PDA

View Full Version : Luke Vogels

SimonH
6th September 2006, 06:30 PM
Luke will be staying with us (http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/09/06/1157222168135.html) for a little while yet, barring contract negotiations breaking down badly. (Which doesn't seem terribly likely; it's not like he's Spida or something.)

While being named as an emergency almost every week might be frustrating, it would be a hell of a lot more frustrating never being named as an emergency. Luke has a future 'round these parts, and seems to know it.

Not sure if the Swans would be entirely happy that he talked out of school about contract negotiations while they're ongoing, but there you are. (Although-- I'm begging you-- don't turn this into another Nick Davis thread. Pleeeeeease.)

nomae
6th September 2006, 06:33 PM
i dont wanna sound mean but i hope MOL retires at the end of the year and lukey vogels will take his place in the team. micky retiring will open up the spot luke is dying for. he aint as talented as micky, but then again, who is?

swantastic
6th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by nomae
i dont wanna sound mean but i hope MOL retires at the end of the year and lukey vogels will take his place in the team. micky retiring will open up the spot luke is dying for. he aint as talented as micky, but then again, who is? Sort of agree with you punter,but i would miss MOL but i think Vogels could handle the spot uf forward fine.

hammo
6th September 2006, 06:55 PM
Vogels is good but he's not half the player Micky is

liz
6th September 2006, 07:00 PM
Completely different kind of player to Micky K (but then most are). Grundy seems the most likely to eventually step into a MOL-type role, albeit that he'd play it in a very different way.

I suspect Vogels will spend next year as a "depth" player, unless there is miraculous improvement in the off-season, but he is useful cover for injuries to the likes of LRT / B2 / ROK, maybe even Bazza and/or as an alternative to Richards.

He has talent - I suspect the main thing holding him back is a lack of fitness. But he's only been in the AFL system for a year and a half, and didn't even come straight out of the U18 system. So it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he'll eventually become fit enough to become a regular senior player.

swantastic
6th September 2006, 07:41 PM
Vogels,Teddy and Doyle will most likely play floating roles IMO.

Tuco
6th September 2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by nomae
i dont wanna sound mean but i hope MOL retires at the end of the year and lukey vogels will take his place in the team. micky retiring will open up the spot luke is dying for. he aint as talented as micky, but then again, who is?

MOL is still only 29, and will have only just turned 30 at the start of the 2007 season. As long as he's keen to play and his knees are holding up there should be no reason for him to retire just yet. The movement he gives us in the forward line and the headaches he poses for opposition coaches remains invaluable.

As for Luke, as Liz pointed out, he is only 23. And the Swans gave him a shot at the end of 2004 when no other team gave him a look in. So this really is only his 2nd year up here. No doubt his time will come shortly.

royboy42
6th September 2006, 10:25 PM
MOL retire?? are you guys serious?
He is still amongst the most feared forwards in the AFL.The kicking yips are a thing to be overcome, but every time he gets another long ranger, they go further away!
Last quarter of the GF he slaughtered Chick, SLAUGHTERED him, but kicking let him down..yet this year he has potted some beauties..and missed some.
I don't have assist figures but i am sure they reflect well on MOL. Still the master of the lightning, well directed handball to a guy in better position!

goswannie14
7th September 2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by royboy42
He is still amongst the most feared forwards in the AFL.The kicking yips are a thing to be overcome, but every time he gets another long ranger, they go further away!
Last quarter of the GF he slaughtered Chick, SLAUGHTERED him, but kicking let him down..yet this year he has potted some beauties..and missed some.
I don't have assist figures but i am sure they reflect well on MOL. Still the master of the lightning, well directed handball to a guy in better position! My thoughts exactly, the way magoc can set up things in the forward line more than makes up for the kicking yips.

stellation
7th September 2006, 09:29 AM
I don't have assist figures but i am sure they reflect well on MOL. Still the master of the lightning, well directed handball to a guy in better position!
How long does a forward get to get over the yips? It isn't like Mick has just contracted the disease in the past month.

NMWBloods
7th September 2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think he is amongst the most feared but he's certainly highly respected. However, as a forward kicking goals is important and it's a really lottery with him, far more now than in the past. He's had the yips for a long time.

BTW - great news on Vogels.

AnnieH
7th September 2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't think he is amongst the most feared but he's certainly highly respected. However, as a forward kicking goals is important and it's a really lottery with him, far more now than in the past. He's had the yips for a long time.

BTW - great news on Vogels.

Totally agree.
I adore Micky, but it hurts when he misses set shots from 15m out in front.
Can't (read: hope not to) see him retire any time soon.
Isn't he contracted till the end of 2007?
Vogels is only a baby swannie, he needs to beef up a bit more ... his time/turn will come.

timthefish
7th September 2006, 11:43 AM
with the quality of his leading, marking and body-on-body work micky creates about 50% more chances than most. additionally, he's been superb in creating goals for others. his only problem (and it's a biggie) is his set-shot accuracy, which he should overcome over the preseason if not before. he may never be deadly accurate again, but he should improve. (in the last five games he's kicked 11-6 plus a couple of oobotf)

also, how soon will he become a veteran?

AnnieH
7th September 2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by timthefish
with the quality of his leading, marking and body-on-body work micky creates about 50% more chances than most. additionally, he's been superb in creating goals for others. his only problem (and it's a biggie) is his set-shot accuracy, which he should overcome over the preseason if not before. he may never be deadly accurate again, but he should improve. (in the last five games he's kicked 11-6 plus a couple of oobotf)

also, how soon will he become a veteran?

He played in the '96 GF (albeit very, very young) ... I think he's about due his veteran status.

SimonH
7th September 2006, 01:16 PM
10 years at the club + you must be 30 (or turn 30 in the year you're put on the veteran's list).

MOL well and truly qualified for the former this year (perhaps even last year?), but will only qualify for the latter next year (i.e. he turns 30 in 2007). So he can go on the veteran's list in 2007.

A club can choose to list a player as an 'inside list veteran' (counted in your 38) or an 'outside list veteran' (not counted in your 38, but counted towards your total max list size which for Sydney is 47). I have no idea why a club would want to count someone as an 'inside list veteran'-- it may have something to do with salary cap concessions.

So one additional little issue is that MOL becoming an 'outside list veteran' will reduce by one the number of rookies that we can retain/draft.