PDA

View Full Version : Why I like Reg Grundy

Legs Akimbo
24th July 2006, 08:35 PM
1. He's a big lump of a lad. Lots of strength through the trunk of his body. He's only 20 so if they feed him lots of protein supplements and give him plenty of time in the gym he's going to be a pretty scary dude. I like having players on my team who scare the players on the other team.

2. His methodology of sticking out his ample arse to push his opponent aside is very effective. All perfectly legal of course.

2. He's got an amazing head of hair and unlike vogels, it is not red.

3. He's an old fashioned style of forward. He is a very strong mark and excellent at wrestling. Liz thinks he might struggle against the bigger backmen, but personally, I think he'll rip them apart with his teeth.

4. He was supposed to go in the top 10 in the draft and we got him as a rookie. He's good VALUE.

5. He has a good old fashioned name. Heath Grundy. What you see is what you get with Reg.

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 08:39 PM
He's no nonsense. Serious face, occasional smile.

ScottH
24th July 2006, 08:53 PM
Charlie will be happy, a Heath got a chance.

barry
24th July 2006, 09:06 PM
He's played one game. before we weigh him down with an overloaded bandwagon, lets see how he goes in the next month.

swantastic
24th July 2006, 09:08 PM
He,s not related to Matty Scarlett is he?because he looks like him.

liz
24th July 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo

2. He's got an amazing head of hair and unlike vogels, it is not red.

3. He's an old fashioned style of forward. He is a very strong mark and excellent at wrestling. Liz thinks he might struggle against the bigger backmen, but personally, I think he'll rip them apart with his teeth.

LOL (at the whole thing).

On the hair, for most of the season (including the last time I saw him play, a fortnight ago) he has been sporting blondish tips in his hair which, from a distance, made him look as if he'd gone prematurely grey. I was very glad to see that he'd adorned himself with a more "manly" haircut for his league debut.

His body strength was, indeed, impressive for a 20yo. Close up he still looks to have relatively scrawny arms so there's definitely scope for him to get stronger, but his strength through the trunk was impressive and he knows how to hold his position.

I admit that Grundy's performance took me by surprise in several ways, but it is very happy surprise. One game does not make a career but the ease with which he slipped into senior football was very encouraging.

ROK Lobster
24th July 2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by liz

I admit that Grundy's performance took me by surprise in several ways, but it is very happy surprise. One game does not make a career but the ease with which he slipped into senior football was very encouraging. I thought he looked fantastic, and much better than he had looked when I watched him play down here a few times last year. I also thought that Phillips looked much better, and enjoyed his business. I genuinely thought that they both added something to the forward line. Glad they have debuted.

swantastic
24th July 2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I thought he looked fantastic, and much better than he had looked when I watched him play down here a few times last year. I also thought that Phillips looked much better, and enjoyed his business. I genuinely thought that they both added something to the forward line. Glad they have debuted. Phillips back to magoos,Schmidt in.

liz
24th July 2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Phillips back to magoos,Schmidt in.

Phillips is more valuable in the team as it stands than Schmidt would be. For Schmidt to come in, it would have to be to replace one of Kirk, Bolton or Ablett. Otherwise the midfield would just be treacle slow.

With the Power having a host of young, quick players, there's a decent chance that Phillips will keep his spot for another week (depending on the status of ND). I just wish they'd tell him to either stay at Barry's (or Reg's) feet or, if he is going to wander down the ground, stand just off the packs in the hope that he gets the ball fed out to him and can take off.

He's getting dragged into the mauls and adding nothing by doing so. He doesn't have the body strength or nous yet to hold his ground and his hands haven't been clean enough in the midfield to grab the ball off the ground himself. Hopefully the latter issue is just one of nerves and inexperience because he's going to need clean hands to "make it" long term.

satchmopugdog
24th July 2006, 09:49 PM
There was one instance on Sat where Phillips did show slick hands or rather deceptive hands. He was on the interchange part of the ground and did a dummy around a richmond player that showed poise and brought a smile to my face.

liz
24th July 2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
There was one instance on Sat where Phillips did show slick hands or rather deceptive hands. He was on the interchange part of the ground and did a dummy around a richmond player that showed poise and brought a smile to my face.

Put Phillips in front of goal and he seems to have pretty good hands. He certainly seems to be able to get ball from hand to boot very quickly. That's what makes me think that his fumbling in the middle is largely due to nerves and him still adjusting to the speed of senior football.

nomae
24th July 2006, 10:04 PM
gee i hope reg goes well this week v port.

cruiser
24th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by nomae
gee i hope reg goes well this week v port. I'm hoping and hoping that both Reg and Phillips turn out the same or better this weekend. Our future bodes well if players like these two continue to develop.

The Undertaker
24th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Go Reg!

Great game last week.

Solid performance.:)

penga
27th July 2006, 12:54 PM
Of all the players that the commentary mentioned for having outstanding debuts, they forgot one. Rutten kicked 3 in his first game... ;)

NMWBloods
27th July 2006, 01:44 PM
I prefer Hector Crawford... Homicide, Division 4, Matlock Police, The Sullivans, Cop Shop, Carson's Law, Flying Doctors... quality stuff... much better than Neighbours, Young Doctors, Sons & Daughters... although Prisoner was good...