PDA

View Full Version : MOL at FF

barry
1st August 2006, 11:43 AM
MOL is a great player. Fantastic mark, and very good one on one, but can we afford to keep him at FF when his kicking is shot.

If we had of lost the grand final, a fair amount of blame would have landed at his doorstep. Is it time to look for alternatives and have MOL play up the ground away from goal ?
Doyle, Grundy, even Hall back to FF ?

Jeffers1984
1st August 2006, 11:47 AM
Agree, time to play him on the flanks. He only has this season and next season to play him to the ground. His kicking is so much of a liability it is driving me nuts. I'm still of the opinion the Donkey should be our FF rotating in the ruck with Jolly who seems to make a good forward option of late.

Grundy is also a good option as he is a very very good mark one on one.

PerthSwannie
1st August 2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by barry
MOL is a great player. Fantastic mark, and very good one on one, but can we afford to keep him at FF when his kicking is shot.

If we had of lost the grand final, a fair amount of blame would have landed at his doorstep. Is it time to look for alternatives and have MOL play up the ground away from goal ?
Doyle, Grundy, even Hall back to FF ?

I tend to agree with you. This might sound crazy, but why not put Micky down in defence.(While he practices goal kicking through the week.)

I heard the the great Jason Dunstall used to spend every wednesday do goal kicking practice!

Sanecow
1st August 2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by PerthSwannie
why not put Micky down in defence

As a defender he makes a great Chaperone.

NMWBloods
1st August 2006, 12:10 PM
I think he needs to play up on the HFF. A few times in recent months he has shown that he can still be extremely useful working up from the flank to the wing. His disposal is only poor when he thinks about it too much.

woo
1st August 2006, 12:25 PM
of course he should be practising shots for goal, in other sports the goal kickers practise for an hour every day....so should our players...

pillowtalk
1st August 2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by woo
in other sports the goal kickers practise for an hour every day....so should our players...
Nick does.

cruiser
1st August 2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Agree, time to play him on the flanks. He only has this season and next season to play him to the ground. His kicking is so much of a liability it is driving me nuts. I'm still of the opinion the Donkey should be our FF rotating in the ruck with Jolly who seems to make a good forward option of late.

Grundy is also a good option as he is a very very good mark one on one. I agree Jeffers. While MOL doesnt like kicking from 30+ out, he often surprises himself and the rest of us with some of the tricky angle shots he puts through. His misses directly in front are potentially very costly.

dread and might
1st August 2006, 01:09 PM
Lately it's been more of his unbelieavable vision with slick handballs that have made him valuable. Therefore it makes sense that he should play further away from goal.

He could start in the goalsquare and then try to create confusion by taking his man away from there by coming out to the wing more. Many "Spine" backmen seem to dislike being taken away from their usual positions.

punter257
1st August 2006, 01:37 PM
i reckon he should stay - roosy will back him in and he'll come good - i doubt he could get any worse.......

hammo
1st August 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by woo
of course he should be practising shots for goal, in other sports the goal kickers practise for an hour every day....so should our players...
Mick spends all his time in Otto bins filled with ice

Young Blood
1st August 2006, 03:28 PM
He's done some very good work up the ground over the past couple of months. I'd like to see him start at FF and change from there to a flank through the course of a game. He's probably doing that now, but I'd like a bit more time on a flank.

melbloods78
1st August 2006, 10:56 PM
i dont think he has the mobility to play up the ground anymore. he is still very dangerous inside forward 50 and forwards can have off times. I prefer he misses 60 shos at goal now instead of in another grand final !!!!!

NMWBloods
1st August 2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by melbloods78
i dont think he has the mobility to play up the ground anymore. I think he's done some of his best work this year away from goals.

he is still very dangerous inside forward 50 Except when kicking for goals.

and forwards can have off times. Well he's had plenty of those of late.

I prefer he misses 60 shos at goal now instead of in another grand final !!!!! I don't think missing more now means he won't in a GF. Possibly the reverse.

melbloods78
1st August 2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I think he's done some of his best work this year away from goals.

He can only run in one direction these days he can't turn

Nico
2nd August 2006, 12:21 AM
For goodness sake, the man's had @@@@y knees for years. There is no way he can play up the ground save for the occasional stray outside 50.

Those who plonk for him to play in defence are truly practical jokers or really have no idea.

terzzo
2nd August 2006, 10:18 PM
If we had of lost the grand final, a fair amount of blame would have landed at his doorstep.

Have to agree that there would be a lot of fingers pointed at him.

swantastic
2nd August 2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by pillowtalk
Nick does. Put Mick HFF and Nick in goal square.Problem solved.:D

BigBadBarryNo1
4th August 2006, 04:42 AM
You guys have gotta be kidding.. he goes to the backs and he'll just be run off his feet..

Keep him around the 50M attacking arc to pawn it to the FF.. and a bit more near the ruck..

goswannie14
4th August 2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by terzzo
If we had of lost the grand final, a fair amount of blame would have landed at his doorstep. But we didn't lose, so this is hypothetical.

Boodnutz
4th August 2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBarryNo1
You guys have gotta be kidding.. he goes to the backs and he'll just be run off his feet..

Keep him around the 50M attacking arc to pawn it to the FF.. and a bit more near the ruck.. Mick should just be given a licence to go wherever he wants to whenever he wants to. Mick is a smart player and if he doesn't know by now where the best opportunity is for him to get a touch then he never will. I think the game plan for both he and Goodes is there is no plan. Follow your nose would be the only order. I'll watch Mick on Saturday night and see how many times he wanders of his own free will - without a runner telling him to go somewhere. I think that'll be most of the time.

Eala ?ireann
4th August 2006, 02:55 PM
I agree. I actually think he's playing great footy at the minute! Obviously he's not having great times in front of goal and I don't understand why he doesn't take a moment to compose himself, especially with his experience, but he is providing a lot for other players ang has a great football brain. He puts a lot ofo work in too. So, unlike Davis who pulls out great plays once in a while but is generally nothing to crow about, MOL works hard and if he isn't scoring he's creating.