PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow watch

ugg
27th August 2006, 10:53 PM
An update on how the favourites for the Brownlow went this weekend and how many votes they're likely to get.

Brad Johnson - 16 possessions 8 marks 6 goals - Best in a losing side. 3 and 2 will probably go to Fraser Gehrig and Rob Harvey. 1 vote
Simon Goodwin - 22 possessions 7 tackles 1 goal - A pretty good game but the majority of votes will go to Port and I think Tyson Edwards had a better game. 0 votes
Adam Goodes - 24 possessions 5 marks 6 tackles 1 goal. Blistering first half, pedestrian second half. Will be batting Ryan O'Keefe for the 3, and I think he might just get it for some memorable clearances on a very boring night. 3 votes
Scott West - 22 possessions 3 marks 3 tackles 1 goal. A subpar performance for West, who averages 29 possessions a game this season. 0 votes
Tyson Edwards - 31 possessions 8 marks 5 tackles 1 goal. In a battle with Danyle Pearce for the 2, behind Chad Cornes BOG performance. 1-2 votes
Cameron Bruce - 23 possessions 8 marks 5 tackles 1 goal. May snag a vote. 0-1 votes
Chris Judd - 26 possessions 3 marks 3 tackles 1 goal. I'd expect Freo players to get the votes with Cousins the Eagle most likely to poll. 0 votes
Nick Dal Santo - 26 possessions 4 marks 3 tackles 1 goal. Will be hard to top Gehrig and Harvey's performances. 0 votes

If Goodesy can get another 3 against Carlton he would have it in the bag IMO. Johnson is the main danger, while I reckon Judd is some distance from the lead.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 11:32 PM
I thought this was a merchandise thread...

swans05
28th August 2006, 12:47 AM
19 - Adam Goodes, Brad Johnson, Chris Judd
18 - Daniel Kerr *, Simon Goodwin, Scott West
17 - Nick Riewoldt, Paul Chapman, Peter Bell *
16 - Dane Swan, Tyson Edwards

SimonH
28th August 2006, 02:20 PM
Goalkickers don't get votes, going back a long long way. Brad Johnson may not only be a goalkicker, but that's what he is principally. Has kicked over 40 goals on 4 previous occasions without overly troubling the vote-counters. (BBBH is something of an exception to the 'goalkickers don't get votes' rule because he pushes up the ground and creates the play in a way that means he can have an outstanding game and only get one or two himself.)

Apart from Goodes' scintillating form, what's done him the most good is that JBolt and BBBH have fallen right off (at least by comparison with him). Whereas Kerr and Cousins have continued to take votes off Judd, Riewoldt off dal Santo, and Edwards off Goodwin. Scott West (despite Johnson) and Cam Bruce would appear to have an advantage in this respect. And, as ugg rightly identified, there's the added bonus that Goodes is an excitement machine in a Sydney side that, quite frankly, often plays boring (albeit effective) football.

I couldn't be bothered going through every game of the year, but I'm sure that you could make a respectable case without pushing the truth for Goodes to (already) be on about 30 votes. If he is BOG (or close to it) in the Carlton game, I can't see how a tipster would want to be on anyone else.

hammo
28th August 2006, 03:14 PM
Goodsey is now favourite on Centrebet...

GOODES, Adam (SYD) 2.50

JUDD, Chris (WCE) 4.50

WEST, Scott (WBD) 6.00

GOODWIN, Simon (ADEL) 8.00

COUSINS, Ben (WCE) 9.00

RIEWOLDT, Nick (STK) 11.00

EDWARDS, Tyson (ADEL) 21.00

DAL SANTO, Nick (STK) 26.00

JOHNSON, Brad (WBD) 26.00

BRUCE, Cameron (MELB) 34.00

Dave
28th August 2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I thought this was a merchandise thread...

No, that's what they knit the supporter's scarves with.;)

Industrial Fan
29th August 2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by hammo
Goodsey is now favourite on Centrebet...

GOODES, Adam (SYD) 2.50

JUDD, Chris (WCE) 4.50

WEST, Scott (WBD) 6.00

GOODWIN, Simon (ADEL) 8.00

COUSINS, Ben (WCE) 9.00

RIEWOLDT, Nick (STK) 11.00

EDWARDS, Tyson (ADEL) 21.00

DAL SANTO, Nick (STK) 26.00

JOHNSON, Brad (WBD) 26.00

BRUCE, Cameron (MELB) 34.00

Bruce would be a good bet at 34.00.

Johnstone is the only other real danger for him at Melb, and they did win 7-0 at one point. Not to be overlooked.

liz
29th August 2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by SimonH

I couldn't be bothered going through every game of the year, but I'm sure that you could make a respectable case without pushing the truth for Goodes to (already) be on about 30 votes. If he is BOG (or close to it) in the Carlton game, I can't see how a tipster would want to be on anyone else.

I think 30 votes would be pushing things a bit. I did an exercise yesterday (which I posted in the thread on the RWO Chat board) looking at who the RWO match reports (Ok, admittedly written mostly by Cliff and myself) identified as the best couple of Swans each game.

Even if Goodes got 3 votes in all those games we won, plus 2 in the WC loss and 1 in the Geelong loss, that would give him 27. And the reality is that he won't get 3 in all the 8 wins where he was in the best couple, particularly when you factor in the fact that the umpires often pull an odd selection out of the bag.

Captain
29th August 2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by liz
I think 30 votes would be pushing things a bit. I did an exercise yesterday (which I posted in the thread on the RWO Chat board) looking at who the RWO match reports (Ok, admittedly written mostly by Cliff and myself) identified as the best couple of Swans each game.

Even if Goodes got 3 votes in all those games we won, plus 2 in the WC loss and 1 in the Geelong loss, that would give him 27. And the reality is that he won't get 3 in all the 8 wins where he was in the best couple, particularly when you factor in the fact that the umpires often pull an odd selection out of the bag.

But we have won 13, not 8?

ugg
29th August 2006, 11:04 AM
8 games in which he was named among the best players. I don't think Goodes is anywhere near 30, but closer to 20. The good news is I don't think any of the other contenders are any higher than 20 at the moment.

ugg
3rd September 2006, 11:18 PM
Round 22 update:

Brad Johnson - 27 pos. 11 marks 5 goals. Will have competition from West (36 pos.) and Lucas (8 goals) but will tally something here. 2-3 votes
Simon Goodwin - 22 pos. Not impressive stats but I thought he was effective. 0-1 votes
Adam Goodes - 26 pos. 9 marks 4 goals. Just brilliant.
Scott West - 36 pos. 6 marks. Will fight it with Johnson. 1-2 votes
Tyson Edwards - 20 pos. 5 marks 1 goal. Don't think he will poll0 votes
Cameron Bruce - 33 pos. 11 marks. One of his best games for a few weeks 1-2 votes
Chris Judd - 24 pos. 5 tackles 3 goals. A high tally possession game for the whole Eagles side but Judd's eyecatching skills will make him stand out. 2-3 votes
Nick Dal Santo - 33 pos. 7 marks 7 tackles. Votes to be shared with Ball and M.Voss. 2-3 votes

My prediction:
Brad Johnson and Goodes to battle it out. I thought 3 would have been enough for Goodes this round but Johnson had another excellent game.

573v30
3rd September 2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Adam Goodes - 26 pos. 9 marks 4 goals. Just brilliant.
So I take it that's 3 votes... :D