PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Injuries

nomae
6th August 2006, 01:40 PM
we're looking pretty good this week with the amount of injuries melbourne has got- first davey and pickett are gone (two of their most important players, shown by the loss to carlton), then johnstone didnt play against carlton yesterday and robertson has had niggling knee injuries all year plus a shoulder problem he got against carlton- how lucky are we? ;)

hammo
6th August 2006, 01:41 PM
We are playing them at the right time. Melbourne were awful yesterday. And I now have great confidence that LRT can hold Neitz.

is2SWaNz
6th August 2006, 02:33 PM
lolo, very lucky we are! Pickett is out..and i see that he is one of the dangerous players who can drive the ball quickly into the forwards. Pity he is injured, but it's good news for us.

They played poorly yesterday against Carlton. We have a chance to move up to 3rd spot!!! =]]

Claret
6th August 2006, 03:28 PM
Byron was the difference when they beat us earlier in the year. Is a huge loss for them in the same way that Hamill is for the Saints.

swantastic
6th August 2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Claret
Byron was the difference when they beat us earlier in the year. Is a huge loss for them in the same way that Hamill is for the Saints. Melbourne have not beaten us for about 3 years in melbourne,and the injuries help.We haven't beaten them for about the same time in sydney either.

ScottH
6th August 2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by hammo
We are playing them at the right time. Melbourne were awful yesterday. And I now have great confidence that LRT can hold Neitz. Neitz has been pretty ordinary for the last 3 weeks. (tho he did manage 3 goals last week and 2 this week.).

Snowy
6th August 2006, 08:58 PM
Dr Brookner said on radio tonight that Robbo would be doubtful with a clear AC joint injury. He said that that type of injury usually results in one week on the sidelines.

swantastic
6th August 2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
Dr Brookner said on radio tonight that Robbo would be doubtful with a clear AC joint injury. He said that that type of injury usually results in one week on the sidelines. Bewty,but they will just jab him so he can play.

Goal Sneak
7th August 2006, 12:14 AM
Having alot of injured players didn't seem to help us against the West Coast. We will still have to take Melbourne very seriously for 4 quarters, not to mention kicking straight, in order to win. ( although apart from the 2.8 in the 2nd quarter we did kick pretty well against the Dons )

Wardy
7th August 2006, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking counting, chickens, hatching - dont write Melbourne off - they are one of our bogey teams - naturally I hope that we flog them - but I'm not getting too excited, just yet ;)

Schneiderman
7th August 2006, 10:02 AM
50/50 game.

RogueSwan
7th August 2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
Bewty,but they will just jab him so he can play.
They would be crazy if they did. You wouldn't risk seriously injuring (ie: out for 4+ weeks) one of your top players for one game would you? I think Melbourne are smarter than that. :confused:

giant
7th August 2006, 11:04 AM
There is no way that Melbourne will play as badly this week as they did vs Carlton. They now understand just how much (and how) they are missing Pickett & Davey & they'll try to adjust accordingly.

Besides there is an excellent chance Davey will play - I saw footage of him training last week & he looked pretty good. They'll be very keen for him to front up this week no matter what the risk.

Good chance Robbo won't play tho, which is nice coz he always plays a blinder vs us.

Jeffers1984
7th August 2006, 11:20 AM
Schneider has to be the one on Davey if he plays. Has the pace to match him and he did an excellent job on Lovett while getting alot of the pill himself.

Excellent year he is having.

liz
7th August 2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by giant

Besides there is an excellent chance Davey will play - I saw footage of him training last week & he looked pretty good. They'll be very keen for him to front up this week no matter what the risk.

I'd be amazed if they took any risks with Davey. He's pretty important to them and they won't want to be without him for finals. He relies on explosive speed, so two weeks even with a fairly minor hamstring strain isn't long given the risk of recurrence.

NMWBloods
7th August 2006, 11:35 AM
I think they'll leave Davey and Pickett out until rd 22. Give them a run to get some match fitness and then have them ready for finals.

Tougher decision on Robbo. He's been playing injured all season as it is. However a fresh injury adds to a pretty big burden he's carrying and so he really does need a week off, which he might get.

ugg
7th August 2006, 11:37 AM
Melbourne will look really silly if they play Davey and he aggravates the injury. From a Swans point of view I hope he doesn't play as he was excellent against us earlier this year (as was Pickett).

giant
7th August 2006, 03:53 PM
This game is absolutely critical for Melbourne - if they lose this, that means 3 losses in 4 games & deep pscychological damage as they threaten to spiral out of control in August for another year.

Rest assured, they will view this game just as critically as we do - for both clubs, this could realistically decide their premiership chances in 2006.

Davey looked to me like he could've played last week at a stretch & if any of you saw the Carlton game you'll know just how badly they missed him - they scored 10 goals from 50+ inside 50s!!! Without Davey, the ball rebounded out of their frwd line like one of those tennis ball hitting machines. Expect Davey to be there!

However, Johstone was another big omission from the Melbourne team on saturday - I have no idea why he wasn't there but he would be a good "out" for us especially at the MCG.

Lucky Knickers
7th August 2006, 03:57 PM
Crouch back for Davey if he plays would be the go.

As for how good they were earlier this year...not sure. They just beat us and we were pathetic and woeful. As usual we will continue the trend and beat Melbourne at the MCG.

giant
7th August 2006, 03:57 PM
This site has Johnstone as "diagnosis unknown" - presumably the same bug that struck down Crouch. They have him returning this week but I suspect that's a guess.

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php?team=Melbourne&mascot=Demons

bigswan
7th August 2006, 06:18 PM
Davey and Pickett definitely won't play. It would be a huge break for us if Jonstone was still out. Robertson has played with his injuries all season.This is a huge game for us. Melbourne at MCG is a different proposition than at the Dome.

Snowy
7th August 2006, 07:18 PM
Davey won't play, he's already had one major hammy last year, plus another one last week. If he did it again it would be curtains for this season. Are you sure the footage is not old file footage? Sometimes they show old film when reporting on a player. Dees hate TD, they'll be tougher at the 'G.

liz
7th August 2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
Crouch back for Davey if he plays would be the go.

As for how good they were earlier this year...not sure. They just beat us and we were pathetic and woeful. As usual we will continue the trend and beat Melbourne at the MCG.

I thought that game was a 50/50 game that either side would have been a little stiff to lose. Swans had more than their fair share of scoring opportunities and squandered many they should have kicked.

Dees played reasonably well but not brilliantly. Swans played reasonably well but not brilliantly. We were nothing like as woeful as against Port a couple of weeks earlier, and were probably better than in the win the previous week against Carlton.

ScottH
8th August 2006, 07:27 AM
Robertson forlorn (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20053270%255E19742,00.html)
The key forward looked forlorn at Melbourne's training session yesterday as he nursed what club officials said was merely a jarred right shoulder.

But Robertson was unable to use his right hand to even pick up the ball as he slowly walked laps at the Junction Oval.

floppinab
8th August 2006, 12:33 PM
Melbourne will go into this game very unsettled with these playmakers under clouds.

If we are a real threat this year we should account for them pretty easily, importantly this is our last visit to the 'G pre-finals, again important to show good form there.

SimonH
8th August 2006, 01:48 PM
If I were a Melbourne supporter, I'd rather see a fully-fit second-stringer in their forward line this week rather than Robbo, who's clearly not been 100% and has struggled to have the impact he had in 2005, with this latest setback on top of that. Just dragging yourself half-fit over the white line almost always backfires in big games. Of course he will draw a quality defender (maybe Leo if LRT takes Neitz), but I'm not too concerned about him playing.

A fit Travis Johnstone will be far more of a challenge for us.

While The Curse of Playing the Swans has hit Melbourne to some limited extent, as a total playing list they have fewer injuries than most clubs. They have certainly been unlucky with the importance of those players they have lost (in particular Pickett who's been in fearsome form), but I don't think there'll be any need to put an asterisk against this one, if we do win.

Snowy
8th August 2006, 11:48 PM
According to today's press Robbo really struggled to lift his arm at training yesterday.

giant
9th August 2006, 02:56 PM
According to today's press Robbo really struggled to lift his arm at training yesterday.

Tho to be fair to Robbo according to this article they were practising judo holds.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20065123-36035,00.html

Grant
9th August 2006, 03:34 PM
The news got a bit better today(or worse for dees fans)that Robertson,Johnstone,and Cameron Bruce are all in serious doubt for this week.SEN had a reporter at their training today and said he doubts any of them would play,and Daniher almost conceded the the same thing.
Whelan is also in a little bit of doubt and didnt train either.

hammo
9th August 2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Grant
The news got a bit better today(or worse for dees fans)that Robertson,Johnstone,and Cameron Bruce are all in serious doubt for this week.SEN had a reporter at their training today and said he doubts any of them would play,and Daniher almost conceded the the same thing.
I think the Swans at $5.50 for a 40+ win looks bloody good value if that's the case!

Jeffers1984
9th August 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm @@@@@@ for dream team finals!

Oh i mean great news for the swans if true. Lady Luck is on our side.

Albert Park
9th August 2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by giant

Davey looked to me like he could've played last week at a stretch & if any of you saw the Carlton game you'll know just how badly they missed him - they scored 10 goals from 50+ inside 50s!!! Without Davey, the ball rebounded out of their frwd line like one of those tennis ball hitting machines. Expect Davey to be there!

However, Johstone was another big omission from the Melbourne team on saturday - I have no idea why he wasn't there but he would be a good "out" for us especially at the MCG.

It's a quandry for the Melbourne Match committee. They will still make the finals if they lose to swans but they wont last the finals if Davey is badly injured. Same with Robertson.
Better to be fourth and have Davey to face Adelaide than be thrir and be undermanned against the Eagles' midfield on Subiaco
Besides , what about the well being of the player.The Demons arent Mad Eddie's Magpies. I heard on WLF that Davis and Dale Thomas might be thrown into the last rounds no matter what it does to them

ScottH
9th August 2006, 08:33 PM
Only addition to the above is that Miller should return this weekend. Hall has only kicked 4 goals on him in 2 games.

TheHood
9th August 2006, 08:48 PM
Neale playing games re Davey playing or not. Sydney will prepare as though he will play, though likely to pull out on Saturday is my guess.

swantastic
9th August 2006, 09:18 PM
Whelan is also in a little bit of doubt and didnt train either. The cards are falling our way.:D

DST
9th August 2006, 09:33 PM
Just watched on the couch with Neale Daniher.

Pickett is definately out, while Davey may still have a very slim chance of getting up but they are not likely to risk him.

Robbo really has no chance unless he plays with pain killers and with the finals close by that is very unlikely as he would be risking further injury.

Both Bruce and Johnstone are likely to play.

DST
:D

Snowy
9th August 2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by DST
Just watched on the couch with Neale Daniher.

Pickett is definately out, while Davey may still have a very slim chance of getting up but they are not likely to risk him.

Robbo really has no chance unless he plays with pain killers and with the finals close by that is very unlikely as he would be risking further injury.

Both Bruce and Johnstone are likely to play.

DST
:D

Johnstone and Bruce didn't train, looked ginger. The latter with a corked thigh will probably front though. They would be foolhardy to risk Davey.

Albert Park
10th August 2006, 06:54 AM
They would be foolhardy to risk Davey.
I hope they dont. Obviously it's better for the Swans but also I hope to see many years of Davey's magic and critical injury now could foreshorten that. Has any one else noticed how much he looks like Cathy Freeman (were talking about facial features)

swantastic
10th August 2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Albert Park
he looks like Cathy Freeman (were talking about facial features) Dont you mean facial hair?