PDA

View Full Version : Pay attention Roos

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:13 PM
I'm not in love with Bomber Thompson but Roos could learn a bit from this:

"Cam's back and he's going to play," Thompson said.

"We thought about not playing him, we really seriously did but it would harm our chances of winning this game and it's a pretty important game," Thompson said.

"He's been reported three times and copped a couple of weeks every time and he's hurt the club.

"Unfortunately I don't have a lot control on Cam but he's got to realise his behavior ? we just want him to play footy."

Source (http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=287750)

Use the media to send an open message to a player, maximize your chances of winning and avoid a media beat up. "We just want him to play football". Amen.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow

Use the media to send an open message to a player, maximize your chances of winning and avoid a media beat up.

That's why Geelong has not won a premiership in how many years?

Sides that accept that individual players are bigger than the team usually have limited success.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt79

Sides that accept that individual players are bigger than the team usually have limited success.

I hardly think that one premiership in over 70 years exactly makes Swans supporters experts in the matter.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:20 PM
And more to the point, Geelong have won a Premiership more recently than the Swans!

ROK Lobster
10th August 2006, 02:20 PM
Sides that accept that individual players are bigger than the team usually have limited success. Sydney have won 1 in 73 years. If not for some individual brilliance against Geelong it would be 0. Just because the club won a premiership last season does not make Roos or his lackeys infallible.

giant
10th August 2006, 02:21 PM
It would have been so much better if Roosy had just taken the easy cop-out.

Wouldn't have had all this bleating from Davis apologists for a start.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:23 PM
And more to the point, Geelong have won a Premiership more recently than the Swans!

Once again if Geelong wants to accept 2nd best and bask in the glory of a Pre season premiership then good for them.

However, I have seen more rewards in falling out first round in the pre season comp and preparing meaningfully for season proper than Geelong have reaped for a pre-season cup.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:24 PM
I hardly think that one premiership in over 70 years exactly makes Swans supporters experts in the matter.

No sorry not my point. But perhaps if Roos and the match committee did not take such a hard line in discipline and team rules when he took over the club we possibly would NOT have won any premierships.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:26 PM
Once again if Geelong wants to accept 2nd best and bask in the glory of a Pre season premiership then good for them.

However, I have seen more rewards in falling out first round in the pre season comp and preparing meaningfully for season proper than Geelong have reaped for a pre-season cup.

Of course, who could forget the glorious season of success that followed this:

http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?page=2004/wizround01.php

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:29 PM
Of course, who could forget the glorious season of success that followed this:

http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?page=2004/wizround01.php

We lost to the Bulldogs round 1 last year in the pre season cup and if my memory serves me correctly, I think we won something major on the last Saturday in September.

i'm-uninformed2
10th August 2006, 02:30 PM
With all the lovin' going on down Geelong this week, they seem to be bonding closely - much like a first wives' club . . .

NMWBloods
10th August 2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Sydney have won 1 in 73 years. If not for some individual brilliance against Geelong it would be 0. Just because the club won a premiership last season does not make Roos or his lackeys infallible. Amazing isn't it...

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:33 PM
We lost to the Bulldogs round 1 last year in the pre season cup and if my memory serves me correctly, I think we won something major on the last Saturday in September.

I think you'll find that deliberately bombing out in the first round of the pre-season (to protect those individual players you see as bigger than the team, incidentally) rarely translates into a premiership.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:34 PM
I think you'll find that deliberately bombing out in the first round of the pre-season (to protect those individual players you see as bigger than the team, incidentally) rarely translates into a premiership.

Where did I say deliberately bombing out?

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:36 PM
Where did I say deliberately bombing out?

If it was accidental you don't have any point at all.

liz
10th August 2006, 02:37 PM
The Mooney and Davis situations are not identical. Geelong are frustrated with Mooney's onfield transgressions, relatively minor, though clearly of some consequence, acts of undisciplined aggression.

Although the "form and fitness" line was trotted out with Davis, it seems pretty clear that there was slightly more to it with Davis, and that he has not always adhered to club rules designed to ensure he and his team mates always front up in the best possible shape for a match. None of us - not the Davis apologists; not the Roos apologists - actually knows the extent or persistance of these issues but even Davis has acknowledged that they do (or did) exist.

Further, Mooney has been a consistently good onfield performer this year for Geelong. He would almost certainly be in their top 5 in their B&F this year. Notwithstanding the fact that Davis in undoubtedly capable of flashes of brilliance that few, if any, of the other Swans are able to produce, we saw it so rarely this year up to the point he was dropped that it is not a no-brainer that the team is currently better with him in than without him.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 02:39 PM
If it was accidental you don't have any point at all.

Incorrect, you made the point that Geelong had won a 'premiership' more recently than us.

I replied by saying I am more than happy to get knocked out first round than win the pre season cup. I would much rather go on and win the real premiership than bask in the so called glory of a pre season victory anyday.

JudesaGun
10th August 2006, 02:42 PM
Face it everyone, Davis is a cocky little @@@@ who got what he deserved! There's no harm in giving him a few more weeks to stew on it. He's been given that many chances and easy runs in the past (he said he wanted to quit AFL, to play NRL FFS!), it is about time someone put him in his place. The simple fact is, a routine 1-2 weeks in the 2s would have done nothing to discourage his behaviour. For the first time in his life, he has to work for something and it will only make him a better person and a better player!

Swanner
10th August 2006, 02:45 PM
I couldn't care less if Cam Mooney comes back or not.

What is absolutely certain is that Roos is the best coach in the competition.

If he wanted to leave Sydney he could have any other coaches job.

We are lucky we have him as coach.

IMO i would like Davis back straight away as i really enjoy watching him play. What i would like even better though is Davis playing at his absolute best...because as the Gelong games shows... he is a matchwinner.

I reckon that he needs to be put out of his comfort zone a lot to get the best out of him.

This is what Roos is doing and it sounds like Davis is responding well. So why don't we lay of Roosy.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 02:46 PM
Incorrect, you made the point that Geelong had won a 'premiership' more recently than us.

Well, because they have.

I replied by saying I am more than happy to get knocked out first round than win the pre season cup.

An odd preference.

I would much rather go on and win the real premiership than bask in the so called glory of a pre season victory anyday.

Half the teams lose in round one of the preseason and I'm pretty sure they don't all win in September.

nugget
10th August 2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Swanner
I couldn't care less if Cam Mooney comes back or not.

What is absolutely certain is that Roos is the best coach in the competition.

If he wanted to leave Sydney he could have any other coaches job.

We are lucky we have him as coach.

IMO i would like Davis back straight away as i really enjoy watching him play. What i would like even better though is Davis playing at his absolute best...because as the Gelong games shows... he is a matchwinner.

I reckon that he needs to be put out of his comfort zone a lot to get the best out of him.

This is what Roos is doing and it sounds like Davis is responding well. So why don't we lay of Roosy.

You are joking if you seriously think Paul Roos is the best coach in the competition. Paul Roos does a very good job, but best, I don't think so.

hammo
10th August 2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by nugget
You are joking if you seriously think Paul Roos is the best coach in the competition. Paul Roos does a very good job, but best, I don't think so.
I think Lethal is the best coach with Roos a close second.

If Davo is selected tonight I may change my view ;)

Matt79
10th August 2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by nugget

Who is better then and why?

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 03:48 PM
Who is better then and why?

Coaches with more premierships to their name.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 04:00 PM
Coaches with more premierships to their name.

Stupid theory.

Should we get Malcom Blight to the Swans beacuse he has more premierships than Paul Roos?

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 04:06 PM
Stupid theory.

Should we get Malcom Blight to the Swans beacuse he has more premierships than Paul Roos?

Firstly, we are talking about current coaches and secondly, if you don't judge a coach by the number of premierships he's won, what metric do you use?

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 04:26 PM
Firstly, we are talking about current coaches and secondly, if you don't judge a coach by the number of premierships he's won, what metric do you use?

You might use that metric to judge their performance over the course of their careers, but not at a given point in time. For example, there's no way that Denis Pagan and Kevin Sheedy have coached better over the past 2 years than Paul Roos, Neil Craig and John Worsfold - and that's taking into account the relative ability of the players at their disposal.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Young Blood
You might use that metric to judge their performance over the course of their careers, but not at a given point in time. For example, there's no way that Denis Pagan and Kevin Sheedy have coached better over the past 2 years than Paul Roos, Neil Craig and John Worsfold - and that's taking into account the relative ability of the players at their disposal.

Nonsense. Pagan and Sheedy could coach the 2006 Sydney, Adelaide or West Coast lists to victories over Carlton or Essendon any week you want to try it out. Moreover, Sheedy has coached his rabble to multiple victories over Sydney this year.

Ruck'n'Roll
10th August 2006, 04:36 PM
I've been a Swan fan for a long time and I've seen lots and lots of spectacular/entertaining/controversial Swans players (look at all the Brownlow medalists we produce). And frankly I've had my fill of them! On the other hand I've only ever seen one ultimately successfull Swans team, and I've nowhere near had my fill of premierships.
So Raul Roos can instruct his players to play whatever style he likes, he can crush Nick Davis' precious talent as much as neccasary, I don't care. I want another Flag and Paul Roos seems by far the most likely coach to achieve that end.

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 04:43 PM
Nonsense. Pagan and Sheedy could coach the 2006 Sydney, Adelaide or West Coast lists to victories over Carlton or Essendon any week you want to try it out. Moreover, Sheedy has coached his rabble to multiple victories over Sydney this year.

That's not the point. I'm saying that Roos, Craig and Worsfold would do better with any given team than Pagan or Sheedy would with the same
group.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 04:46 PM
That's not the point. I'm saying that Roos, Craig and Worsfold would do better with any given team than Pagan or Sheedy would with the same
group.

But it's just opinion, not like the cold, hard fact of Premierships in the cabinet.

SimonH
10th August 2006, 04:55 PM
Nonsense. Pagan and Sheedy could coach the 2006 Sydney, Adelaide or West Coast lists to victories over Carlton or Essendon any week you want to try it out. Moreover, Sheedy has coached his rabble to multiple victories over Sydney this year. 1. Your statement doesn't rebut the point you were responding to. The fact that I would back myself to coach Sydney to a R22 victory over Carlton, doesn't mean that I'm a better coach than Roos (or Pagan). Hint for argument construction: your statement would be valid if you could prove that a Pagan-coached Swans would beat a Roos-coached Carlton by a greater margin than if they were sitting in their usual seats.

2. The 'more premierships = better coach' formula is appealingly simplistic, and like most things that are appealingly simplistic, it doesn't withstand analysis. It demonstrates a huge bias in favour of the long-serving coach, which in turn favours those who:
a) don't want to go in, do a job for a few years, and leave, and
b) are able to work the internal politics of their club to avoid sacking.
Neither of which are good guides of a given person's likelihood of bringing Sydney a premiership in the, say, 2007-2009 period. If raw premiership numbers is the only criteria, then why shouldn't Sydney appoint Jock McHale as its new coach? Oh, they have to be living, do they? Now you're just cluttering up the formula with unnecessary complications. Even within the realms of the simplistic, then the proportion of premierships:years coached is a far better measure. (Roos wins that one over Sheedy easily, with a ratio of 1:3 as opposed to roughly 1:6.25). But in truth there are so many other confounding factors (club finances, quality of cattle when the coach arrives, length and cost of contracts for existing cattle when coach arrives, level of control given to the coach in getting new cattle, injuries, etc etc) that it's an impressionistic exercise that can't be reduced to numbers.

3. You really are a huge fan of the pre-season cup, aren't you? Is it because you can see some correlation between results in it, and regular-season results, that isn't apparent to the rest of us? Or do you think it's just an important end in itself?

Tuco
10th August 2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by liz
The Mooney and Davis situations are not identical. Geelong are frustrated with Mooney's onfield transgressions, relatively minor, though clearly of some consequence, acts of undisciplined aggression.

Although the "form and fitness" line was trotted out with Davis, it seems pretty clear that there was slightly more to it with Davis, and that he has not always adhered to club rules designed to ensure he and his team mates always front up in the best possible shape for a match. None of us - not the Davis apologists; not the Roos apologists - actually knows the extent or persistance of these issues but even Davis has acknowledged that they do (or did) exist.

Further, Mooney has been a consistently good onfield performer this year for Geelong. He would almost certainly be in their top 5 in their B&F this year. Notwithstanding the fact that Davis in undoubtedly capable of flashes of brilliance that few, if any, of the other Swans are able to produce, we saw it so rarely this year up to the point he was dropped that it is not a no-brainer that the team is currently better with him in than without him.

I think Liz sums this up well.

Geelong are a club under pressure. They've failed to perform to the expectations loaded on them in the pre-season. And Cam's suspension led to a lot of offield calls for the club to take a stance - especially as his latest infringement could potentially have ended their hopes of making the finals.

In Davis's case there wasn't a media campaign against him in particular. However, there was definitely a number of changes on the offing due to some below par performances by the team as a whole.

To say that the way Thompson handled Cam's suspension is a template for what should have happened in the Davis case doesn't really equate for mind

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 04:57 PM
But it's just opinion, not like the cold, hard fact of Premierships in the cabinet.

It's notoriously difficult to measure quality of performance.

If you choose to use number of premierships as your measure of 'current best coach', then you have to stand by Kevin Sheedy as #1 and Denis Pagan as #3. I think those results demonstrate that the measure is no good.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 05:16 PM
Since 2002, Leigh Matthews, Mark Williams and Neil Craig have better win % than Roos and Leigh Matthews and Mark Williams have the same number or more premierships. These coaches all have performed better than Roos over the same period.

Source (http://afl.allthestats.com/coaches/coachrecs.php?t1=&t2=&yrfm=2002&yrto=2006&gnd=0)

FootyontheBrain
10th August 2006, 05:20 PM
So let me get this straight. Roosy's supposed to pay attention to the musings of Mark Thompson and the consistently underachieving Geelong Cats?

Maybe we could set up a conference call with Grant Thomas and Chris Connolly for some of their pearls of wisdom while we're at it.

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 06:18 PM
Since 2002, Leigh Matthews, Mark Williams and Neil Craig have better win % than Roos and Leigh Matthews and Mark Williams have the same number or more premierships. These coaches all have performed better than Roos over the same period.

i think you've identified the top 4 coaches of the period.
Matthews coached an all-star team to 3 consecutive flags. He got as much out of that group as you could hope for.
Williams took Port to 3 consecutive McLelland Trophies, but made it to only one GF, which they deservedly won.
Craig is developing a similar record in home and away matches, but the Crows failed in his only finals foray so far.
Roos' home and away record is not as strong as that of Williams or Craig, but he took his team to the flag in the first year they were genuine contenders.

I don't agree that Williams and Craig have performed better simply because they have better win %s.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes: Roos is best 'coz me and me mates reckon he's tops an' that.

Well, 0 / 10 for any facts backing your claim.

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 06:30 PM
:rolleyes: Roos is best 'coz me and me mates reckon he's tops an' that.

Well, 0 / 10 for any facts backing your claim.

Why don't you think about what people have said before diving in with putdowns? I didn't say I think Roos is the best, I just said that I'm not convinced by your use of statistics to suggest that he's not as good as others.

I don't think its clear whether Roos is a better coach than Craig or Williams, and I definitely don't think that you can prove it one way or another by using highly imperfect indicators of performance. In some areas of life, facts can only get you so far.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 06:37 PM
Well @@@@ me, if you don't consider win % or premierships as a measurement, then what is it he's meant to be doing exactly? Making good wise cracks at press conferences? Trotting around in tracky dacks?

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Well @@@@ me, if you don't consider win % or premierships as a measurement, then what is it he's meant to be doing exactly?

Still going with the smart arse remarks?

The question you answered wasn't 'What is a coach's objective?' but rather 'How should his performance be assessed?'

Not long ago, you were saying that Pagan and Sheedy could coach the 2006 Sydney, Adelaide or West Coast lists to victories over Carlton or Essendon. Your point seemed to be that the strength of the playing list is relevant to determining how to assess a coach's performance. Now you seem to be saying that its only the results of the team that matter.

Let me ask you this: who has been the better coach in 2006: Terry Wallace or Mark Thompson?

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 07:04 PM
The question you answered wasn't 'What is a coach's objective?' but rather 'How should his performance be assessed?'

What is the difference? He is there to coach a team to wins and ultimately win Premierships. Therefore, the win % and number of premierships won are the only meaningful measurements of success. Paul Roos is not the best performer over the period of his coaching record.

Obviously team lists have an effect. Roos has not been around long enough for us to see how he would coach a poor team (and the current list is far from poor despite the spin he likes to give to impress upon everyone how great he is for getting a "blue collar" team to succeed).

This is why many rate career coaches with multiple premierships higher than a flash-in-the-pan who perhaps arses one early. Roos is no more a great coach than Ryan Fitzgerald was a great full forward (5 goals on debut, woot!)

Young Blood
10th August 2006, 07:35 PM
What is the difference? He is there to coach a team to wins and ultimately win Premierships. Therefore, the win % and number of premierships won are the only meaningful measurements of success.

I'll finish where I started. I think these are reasonable measures when reviewing a coach's career, but not when determining who is the better coach at a given point in time.

BTW, if you do want to use your approach, it's a bit unfair to include the 2002 premiership in Roos' period, given we were out of contention for the flag by the time he took over. So Roos would be level with Matthews and Williams (on one premiership each) as the 'best coach' of his era. But I wouldn't use your approach.

And if you want to compare Roos to a player, then I think Chris Judd would be a better analogy: both performed extremely well in their first two years, before winning the highest possible accolade (Brownlow/GF) in year 3.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm yet to read any alternative method of rating a coach from the Paul Roos is #1 brigade.

swannymum
10th August 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm yet to read any alternative method of rating a coach from the Paul Roos is #1 brigade.

Why the frequent attacks on Roosy?? He's doing a great job and nobody is perfect. And for that matter, why the attacks over recent weeks over our premiership players. We all have our off days!!

Can anyone here claim to be perfect?? :confused:

AussieAnge
10th August 2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by swannymum
Can anyone here claim to be perfect?? :confused:

Heaps can claim to be perfect and they probably will.;)

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 08:00 PM
There are some people on RWO who truly believe that Paul Roos is.

originalswan
10th August 2006, 08:16 PM

Where did you get these so called FACTS? Neil Craig only started coaching in 2004 (so how do you use the base year of 2002?)- Prior to this season his winning percentage was 65% - Mark Williams' winning rate is 63% over 7 seasons up to 2005 - Surely this has fallen this year!!! Surprisingly for a four time Premiership coach Leigh Matthews' winning rate over his coaching career up to the end of 2005 was 62%. NOTE: Paul Roos' winning rate to the end of 2005 was 63% YES statistics can be used to sway any argument can't they???

Nico
10th August 2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Sydney have won 1 in 73 years. If not for some individual brilliance against Geelong it would be 0. Just because the club won a premiership last season does not make Roos or his lackeys infallible.

John "lacky" Longmire.

Ross "lacky" Lyon.

Peter "lacky" Jonas.

Have a certain ring to them.

Nico
10th August 2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by liz

Thanks for that Paul.

Nico
10th August 2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by FootyontheBrain
So let me get this straight. Roosy's supposed to pay attention to the musings of Mark Thompson and the consistently underachieving Geelong Cats?

Maybe we could set up a conference call with Grant Thomas and Chris Connolly for some of their pearls of wisdom while we're at it.

I am with you Brain, Roosey will do me.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by originalswan
Where did you get these so called FACTS? Neil Craig only started coaching in 2004 (so how do you use the base year of 2002?)- Prior to this season his winning percentage was 65% - Mark Williams' winning rate is 63% over 7 seasons up to 2005 - Surely this has fallen this year!!! Surprisingly for a four time Premiership coach Leigh Matthews' winning rate over his coaching career up to the end of 2005 was 62%. NOTE: Paul Roos' winning rate to the end of 2005 was 63% YES statistics can be used to sway any argument can't they???

Follow the link, genius. I chose 2002 because Roos started coaching in 2002.

Schneiderman
10th August 2006, 08:23 PM
Well @@@@ me, if you don't consider win % or premierships as a measurement, then what is it he's meant to be doing exactly? Making good wise cracks at press conferences? Trotting around in tracky dacks?

Venomous today aren't we?

Simple fact is that Roos took over a team that was 3 wins out of 12 starts in 2002, having lost their last 6 games in a row (3 of them at home). Tony Lockett had made an aborted attempt to return and resurrect the team, Schwatta had abruptly retired, and the team was seen as a certainty for the spoon the next year. Dont forget all that.

In the space of three years, despite the retirements of two TOC players in Kelly and Cressa, arguably one of our best FBs in Dunkley, and Bazza's renowned anger having already cost him 5 games in only his first year at the Swans, we won a premiership.

Over those three years, we were the only team to even coming close to breaking even with one of the best teams ever assembled in the Lions. We also beat the most successful (in % terms) team in Port at their own ground in a QF in the year we were tipped to finish last. And we succesfully negotiated past three teams tipped to be dominant over the next decade in the Saints, Geelong and WCE on the way to the flag.

You can bag him all you like Cow, but his record stands for itself, and you'll never convince me he is anything other than brilliant. And let's not forget his brilliance as a player to boot.

Nico
10th August 2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

Simple fact is that Roos took over a team that was 3 wins out of 12 starts in 2002, having lost their last 6 games in a row (3 of them at home). Tony Lockett had made an aborted attempt to return and resurrect the team, Schwatta had abruptly retired, and the team was seen as a certainty for the spoon the next year. Dont forget all that.

In the space of three years, despite the retirements of two TOC players in Kelly and Cressa, arguably one of our best FBs in Dunkley, and Bazza's renowned anger having already cost him 5 games in only his first year at the Swans, we won a premiership.

Over those three years, we were the only team to even coming close to breaking even with one of the best teams ever assembled in the Lions. We also beat the most successful (in % terms) team in Port at their own ground in a QF in the year we were tipped to finish last. And we succesfully negotiated past three teams tipped to be dominant over the next decade in the Saints, Geelong and WCE on the way to the flag.

You can bag him all you like Cow, but his record stands for itself, and you'll never convince me he is anything other than brilliant. And let's not forget his brilliance as a player to boot.

As I just said, Roosey will do me. How can anyone genuinely argue against that one Schneids. By the way your boy is just running into form and loves the "G".

originalswan
10th August 2006, 08:54 PM
Follow the link, genius. I chose 2002 because Roos started coaching in 2002

Absolute Genius using 2002 for Craigs statistics EVEN BEFORE HE started to coach - Absolute Genius!!!!!

What about my comparative statistics no reply???

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 09:02 PM
Absolute Genius using 2002 for Craigs statistics EVEN BEFORE HE started to coach - Absolute Genius!!!!!

It includes every game coached since 2002. Craig only has half as many games as Roos but win % is a ratio so big deal. It is a comparison of Craig and Roos total coaching careers.

What about my comparative statistics no reply???

Ignored as irrelevant: "prior to this season" / "up until the end of 2005" etc. Of course if you cherry pick you can prove what you want. This is why I have suggested comparing the win % and premierships won since Roos started coaching. Feel free to actually follow the link.

smartplay
10th August 2006, 10:14 PM

I will put the argument that Roos is no big deal:
1) we won last year final with excellent luck due to relative injury free run and many injured opponents in the final games. Top credit should be given to the Swan physical fitness guy. I dont believe Roo has much input this area.

2) Swan has a core team of players that have matured over the past years with Hall, Ball, Goodes etc. Lockett in his last few years with the Swan was hampering Swan progress due to his lack of mobility - an easy target for opponents to negate his influence/stop Swan winning progress despite the strength of Cresa/kelly. The totally immoible strong Dunkley has more disadvantages than advantages eg unable to attack or lead out from the back. All it takes is a reasonable thinking coach to harness the player strength and go with the new "faster" game techniques, including running full forward & mobile/attacking full back. A coach of Blight or richmond coach calibre would have seen this immediately. And Hall had to make the decision whether he wanted to go the "bad" bustling ways & copped heavier suspensions & inflict pain to hs team or turn over a new leaf. Roo was lucky that he inherited the swan team and hall's turn around. Any good coach would be able to turn hall around.

3) He constantly put down the players before many games in the past, such as saying that we are not champions, we dont have star quality material etc etc. Why are there not MORE encouragement from him to bring up the players strength/moral/confidence BEFORE many game began in the past(I am not referring to his comments after the games when the results are already known)

4) Earlier in the competition this year, he has "false pride" in just playing the same players without introducing (&training) good reserve players though there were clear evidence there was a strong need for the good reserve to come in earlier, rather than continuing semi-injured players eg Crouch or continuing out of form players eg Mathew. We are very lucky that we won in the past few games when many new players were introduced at the SAME time. Wrong approach.

5) From the current Davis affair, he appears to be a control freak & appears to be beating around the bush for not recalling Davis.
The current team, including Davis, has GIVEN him alot. Cut THEM them some slack. If Davis has a real problem, say whatever it is since it is in the open because there are many Swan supporters who love to see him in action to help HIS team.

he was very lucky to inherit the current swan team. another good coach could have done better at this point of time.

originalswan
10th August 2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by smartplay
. he was very lucky to inherit the current swan team. another good coach could have done better at this point of time.

Perhaps 2 or 3 Premierships?

Did you follow the Swans when Rodney Eade was coaching in his last year? Didn't you see the immediate turn around in form and attitude from the very same players.

Roosy came in with a five year plan to deliver the ultimate. He did it in 3 full seasons - I may not agree with everything that Roosy may do but how can you actually question what he has contributed, especially in galvanising the team and delivering a Premiership. Some people will simply never be happy!

Matt79
10th August 2006, 11:24 PM

Cow, sometimes I find your posts thoughtful and well thought out but your arguement on Paul Roos is flawed.

He came to the the club in 2002 with a 3 year plan to win a premiership. In the third year, he and the players delivered. He has followed that up with a season thus far that has been competitive and we are on the cusp on challenging yet again.

What more do you want or expect from Paul Roos or the club at this present time?

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 11:25 PM
What more do you want or expect from Paul Roos or the club at this present time?

That they field the best available team.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 11:28 PM

We are 3 and 0 in the last three weeks, winning convincingly. I cannot see a great reason to make many changes.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 11:37 PM
We are 3 and 0 in the last three weeks, winning convincingly. I cannot see a great reason to make many changes.

Box Hill under 14's could have won against the teams we have played in the last three weeks. If Phillips seriously deserves a seniors game more than the rest of the reserves team then the 1. we must have terrible reserves and 2. the ACT must be a truly dud league.

Matt79
10th August 2006, 11:42 PM
Box Hill under 14's could have won against the teams we have played in the last three weeks. If Phillips seriously deserves a seniors game more than the rest of the reserves team then the 1. we must have terrible reserves and 2. the ACT must be a truly dud league.

Mate, I think obviously you should coach the team because according to every comment you make, Paul Roos is doing a crap job and you know better than everyone else.

I reckon there are 12 or so other clubs that wouldn't mind his services.

Chow-Chicker
10th August 2006, 11:45 PM

Use the media to send an open message to a player, maximize your chances of winning and avoid a media beat up. "We just want him to play football". Amen.

Hahahahahaha, sorry, excuse me while I hiccup! Roos learn something from Thompson? Ummm, is that how to get your team to choke in a final? Please be serious. Geelong have won a flag more recently than us............sheesh, you are scraping the bottom of the barrel aren't you??? You seriously count pre-season premierships as a real "premiership"? They would have played what, 3 or 4 games to "win" the premiership? Yep, that's dominance! Which teams did they play to become heroes? Excuse me while I get another glass of water. Ahhh, that's better. Paul Roos is the current AFL Premiership coach. He has the team perched in the top 4, perhaps poised to challenge the premiership cup as back to back. And you want him to learn something from Bomber Thompson who has coached a team that choked when it mattered most, and has his team currently in 9th position, and extremely unlikely of making the 8? Hahahahahaha

Frog
10th August 2006, 11:46 PM
They are. Just because you don't agree with that doesn't mean it isn't. You are not the greater of the two, matter of fact, what you or I think is rather meaningless if the deliverables are taken into account. You deliver little, I deliver less - Roos and the (Swans) team delivered a premiership last year - They have every right to speak and do as they please.
There is no room for individuals in a team - Davis can do what he likes, but then accept the consequences - And right now, that is the seconds, whether you like it or not. Roos does not equal match committee - and here am I thinking that the team taking the field is decided by a team of people at the Swans, not just Cow and ROK.
Oh, and I know you will come back to me with some smart-arse comment - Keep it to yourself - I won't return to this thread - I am sick to my eye-balls of the way some people on here think Davis is the best thing since sliced bread and Roos is on a par with a slice of bread without the crust.
Davis IS a good player, but he can't win it on his own, when he can, I will be one of the first to deify him - Until then, he has to learn to do the team thing - So far this year, he sucks.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying that he's crap in everything he does. The biggest issue I have is that he plays favourites.

NMWBloods
10th August 2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Frog
So far this year, he sucks. That's just silly. May not be playing at his best, but certainly he hasn't been crap.

Sanecow
10th August 2006, 11:58 PM
There is no room for individuals in a team

There's been a lot of this claim on RWO recently from the same people who think that Roos is not only above the team but beyond criticism. Hypocrites.

anniswan
10th August 2006, 11:59 PM

Just want to see you get back to 5000 posts.

Sunbury U14's who finished with 1 defeat and a percentage of 1200 or so wouldn't have beaten the teams we have played against.

The ACT league is weaker than the Ballarat Football League and Riddell Football League put together.

The biggest thing we have in our favor once again this year is our injury/suspension record. We are second to none in this arena, and don't think this is an accidental thing, it's well planned with good conditioning and discipline.

Chow-Chicker
11th August 2006, 12:01 AM
They are. Just because you don't agree with that doesn't mean it isn't. You are not the greater of the two, matter of fact, what you or I think is rather meaningless if the deliverables are taken into account. You deliver little, I deliver less - Roos and the (Swans) team delivered a premiership last year - They have every right to speak and do as they please.
There is no room for individuals in a team - Davis can do what he likes, but then accept the consequences - And right now, that is the seconds, whether you like it or not. Roos does not equal match committee - and here am I thinking that the team taking the field is decided by a team of people at the Swans, not just Cow and ROK.
Oh, and I know you will come back to me with some smart-arse comment - Keep it to yourself - I won't return to this thread - I am sick to my eye-balls of the way some people on here think Davis is the best thing since sliced bread and Roos is on a par with a slice of bread without the crust.
Davis IS a good player, but he can't win it on his own, when he can, I will be one of the first to deify him - Until then, he has to learn to do the team thing - So far this year, he sucks.

Nicely said Froggy.

NMWBloods
11th August 2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by anniswan
The biggest thing we have in our favor once again this year is our injury/suspension record. We are second to none in this arena, and don't think this is an accidental thing, it's well planned with good conditioning and discipline. Injuries are also a big dose of luck - look at things like Maguire's broken leg, Lloyd's hamstring, Coughlan's knee, Newman's borken leg, Brown's hip, Lappin's ankle, Charman's shoulder, Hadley's knee, Corrie's knee, Darcy's knee, Murphy's knee, Hahn's knee, Tredrea's knee, Hayes' knee... etc.

anniswan
11th August 2006, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Injuries are also a big dose of luck - look at things like Maguire's broken leg, Lloyd's hamstring, Coughlan's knee, Newman's borken leg, Brown's hip, Lappin's ankle, Charman's shoulder, Hadley's knee, Corrie's knee, Darcy's knee, Murphy's knee, Hahn's knee, Tredrea's knee, Hayes' knee... etc.

Knees and Hamstrings are not only luck related, they relate to the conditioning that the players have. Nathan Gibbs is the best in the business and the players are educated into how to land and play to avoin injuries.

My son has bad hamstring problems and we are seeing a physio that was the physio for the Ashes team in the 80's. He reckons that a lot of Hamstring injuries can be avoided with excercise and conditioning

I won't believe that luck is the reason for our lack of injuries, it is well documented that our medical staff are the best in the business

PerthSwannie
11th August 2006, 12:15 AM
Now, Now people, settle down here. We`re all on the same side remember!

I personally beleive Roosie`s doing a great job as always. He`s moving the team forward playing the best footy at the most important time of year. I would have loved to of seen Little Nicky back in this week(I would of put my house on it that he would of been back), but it`s not to be so there. However, I`m not gunna bag the selection commitee for it. They know what`s best for our team, not you or me.

I thought I knew more than Roosy, but he has stopped taking my calls?????

Nico
11th August 2006, 12:20 AM
1) we won last year final with excellent luck due to relative injury free run and many injured opponents in the final games. Top credit should be given to the Swan physical fitness guy. I dont believe Roo has much input this area.

2) Swan has a core team of players that have matured over the past years with Hall, Ball, Goodes etc. Lockett in his last few years with the Swan was hampering Swan progress due to his lack of mobility - an easy target for opponents to negate his influence/stop Swan winning progress despite the strength of Cresa/kelly. The totally immoible strong Dunkley has more disadvantages than advantages eg unable to attack or lead out from the back. All it takes is a reasonable thinking coach to harness the player strength and go with the new "faster" game techniques, including running full forward & mobile/attacking full back. A coach of Blight or richmond coach calibre would have seen this immediately. And Hall had to make the decision whether he wanted to go the "bad" bustling ways & copped heavier suspensions & inflict pain to hs team or turn over a new leaf. Roo was lucky that he inherited the swan team and hall's turn around. Any good coach would be able to turn hall around.

3) He constantly put down the players before many games in the past, such as saying that we are not champions, we dont have star quality material etc etc. Why are there not MORE encouragement from him to bring up the players strength/moral/confidence BEFORE many game began in the past(I am not referring to his comments after the games when the results are already known)

4) Earlier in the competition this year, he has "false pride" in just playing the same players without introducing (&training) good reserve players though there were clear evidence there was a strong need for the good reserve to come in earlier, rather than continuing semi-injured players eg Crouch or continuing out of form players eg Mathew. We are very lucky that we won in the past few games when many new players were introduced at the SAME time. Wrong approach.

5) From the current Davis affair, he appears to be a control freak & appears to be beating around the bush for not recalling Davis.
The current team, including Davis, has GIVEN him alot. Cut THEM them some slack. If Davis has a real problem, say whatever it is since it is in the open because there are many Swan supporters who love to see him in action to help HIS team.

he was very lucky to inherit the current swan team. another good coach could have done better at this point of time.

That is very badly spelled dribble.

anniswan
11th August 2006, 12:32 AM

Lucky to inherit a team, he built the team from when he was the assistant coach.

I am not normally critical of peoples opinions but yours are dilusional.

You may feel that luck was part of last year, but our medical team is the best in the business, there was no luck involved it was clearly planned and injuries were curtailed due to diligence and conditioning.

What wrong approach, FFS he won us a grand final, in the last 72 years has anyone else done it. He went in with a 3 year plan and acheived it. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

I am no more a coach than you are, he has delivered on his plan, and this year we are not being slaughtered and are in the running for another flag.

To the Roos critical mob, take a Bex, lie down and think back to how you felt at 5pm on 24th Sept 2005. Digest it and realise that we could be back in the doldrums of the late 80's early 90's.

Chow-Chicker
11th August 2006, 01:23 AM

smartplay? Hahahaha. Love the irony. You truly are a very bad advertisement for the pro-Davis clan and anti-Roos movement. This has to be the worst post I've ever read. Yes Mr Roos, you MUST come out and tell us the PROBLEM. You have to , you must, I demand you!

Sanecow
11th August 2006, 01:33 AM
smartplay >>>> Chow-Chicker

Argue with 3 or 4 if you can.

3. Fact: Roos publically hangs @@@@ on his list in order to build his image as a coach who can drag a "blue collar" team to victory.

4. Fact: Roos persisted with injured and out of form players in games which we lost (and Williams admitted he shouldn't have played!); with fit players in those games, we would have had greater chance of success.

Chow-Chicker
11th August 2006, 02:01 AM
smartplay >>>> Chow-Chicker

Argue with 3 or 4 if you can.

3. Fact: Roos publically hangs @@@@ on his list in order to build his image as a coach who can drag a "blue collar" team to victory.

4. Fact: Roos persisted with injured and out of form players in games which we lost (and Williams admitted he shouldn't have played!); with fit players in those games, we would have had greater chance of success.

Simple;

1. We won the flag last year.

2. We are currently 4th on the ladder with 4 games to go in the season. Good chance of making the GF this season, and as last season proved, we cannot be underestimated.

NMWBloods
11th August 2006, 10:06 AM
Knees and Hamstrings are not only luck related, they relate to the conditioning that the players have. Nathan Gibbs is the best in the business and the players are educated into how to land and play to avoin injuries.

My son has bad hamstring problems and we are seeing a physio that was the physio for the Ashes team in the 80's. He reckons that a lot of Hamstring injuries can be avoided with excercise and conditioning

I won't believe that luck is the reason for our lack of injuries, it is well documented that our medical staff are the best in the business Knees are not conditioning related. Awkward landings can't be helped. When a hamstring tears from the bone, such as Lloyd, that's luck.

Ruck'n'Roll
11th August 2006, 11:37 AM
Knees are not conditioning related. Awkward landings can't be helped. When a hamstring tears from the bone, such as Lloyd, that's luck.
While I acept the lack of direct causative link, I'm not so sure conditioning isn't a factor. In my case I think that my fatigued state was a contributing factor to my misjudging my landing.

BTW
Does anyone else think this discussion sound just a tad Richmondesque?

NMWBloods
11th August 2006, 11:50 AM
In some cases conditioning can have an affect, but in many cases serious injuries are just pure bad luck.

floppinab
11th August 2006, 12:25 PM
Our coach and club have taken the seige mentality to very high levels this year.

I reckon it had been brewing over Roos first few years as coach with umpiring and Roos thoughts about code development in Sydney, but after Demetriou's comments last year, that was the last straw.
I think it has actually been quite calculated to galvanise the team, call it the Lleyton Hewitt method if you like. It's us vs. the media and the AFL.
You can hear it in a lot the public comments from the club. I know that the clubs relationship with AFLNSW is at an all time low. Player appearances have have been reduced. The AFL have had to pay the Swans on a few occasions for the privelidge of having the Swans appear at a few functions. The players refer to the AFL as "the enemy".

This is all very well with regard to creating an environment to motivate the team into performing but I think the downside is the way the club is perceived externally, by supporters and by membership. I think this has gone some way (not all the way) to explaining why we haven't seen big crowd increases and and upsurge in support this year.

I think the Swans need to wind back the seige mentality just a little bit and put a bit more of an upbeat picture on life. That sort of attitude is only going to get us so far.

Schneiderman
11th August 2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
I think the Swans need to wind back the seige mentality just a little bit and put a bit more of an upbeat picture on life. That sort of attitude is only going to get us so far.

Because the previous 20years of ass-kissing by the Swans gained us SOOOO much more! What crap. All of the media farce the poor lads from South had to put up with when they moved up here, plus all of the crap they had to endure in the late 80's amounted to... nothing. Except a close call to fold the club in the early 90's.

The club is responsible only for its own survival. If that means cultivating interest within this state then they will help where they can. But the AFL has received an added $200-300million in their broadcast rights courtesy of the Swans and the NSW market, yet we'll be lucky to see any more than a tiny drop from it up here.

floppinab
11th August 2006, 02:50 PM
Because the previous 20years of ass-kissing by the Swans gained us SOOOO much more! What crap. All of the media farce the poor lads from South had to put up with when they moved up here, plus all of the crap they had to endure in the late 80's amounted to... nothing. Except a close call to fold the club in the early 90's.

The club is responsible only for its own survival. If that means cultivating interest within this state then they will help where they can. But the AFL has received an added $200-300million in their broadcast rights courtesy of the Swans and the NSW market, yet we'll be lucky to see any more than a tiny drop from it up here.

$200-$300 mill....... that's close to a third of the rights, overstating it just a little I think.

The AFL have not treated the Swans well in recent times. I didn't suggest stopping it altogether but just winding back a little. There comes a point where you start to cut off your nose to spite your face and I think that's what they are doing now.

Several clubs have started to get more involved in footy development in Sydney. Recently one well known Melbourne club offered to sponsor a Sydney junior competition, their involvement borne out of the scholarship program (the genesis of which was suggested by the Swans). The Swans screamed blue murder, threatened to withdraw all player appearances to that area, etc. I would've thought they might've welcomed the competition or even made a counter-offer but no. Just because you win a premiership doesn't mean you have all the answers.

Agent 86
11th August 2006, 02:57 PM

I won't believe that luck is the reason for our lack of injuries, it is well documented that our medical staff are the best in the business
Ahhh... so we're just saving Nick's hammies for the finals?

Schneiderman
11th August 2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
$200-$300 mill....... that's close to a third of the rights, overstating it just a little I think.

Not really. It was commonly acknowledged that in the previous round of negotiations, the $500mil they got was boosted by about $100mil because of the Sydney market. Then after the Swans win the GF, the number suddeny jumps up to $780mil. I reckon half or more of the jump was because of the potential our win had on total viewer numbers.

Let's not forget that NSW represents more than a third of the country's population, and Sydney alone about a quarter. Plus a really big chunk of the sponsorship dollars reside in Sydney too, so getting the Sydney based execs to understand the size of AFL's appeal often requires a strong presence on the Sydney airwaves.

And apologies to all of the other clubs out there, but getting the execs of Sydney-based companies (many of whom are heavily involved in the Rugger culture courtesy of private schooling), to appreciate AFL's pull relies on how they see Sydney travelling. To get the exposure improved for the AFL as a whole, I agree that the Sydney Swans have to be the primary team of focus up here. At least in the short to medium term.

Piobaireachd
11th August 2006, 08:03 PM
Cow, sometimes I find your posts thoughtful and well thought out ROFLMAO :D

Piobaireachd
11th August 2006, 08:06 PM
Just want to see you get back to 5000 posts.

Sunbury U14's who finished with 1 defeat and a percentage of 1200 or so wouldn't have beaten the teams we have played against.

The ACT league is weaker than the Ballarat Football League and Riddell Football League put together.

The biggest thing we have in our favor once again this year is our injury/suspension record. We are second to none in this arena, and don't think this is an accidental thing, it's well planned with good conditioning and discipline. GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!!!

Sanecow
11th August 2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
ROFLMAO :D

Shut up!

AussieAnge
12th August 2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Nico
That is very badly spelled dribble.

To quote Alanis Morriset (sp?) isn't it ironic?;)

swantastic
15th August 2006, 09:29 AM
Roosey (http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/roos-fuming-at-tens-commentary/2006/08/14/1155407742728.html)

Swanner
15th August 2006, 04:41 PM
Get another club sanecrow we don't need negative supporters like you.

Sanecow
15th August 2006, 04:44 PM
Back to the STFU for you, numbnuts.

Sanecow
15th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Back on topic (re: Geelong being the NAB Cup champions), I find this quote from Goodes interesting:

"This time of year is what our program is about.

"We are not about winning pre-season games because we want everyone to be saying the reigning premiers are on fire, we are building up to this time of year and that is what everyone's fitness and programs and training sessions are geared towards is this two month period now."

I wonder what brought that on?

Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=289528)

DST
15th August 2006, 06:21 PM
Back on topic (re: Geelong being the NAB Cup champions), I find this quote from Goodes interesting:

I wonder what brought that on?

Source (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=289528)

That is really interesting quote from Goodes and goes to show that the club knows where the players should be every step of the year and that it also knows when it needs to pull someone into line to get them back into required shape for the last two months of the year!

One would suggest Davis crossed that line and needed the extra attention to get him back into line.

DST
:p

liz
15th August 2006, 06:44 PM
That is interesting. I had a conversation just after the Crows game with a work associate who lives in Sydney but is a Crows fan (and whose wife I think is an avid Swans fan, so he does follow the R&W too). He commented that he didn't think the Swans looked like a particularly fit team. After that particular game, where our boys looked slow and lethargic compared to the Crows, it was hard to argue against.

On reflection, though, I wondered if it wasn't that the whole team wasn't particularly fit but maybe just one or two key individuals, particularly compared to where they were the same time a year ago.

Since then we have seen a noticeable lift in workrate and performance from two particular individuals, namely Jolly and Kirk.

So while the likes of Buchanan, LRT, O'Keefe, Kennelly, Bs 1& 2, Goodes etc haven't looked noticeably less fit than they did last year, there certainly has been evidence over the past month that certain individuals are peaking at the right time of the year.

DST
15th August 2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by liz
That is interesting. I had a conversation just after the Crows game with a work associate who lives in Sydney but is a Crows fan (and whose wife I think is an avid Swans fan, so he does follow the R&W too). He commented that he didn't think the Swans looked like a particularly fit team. After that particular game, where our boys looked slow and lethargic compared to the Crows, it was hard to argue against.

On reflection, though, I wondered if it wasn't that the whole team wasn't particularly fit but maybe just one or two key individuals, particularly compared to where they were the same time a year ago.

Since then we have seen a noticeable lift in workrate and performance from two particular individuals, namely Jolly and Kirk.

So while the likes of Buchanan, LRT, O'Keefe, Kennelly, Bs 1& 2, Goodes etc haven't looked noticeably less fit than they did last year, there certainly has been evidence over the past month that certain individuals are peaking at the right time of the year.

Funny thing is though Liz, is that you could apply that same theory to the Crows at present. They look as flat as a tack at present and really do not have that strong running that they had 6 to 8 weeks ago.

This hard training month mid season has worked in the past, but I can't help but think (and a couple of mates in Adelaide think the same) that Neil Craig may have pushed things a little too far with his older players this time. Lots of hammys tears and hamstring tightness for some of the older blokes at present.

Anyway enough on the Crows, we on the other hand look fresh and ready to fire our best shot for back to back. If we end up being beaten by a better side on the day, we can at least say that the side was prepared well and sent out ready to do the job.

DST
:D

anniswan
15th August 2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by DST
Anyway enough on the Crows, we on the other hand look fresh and ready to fire our best shot for back to back. If we end up being beaten by a better side on the day, we can at least say that the side was prepared well and sent out ready to do the job.

DST
:D

As I have said before, we have the best medical team in the AFL, every game our player are being measured using those vests and the data goes a long way to make sure that we have as least amount of injuries as possible.

There is a program in place, and it seems to be working.

Teams like the Bulldogs and Essendon would be wise to look at the Swans model, however I hope they don't.

NMWBloods
15th August 2006, 11:48 PM
Yes - because it will stop those knee injuries and broken legs...

swantastic
16th August 2006, 12:16 AM
As I have said before, we have the best medical team in the AFL, every game our player are being measured using those vests and the data goes a long way to make sure that we have as least amount of injuries as possible.

There is a program in place, and it seems to be working.

Teams like the Bulldogs and Essendon would be wise to look at the Swans model, however I hope they don't. If you have been into the Swans Gym,Recovery Room and Phisio Room you would see that they work through every player after a game with a questionaire about how they feel,mind and body.They are very strict with Hammys,Quads,Knees and Shoulders when it comes to recovery and if there is a slight twinge they work on it extra hard to get it right for the next week.TK has one of the worst Hammy stretches at the club,i think.Pound for pound B2 is the strongest at the club.

anniswan
16th August 2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
TK has one of the worst Hammy stretches at the club,i think.Pound for pound B2 is the strongest at the club.

I bet my son is worse than TK, 5 visits to the physio to get him up for his Under 14 GF on Sunday. Medibank are my friends at the moment.

anniswan
16th August 2006, 12:35 AM
Yes - because it will stop those knee injuries and broken legs...

Well out of all the clubs in the AFL who has had the least knee injuries and broken legs. Oops that maybe the Swans, surely that tells you something. Our players are very fit and are conditioned not to take risks that may endanger them.

you are always negative, surely you can't discount the record that our medical team have, but I am sure you will find something to have a go at.

I think you should start following another team,so that you can really have a good whinge.:confused:

Piobaireachd
16th August 2006, 01:29 AM
I bet my son is worse than TK, 5 visits to the physio to get him up for his Under 14 GF on Sunday. Medibank are my friends at the moment. They will win Anni. They will win.

Piobaireachd
16th August 2006, 01:31 AM
Well out of all the clubs in the AFL who has had the least knee injuries and broken legs. Oops that maybe the Swans, surely that tells you something. Our players are very fit and are conditioned not to take risks that may endanger them.

you are always negative, surely you can't discount the record that our medical team have, but I am sure you will find something to have a go at.

I think you should start following another team,so that you can really have a good whinge.:confused: He's just bitter because he can't perform anymore on the basketball court like he used. "Back in my day we never needed no whipper snapper Doctors pokin' n proddin' our bodies."

anniswan
16th August 2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
They will win Anni. They will win.

I wish I could be so confident, we have only beaten this team once in 6 years, they are good but cocky so fingers crossed.

ScottH
16th August 2006, 07:25 AM
I think you'll find most, if not all, teams use the GPS tracker thing. It is not solely Sydney.

ScottH
16th August 2006, 07:29 AM
:confused: So the conditioning will stop a broken leg?

Our players don't take risks?? So they can't get into packs, put their head over the ball, take contested marks??

NMWBloods
16th August 2006, 10:37 AM
Well out of all the clubs in the AFL who has had the least knee injuries and broken legs. Oops that maybe the Swans, surely that tells you something. Our players are very fit and are conditioned not to take risks that may endanger them.They're trained better than other players to avoid having someone fall on their legs?

I think you should start following another team,so that you can really have a good whinge.:confused: I think you have no clues. To make a different observation to you and say that I don't think conditionining makes a big difference to broken bones is not a "whinge" or "being negative". It's a straightforward observation.