PDA

View Full Version : what is up with the broadcasts?

tawfiq
26th August 2006, 01:14 AM
ive got many concerns here, for starters, why have they only shown one sydney game in the last 5 weeks in melbourne?
also, looking at this week, out of 8 games, only 1 is being broadcast live on a FTA network and that is on sunday morning, when people hardly watch the footy. i hope when seven gets the rights, more live games will be shown, and more sydney games. maybe im just overreacting, what do other people think?

adnar
26th August 2006, 02:20 AM
Sat night is 20 mins delay, pretty much live... 1pm is morning? Why would Sydney games be shown in Melbourne frequently? The majority of Melbourne people don't care.

goswannie14
26th August 2006, 09:16 AM
It's no different to what it has always been, whether 7, 9/10 or the ABC (yes they had the rights at one stage) are the network broadcasting the AFL.

CureTheSane
26th August 2006, 11:36 AM
Guess what?
They used to be South Melbourne.

Now I sure as hell don't want to start the Melb Vs Sydney bs again, in fact I am mor ethan happy to accept that they are the Sydney Swans and I don't like names like the 'bloods' etc.

But there are many many supporters down here still.
Not as many members, but if you look at the Melb membership package, you'll see why.

Regardless, we have a national competition, and the games should be on free to air (delayed by 24 hours if that's what it takes)

I for one am glad the Fox footy channel is falling apart.
We don't need football to be licenced to cable suppliers.
It is popular, put it on free to air, the ads pay for the airings.

Look at the huge deals being done by the networks to snare the TV rights. Stations know there is money in telecasting AFL.

So goodbye Foxtel and here's hoping that next year we have total coverage by the free to air networks.

tawfiq
26th August 2006, 12:07 PM
just looking at that, its looking very good,

"THE AFL has embraced the prospect of channels Seven and Ten broadcasting all eight games each weekend on free-to-air television next year"

"Seven and Ten will be forced to televise all eight games a weekend between them from next year"

like i said, very very good

tawfiq
26th August 2006, 12:08 PM
sorry i forgot to put the link in, lol here it is

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/afl-all-for-free-tv-deal/2006/08/25/1156012741770.html

hammo
26th August 2006, 12:57 PM
You should wait and see how many of those games will be live before getting too excited.

The loss of matches on Foxtel is a body blow to promoting the code in NSW.

Schneiderman
26th August 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hammo
You should wait and see how many of those games will be live before getting too excited.

The loss of matches on Foxtel is a body blow to promoting the code in NSW.

We'll see. The Ch9/Foxtel ownership only part promoted the game up here as it was.

Some of the areas they failed:
- No live FNF despite there being absolutely no reason why not
- Only the 'weaker' live Sat night football game unless it involved the Swans or they got the fixture wrong early in the year. eg. Foxtel showed Ess V Haw last week, instead of Saints v Freo.
- No live Brownlow count, AFL Draft or MVP awards

Here's hoping we dont go backwards with the changes, but let's not get carried away about how much they really did for the game up here.

liz
26th August 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

Some of the areas they failed:
- No live FNF despite there being absolutely no reason why not
- Only the 'weaker' live Sat night football game unless it involved the Swans or they got the fixture wrong early in the year. eg. Foxtel showed Ess V Haw last week, instead of Saints v Freo.
- No live Brownlow count, AFL Draft or MVP awards

There was a reason for no live FNF on Fox. It is called Channel 9 who refused to allow Fox to do so.

Fox rarely got to choose the matches it showed. The FTA channels had first pick and Fox was left with whatever the FTA didn't want. Hardly Fox's fault.

The FTA channels had the rights to the Brownlow count. It was their choice not to show it up here live. Fox weren't allowed to show it.

Similarly with the draft and MVP - not Fox's choice.

adnar
26th August 2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Guess what?
They used to be South Melbourne.

And guess what, South Melbourne where not a very well supported team to begin with!

It's true that there a lot of people with interest in the Swans in Melbourne but in reality there are at LEAST 10 teams that rate for popularity in terms of games being shown in Melbourne than Sydney.

Damien
26th August 2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

Here's hoping we dont go backwards with the changes, but let's not get carried away about how much they really did for the game up here.

:confused: , um we are talking about a 24hr AFL network?

Anything they didn't have available wasn't Fox Footy's fault, however what they did have available such as 3 live games, replays of all games, prime time AFL shows, AFLPA MVP awards, replays of the brownlow, Fox Footy Active, grand final parade etc etc was greater than anything that has ever been made available to Sydney AFL fans.

CureTheSane
26th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by adnar
And guess what, South Melbourne where not a very well supported team to begin with!

It's true that there a lot of people with interest in the Swans in Melbourne but in reality there are at LEAST 10 teams that rate for popularity in terms of games being shown in Melbourne than Sydney.

Supporting the Swans (or South Melbourne) membership wise is different to barracking and following the games.
To perpetuate a following for the Swans in Melbourne, the fans have to be able to access more than one game in 5 weeks.
Simple as that.

Here is what should be happening.

Melb club Vs Melb club should be televised with pay TV, as everyone in Melbourne is able to get to the game.

Sydney vs interstate club should be made accessable to people who cannot get to the game without buying an airfare and should be telecast in Melbourne.

I know I am speaking of an ideal world which doesn't exist, but if the AFL truely want to secure a future for the game, they need to stop televising games (even on a delay) if they are being show in that city.

And yes, I don't think the Sydney Melbourne game at the MCG should have been telecast directly into Melbourne.
If people don't want to travel to the game and support the ode by paying to SEE the game live, they should be forced to pay via pay TV to watch the game.

swantastic
26th August 2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by adnar
Why would Sydney games be shown in Melbourne frequently? The majority of Melbourne people don't care. The majority of people dont care in Sydney either by the amount of members based there.In Melbourne they have 10000 approx members.The Sydney Swans/SMFC have a total membership of 32000.In Sydney there is approx 17/18000 members and the rest come from around the country.So for Melbourne based members thats not to bad considering no team based there for 25 years.

deadan
27th August 2006, 06:33 PM
So what happened in Sydney today ? Ch9 showed Adelaide vs Port, understandably, plus it was the only game they could show in their 1pm timeslot. But Fox Footy, instead of broadcasting Carlton vs Collingwood, showed a replay of the Swans vs Lions.... Absolute rubbish. Ch10 showed it almost live last night, why show another replay when there is a perfectly good game being played. And they aren't showing it until 8.30.

Well Fox Footy, get stuffed...

Damien
27th August 2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by deadan
So what happened in Sydney today ? Ch9 showed Adelaide vs Port, understandably, plus it was the only game they could show in their 1pm timeslot. But Fox Footy, instead of broadcasting Carlton vs Collingwood, showed a replay of the Swans vs Lions.... Absolute rubbish. Ch10 showed it almost live last night, why show another replay when there is a perfectly good game being played. And they aren't showing it until 8.30.

I am not sure what you, and others don't understand.

Collingwood/Carlton is the Channel 9 game in Melbourne, delayed telecast 4pm. They decide to go with Rugby League in the Northern States.

Believe me, Foxtel would gladly show the games we don't get here but just can't. Do you really think they would prefer a replay of a game last night over a live match? HELLO!

hammo
27th August 2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by deadan

You clearly have no idea how the broadcast schedule works.