe even a Schmidt could maybe deliver at the level Kirk currently is, I don't believe for one moment that they are capable - this year - of delivering anything like the best level of performance that Kirk has shown over several years. Granted, Kirk isn't doing it at the moment, but I very much doubt the Swans will go far in September unless Kirk plays a pretty big part in it.

That's why - IMO - he should unquestionably stay in the team.Yes. I don't think dropping Kirk is a realistic or serious suggestion. He has been one of our most important players in the past few years. He is one of those players that you leave in the side in the hope that he regains at least some of his form as he is so important to our chances.

However, at some point though they will need to have a closer look at him and his performance. He has still played pretty crap this year and there have been double standards on the treatment and views of different players.

(BTW - in the locked thread, my 1 in 4 hitting the target comment was tongue in cheek. The difference in his disposal this year to prior is that previously he was getting very good handball clearances and finding players, whereas this year he has not. Additionally, although his kicking has limitations, he recognised them and was able to find short-range targets in past years - this year he is missing them).

Sanecow
25th July 2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Richard Davis
We're winning

:confused:

barry
25th July 2006, 11:56 AM
Kirk needs to just go back to being a tagger.

Mike_B
25th July 2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by barry
Kirk needs to just go back to being a tagger.

That's what I reckon as well, but also have the concern he isn't quick enough to keep up any longer.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 12:05 PM
He really struggled to keep up with Kane Johnson on Saturday.

How many taggers/defensive midfielders do we need though?

Mel
25th July 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
this guy wanted to play within 10 minutes of being knocked out!!

So was his brain addled more than believed or was he trying to prove how tough he was? What did he hope to achieve by saying that he wanted to go back on? It was never going to happen since he didn't go off the field in the interchange area.

I don't think that Kirk should be dropped (although I yelled at the tele that he should be a few times in the WC game), but I still don't like the way that players are treated differently.

barry
25th July 2006, 01:06 PM
He really struggled to keep up with Kane Johnson on Saturday.

One. Kirk. To go on the washed up slow offensive midfielder. ie Buckley types.

The rest can be offensive. Hows that for a new concept ?

stellation
25th July 2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by liz

That's why - IMO - he should unquestionably stay in the team.

Double standards? Maybe. But whatever one's personal view of the talents or relative values of a Kirk vs a Davis, there is ample evidence that one has worked his butt off to make the most of his talents, while the other - by his own, frequent admissions - hasn't. So if what Davis is currently experiencing is an attempted kick up the backside in an attempt to get him to perform close to his potential, rather than evidence of a more fundamental rift, it is unlikely to be a tactic that would help Kirk recapture the same form.

If the Swans were out of contention, maybe one could mount an argument for applying the "rules" differently. (Although personally I consider that Kirk has enough bloody-hard-work credits in the bank to last him a fair while yet.) But the premiership defence still has a flicker of life in it yet and as such the coaching staff need to treat all their most likely matchwinners - and that includes both Kirk and Davis - in the way they think is going to get them contributing at their best when it really matters.
I don't think that your justification for the double standards is adequate. Having the "bloody-hard-work" ethic is surely just as much about genetics and environment as being natuarlly gifted- if both of these are required in sport then why value one so highly over the other, is that not unfair on the individuals who are disposed one way?

Edit: Why on earth did I quote the whole thing? Why? 'cause I'm an idiot, that's why!

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by barry
One. Kirk. To go on the washed up slow offensive midfielder. ie Buckley types.

The rest can be offensive. Hows that for a new concept ? Yep. It's one that I've long wanted to see!!

bandwagon
25th July 2006, 01:28 PM

For Port Adelaide I'd probably go with two - one for S.Burgoyne the other on Pearce. As both are really quick it may be an opportunity to rest Kirk.

PS. IMO Even in current form Kirk is definitely in our best 22.

NMWBloods
25th July 2006, 01:30 PM
Pearce doesn't need to be tagged.