PDA

View Full Version : State Of Origin alternative

Troy G
19th June 2003, 12:24 PM
It seems to me the reason we still have a bye at previously origin time is because the AFL hasn't come up with a better idea.
I've said this before but I think an annual Aboriginal Allstars v The Settlers (Best of the Rest) game would be create a lot of interest.
The Allstars game earlier this year was terriffic but because it wasn't really footy season yet and because it was in Darwin, it didn't quite capture the interest it should have it was a great game. Imagine the debate in picking the "Settlers" team and the the excitement and pride in the aboriginal communities. Proceeds could go to grassroots football in the country areas. I haven't thought about my teams yet but for fun who'd be in your teams?

Ganjaman
19th June 2003, 01:44 PM
I reckon thats a great idea Troy. As Sheeds said yesterday in the Australian thousands of tourists are in Melbourne this weekend for the rugby match against the poms and the AFL has shut up shop. What an oppurtunity it could have been to have a big AFL game on as well. Onya Jacko!!

RogueSwan
20th June 2003, 02:26 PM
Brilliant idea! Just the spectacle needed while the tourists are in town.
Now the next question, who would have on either side?:)

Sid
20th June 2003, 09:24 PM
Definitely a good idea, and a contest that i would love to see.

Charlie
21st June 2003, 12:19 PM
Have to say I'm not a huge fan of that idea. 42 (about 8%) of footballers are aboriginals, meaning that aboriginal players would have a slightly better than 50% chance of playing. Meaning that the other team would come from 92% of the competition... the odds of getting into the side would be around 25:1 by my on-the-spot calculations.

I'd prefer to see a two-game All-Star series along the lines of Victorian clubs versus interstaters. Sure, there'd be a lot more players to choose from for the Vic clubs (about 150) but it would produce a whole lot of passion.... and most years the difference in terms of competitive would not be pronounced.... rarely do you have more than 2 interstate sides struggling these days.

Play a game like that at the MCG, and you'd get 80,000 there. At Footy Park, you'd sell the place out. You could maybe extend it to a best of three, like RL's SOO, and have the third game alternating between Subi, the 'Gabba and Stadium Australia.

It'd be a huge cash cow that could probably attract around 180,000 people... the players could be well renumerated and the profits could be split between the clubs to allow them some compensation in case of injuries as well.

Can you just imagine the build-up if you had Leigh Matthews and Kevin Sheedy coaching the two teams? Warfare! I don't know where they could put it... maybe in late October-early November, giving players plenty of time to recover from injuries they sustain, and it could be the selection process for the International Rules team if that was pushed back to late November?

I think it has the potential to be a fantastic addition to the season.

Mike_B
22nd June 2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
... the players could be well renumerated...

I'm sure they could be well remunerated too Charlie :D

Charlie
22nd June 2003, 08:49 AM
Damn you!

How do you guys pick those things out?

Mike_B
22nd June 2003, 12:48 PM
Well the fact I work in that area, I'm very well versed in saying remuneration rather than renumeration, but am also aware that its a common mistake, and am more than happy to patiently point things like that out :D

Charlie
22nd June 2003, 01:19 PM
Grr...:mad: :eek: :p

Jon
22nd June 2003, 06:02 PM

Play a game like that at the MCG, and you'd get 80,000 there. At Footy Park, you'd sell the place out. You could maybe extend it to a best of three, like RL's SOO, and have the third game alternating between Subi, the 'Gabba and Stadium Australia.

It'd be a huge cash cow that could probably attract around 180,000 people... the players could be well renumerated and the profits could be split between the clubs to allow them some compensation in case of injuries as well.

But is this true? I seem to remember the last State of Origin games were very poorly attended. Granted, the AFL had done bugger all to promote them, but all I seem to remember the feeling all round was about how badly it was affecting the clubs etc etc...Almost seemed as if the majority of people were glad to be rid of them.

I think you're right that this has changed a bit.

I reckon the way to do it is to have a carnival every 2nd, 3rd or 4th year. That would probably attract a crowd and shouldn't piss off the clubs too much.

Charlie
22nd June 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Jon
But is this true? I seem to remember the last State of Origin games were very poorly attended. Granted, the AFL had done bugger all to promote them, but all I seem to remember the feeling all round was about how badly it was affecting the clubs etc etc...Almost seemed as if the majority of people were glad to be rid of them.

I think you're right that this has changed a bit.

I reckon the way to do it is to have a carnival every 2nd, 3rd or 4th year. That would probably attract a crowd and shouldn't piss off the clubs too much.

SOO certainly died in the late '90s. What I'm talking about is VFL vs AFL, tradition vs modernism... Victoria vs the rest. It is guaranteed to stir the passions based not on state identity... but on club identity. The same force that moved many Carlton and Essendon fans to get behind Collingwood last year... would get them behind the best 22 players of the Vic clubs.

The passion in South Australia against Victorians has always been high... and in general, fans of interstate teams don't like the Vic teams very much.

There would also be no instances where Jude Bolton would face Nic Fosdike, for example... something that always dulled my interest in SOO.

Charlie

Jon
22nd June 2003, 06:32 PM
Well....I know I'd definitely love to see the interstaters rip em a new one (of course some would argue we already do every week!).

:D

As far as representative footy goes, gauging public support can be tricky.

If it was worded "would you like to see the best footballers playing against each other for their states (or region according to your suggestion" people might nod happily

But if they were asked "would you like to see the best players in your club risk season ending injury to represent their state/region in a mid-season game" you might find a tad more reluctance.

footyhead
22nd June 2003, 07:20 PM
part of the reason that state of origin was no longer working, was the victorian orientation of the competition.
Any comp that is played in the spirit of "vic's VS the rest", will not apeal on a national level.

Jon
23rd June 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
part of the reason that state of origin was no longer working, was the victorian orientation of the competition.
Any comp that is played in the spirit of "vic's VS the rest", will not apeal on a national level.

Yeah...it was alwaya Vic v SA or Vic v WA wasn't it?

I reckon the idea of a VFL v AFL match wouldn't be supported by the AFL either. I'm not sure the AFL would want to promote that sort of antagonism....They have enough trouble keeping the lid on all the rivalries as it is.

Can you imagine the AFL having to face Eddie on Mon morning after Buckley was just ruled out for the season in a VFL v AFL game?

I reckon the Interantional Rules will rule the day for a while yet.

Charlie
23rd June 2003, 08:46 AM
I suggested October, to prevent that very problem. I'd think that 95% of injuries sustained in October would be recovered from by March. You could then select squads of 25 or whatever based on performances that year... then the best performed in the Best of Three series go on to international rules.

Charlie

Jon
23rd June 2003, 11:51 AM
I suggested October, to prevent that very problem. I'd think that 95% of injuries sustained in October would be recovered from by March. You could then select squads of 25 or whatever based on performances that year... then the best performed in the Best of Three series go on to international rules.

Charlie

Yeah. Interesting idea. Have SOO games every been played post-season? Obviously you'd see no room for an international rules competition, though.