PDA

View Full Version : Teddy

PerthSwannie
12th August 2006, 06:38 PM
I thought Teddy Richards played alright today up the back! What do all his knockers have to say?

Carolyn
12th August 2006, 06:43 PM
I also thought he had a good game...he took some great marks and that sort of took the pressure out of the back line.

punter257
12th August 2006, 06:45 PM
being loose man in defense helped but he did read the ball well and didn't make any clangers

promising performance

dendol
12th August 2006, 06:45 PM
yep alot of pressure marks floating across in front of BarryNeitz. Played a great game I thought.

NMWBloods
12th August 2006, 06:47 PM
Very good - played a full game for a change. However, loose man across half-back is not something you can make a career out of without adding some more tricks.

caj23
12th August 2006, 07:39 PM
as one of his cheif baggers i thought he played well today

played loose for a while which helped but also slotted in at chb and beat miller

still got to pull a few decent games together though to convince me

ScottH
12th August 2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Very good - played a full game for a change. However, loose man across half-back is not something you can make a career out of without adding some more tricks. Agree, but a number of his marks he came from nowhere to take them, rather than just being in the right place at the right time.

One of his best for us so far.

Gary
12th August 2006, 10:51 PM
Yes...one of his best...but that is not saying a lot!
Loose man role is kinder to Ted...wait until there is pressure. Kicking still ordinary...but yes a fair effort.

Nico
12th August 2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Yes...one of his best...but that is not saying a lot!
Loose man role is kinder to Ted...wait until there is pressure. Kicking still ordinary...but yes a fair effort.

My sentiments entirely with regards Bevan.

elroy67
13th August 2006, 10:24 AM
He played well. Showed a lot more nerve in the contests than I'm used to seeing, took good marks under pressure. Well done in his 50th game.

goswannie14
13th August 2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by elroy67
He played well. Showed a lot more nerve in the contests than I'm used to seeing, took good marks under pressure. Well done in his 50th game. Yeah agreed, he even took a couple running or backing back into a contest. I was very happy with his game.

Piobaireachd
13th August 2006, 08:32 PM
Very good - played a full game for a change. However, loose man across half-back is not something you can make a career out of without adding some more tricks. Cornes has done quite well out of it

swantastic
13th August 2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by punter257
being loose man in defense helped but he did read the ball well and didn't make any clangers

promising performance Wrong 2 clangers,and for being a LOOSE man in defense only took it out of D50 2 times not good enough IMO,and he only took 7 marks NGE IMO.

NMWBloods
13th August 2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Piobaireachd
Cornes has done quite well out of it Cornes has also been a dominant CHF, plus when playing across half back, he does have a man, he just reads the play well enough to run off them. Plus Cornes will gather 20+ possessions and rebond really well. Richards does none of this.

satchmopugdog
13th August 2006, 10:24 PM
Easily his best game for us. At times deep in defence he could have been under pressure but due to his team mates and him not panicking he got us out of a couple of tight situations. (I think there was one good example at the beginning of the 2nd quarter) A step up I thought.

giant
13th August 2006, 10:29 PM
And took some good tuff marks backing into oncoming traffic - pleasing given he's looked soft at times earlier in the season. That's the hard part about being the loose man in defence! [and btw didn't Rivers do a great job of that for the Dees?]

SimonH
13th August 2006, 11:25 PM
Kudos to the guy. Showed a bit of ticker; it's easy to say that many of the marks were in fact uncontested, but the point is that at the moment of going up for most of them, he didn't know that he wouldn't get cleaned up the moment the ball arrived. That's one of the toughest jobs on the ground, and he never (at least never so far as I recall) flinched. (Actually, giant just said the same thing; apologies for the repetition.)

Also from a technical perspective, yesterday showed his attributes: he's a very good overhead mark, quite quick for his size and and average-to-good kick. If he can work on his weaknesses, that's certainly a pretty solid basis for a long-term playing future.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by giant
And took some good tuff marks backing into oncoming traffic - pleasing given he's looked soft at times earlier in the season. That's the hard part about being the loose man in defence! [and btw didn't Rivers do a great job of that for the Dees?] There were two marks in particular where he took the mark, once from the side and once backing in, in front of a Leading neitz at full pace. Didn't even duck the head. Very impressive.

Ruck'n'Roll
14th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Seeing Ted playing loose man in defence I had a moment of clarity on Saturday night.
As the AFL rules committee moves the game closer and closer to becoming a non contact sport every club is going to need a non-contact key defender like Ted.
Paul Roos' recruitment of Richards is yet further proof of his presience. We are so set up for the 21st century!!!

:D

Ruck'n'Roll
14th August 2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Nico
My sentiments entirely with regards Bevan.

Speaking of Bevan, did no-one else think the tackle he laid on Neitz in the 2nd quarter was noteworthy? Big David was at full steam and he thought he'd go strait through Paul, big mistake.

Thunder Shaker
14th August 2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
We are so set up for the 21st century!!!

:D
Ted will retire at some time in the next 20 years.

Piobaireachd
14th August 2006, 08:08 PM
Cornes has also been a dominant CHF, plus when playing across half back, he does have a man, he just reads the play well enough to run off them. Plus Cornes will gather 20+ possessions and rebond really well. Richards does none of this. And Cornes has been playing longer than Richards derr. It's a comparison at stages. Same as when I backed in LRT way back in the good old days when he was learning his role. Look how much he's gained with a full season under his belt. Yet everyone wanted him out.

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 08:23 PM
I don't think Richards is a particularly good comparison to Cornes, who didn't start as a loose man across half back or make a career out of that, which was my point.

Also, as for "And Cornes has been playing longer than Richards derr", Cornes was an effective CHF by the time he had played as many games as Richards.

Gary
14th August 2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone who thinks Ted...playing off & on for 4 or 5 years now...has Cornes somewhere inside him, or even in the reasonable vicinity, has a serious problem...but I hope you are right!

GoSouth33
14th August 2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Ruck'n'Roll
Speaking of Bevan, did no-one else think the tackle he laid on Neitz in the 2nd quarter was noteworthy? Big David was at full steam and he thought he'd go strait through Paul, big mistake.

You don't have to convince me, I'm a big Bevo fan. And something you can never take off him........he's a premiership player.

originalswan
15th August 2006, 12:04 AM
Sorry but how many players in the league are as good as Cornes? Ridiculous to use the Cornes analogy to criticise Richards' performance or potential.

Richards easily played his best game for the Swans and if he keeps that type of performance as a benchmark then he will not miss another game for the year! Well done Teddy.

NMWBloods
15th August 2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by originalswan
Ridiculous to use the Cornes analogy to criticise Richards' performance or potential. No one did.

caj23
15th August 2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry but how many players in the league are as good as Cornes? Ridiculous to use the Cornes analogy to criticise Richards' performance or potential.

Richards easily played his best game for the Swans and if he keeps that type of performance as a benchmark then he will not miss another game for the year! Well done Teddy.

are you his mother or something? whilst he played a good game on the weekend he played 17 ordinary ones in a row beforehand and only got dropped for one match, so he's hardly likely to lose his spot at this stage

yoshi
15th August 2006, 02:20 PM
richards is SOFT

did play his best game on the weekend
hasn't convinced me yet tho, especially in a hard fought final i would be very nevous with him in the side

TED vs DEMPSTER week 1 finals
who r u going to go with ?
both?

Zlatorog
15th August 2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by yoshi
TED vs DEMPSTER week 1 finals
who r u going to go with ?
both?

Are there more options? :D
In my opinion the last 2 rounds (minus injuries) will decide who will stay in the team for the finals.

originalswan
16th August 2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Will Sangster
are you his mother or something? whilst he played a good game on the weekend he played 17 ordinary ones in a row beforehand and only got dropped for one match, so he's hardly likely to lose his spot at this stage

Just a few points in reply.

1. Bloody hard to give birth when you are a male - Unless you know something that I don't!

2. He actually missed two games and not one!

3. Remember all the s...t put on LRT last year? Remember his final game? Give the bloke a break - He played well - He will do it again - Or he will be dropped - At least give him some accolade and move on!

caj23
16th August 2006, 11:46 PM
Just a few points in reply.

1. Bloody hard to give birth when you are a male - Unless you know something that I don't!

2. He actually missed two games and not one!

3. Remember all the s...t put on LRT last year? Remember his final game? Give the bloke a break - He played well - He will do it again - Or he will be dropped - At least give him some accolade and move on!

1. I've never been a LRT bagger and rarely bag our own players on here

2. OK so he missed 2 games which means that there were 16 poor performances he didnt get dropped for, with last weeks effort i cant see roos dropping him for the rest of the year. In my view that is a mistake as he is soft, i would love for him to prove me wrong

Gary
17th August 2006, 02:59 PM
Will...right on target.