PDA

View Full Version : My choice tonight....

CureTheSane
5th August 2006, 02:03 PM
Tonight I shall sit and research and book some accommodation overseas.

That's my choice.
I choose not to listen to the radio coverage of the game - football is much better when you can see what is happening.
I choose not to fly to Sydney to watch the game.
I choose not to pay somewhere between $50 and $100 per montgh for Foxtel which I would only use for viewing the 4 or 5 Swans games per year I cannot see. Also, I don't want my kids to have access to more TV options.

So I choose to miss the game totally tonight, just like last weeks game Vs Port.

I'm sure the AFL know what they are doing.
They choose to televise games with a 1 hr delay which are played here in Melbourne, and decide not to televise games which are played interstate.

Maybe I'll check out the scores in the Swans Vs Bombers thread here at times, just for interests sake.
My interests will not diminish in this season.
I'm sure that all the other Melbourne based supporters will not lose sight of the season, they are all as passionate as me and will patiently wait for next week when they will be able to travel to the MCG to watch the Melbourne game.
OR maybe they will just sit and home and watch the game on TV.
I know it's played in Melbourne, but I'm sure it will be televised with an hour delay.

Yep, the AFL have it all well under control......

PerthSwannie
5th August 2006, 02:16 PM
Do what I do. Go down to the pub and watch it on the big screen live. (Providing they have FoxFooty).

Damien
5th August 2006, 02:16 PM
Don't really get the point of your post!!! :)

If people choose not to have Pay TV they will miss some games. The way it has been for a long time and the way it will always be and the networks will choose the games that they think will rate the best.

Matt79
5th August 2006, 02:17 PM
I hear your thoughts, however...

I Choose...

* To pay $1200 a year for my wife and I to be Sydneysider members.
* To attend every home game, rain, hail or shine.
* To attend 3-4 away games per year + all finals.
* To have Foxtel as I love AFL and the Swans and appreciate watching other games as well.

And I am only a teacher so not a big income with a mortgage etc. However, footy is my hobby and passion so that is where alot of my money goes and I simply love following and supporting my team the Sydney Swans.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
I hear your thoughts, however...

I Choose...

* To pay $1200 a year for my wife and I to be Sydneysider members.
* To attend every home game, rain, hail or shine.
* To attend 3-4 away games per year + all finals.
* To have Foxtel as I love AFL and the Swans and appreciate watching other games as well.

And I am only a teacher so not a big income with a mortgage etc. However, footy is my hobby and passion so that is where alot of my money goes and I simply love following and supporting my team the Sydney Swans. $1200 a year thats pricey,any way good on Matt79/Mrs Matt79 for doing that.I have full vic mem for myself,wife,two kids and dog which i pay for because i get GF prefence if we make it and to all other finals games.I travel up to sydney 6/8 times a year for games and it does become pricey but well worth it,and i couldnt live without Foxtel.:D WE CHOOSE TO DO ALL THAT because we love the Bloods.

satchmopugdog
5th August 2006, 03:45 PM
My choice tonight as it's not televised is to go to a house warming with arty farty types who despise sport. So I will have severe withdrawal symptoms. Someone from RWO has helpfully said they will text me. RIPPER.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
My choice tonight as it's not televised is to go to a house warming with arty farty types who despise sport. So I will have severe withdrawal symptoms. Someone from RWO has helpfully said they will text me. RIPPER. Yes it is its on Fox tonight.

goswannie14
5th August 2006, 04:03 PM
My choice tonight is to grumble about why the Mrs won't be talked into having Austar.:eek:

My sister is taping it for me, although if we win, she might scrub it, as she is a Bummers member.

Seriously, we are both Full Vic members, baby Lily is a junior member (she's 7 months old now), we go to all Vic games that the Swans play and have been to 2 Sydney games, the SCG in the pouring rain was so much fun.

So I will listen on the net and hope I get to see a tape of the game during the week.

Grant
5th August 2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Tonight I shall sit and research and book some accommodation overseas.

That's my choice.
I choose not to listen to the radio coverage of the game - football is much better when you can see what is happening.
I choose not to fly to Sydney to watch the game.
I choose not to pay somewhere between $50 and $100 per montgh for Foxtel which I would only use for viewing the 4 or 5 Swans games per year I cannot see. Also, I don't want my kids to have access to more TV options.

So I choose to miss the game totally tonight, just like last weeks game Vs Port.

I'm sure the AFL know what they are doing.
They choose to televise games with a 1 hr delay which are played here in Melbourne, and decide not to televise games which are played interstate.

Maybe I'll check out the scores in the Swans Vs Bombers thread here at times, just for interests sake.
My interests will not diminish in this season.
I'm sure that all the other Melbourne based supporters will not lose sight of the season, they are all as passionate as me and will patiently wait for next week when they will be able to travel to the MCG to watch the Melbourne game.
OR maybe they will just sit and home and watch the game on TV.
I know it's played in Melbourne, but I'm sure it will be televised with an hour delay.

Yep, the AFL have it all well under control......

Come down to the Royal in Ferntree gully and watch it on their TV,thats what i'm doing

giant
5th August 2006, 05:00 PM
I've got a tough choice - go the game in the freezing cold & sleet or stay at home and fight for control of the remote with my missus who'll be wanting to watch Pies/Crows.

With any luck, the Crows will kick 10 in the 1st stanza & she'll be begging me to switch channels.

Frog
5th August 2006, 05:15 PM
I choose to take control of the remote control ... After I shirtfront my son and daughter for it - and then I will warn them to get out of my way, close their ears, unless they choose to sit with me - then I tell them to lubricate their throats ... All this happens about ten minutes before the match starts - My team, my TV, my remote - I love my Foxtel, and I happily pay the charges every month - Even if the odd Swans match is televised on Foxtel only and it is just about the only thing I get to see - Rest of the time, it keeps the kids quiet (except when they fight over said remote control).

You can only hide for so long, technology will catch up, even with your kids, some day - Why stop them, use it to your advantage.

But then, I suppose, a bit of research for a trip and accommodation overseas needs you to be careful with the pennies - maybe that's why there is no room in the budget for Foxtel - Each our own - And I'll be at the match next week.

And the AFL isn't going to change because you don't like it or because I don't like it or because everybody on RWO doesn't like it - To get through to the AFL brains we would need more than a hundred thousand people to NOT GO to the footy each week for a whole season (or two) - That is just about the only thing left that is going to (slightly) hurt them. Let me know when you are one short of this target and I'll join.

In the meantime - Let the game begin, I'll be ready to watch, scream and support my team.

CureTheSane
5th August 2006, 07:48 PM
The point of my post was to sook.

My main sook is about the AFL televising games into the city in which they are played when everyone who wants to see that game can go along to the ground and see the game live (usually)
What is the point of televising a game that is being played in the same city?
To reduce the takings on the gate?

I really don't care for myself that much, except when it happens two weeks in a row.

I'd go to the pub except for all the smoking
haha, see smoking thread.
I don't really GAF about smoking if it's legal in pubs, I'll put up with it, except for 2 point.
1) I won't remeber quarters 2 to 4 and
2) this weekend the kids don't go away to their other parents' so we have them all here.

The answer is really really easy.

I am prepared to not watch TV tonight, and to tape a replay of the game at 3am in the morning to watch tomorrow.

Something for the AFL to consider when they renegotiate the rights.
Except they've done that.
Maybe it was just a general understanding which can be fine tuned.

ScottH
5th August 2006, 09:32 PM
I agree with you CTS, while last week was a local game. Tonight they are both i/state and Coll V Ade is a bigger rating than Syd V Ess, currently.

Anywat, an Overseas holiday is better value than Fox Footy.

CureTheSane
6th August 2006, 11:52 AM
Damn straight!

And MY CHOICE today is to book a hotel room with pool access :D

swantastic
6th August 2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
.Anyway, an Overseas holiday is better value than Fox Footy. What about both thats even better,i do both and go to sydney for games,thats the life.

Nico
6th August 2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by giant
I've got a tough choice - go the game in the freezing cold & sleet or stay at home and fight for control of the remote with my missus who'll be wanting to watch Pies/Crows.

With any luck, the Crows will kick 10 in the 1st stanza & she'll be begging me to switch channels.

Give us a break Giant. It doesn't get cold in Sydney.

We folk in Melbourne were brought up on a menu of rain and hail as kids. Try going to Coburg Oval when North moved from Arden Street for a year and sit on bluestone blocks as seats in torrential rain for the whole match. Now that's real cold stuff. Give the dragon the flick for the night and get out and support your club.
What about a second telly.

Nico
6th August 2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
My choice tonight as it's not televised is to go to a house warming with arty farty types who despise sport. So I will have severe withdrawal symptoms. Someone from RWO has helpfully said they will text me. RIPPER.

Do you really enjoy their company that much? You really do have to revisit your priorities.

giant
6th August 2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Nico

We folk in Melbourne were brought up on a menu of rain and hail as kids. Try going to Coburg Oval when North moved from Arden Street for a year and sit on bluestone blocks as seats in torrential rain for the whole match. Now that's real cold stuff. Give the dragon the flick for the night and get out and support your club.
What about a second telly.

I admit, I'm as soft as butter. We've had more rainy games in Sydney this year than in the last 3 seasons together. Give me those barmy Sunday afternoon games under the blue blue Sydney winter skies.

Said dragon was - indeed still is - grumpy after the Pies loss (needless to say, she won the battle of the remote). Made all the worse coz I'm not even allowed to allude to the game as she's well aware it was a bewd result for the Swannies.

Nico
6th August 2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by giant
I admit, I'm as soft as butter. We've had more rainy games in Sydney this year than in the last 3 seasons together. Give me those barmy Sunday afternoon games under the blue blue Sydney winter skies.

Said dragon was - indeed still is - grumpy after the Pies loss (needless to say, she won the battle of the remote). Made all the worse coz I'm not even allowed to allude to the game as she's well aware it was a bewd result for the Swannies.

She's a Collingwood supporter eh. Has she got any front teeth and can you describe her tatts.

giant
6th August 2006, 12:55 PM
She's a Collingwood supporter eh. Has she got any front teeth and can you describe her tatts.

Nico, please....you're talking about my beloved. I couldn't possibly betray her trust by describing her tatts.

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 05:15 PM

We folk in Melbourne were brought up on a menu of rain and hail as kids. Try going to Coburg Oval when North moved from Arden Street for a year and sit on bluestone blocks as seats in torrential rain for the whole match. Now that's real cold stuff. When was that?:confused:

swantastic
6th August 2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
When was that?:confused: 1895 i think GS14 you remember back then,dont you.;)

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
1895 i think GS14 you remember back then,dont you.;) Where is that :flipping the bird: emoticon?:p

swantastic
6th August 2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Where is that :flipping the bird: emoticon?:p Good to have a chuckle:D

ScottH
6th August 2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Damn straight!

And MY CHOICE today is to book a hotel room with pool access :D A pool bar is also very handy!!