PDA

View Full Version : Swans v Bombers Match Thread

anniswan
5th August 2006, 07:21 PM
OK, this week I have the the right teams I think.

Here we go in an hour or so!

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2006, 07:59 PM
Sydney radar at the BOM (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR033.shtml) shows a few showers but nothing torrential in Sydney. What's the weather like at the ground?

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:04 PM
Looks OK in the lead up, people don't have poncho's on.

satchmopugdog
5th August 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm nervous.

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:11 PM
They are bouncing the ball so the ground is OK

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:12 PM
good way to get a live score, keep refreshing

http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/Technology/SCG_Scoreboard_Webcam.asp

Alibi Monday
5th August 2006, 08:13 PM
Can anyone else confirm that the AFL site is down for live scores? If so, you guys are my only hope from London.

satchmopugdog
5th August 2006, 08:14 PM
I can't get on AFL.com either.

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:15 PM
Goal to Lucas Bombers. 1.0 6 to nil

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:16 PM
keep refreshing the SCG Scoreboard site it's more accurate than the AFL

goswannie14
5th August 2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
I can't get on AFL.com either. Bloody AFL.com.au:mad: :mad:

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:18 PM
We are not looking the best

Monfiries just hit the post thank god

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
We are not looking the best

Monfiries just hit the post thank god

ROK is looking good had about 5 touches so far.

goswannie14
5th August 2006, 08:21 PM
Can't get on Swans site either.

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:21 PM
2 posters in a row to Essendon

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:23 PM
Goal to Grundy

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:24 PM
Once again we have the umpires against us. Hall being held and got a free against him, then got 50 mtrs as well.

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:25 PM
Snap by Phillips OOBOTF

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:26 PM
If people can't get any info on afl etc I'll go into the chat room and commentate

anniswan
5th August 2006, 08:28 PM
behind to essendon 1.4 to 1.0

Carolyn
5th August 2006, 08:29 PM
It looks like we scored!

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2006, 08:37 PM
Bazza goal - 4.0 to 2.4

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 08:41 PM
Not a particularly good quarter but we seemed to gradually get on top. Can we continue...

Best players for us are Jolly, Grundy, Ablett, O'Keefe.

Some useful cameos from J Bolton and Malceski.

Rest need to improve.

Nico
5th August 2006, 08:42 PM
Bevo's already got his mandatory HTB against him.

Legs Akimbo
5th August 2006, 08:52 PM
I keep refreshing the scoreboard and all I can see is a giant pack of players moving front spot to spot. Doesn't look too interesting.

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2006, 09:10 PM
I wish we could kick straight! :mad: We've gone from 4.0 to 5.9

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Disappointing second quarter. We completely dominated yet we kicked only 2.7!! Our ability to score goals remains an issue.

Jolly continues to be our best and I think Ablett is so far playing his best game of the season.

C Bolton doing a good job on Hird.

Grundy has some talent.

Some of the team good in parts and others not doing a lot.

They need to lift in the second half overall though.

It's a pretty ugly game to watch too.

Ground's in great condition though!

punter257
5th August 2006, 09:16 PM
very frustrating game - we should be at least 6 goals up

Legs Akimbo
5th August 2006, 09:32 PM
We are back in business on afl.com

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2006, 09:39 PM
How bloody soft was solomons' 2nd effort late in the Q2. Shame Baz didn't put it thru!

Loved Jolly swinging his rag doll!

Alibi Monday
5th August 2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
We are back in business on afl.com

Not for me :mad:

ScottH
5th August 2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Alibi Monday
Not for me :mad: Just keep pressing F5.

Glenn
5th August 2006, 09:42 PM
Enough to put anyone to sleep. I guess best can be said is that Sydney are doing enough win, but with plenty room left for improvement

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 09:43 PM
Nice goal to Ablett. What I like about his game tonight is he is being positive and attacking the ball.

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 09:51 PM
Great great play by Fosdike! Goal to MOL!! Finally!

S.U.D
5th August 2006, 09:55 PM
scores please

elroy67
5th August 2006, 10:01 PM
I've got live scores on 7 sport. 12 10 to 7 5 27min 3rd Q

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2006, 10:02 PM
Baz has received two frees in one night! :eek:

41 points ... 13 10 (88) to 7 5 (47)

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 10:06 PM
Much better - we kept attacking, showed more purpose and converted our chances.

anniswan
5th August 2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by S.U.D
scores please

Log onto the chat SUD, I am giving a live commentary.

Nico
5th August 2006, 10:08 PM
Nice set shot by Bevo. How good is this bloke.

goswannie14
5th August 2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Alibi Monday
Not for me :mad: I keep getting a 503 server error

Nico
5th August 2006, 10:21 PM
Did Grundy have a look?

Taken the foot off the pedal?

Nico
5th August 2006, 10:24 PM
P*** weak Kirk.

Nico
5th August 2006, 10:29 PM
We have genuinely stopped right now.

Thunder Shaker
5th August 2006, 10:37 PM
not anymore .. margin back out to 44 points

goswannie14
5th August 2006, 10:45 PM
Win by 43 points, now if Adelaide can just finish off the pies we're in 4th.:D

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 10:45 PM
Just an average last quarter.

As well as all the players I mentioned before I though Barry played well and Hall was good but could have been better.

Although his goal kicking is still garbage, MOL was very effective in the forward line and up on the flanks and wing tonight.

McVeigh is looking like he may become a very handy forward pocket type.

I like the look of Schmidt - didn't touch it a lot but has good hands, vision and decision making. I'm looking forward to him getting more game time.

Bevan and Richards add little to the side.

ScottH
5th August 2006, 10:52 PM
Jolly had a couple of hit outs --> 44

swantastic
5th August 2006, 10:53 PM
Bad kicking let us down again should have won by about 80 points.Whats happening with the boys ?we still go missing for a while.

Carolyn
5th August 2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Bad kicking let us down again should have won by about 80 points.Whats happening with the boys ?we still go missing for a while. They still got more goals than behinds though.

anniswan
Can someone please explain why advantage wasn't played and we got a goal, the it was kicked OOBOTF. But when the Magic free happened advantage was played and a behind was scored.

We won but the umpiring was questionable again.

ScottH
If pies go down we'll be in 4th spot.

122.5%

swantastic
5th August 2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn
They still got more goals than behinds though. Bout bloody time.Why wernt you at the game your from sydney?

Carolyn
5th August 2006, 11:00 PM
Bout bloody time.Why wernt you at the game your from sydney? My parents are sort of anti-sport. They are the type of people who just sit and read the business section of the newspaper. Even if I want to go to a Swans' game on my own, they get over-protective and won't let me, so I go with friends.:D

swantastic
5th August 2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Carolyn
My parents are sort of anti-sport. They are the type of people who just sit and read the business section of the newspaper. Even if I want to go to a Swans' game on my own, they get over-protective and won't let me, so I go with friends.:D Tell em to get over it your a big girl,they have got to let you go some time.

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2006, 11:05 PM
Jude's goal as good as Davey's?

anniswan
5th August 2006, 11:09 PM
We are 4th on the ladder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by anniswan
Can someone please explain why advantage wasn't played and we got a goal, the it was kicked OOBOTF. But when the Magic free happened advantage was played and a behind was scored. Advantage is not paid in the F50. MOL actually played on.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Jude's goal as good as Davey's? Better its by a SWAN.:D

R-1
5th August 2006, 11:22 PM
Thoroughly satisfying win, not too many negatives and a comfortable result, which is what you want against a lowly side. After a slow first ten minutes we dominated until the last quarter, then easily saw off their last quarter run.

I thought their long kicking exposed our defence a couple of times, but then I think it's been known for a while that quick long movement, to people who can take marks, is the surest way to beat our kinda under-sized defence, so that's nothing new.

O'Keefe and Hall BOG for mine, but there were only a couple of non-contributors.

Hell, even the umpires came onside towards the end of the game!Sort of.

Sanecow
5th August 2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by R-1
only a couple of non-contributors.

Phillips and Davis were the biggest non-contributors.

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2006, 11:35 PM
Ablett was absolutely outstanding tonight. Popped up everywhere, excellent in defence and was all over the ground in attack and defence.

Points to him, with Hall and O'Keefe.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 11:37 PM
Ablett YOOOOO ABLETT GREAT MARK:D

ugg
5th August 2006, 11:39 PM
- Agree with most of what has been said in here.
- I thought in the absence of Amon Buchanan, we had Luke Ablett and Jude Bolton stepping up their games.
- Craig Bolton hasn't been mentioned, but he totally shut out Hird of the game tonight.
- Darren Jolly was very good as well, continuing his good form from last week. - Mark Bolton kept Adam Goodes quiet yet again, not sure how this keeps happening.
- Dean Solomon got away with blue murder tonight against both Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin, he hardly kept his eyes on the ball at every contest.
- Tadhg Kennelly had his best game in a while, he really provided some thrust and penetration from the back half.

All in all a satisfying win and I think we are in good shape to face the Demons.

Nico
5th August 2006, 11:39 PM
The good signs:

Schneider looked like he regained a bit of form
Ablett's best game. He did a lot of positive things for a change, and seemed to look fitter, sharper, toned.
Schmidt can play. I suggest he aint going anywhere at season's end. Didn't get a lot of it but has sure hands and doesn't lack courage.
Fosdike was very good.
Kirk is running into form (take note ROK)
Jolly's was a top game.

The not so good things:

Teddy Richards was very tentative. Wooden hands. Have a go son, throw caution to winds. Might be just an 80% player. Looks the goods but looks are deceiving.
Paul Bevan seriously cannot play. 43 other players on the ground know how to get the ball off when tackled or about to be tackled. Not so our Bevo. It's not rugby for goodness sake. Besides you should have some idea how to kick if you are going to play the game at any level. Throw in a bit of nous also.
Side stuffed around too much going forward.

Apart from the fact that we went to sleep for 10 minutes in the last Q everything else was positive from where I sat.

ugg
5th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Richards is a passenger in the side at the moment. Compare his efforts in the forward line to that of Grundy and the difference is evident. Once the coaching staff deem Doyle ready to come into the seniors, Richards must go and not Grundy.

Nico
5th August 2006, 11:43 PM
Are we the worst set shot side in the comp. NMW, got any stats.

Lucky Knickers
5th August 2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ugg
- Agree with most of what has been said in here.
- I thought in the absence of Amon Buchanan, we had Luke Ablett and Jude Bolton stepping up their games.
- Craig Bolton hasn't been mentioned, but he totally shut out Hird of the game tonight.
- Darren Jolly was very good as well, continuing his good form from last week. - Mark Bolton kept Adam Goodes quiet yet again, not sure how this keeps happening.
- Dean Solomon got away with blue murder tonight against both Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin, he hardly kept his eyes on the ball at every contest.
- Tadhg Kennelly had his best game in a while, he really provided some thrust and penetration from the back half.

All in all a satisfying win and I think we are in good shape to face the Demons.

Right on Ugg. Was good to see us cover well without Monty. Would have been surprised if we hadn't tho'
Bolts was excellent in the contests against Hird. That punch in the Q2 (IIRC) was outstanding.
Solomon is SOFT. He practically filled up his "season lowlights" DVD tonight.

Goodes was shadowed by Lovett-Murray also.

What do the Bummers have agst McVeigh - is it the bro' town connection or does he just irritate Johnson et al?

Tadhg run was good, but thought his defensive work was a bit poor. He was late to the contest and outpositioned quite a few times in the D50.

Nico
5th August 2006, 11:48 PM
Can anyone tell me who Bevo was on. He was running around like a lost soul all night. Clearly the Bummers couldn't be bothered picking him up. Lack of respect perhaps.

ugg
5th August 2006, 11:50 PM
Seemed to me he was constantly swapping with Phillips as the half forward pushing on to the flank.

nomae
5th August 2006, 11:51 PM
i agree with pretty much everything nico said. richards is a passenger if there ever was one. why do we need a c-grade ruckman when joz is getting 40 hitouts a match? (he's leading the afl hitouts btw). kirk played well. about the best games i've seen out of noggy and o'keefe (best afield for mine). didnt see much of schmidt or fozzy. but i do think bevan can play. i saw a kick of his into barry in the forward line in the 2nd quarter and it was awesome. picked barry out in between two bombers players. the schneiderman was good, kept lovett quiet.
p.s. i heard some women singing, "i see you ryan, shakin that ass, shakin that ass" when ryan kicked a goal in the third quarter. anyone going to own up to it??? :D

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Are we the worst set shot side in the comp. NMW, got any stats. 'fraid not - I don't have set shot stats any more.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Are we the worst set shot side in the comp. NMW, got any stats. Have a look (http://afl.allthestats.com/statistics/teamstats.php)

NMWBloods
5th August 2006, 11:55 PM
Tadhg run was good, but thought his defensive work was a bit poor. He was late to the contest and outpositioned quite a few times in the D50. Kennelly's defensive work has alway been suspect.

His run off half back was good. He's nearly always very positive and attacking. Sideways nothing kicks are rare from him.

swantastic
5th August 2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Kennelly's defensive work has alway been suspect. Thats a bit harsh i think he is pretty good,but your right great run out of defence.

adnar
6th August 2006, 12:57 AM
Be nice if 1 or 2 of Jollys taps went to advantage.

Leeroy
6th August 2006, 01:25 AM
Had a good seat in the Brewongle tonite. ROK had 30 touches (got home in time to catch end of telecast) and made the most of them. His endurance and fitness is astonishing! Nog played his best game, 28 touches and a mark worthy of his uncle. Bolton C did a great job on Hird, but, after last week, JH was likely to struggle. Hird is the best player I've seen, it was a shame to see him give a free for ball. Lucas outplayed LRT, but he is a topliner and exactly the type of player who can stretch LRT - good thing there aren't many like him.

A good effort all round, the most complete and even game Sydney have played for months - even if Essendon are not the best opposition. Next week will be a true test, third spot on the line.

Leeroy
6th August 2006, 01:30 AM
And Tadgh must be carrying some kinda leg injury, he hardly got above a jog all night, and hasn't for weeks. His run and carry is sorely missed. Tho Leo is more often playing the role he did when Schauble was around (now that LRT is taking key forwards) which kinda made up for it. Rounds 20-22 could be a good opportunity to give a few guys a rest and some youngsters a chance to show what they're capable of.

liz
6th August 2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Leeroy
Lucas outplayed LRT, but he is a topliner and exactly the type of player who can stretch LRT - good thing there aren't many like him.

Lucas was certainly dangerous all night and won the duel. But I didn't think LRT was disgraced by any means. He kept his head and contributed well in clearing the ball from defence. It shows how far he has come in the past 15 months that he can play on a topliner, be just beaten but not lose his confidence.

Otherwise, there's not much to add to what's been said. Continued to be impressed by Malceski - he didn't get a huge amount of ball but he always looks dangerous when he had it. And Grundy, despite dropping out of the game a bit in the second half, just looks so comfortable at this level. He puts himself in the right place, tries to do the simple things well, and doesn't go overboard with celebrations when he scores.

Was very glad to see the Schneiderman step up in the absence of his mate. He's had a quiet last month and is definitely one who can contribute to a gradual improvement over the next two months.

robbieando
6th August 2006, 03:11 AM
LRT I think was found out by Lucus when Lucus played out of the goal square and forced LRT to play body to body. Other than that when LRT got the ball he passed off nicely to set up attacks and did also spoil a few Essendon marking attempts so not such a bad effort just got out marked once or twice by a bigger player and yet he still managed to have a good game and a impact on the game to boot.

Nico
6th August 2006, 12:16 PM
And Tadgh must be carrying some kinda leg injury, he hardly got above a jog all night, and hasn't for weeks. His run and carry is sorely missed. Tho Leo is more often playing the role he did when Schauble was around (now that LRT is taking key forwards) which kinda made up for it. Rounds 20-22 could be a good opportunity to give a few guys a rest and some youngsters a chance to show what they're capable of.

Cant agree Leeroy.

2 possessions last night and his stas have been very good over the past few weeks. They were saying on TV last night that mark McVeigh was trying to tag him out of the game. 22 possessions V 8 possessions tells the story. He just out ran McVeigh.

Nico
6th August 2006, 12:17 PM
Try 22 possessions. Typo mistake there.

NMWBloods
6th August 2006, 12:24 PM
Try using 'edit'!!

I thought Lucas beat LRT, as he did last year, however the difference to last year is LRT didn't look all at sea. He still has a lot to learn, as that goal by Lucas on the goal line showed, but he nows looks like he is being truly competitive, even when beaten, rather than a liability.

Missy
6th August 2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by nomae

p.s. i heard some women singing, "i see you ryan, shakin that ass, shakin that ass" when ryan kicked a goal in the third quarter. anyone going to own up to it??? :D

He he he..guilty as charged! There were two of us singing it. Funny.

hammo
6th August 2006, 01:47 PM
I certainly agree with most people's assessments.

Noggy's best game for a while and I though Fozzie was also a good player for us.

Agree that Richards, Bevan and Phillips are the weak links at the moment.

Grundy offers a lot to the forward line and should keep his place, but it would be great to be able to fit N.Davis, Donkey and Crouch back in before the finals.

Tuesday
6th August 2006, 03:56 PM
Bolton C did a great job on Hird, but, after last week, JH was likely to struggle.

How was Hird likely to struggle?
He was always going to be a danger for us, irrespective of how he played last week.

Gary
6th August 2006, 04:19 PM
Poor old Ted...always looks to me like he is waiting for mum to tell him what to do.
Remember Barry had a go at him last week...last night Ted saw him lead & gave him the "I see ya" nod...but couldn't deliver effectively.
Definitely a passenger...if Doyle is fit we must play him.
Best game ever by NOG & O'Keefe...but we need Buchanan & Crouch fit to really have a chance.

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Tuesday
How was Hird likely to struggle?
He was always going to be a danger for us, irrespective of how he played last week. No matter who they play Hird is always a danger.

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 05:21 PM
Try using 'edit'!! That doesn't help the post count though.;)

swantastic
6th August 2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
No matter who they play Hird is always a danger. Well i think that comment must be tounge in cheek,because he did bugger all last night.His body is not up to it any more especialy two big games in a row,IMO he should give it away at years end.

NMWBloods
6th August 2006, 07:16 PM
That doesn't help the post count though.;) Anyone can have all of mine. They're like a big target painted on you...

Piobaireachd
6th August 2006, 08:38 PM
Anyone can have all of mine. They're like a big target painted on you... That's why I change my name every season.

NMWBloods
6th August 2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
That's why I change my name every season. Hmmm clever... I like that idea...

OldE
6th August 2006, 09:00 PM
Hmmm clever... I like that idea...

And he's one post closer to 10,000 ;)

swantastic
6th August 2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Essendon.

http://www.theage.com.au/ftimages/2006/08/05/1154198381101.html

swantastic
6th August 2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
And he's one post closer to 10,000 ;) He will be spewin if we have another server crash:mad:

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 10:06 PM
That doesn't help the post count though.;) As I climb the top 10 posters list I feel the target getting bigger too.;)

swantastic
6th August 2006, 10:35 PM
As I climb the top 10 posters list I feel the target getting bigger too.;) Tell me when to shoot;)

cruiser
6th August 2006, 10:38 PM
Typical Essendon.

http://www.theage.com.au/ftimages/2006/08/05/1154198381101.html I wonder what Mr and Mrs McVeigh thought about this?

cruiser
6th August 2006, 10:39 PM
As I climb the top 10 posters list I feel the target getting bigger too.;) Replying to your own messages helps too. ;)

stellation
6th August 2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
I wonder what Mr and Mrs McVeigh thought about this?
They must be used to it by now, there is McVeigh on McVeigh action every year. If only J was as pretty as M, then that would be some hot, hot, hot McVeigh on McVeigh action.

swantastic
6th August 2006, 10:43 PM
Stats for game (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20033010%255E19773,00.html)

goswannie14
6th August 2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
Replying to your own messages helps too. ;) See what I mean.;)