PDA

View Full Version : 'The Goodes Fella'

Damien
9th September 2006, 10:44 AM
Robert Walls article here (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/09/08/1157222329443.html)

When he won the Brownlow Medal in 2003, I think Goodes would have felt a little embarrassed sharing the stage with recognised champions in Buckley and Mark Ricciuto.

If Goodes takes the ultimate honour three years later, no one will be surprised, and everyone will be satisfied that a true champion got what he deserved.

Not the biggest fan of those paragraphs however!! If you win it, you deserve it. Perhaps the word "honoured" as opposed to 'embarrassed' would have been better.

graystar
9th September 2006, 10:49 AM
I think that is as close as a complement Walls gives. He is still burning from the Roos fallout.

tawfiq
9th September 2006, 10:51 AM
this may be off topic, but dont you hate it when your watching the footy on channel 10 and they have robert walls and malcolm blight giving their theories and strategies? i dunno about you, but that really really burns me, and i reckon they would do better having no special comments and letting the audience be drawn in with the sound of the crowd and the players

Q...
9th September 2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by tawfiq
...robert walls and malcolm blight giving their theories and strategies?

Expecially given that they are both coaches that can't find a team. If no team values there opinion then what really is the value of telling the viewers?

graystar
9th September 2006, 11:11 AM
Robert Walls "This is what the swans do, they chip it around looking for a gap inside 50. They are the best in the competition at doing it"

Legs Akimbo
9th September 2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Damien
[B]Robert Walls article here (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/09/08/1157222329443.html)

[QUOTE]Goodes won his club's best and fairest and the Brownlow Medal. He was played basically as a forward who could push up to the midfield and had the occasional run in the ruck. Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin played permanent forward so they got the opposition's two best defenders.

I don't remember it that way at all. I thought he played most of that year in the ruck. He had 299 hit outs and kicked 20 goals so a better description would have been played in the ruck and somewtimes drifted forward to kick a goal.

tawfiq
9th September 2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Q...
Expecially given that they are both coaches that can't find a team. If no team values there opinion then what really is the value of telling the viewers?

boy they must have been burning when pagan got the job back and when it was likely that thompson would keep his at geelong,

goswannie14
9th September 2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe that Wally Walls reads RWO

Physically, Goodes is in his prime. He can leap, sprint, hit and run the distances far better than most. He thrives on running the legs off opponents. The position he plays nowadays is wing. Has there been a bigger winger, or one who covers so much ground? He picks up more loose-ball gets than any other Swan. He is ranked second for disposals into the 50-metre forward arc, and third for rebound 50s.

He averages a goal a game and had more than his fair share of hitouts. He also can do a tight tag job on a Chris Judd, for example, if required. He is three or four players in one.

Haven't we been saying this most of this season at least?

hammo
9th September 2006, 11:32 AM
I don't think any club would be interested in Walls. He is a has been coach and the game has passed him by. His "methods" of dealing with players behind the dressing sheds have no place in the modern era.

tawfiq
9th September 2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by hammo
I don't think any club would be interested in Walls. He is a has been coach and the game has passed him by. His "methods" of dealing with players behind the dressing sheds have no place in the modern era.

not saying any club wanted him, but he may have had high hopes and fancied his chances,

chammond
9th September 2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
I don't remember it that way at all. I thought he played most of that year in the ruck. He had 299 hit outs and kicked 20 goals so a better description would have been played in the ruck and somewtimes drifted forward to kick a goal.

Spot on . . . Goodes was All-Australian ruckman in 2003.

Walls is a master at changing the facts to suit his argument. He has been a constant critic of Goodes throughout his career, and particularly rejoiced at sticking the knife in in 2004 when Goodes was hampered by knee injuries.

"Damning with faint praise" probably describes his article quite well.

Danzar
9th September 2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by graystar
Robert Walls "This is what the swans do, they chip it around looking for a gap inside 50. They are the best in the competition at doing it"
Yes! To the letter.

nomae
9th September 2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by hammo
His "methods" of dealing with players behind the dressing sheds have no place in the modern era.
what were his methods??

AussieAnge
9th September 2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by nomae
what were his methods??

Wasn't he the one who organised a boxing match between two players?