PDA

View Full Version : Mal Michael Wikipedia article inaccuracy?

Sanecow
11th August 2006, 12:47 PM
2006 season

In the Round 14, 2006 game against Melbourne, Michael conceded a rushed behind in an unorthodox and notable fashion - he became the first player to concede a point by kicking the ball directly between the opposition's goalposts. This attracted wide scrutiny in the media and was oft-replayed.

That doesn't sound right at all. Didn't Goodes do that in the finals last year? And it must have happened before that.

NMWBloods
11th August 2006, 12:55 PM
Badly expressed in the article, however how to experess it differently is difficult. It was the first time I've seen a deliberate, full-blooded, 'proper' (ie: not off the ground) kick through the opposition goals.

Sanecow
11th August 2006, 12:59 PM
What about this one from Goodes v St Kilda:

Goodes in the finals, 2005 (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11228)

I'm pretty sure he slotted a drop punt? I don't have the DVD though so I can't check.

NMWBloods
11th August 2006, 01:04 PM
Yes, I do vaguely recall him doing it against StKilda and some recalled his rushed behind against Port the previous year. However, I don't remember much about it.

ScottH
11th August 2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Yes, I do vaguely recall him doing it against StKilda and some recalled his rushed behind against Port the previous year. However, I don't remember much about it. Yeah he did it twice, I think the Saints one was omore of a snap out of a crowd, and the other was similar , but more front on to goals.

I think the mian difference with Michael's shot was, that he was in the clear by many metres and it almost looked like a deliberate shot "at goal" rather than a rushed point.

goswannie14
11th August 2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
What about this one from Goodes v St Kilda:

Goodes in the finals, 2005 (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11228)

I'm pretty sure he slotted a drop punt? I don't have the DVD though so I can't check. The comment by, I think it was Blight, "Wouldn't you like all of your snaps at goal to split the middle like that?"

Big Al
11th August 2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
The comment by, I think it was Blight, "Wouldn't you like all of your snaps at goal to split the middle like that?"

Thought it was Tim Lane but I'm too lazy to go and check the DVD