PDA

View Full Version : Ben Mathews: Career Over?

ROK Lobster
27th July 2006, 09:51 PM
We just have to make sure we don't destroy Benny's season because there is still hope for a lot of footy to be played. Bit like saying the coach has the support of the board, isn't it? The quote is from the "every-game-from-here-on-in-is-a-final" piece of fluff from the Swans site.

What round do the "8-point-games" start? Must be soon?

Matt79
27th July 2006, 10:50 PM
Some may say that his career has never really started!

Carolyn
27th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
Some may say that his career has never really started! It was over before it even began. :p

DST
28th July 2006, 12:27 AM
As much as it would pain you to see it, Ben Mathews was one of our better players Grand Final day last year.

Kept Fletcher reasonably quiet and made sure he had no real influence on the game.

DST
:D

NMWBloods
28th July 2006, 12:39 AM
According to the papers Mathews was on Kerr and was only "serviceable".

DST
28th July 2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
According to the papers Mathews was on Kerr and was only "serviceable".

What game was the paper watching?, I can't say he spent the whole day on him but he lined up on Fletcher at the start and ran with him for most of the second term.

From what I can remember, Ablett went to Judd, Dempster to Cousin and Stenglein to Kirk at the start.

Can anyone remember who Bolton lined up on at the start?

DST

swantastic
28th July 2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Matt79
Some may say that his career has never really started! Thats not very nice at all,he might be past it now BUT he has been very useful to the swans over the years and has done some pretty hard tagging jobs.

Captain
28th July 2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DST
What game was the paper watching?, I can't say he spent the whole day on him but he lined up on Fletcher at the start and ran with him for most of the second term.

From what I can remember, Ablett went to Judd, Dempster to Cousin and Stenglein to Kirk at the start.

Can anyone remember who Bolton lined up on at the start?

DST

Who played on Kerr then?

goswannie14
28th July 2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Captain
Who played on Kerr then? The trainers and the doctor for most of the game.;)

Lucky Knickers
28th July 2006, 01:28 PM
That must be why I remember Crouch running hard down the middle and kicking 8 goals!

Sorry - that was a dream.

Good onya Ben. Enjoy retirement - you certainly won't be the only second rater to get a premiership medal.

SimonH
28th July 2006, 01:46 PM
From the Writing His Epitaph Before He's Dead department:

I wouldn't include him in Sydney's best 22 now, but second-rater or not, lucky to have a premiership medal or not, how many of those who've found their way onto an AFL list reach 168 games? Roughly 3 to 5%, I'd hazard a guess.

And as he was well-entrenched in the side in Eade's time, no-one can claim that it's merely because he was a particular coach's pet.

Unlikely to make anyone's list of 'my top 10 favourite players of all time', but through hard work and determination he's gone a long way on talents that are roughly equivalent to an averagely good SANFL/VFA(VFL) player. Hats off to him.

This story would all be a nice, happy, contented one if he would retire gracefully. But it won't happen. The guy is only 27 years old, for gawsake. He could keep going for another 5 years! He will outlast most of the posters on RWO. And if you kill him, 10 more like him will come to take his place.

swannieserin
28th July 2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
And if you kill him, 10 more like him will come to take his place.

:eek:

snajik
28th July 2006, 02:23 PM
Wow. Another thread dedicated to the delights of herd mentality. Gets them out of bed in the morning I suppose.

Sanecow
28th July 2006, 02:28 PM
Moo!

dread and might
28th July 2006, 03:20 PM
Not my favourite player but Blooming 'ell..... few top 10 B+F finishes don't come by themselves

RogueSwan
28th July 2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Moo!
Baaa

hammo
28th July 2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by dread and might
Not my favourite player but Blooming 'ell..... few top 10 B+F finishes don't come by themselves
Considering votes are awarded by the coaching staff it naturally follows that their favourite players would poll well.

Jeffers1984
28th July 2006, 05:57 PM
Not quite Career, but definately at least the next 2 he won't be frustrating us.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19932671-23211,00.html

liz
28th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Considering votes are awarded by the coaching staff it naturally follows that their favourite players would poll well.

Or it could be that the players who perform the role asked of them week in, week out poll well, and become "coach favourites" in the process.

I am now more excited by what a Malceski, Dempster or Grundy can deliver to the team than a Ben Mathews but I think he's been a decent and consistent senior team contributor over a number of years and don't see the need to diss his past performances.

TheHood
28th July 2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by liz
Or it could be that the players who perform the role asked of them week in, week out poll well, and become "coach favourites" in the process.

I am now more excited by what a Malceski, Dempster or Grundy can deliver to the team than a Ben Mathews but I think he's been a decent and consistent senior team contributor over a number of years and don't see the need to diss his past performances.

Bingo.

Ben is a loyal servant and you can never say he played for his own causes. He did what was asked of him and I for one am chuffed Benny is a premiership player. He did what was asked of him until his fitness and skills could not longer deliver.

Don't bag Ben, celebrate his achievements and look forward to what the current crop of youngsters can produce.

goswannie14
28th July 2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
He did what was asked of him until his fitness and skills could not longer deliver. You've hit the nail on the head there TheHood. I think that is what has happened, but because he is in the leadership group he continues to be picked (When not injured) even though his form is lacking.

nomae
29th July 2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
but because he is in the leadership group he continues to be picked (When not injured) even though his form is lacking.
will someone pleeeease explain to me why benny is in the leadership group? :eek: the only reason i can find is because he has played 100+ games.

liz
29th July 2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by nomae
will someone pleeeease explain to me why benny is in the leadership group? :eek: the only reason i can find is because he has played 100+ games.

One would assume that it is because he is highly regarded by his team mates, given that they elect the leadership group.

smasher
30th July 2006, 05:19 AM
When I hear Matthews spoken about I always cast my mind back to Plugger and the jumper incident when big Tony made his short comeback.Matthews copped all the flack for not giving up the jumper but really the jumper should have been retired as others have,after all it was worn by the greatest full forward of all time.At the time I thought Benny was selfish but as time passes on I think good on him for sticking up for himself.He's been a very loyal servant to the Club and deserves continued opportunity.It just seems we have more players to choose from now and he,along with everyone on the list will have to earn their place in the one's.